Star Transportation Employee Reviews

Not a good choice
Lift van driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 19, 2017
I understand you're in a jam and need a job. My advice pick another company. Why? Because you'll work hard and be always broke working for Airstar. Bottom line they do not value the drivers. Enter at your own risk.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Too many to list if I could give no stars I would.
Only stayed there for a short time
CDL A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNFebruary 28, 2017
I really couldn't experience much of the job because I haven't been there long enough. Even with this short time, I loved the respect and hospitality that I received. I only left them because they didn't have the local job that I wanted.
Customer Service / Dispatch / Compliance
Compliance / Fleet Manager / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 22, 2017
This is a good company to work for if you can agree with the management decisions.
For me, I was not able to comply with all the management request issued to me.
Star transportation llc
Fuel Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXFebruary 20, 2017
A typical day starts for me at around 0200 and can last up to 15 hours. Star transportation is my first company that I have worked for hauling fuel, so you can say that everything that I learned in this indrustry was from them. However alot of things I had to learn the hard way because commiuncation is not always the best. I like delivering to our costumers and my dispatcher is one of the best that I have ever had in the trucking world.
Pros
COMPANY WORKS WITH ANY SCHEDULING ISSUES THAT MAY ARRISE
Cons
INFORMATION IS NOT ALWAYS FORTHCOMMING FROM THE HIGHER UPS.
Decent company. Inconsistent income
Cab Driver (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAFebruary 16, 2017
Star transportation is a decent company. My fellow workers are great people. I enjoy driving for this company but, I'm looking for a more reliable income. Some days you leave work having made a good about of money. Other days you may leave with little to nothing. This inconsistency is the only real concern I have with this company.
good place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 30, 2017
A good place to work, I had a local route. Sometime business was slow and I didn't work 40 per week. My supervisor was cool, and on point. Overall Star is a good place to work.
Pros
worked indepentedly
Cons
not enough hours per week
Great company
Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILDecember 15, 2016
Home every week good fast and strong trucks great people in the office and maintenance learned how the trucking business works
Productive and fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TnSeptember 12, 2016
A typical day consisted of loading and unloading the truck. My co workers were team players and we all went above and beyond the call of duty. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
short breaks
Gateway fuel hauling company
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 24, 2016
Star is a standard fuel hauling company along with the pro's and con's associated with the job. Working at Star you are encouraged to work independently once assignments are given. Not a bad company to work for.
Employer does not pay you as agreed in Orientation
Tractor-Trailer Driver (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNJuly 5, 2016
Company did not pay as agreed in orientation for my professional services. The company went to HireRight and gave me a defamatory statement about my work preformance because I resigned due to there failure to pay. This employer is a crook and has many other complaints from drivers who were not paid at all. I witnessed in there safety meeting drivers complaining of not being paid on pay day.
Pros
Good equipment, easy fill in distapch system.
Cons
Employer does not tell you the miles you run when dispatched.
Good company to start with
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 28, 2016
Training was sufficient, equipment was up to date, dispatch sometimes didn't get you home when promised. Management was fair and friendly.
Over the road truck driver.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILApril 18, 2016
Pick up my load at a certain time of the day and do all the proper pre-trip preparation maintenance for the road trip and the load. I had to make sure that my DOT (department of transportation) logs are updated and accurate. I learned how to read a map correctly, problem solve, and how to manage my time properly. The hardest part of the job was backing the 53 foot trailer into the docs. The most enjoyable part of the job is the traveling to different cities and states.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Being away from home for an extended amount of time
great place to work, awesome people to work for.
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 6, 2015
best people to work for. you can still have a good quality of life while working for this company. should have never left.
Good Work Environment
Midwest Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed my time at this company and gained more knowledge into the 3PL logistics.I would advocate others to seek employment here.
Pros
Good Work Environment
close knit work environment
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  TNOctober 7, 2015
wonderful company to work for. The office environment is relaxed and everyone is very friendly, including upper management. Most of the staff has been with the company for over 10-15 years and there is room to grow.
Pros
clean break room and friendly staff.
Truck driving all 48 all four seasons
Driver. OTR (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILAugust 13, 2015
long haul.. gave me a second chance, worked there for 2 yrs. bought out by swift transportation ..company went under closed.. love hate relationship over all merging of company's was a big hassle had to get hired for a second time because of the merge
Pros
good steady pay weather permiting
Cons
away from home no life
Great environment and management team
Dispatcher over 5 (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJune 29, 2015
A typical day at work consists of corresponding to emails, letters, faxes etc to efficiently guarantee the punctual delivery of fuel products and services to their destination.
Know what you're getting into
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 29, 2015
The vehicles could be great, and a few of them were, but many of the drivers themselves don't care for them as if they were their own. You really are at the mercy of your partner or whomever you share your vehicle with during a weekly lease. If they're filthy, leave their garbage all over the car, don't invest in cleaning products, and don't treat the car like their business, then you're in big trouble. If you take ownership of your car (and that includes being sure its inspected on time, brakes are checked, fluids topped, and you adhere to the maintenance schedule yourself) then your vehicle will always be there for you. The garage is staffed with a great group of guys who will bend over backwards for you, if you show them that you actually care about your vehicle and are respectful of their time. Make appointments and keep them. The mechanics are great. You need to take ownership of your car and communicate with the shop.

