Star Furniture Employee Reviews in United States

ACCOUNTS PAYABLE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 24, 2015
This is my first job out of college and they have taught me a lot and challenged me to reach and exceed my potential. Fun work place with supportive management.
Pros
Benefits, co workers, and holidays
Cons
pay
Life style challenge
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasNovember 9, 2014
A typical day at work is unpredictable at best simply because it is retail. There are days when you wait hours before you get a customer and there are others that you are so busy you don't stop for 8 to 10 hours. I have learned to do my best at every opportunity since it is 100 percent commission. Management does the best they can do with the business climate and the many problems and personalities they have to deal with. A wide variety of personalities, cultures and complaints where there is never a dull moment. The hardest part of the job is waiting your turn to get a customer. The most enjoyable is the challenge of selling to a variety of personalities, adapting to them as part of the selling process and the people I have the opportunity to meet.
Pros
no ceiling cap on salary because it is commission.
Cons
not condusive to family living.
productive and a fun place to work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 5, 2015
Great management team. great customer that spend a great deal of money fun top notch furniture. xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxo
Very structured atmosphere
employee (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INDecember 28, 2014
A typical day begins with being yelled at about the day before, and how to make it better today. Each customer is treated like a number by members of management. There is only one break a day most days and none on Sunday. You are not allowed to sit unless your position requires it, and any integrity is frowned upon while working. Most of the managers are great to work with, however, the sales manager is rude and condescending and the hardest part of the job is working with her. She treats employees and customers like dirt and talks about everyone behind their backs. She talks about other managers to employees and complains about everything. My favorite part of my job is working with different people on a daily basis and I have learned how to keep my cool in stressful situations. The culture here is highly structured with no wiggle room at all.
Was not a bad job, depending on location
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  HoustonMay 14, 2015
a typical day is slow majority of the time
I learned a lot about myself and capabilities
management could have done a lot better
enjoyed working with certain personalities
the hardest part on a daily basis was to guess the mood of management
the most enjoyable part was sharing laughs with coworkers on down time
Great workplace with summer cookouts and workplace lunchtime kithcen
Delivery Driver/Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Anmoore, WVJanuary 20, 2014
Drove stock picker/fork truck to get furniture, checked and rewrapped all furniture. Delivered and set up all furniture to customer specifications the next day.I learned many life lessons and workplace know how from this job and consider it a great place.Management are overall good and fair.Some of the best 'help whenever possible" coworkers when i was there.Some of the furniture was really heavy or/and awkward as well as some of the houses/businesses.I liked just about everything about this job.
Pros
good work enviroment
Cons
sometimes have to work really long hours due to customers.
Deliveries
Delivery/Driver (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJApril 22, 2013
On a typical day at Star Furniture the work day begins at 9:00am and ends at 7:00pm on Monday through Saturday. At this employment I have learned how to professionally deliver and assemble furniture to customers. I have also assisted in service calls for repairs on damaged or broken furniture. Management was fair and reasonable. My coworkers were easy going and very helpful in teaching me the ins and outs. The hardest part about my job is carrying heavy furniture. The most enjoyable part of my job is being outdoors and working with others.
Cons
no healtcare and very long hours.
Online presence
Online Customer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2015
Getting customers in contact with the right person or department to assist with their issue. Online presence for the company. Processing order for the online store. Answering general questions.
Beautiful environment with amazing people. An amazing product is easy to sell.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMay 1, 2014
This is an incredible work environment. My colleagues and management are kind, supportive, and always available with help and knowledge about the products and industry. We work together very well. The furniture is beautiful and competitively priced. I always feel good at the end of the day when I've sold these products to my customers. We sell furniture in the good/better/best range and our customer service from sale to delivery to resolution of complaints is beyond any company I've ever worked for. The scheduling is tough. I can only stick with the hard schedule because I love this job so much. I love my colleagues, my management, my customers, my products-- and truly, I love the job of sales.
