STAR Financial Bank Employee Reviews

Co workers were fun
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 21, 2017
I learned a lot working in the banking industry. You definitely meet all types of people from various backgrounds. There is a lot of information that is required.
Poor training and management
Service (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 19, 2017
Equipment is old and not up to speed. Most of the branches are outdated and are mostly empty. Manager didn't come in most days and was rude to customers and always covering his behind. Customers were lied to and management would do nothing about it. My job was threatened when I told my boss about it and he told me to remember I could easily be replaced. A lot of complaints from customers that are never looked into and manager was very sexist. Gouge customers when they can and miss appointments. Go someplace else if you want to learn and be respected.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Lie, bad management and ask you to lie to customers to keep your job
Finding their place.
Travel Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJune 14, 2017
STAR is a great family bank. I worked in a region where STAR is still trying to find an active foothold in the market. It made my job difficult only because there was no foot traffic in the branches.
Excellent Workplace/Casual and Friendly
Laguna Hills, Sr. Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CAJune 7, 2017
I already completed this, please refer to the other duplicate entry for this employer. Thank you for your consideration. This was a great job I had for two years working on a variety of loans and with a variety of sources of loans.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Hard problematic files
management
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 10, 2017
There's a lack of management and most branches have no managers for months at a time leaving the branches to be ran by incompetent employees. Customers are usually upset because of all the new and different faces being ran through the branches.
STAR Financial Bank
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Marion, INApril 11, 2017
Staffing has been reduced to minimal levels, therefore when employees take a day off, it can get a little hectic. Advancement in this company is virtually impossible. However, this job has been beneficial towards giving me the necessary skills to use in another company.
Pros
The pay isn't too bad
Cons
Lack of staffing
Small Company
Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 4, 2017
Small company with one owner. Difficult to advance in the company or receive your check on time. Co-workers are great to be around, ok place if your are single or do not have a family to support.
Pros
Cons
non consistent pay
Productive, Fun and Caring
Junior Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CAJanuary 18, 2017
This job required strong work ethic and great attention to detailed. The coworkers get along very well. The manager is very understanding and caring. The pay is very well. Great job!
Great company
Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 9, 2017
Great company, family owned. The service center is newly renovated to meet employees ergonomic needs. Several opportunities to learn new banking concepts. The company is very tech friendly.
Pros
location and building
Good
General Manager, Dairy Queen Corporation, Ft (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 5, 2017
Good N/A All Good Much has been learned and have enjoyed the financial education. Will continue to grow in this industry..............................
Good
Updated work center
Call Center Rep II / Loan Servicing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 2, 2016
Enjoyed the positions held once learned. Could have done better with more training in each position. A lack of consistency in how to get things done - at the time of my training, there was no standard procedures of operations - each one got the same job done in their own way, which made learning how to get things done correctly, difficult. When I left, things were changing and procedures were being focused on.
Pros
Possibility of longevity
Cons
Being held accountable for unknown procedures.
Zero Respect, Plenty of Nepotism, Upper Management had it out for me
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 16, 2016
Greater production year over year, month over month. It didn't matter because someone in management had a target on my back. They were either intimidated or just simply didn't like me. Didn't matter how much business I was doing I was doomed from the start. If you want to work somewhere where you always have to watch your back then this is the place for you. If mediocrity is what you strive for and you can play the chess match with management then this is the place for you.
Pros
Operatons/support
Cons
Back stabbing, two faced, mob family ownership
Great learning experience.
Customer Svce Rep, Teller, and opened accounts (Former Employee) –  Fishers, IN 46037October 26, 2016
Received the "Charlotte Cozad" award for employee of the year for 2008. I was the only one that year from over 600 employees.
Pros
Comfortable job atmosphere
Cons
Not much promotion from within, family ownership
Terrible.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Marion, INJune 26, 2016
This is a slow moving company with little to no advancement opportunities. In the area I worked in, it was hard especially for a woman to advance in any facet of the company. They are not willing to compensate you for you what you are worth or for the responsibility you are given. Men make several dollars more an hour than women do, with the same work ethic and experience. This company is run by family members that take the profit for themselves. There is a lack of communication but micromanagement is at a surplus. Overall, a very negative work environment and a place I would avoid at all costs.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
consumer underwriter
Consumer Credit Group Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INJanuary 13, 2016
I worked for Star for nearly 3 yrs. I was released in downsize during the height of the recession. It was a great place to work, the primary owners of the bank are great people. If the opportunity came up to go back, I would do it in a heartbeat. Salary was not on a high end for sure but was fair. Overall work experience was A.
Pros
management, family owned bank
Cons
no significant cons
Very Productive Place
Bilingual, Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJuly 15, 2015
Excellent co-workers. Always happy to come to work. Learned to deal with customers and solve problems. Learned a little on Sales.
Nice atmosphere and cool new renovations at service center
Intern (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 6, 2014
It is a nice place to work. The work is pretty repetitive but not complex.
STAR experience
Web Designer / Developer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 10, 2014
Working at STAR was a great experience, I was able to learn and establish a career in web and technologies, while growing my interpersonal and presentation skills.
Good staff - quite a bit of nepotism
Mortgage Banker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 3, 2014
Most employees are friendly and they truly want to do well by the customer but there is quite a bit of nepotism and they tend to change their "long term plan" often. Much of upper management is somehow related to the families that own the bank. Some are qualified, some are not.
Pros
Friendly staff, do right by the customer.
Cons
Nepotism, lack of focus
Great Family Owned Business
Loans (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJune 5, 2014
Great work environment. Wouldn't change the office environment for the world. They could be a little more competitive with their wages. HR needs to revisit the MTO scedule to allow employees to borrow future time off accrual so 90% of their employees aren't taking vacation in the 3rd and 4th quarters of the year. Overall, great place to work. Management is great, slow to retire which speaks to the company. Moving up is hard due to this, but not always a bad thing. It gives you more time to learn things the right way.
Pros
Great Environment, Friendly People, Work life balance is excellent
Cons
Salary, Mto, slow growth so little chance for advance