Star Transportation Employee Reviews

Family type atmosphere
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 26, 2018
It's a great company for people just out if truck driving school. Good training program and staff. New or Newer equipment. Easy dispatch and dedicated lanes. Light freight to haul..
Pros
Great time off during 4th of July and Christmas holidays. Home during the week and weekends.
Cons
Starter company
New Bedford's finest
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJanuary 2, 2018
A very good company to be working for.i started out as a driver But transitioned to dispatch and customer service. Improved the night calls by 300 percent over a six month period
Pros
Paid daily, free WiFi
Cons
No breaks
Straight Mileage
Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 26, 2017
Don't expect a lot of time off working for these guys. The guy pays straight mileage. The more you drive the more you make. If you take your time off they'll put another driver in your truck and leave you sitting.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
No life
Very nice place to work
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 14, 2017
Star is a very nice place to work if you are just starting out the have very good patients with people Thayer have a vey good management team nice trucks also
Pros
Free lu
Cons
Good company to drive for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNNovember 3, 2017
Once you get on your set route, it's yours until you either screw up or find a better route. Home time is good. Dispatch can be a pain, but that's expected.
Pros
Predictable route
Cons
Dispatch
Dispatch doesnt make sure you get paid
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  KentuckySeptember 29, 2017
At least once a month dispatch doesn't close out a load you finish and you have to wait until next pay period to get paid for it. I've never had a problem getting paid from any other workplace
Pros
Regular home time, dispatchers are decent
Cons
Inconsistent work, difficult runs, long days, inconsistent pay
slow
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 7, 2017
Slow paced work enviroment, wasnt enuff to feed my family..over all is a ok place to work for to start out with..the managment was ok and the dispatchers need a little work on getting drivers their loads that pay enuff.
Pros
ok trucks
Cons
not enuff money
Driver (Current Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 6, 2017
fast paced environment not enough communication between the fleet managers drivers and customers rely on drivers to handle the any situations that occur and problem solve and issues
Pros
home every day
Not Horrible
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 10, 2017
The pay was decent, home almost every weekend. Only reason I left was due to the nature of my run which required me to take my 10 hour rest break on the side of a busy highway just outside of St. Louis, MO. Also, my fleet manager didn't seem to understand the amount of time it took to get from A to B in a truck governed at 64 mph.
Productive and fun
Tire Technician and General Vehicle (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 24, 2017
Great place to work. The only reason I left is because my career was not progressing in the direction that I wanted it to go, UP. After 3 years and several vacant positions to be filled, I was denied the chance to move up to fill said positions. Over all this may be one of my favorite places to have worked.
Pros
great people to work with and for
Cons
slow rank progression.
Not a good choice
Lift van driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 19, 2017
I understand you're in a jam and need a job. My advice pick another company. Why? Because you'll work hard and be always broke working for Airstar. Bottom line they do not value the drivers. Enter at your own risk.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Too many to list if I could give no stars I would.
Only stayed there for a short time
CDL A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNFebruary 28, 2017
I really couldn't experience much of the job because I haven't been there long enough. Even with this short time, I loved the respect and hospitality that I received. I only left them because they didn't have the local job that I wanted.
Customer Service / Dispatch / Compliance
Compliance / Fleet Manager / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 22, 2017
This is a good company to work for if you can agree with the management decisions.
For me, I was not able to comply with all the management request issued to me.
good place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 30, 2017
A good place to work, I had a local route. Sometime business was slow and I didn't work 40 per week. My supervisor was cool, and on point. Overall Star is a good place to work.
Pros
worked indepentedly
Cons
not enough hours per week
Great company
Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILDecember 15, 2016
Home every week good fast and strong trucks great people in the office and maintenance learned how the trucking business works
Productive and fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TnSeptember 12, 2016
A typical day consisted of loading and unloading the truck. My co workers were team players and we all went above and beyond the call of duty. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
short breaks
Gateway fuel hauling company
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 24, 2016
Star is a standard fuel hauling company along with the pro's and con's associated with the job. Working at Star you are encouraged to work independently once assignments are given. Not a bad company to work for.
Employer does not pay you as agreed in Orientation
Tractor-Trailer Driver (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNJuly 5, 2016
Company did not pay as agreed in orientation for my professional services. The company went to HireRight and gave me a defamatory statement about my work preformance because I resigned due to there failure to pay. This employer is a crook and has many other complaints from drivers who were not paid at all. I witnessed in there safety meeting drivers complaining of not being paid on pay day.
Pros
Good equipment, easy fill in distapch system.
Cons
Employer does not tell you the miles you run when dispatched.
Good company to start with
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 28, 2016
Training was sufficient, equipment was up to date, dispatch sometimes didn't get you home when promised. Management was fair and friendly.
Over the road truck driver.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILApril 18, 2016
Pick up my load at a certain time of the day and do all the proper pre-trip preparation maintenance for the road trip and the load. I had to make sure that my DOT (department of transportation) logs are updated and accurate. I learned how to read a map correctly, problem solve, and how to manage my time properly. The hardest part of the job was backing the 53 foot trailer into the docs. The most enjoyable part of the job is the traveling to different cities and states.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Being away from home for an extended amount of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Star Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.