Pros
free lunches for mandatory scheduling, special events (like christmas and cinco de mayo) are fun, house calls with licensed designers, special orders when we create unique pieces of furniture, bonuses for certain types of sales quotas, personal discounts on our own furniture.
Cons
we work all weekend, every weekend. once a month, i attend a mandatory sales meeting 30 miles away at 8 am on my day off.
It`s was a good work place.
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2015
I love the people i work with. And it a nice place to work or good company to work with. great job good benefit. Great management
it hurt so bad to make the decision to move closer to home.
executive secretary ar and ap. (Former Employee) –  hwy 10 katy texasJune 21, 2015
after getting my daughter graduated with honors with her regeistered nursing certificate. i decided to take a much saught after job 2 miled from home. star was very much like my family. my boss and i were very close and made like time friend. i will always miss being there.
Productive fun place to work
Customer service & collections on furniture loans (Former Employee) –  16666 BARKER SPRINGS RD HOUSTON TX 77084October 10, 2012
Very nice job for beginners & all as I started my collections career with this company & like it very much because of great benefits in return
Pros
bonus every month per quotas
Cons
n/a
The employees and management were like family.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 21, 2012
Greet customers and provide information on product they were in search of. Learned alot about furniture and how it was made, and the different grades of quality. management was always availaible and every one, even mgrs were on a first name basis. Coworkers very helpful at all times, the hardest part of the job was the new products and the product knowledge associated. The most enjoyable part of the job was the family atmosphere of the store, very comfortable.
Pros
great hours, great perks for good sales months.
Cons
nothing really.
Work Day
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Webster, TXMay 12, 2015
This was apprenticeship position. I would monitor the work source computers and update daily. Was taught how to ghost images, monitor computers from different locations, server knowledge This was a wonderful learning environment. .
Always up beat, everybody knows each other
Head Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INMay 9, 2012
Come in and load truck, checking each item for damage. Learned how to manuever fruniture into tight places and how to fix damaged items. Management treated you well like you were a person and cared. Co workers there were great and got along real well. Hardest part of job is carrying the heavy couches up flights of stairs. Best part was seeing ther customer so happy when we delivered the ir items to them.
Pros
got in better shape
Cons
heavy lifting, possible damage on items
Administrative Assistant to V.P. Credit (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 22, 2012
The management here is good and employees seem happy. Benefits are good.
no life, extended work hours, often times nonprofitable, incompassionate to sales
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2013
I've loved all my workplaces, esp. with AIG, you can help clients achieve their financial goals. But there comes a time when employee human relationships value for the benefits of performance. Lee Iacocca "PEOPLE,PRODUCTS, and PROFITS", are what matters in bussiness
Pros
environment, creating a home or lifestlye
Cons
no interpersonal relationship skills in some areas
Competitive and fun!
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJune 4, 2014
Enjoyed all the trainings, strong motivational meetings, great retail environment especially if you enjoy design and interior decorating.

Great management!
Collections via phone -Scheduling repossessons and skip tracing
Accounts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2013
Got better opportunity with another company-but did enjoy my time with company, got discounts on merchandise
Pros
learning more on skip tracing through different programs
Cons
compensation
Negative Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 28, 2012
Very micromanaged in a relatively unchallenging position. The manager gives "error tickets" for any sort of mistake, no matter how small.

There is absolutely no positive reinforcement. Rather than trying to provide a positive environment for both customers and employees, most of the energy is focused on pushing blame away from the manager towards sales associates, warehouse workers, input clerks, and even towards customers.

I also work 10 hour shifts on Saturday's, with one 30 minute lunch break.

Sales Associates are not allowed to talk to the General Manager.

There is a very high turn-over rate, new employees often quit after one or two shifts. I'm still working here because I need the money.
Pros
donate profit to charity
Cons
long shifts, short lunch breaks, negative atmosphere, strict point system