Star Transport, LLC Employee Reviews in United States

fun work place
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJune 7, 2015
Hardest part of the job was I had never worked in claims before had to learn all the different steps it takes to file a claim with a trucking co.

co-workers were very friendly and easy to work with would help me any time I needed it or if I had questions . We would have a few min. to joke around and then back to work

A typical day get to work get my cup of coffee lol turn on computer and check work ph. for messages . check e- mails return calls to drivers needing to make a claim on an incident or accident they had after hours or over the weekend. Follow the steps to process the claim. take my lunch between 12 - 1 back to work till 3:30 or 4:00 pm then home for the day
Pros
some days a pot luck lunch with fellow co-workers and everyone got a cake on there birthdays
Cons
ins no good
Been too long...
Tractor Trailer Operator (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 19, 2015
It has been too long since I worked there to write a proper review. When I was there they had the same problem as many other companies, good working conditions & decent pay scale but managers poorly schooled in employee/management relations. Hopefully; they have used the information available over the last 15 years to fix that. It IS a good company!
Pros
Nice equipment, good home time, decent pay
Cons
Poor employee/management relations
Glad you're gone. Sorry you stayed too long
Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJune 27, 2016
I'm sitting here reading some of your reviews of this company and I find it utterly ridiculous the love-fest that is going on. Let me tell you my truth.

I started off out of school. The mile started off decent, nothing to right home about. For whatever reasons my miles started getting lower and lower. My final breaking point was when I did a whopping 900 miles for the whole week. So imagine what my bring home amount was.

My second breaking point was when I received a phone call that my mother was rushed to the ER. I let them know in plenty of time but they gave me that BS about they didn't have any loads heading home but promised me that they will send me there the following week. Well the next friday came around and they sent me to NY instead of home. I told them about it and another lame A excuse was brought to me. They would send me home from the East Coast. Instead of sending me home they found a load sent me through Tennessee to pick up a driver who had broken down and the reload sent me to Green Bay. That's when I gave the driver my truck and load since the whole reason for picking him up was to go to the terminal to get a new truck.

As for home time I have had moments where I literally spent as much as 6 weeks on the road before I ranted enough for them to send me home to see my kids.

I've lost a home, a car, and my family thanks to Star.

Sorry to see other drivers out of jobs but as for the company as a whole YOU REAP WHAT YOU SEW!!!
Pros
Giving new drivers a chance to get started in the industry.
Cons
Everything I said is the absolute truth
Great Company
Fuel Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 28, 2015
Very personable and management staff is outstanding!
My 1st year earnings exceeded what I thought I would make.

It's ALL up to you how much you make and they will ensure you stay within the FMCSA regs.
Pros
Great Attitudes
Cons
12 hour shifts
A great place to work.
OTR Transportation Driver-Peterbilt (Former Employee) –  Morton Il.April 18, 2014
A typical day work consist of droping and hooking trailers from one location to the next. I've learned how to operate a tractor trailer through out the city street vs driving on highways. Co-workers @ my job we work as a team in order to get the jobs done in a timely matter. The hardest part of the job is the constant cranking of dolly legs. The most enjoyable part of this job is the team setiing.
Excellent equipment, miles
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 8, 2013
Company was truly excellent when I started in 1996-98. Had a great dispatcher, good equipment, great miles. Good benefits. Good home time. All that fell off for a while when the new owner took over, like he didn't really care about the drivers or their lives outside the company. Seems to have changed back some lately.
Pros
Excellent equipment, miles, pay, benefits.
Cons
Bad management, low esteem for the company for a few years.
Transportation
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 21, 2015
my review of star is that they offered good pay and benefits with travel. there training program is good they are a good company to work for
Pros
travel
Cons
not enough time off
not a driver friendly company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILApril 8, 2013
if you like to sit and wait in a truck that you cant idle to stay warm or cool, then this may be the company for you. there idle policy is horrible. idle time must be under 30% which would not be too bad if you ran a lot. but when sitting in Laredo for 48 hours trying to stay cool , or sitting in Illinois during a winter storm due to the interstate being shut down. you will pass 30% fast. then they will dock you .06 on the mile for 90 days. don't rev the truck over 1400 rpm or you will get docked as well. trucks are junk and falling apart. the truck gets fixed only if it is a major problem. the guys in the shop do their best but management keeps them from doing what really needs to be done.
be ready to get inspected at most every weigh station. there fmcsa scores are horrible.
Cons
everything, stay away, run as fast as you can.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Morton, ILNovember 10, 2012
everyday is a typical day at work. I have learned to be a good, safe driver.Management is okay, but would like to work locally. I get along with my co-workers, but I rarely see anyone. When I am away from home for a long period of time. I enjoyed traveling the world, but need time to spend with family now.
good money nice trucks and the other drivers were cool
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Selma, CA.April 14, 2013
Hauling containers was fun when I got used to the ports, but when I would get caught in the port at a busy time it could take all day
Pros
good money, and good coworkers
Cons
not real good benefits, and the boss yelled a lot
The average OTR company
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJanuary 24, 2015
Maintain vehicle inspections and DOT regulated logbooks. My personal experience was that they told me I would be home every weekend.
Good job, paid good money.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 2, 2014
One week I drove 2,800 miles. and earned 900 $. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling, getting a piece of mind
Pros
paid good, good benefits, i got to traveled the world.
Cons
bad management .
Run u to death with no reguard for ur safety
OTR TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILApril 9, 2012
Very poor pay , did not follow with ur required 10 hour break and tried to lie to u to get u to run harder for them, also never got home with them
Pros
gave me a job right out of school
Cons
everything else
not a good place to work.
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 1, 2014
Nothing good about this place except that they will get you started in truck driving.No communcation at all never go home ,they take all day to fix your truck.
Pros
learn to drive
Cons
no home time at all.
good learning experience
Trailer Mechanic, Full-Time (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILDecember 11, 2014
dealing with drivers and working on semi trailers and dealing with dot inspections
Pros
money good
Cons
out of break
Very diverse atmosphere.
Maintenance Director (Former Employee) –  Morton,IlFebruary 18, 2014
Everyday was a challenge. Really like the people I worked with and the multitasking i did from day to day.
Pros
Great place to work at.
Cons
Health Insurance was not that great.
otr truck driving
company driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 17, 2013
driving and pick up and delivery over the road, map reading and all paperwork, might see some co workers at places we would pick up or deliver at. away from home seeing the country

didnt really care for how this buisness
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILFebruary 10, 2013
i sat alot waiting for loads to come through. would run you into the ground and most of the time made you run illegal hrs.
Pros
nothing really
Cons
everything about it
I loveed working for star transport
Over The Road Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJanuary 1, 2013
Pay was great I got a chance to travel and see new places and learn new things about the road
Pros
travel daily
Cons
away from home to long
Good pay, not enough time home
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Morton, ILFebruary 27, 2013
Good pay, just not enough home time, and communication with dispatch is not the best.
Pros
no down time
Cons
trucks break down constinent