Star Transport Employee Reviews

Star Transport is a good place for new drivers.. ONLY
CDL A OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMarch 26, 2017
Im grateful that I had an opportunity to work for Star Transport, I started there as a new driver they had great equipment too. they had good dispatchers and where very helpful with drivers.
Pros
Good Starting Place
Cons
Salary Not Good
deliver semi loads
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJanuary 30, 2017
Picked up and delivered semi loads all over the country. Seen the mountains and the beach. It was fairly easy working for this company.
Pros
got to see alot
Cons
didnt get home enough
1 of the worst companies i ever worked for!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Il.January 22, 2017
Lies lies lies. Inconsiderate, disrespectful, stupid, etc. Heard they're gone, good. I knew they wouldn't last. Horrible attitudes. I think they were racists and bigots. Horrible place.
Pros
Cons
Tons
i loved this job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJanuary 2, 2017
i loved working with my co workers and bosses there was nothing hard about this job and and i enjoyed everything about this job the job is well worth working there
Pros
i loved this job
Cons
there is no cons about this job
Good freight
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILDecember 27, 2016
I worked at Star almost 19 years so in that time you often form a love/hate relationship with a company. I liked the job and unlike the other jobs I reviewed, I didn't have much contact with anyone in the company, which was great, as long as you did your job, dispatch didn't want to hear from you. Everything was done via on board computers. At first it was great, I got to the top pay in about four years, top pay went up once and then nothing for 13 years, in fact after 2008 they stopped contributing to our 401k. So I lost any enthusiasm for the company and being over the road. I took leave in Dec 2013 but due to a error in HR I was listed as voluntary termination which was a surprise to me since I still had a week of vacation but they paid me for my vacation and offered my job back but I decided to find a local job instead.
Pros
no hassle dispatch an good freight
Cons
over the road and poor pay and benefits
Glad you're gone. Sorry you stayed too long
Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJune 27, 2016
I'm sitting here reading some of your reviews of this company and I find it utterly ridiculous the love-fest that is going on. Let me tell you my truth.

I started off out of school. The mile started off decent, nothing to right home about. For whatever reasons my miles started getting lower and lower. My final breaking point was when I did a whopping 900 miles for the whole week. So imagine what my bring home amount was.

My second breaking point was when I received a phone call that my mother was rushed to the ER. I let them know in plenty of time but they gave me that BS about they didn't have any loads heading home but promised me that they will send me there the following week. Well the next friday came around and they sent me to NY instead of home. I told them about it and another lame A excuse was brought to me. They would send me home from the East Coast. Instead of sending me home they found a load sent me through Tennessee to pick up a driver who had broken down and the reload sent me to Green Bay. That's when I gave the driver my truck and load since the whole reason for picking him up was to go to the terminal to get a new truck.

As for home time I have had moments where I literally spent as much as 6 weeks on the road before I ranted enough for them to send me home to see my kids.

I've lost a home, a car, and my family thanks to Star.

Sorry to see other drivers out of jobs but as for the company as a whole YOU REAP WHAT YOU SEW!!!
Pros
Giving new drivers a chance to get started in the industry.
Cons
Everything I said is the absolute truth
This position was fast paced and crazy. It was OK just long hours and little pay. The staff was great though. It was ok the whse manager was crazy.
Transportation/Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILNovember 24, 2015
fun work place
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJune 7, 2015
Hardest part of the job was I had never worked in claims before had to learn all the different steps it takes to file a claim with a trucking co.

co-workers were very friendly and easy to work with would help me any time I needed it or if I had questions . We would have a few min. to joke around and then back to work

A typical day get to work get my cup of coffee lol turn on computer and check work ph. for messages . check e- mails return calls to drivers needing to make a claim on an incident or accident they had after hours or over the weekend. Follow the steps to process the claim. take my lunch between 12 - 1 back to work till 3:30 or 4:00 pm then home for the day
Pros
some days a pot luck lunch with fellow co-workers and everyone got a cake on there birthdays
Cons
ins no good
Transportation
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 21, 2015
my review of star is that they offered good pay and benefits with travel. there training program is good they are a good company to work for
Pros
travel
Cons
not enough time off
Been too long...
Tractor Trailer Operator (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 19, 2015
It has been too long since I worked there to write a proper review. When I was there they had the same problem as many other companies, good working conditions & decent pay scale but managers poorly schooled in employee/management relations. Hopefully; they have used the information available over the last 15 years to fix that. It IS a good company!
Pros
Nice equipment, good home time, decent pay
Cons
Poor employee/management relations

Want to know more about Star Transport?

Ask a question
The average OTR company
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJanuary 24, 2015
Maintain vehicle inspections and DOT regulated logbooks. My personal experience was that they told me I would be home every weekend.
good learning experience
Trailer Mechanic, Full-Time (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILDecember 11, 2014
dealing with drivers and working on semi trailers and dealing with dot inspections
Pros
money good
Cons
out of break
Good job, paid good money.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 2, 2014
One week I drove 2,800 miles. and earned 900 $. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling, getting a piece of mind
Pros
paid good, good benefits, i got to traveled the world.
Cons
bad management .
Good company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILAugust 29, 2014
good company to work for but lack in dispaching skills and care for drivers
its not STAR anymore
CAT Representative/CSR (Former Employee) –  morton ilJuly 6, 2014
I loved this job, the work, the pay, the people. unfortunately the company was leased to SWIFT and they downsized 90%
Enjoyed working as a team member
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 31, 2014
It was a typical work place with its up and downs.The hardest part of the job was getting laid off
not a good place to work.
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 1, 2014
Nothing good about this place except that they will get you started in truck driving.No communcation at all never go home ,they take all day to fix your truck.
Pros
learn to drive
Cons
no home time at all.
A great place to work.
OTR Transportation Driver-Peterbilt (Former Employee) –  Morton Il.April 18, 2014
A typical day work consist of droping and hooking trailers from one location to the next. I've learned how to operate a tractor trailer through out the city street vs driving on highways. Co-workers @ my job we work as a team in order to get the jobs done in a timely matter. The hardest part of the job is the constant cranking of dolly legs. The most enjoyable part of this job is the team setiing.
Very diverse atmosphere.
Maintenance Director (Former Employee) –  Morton,IlFebruary 18, 2014
Everyday was a challenge. Really like the people I worked with and the multitasking i did from day to day.
Pros
Great place to work at.
Cons
Health Insurance was not that great.
Needs leadership
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  morton ilOctober 14, 2013
I have nothing good to say at this point. The trainers need to be better evaluated. They no longer except recent school grads.