Lease programs are a bit expensive, but flexible. You can lease a vehicle yourself for the entire week, or split a lease with a "buddy", each of you taking a 12 hour shift with the car for seven days a week. You make your own schedule essentially, which is nice. They have different cars and wheelchair accessible vehicles and I highly recommend you consider one of the wheelchair vehicles. They run on inexpensive natural gas, requiring about $30 to fill when empty. You can safely transport four passengers in one of these, and you'll have the opportunity to work other trips like the VA hospital. These can be both profitable, and help you market your business.
  more... They have traction control, A/C, cruise, and are easy to keep clean with a little elbow grease. You'll need to undergo a few days of training to use the wheelchair vehicles, but its worth it. You'll have the ability to take different kinds of trips, expand your earning potential, and regular customers will love the leg room they get.Gas is a very real expense so if I were you, I would avoid the police interceptor models of the sedans they have. They really swallow gas and cut into your profit, and they don't have cruise for those long trips.

I strongly urge you to buddy up on your lease for the first few months, especially if you're new to this kind of work. The temptation will be there to get your own car 24-7, but its expensive and requires a LOT of dedication. If you have a family or a significant other, are in school, or just like to have some time for yourself, it's best to go in on a lease with someone else and not yourself. Drivers who get their own vehicle are either VERY seasoned, or VERY foolish. Give yourself the time to decide what kind of driver and business owner you'll be.

There's a ton to learn when you operate your own business, so expect a big learning curve your first few months. Working with the public is a huge part of this job so you have to accept that not everyone who gets in your car will be nice and pleasant. Common sense will get you far and I don't suggest you take any risks by putting the dollar in front of anything else. The vehicles do have cameras in them that record both the inside and outside of the vehicle, and they track the vehicle's system (brakes, turn signals, speed, etc) while you drive. If you're in an accident, they'll take out the camera card and review the footage. Its a big help to have someone watching your back all day and night.

Management overall is pretty good. If you're a little short on your lease, they'll work with you individually, and don't necessarily treat everyone the same. If you work hard, are outgoing, helpful, and treat your business with respect, they'll do the same for you if you find yourself in a jam. Some weeks aren't as profitable as others and they know you're behind the 8 ball. It's the drivers that take advantage of the help that don't go far. You can't let yourself get behind on your lease to the point that you're driving for them and not yourself. You can pay your lease a little bit at a time (at the end of every shift) or in one lump payment at the end of the lease for the week. When it comes down to it, you are on your own, but it's not necessarily a bad thing because you're operating your own business. Management doesn't really interfere with how you choose to run it, they just expect you to cover your lease on time and follow the thin rule book they have. They don't call you if you decide not to drive that day, nobody hounds you, you just choose to start and end your day when you want. There's tremendous freedom in this job, but you have to learn how to balance it out, and that's harder then it sounds.

Drivers have their own world, with their own unwritten rules and you'll need to learn them fast, regardless of what color your car is. If you ignore these rules (which are designed to create neutrality) then word travels fast, and you'll be an outcast. I've seen it happen in all kinds of interesting and creative ways.The airport lot has its own culture and many drivers only work the airport. Some days are great, they use their smartphones to keep track of when more arrivals are coming in. They know when the conventions are in town and when they end. Some of my best and most loyal customers didn't live in Pittsburgh and made reservations with me by e-mail in advance. Some drivers die at the airport, waiting for hours for a trip, others know when to go over there, and when to stay in town. Learning the ebb and flow of the world, as well as "the rules" helps you be be efficient and profitable.

Expect to have some start-up money when you start this job. You'll need a separate cell phone for business only. The last thing you want to do is give your personal cell phone number to a car full of drunks and have them calling you when you're trying to sleep. When your shift is over, turn off the phone. You're off duty. They'll leave a message if they want to schedule a ride. Be prepared to have business cards made, and spend some of your time getting to know local businesses and the hotel attendants. They'll be your best friend and will call you if you keep serving their guests promptly and politely. That goes double if they know you keep your car clean and ready to go.Get an appointment book and use it. You'll also want to consider a nice GPS that monitors traffic and not some no-name brand that will fail you when you drive headlong into an hour of rush hour traffic. If you work with the VA, you could drive several hours away and you have no idea where you're going until you literally get the trip. You can't afford to be lost when gas and time cost you money. VA trips have extremely high earning potential, so invest in solid tools to help you put money in your pocket. You'll also need to pre-pay your lease for your first week, but sometimes management will work with you on this by splitting up your payment into two payments or other ways. Just ask them. Also, it will be helpful to team up with a driver or two, helping each other with trips that have more people than you can fit into your car. Take a coffee break with a few of them, get to know them, weed out the weak complainers with the hard-working friendly drivers. Scratch their back with a trip, they'll most definitely scratch yours. Days and nights are long, and you won't be able to do it all yourself, so make friends and be friendly. You never know when your phone will ring with a great trip from another driver who was sick and stayed home when one of their steady customers called. Anything can happen in a moment's notice. Think and plan ahead.

The company CEO is a very nice guy, and he appears to want the drivers to be successful. I must admit, that there were times where I felt that how he saw his company blind sided him from seeing the big picture. How he saw his company was how it was, no matter what he was told. However, he had an open-door policy, he would listen to you, and I believe that he was generally interested in how your business was doing. He's a veteran and supports veteran causes and tries to hire veterans whenever possible. He's connected in the city and seems to do a lot of behind the scene work while drivers are out pounding the pavement. Star is a family owned business, and his sons do a lot with the company and they'll bend over backwards for you. Both of them called me personally to do round trips for VIP's for them on several occasions because I worked hard, ran a clean business, kept my vehicle clean, and was honest. They pay more attention than you think and are always watching. They have offices, a office staff, secretary, and everyone is nice and helpful. They'll absolutely treat you the way you treat them. Everything at star is a two way street.

This is a unique place and a very unique job. It's not for everyone and the responsibility is self-imposed and piles up fast. A job like this isn't on an employee basis, you'll be an independent contractor if you lease a vehicle. Be prepared for this, ask lots of questions, and be sure it's for you. You have to have a strong stomach for a job like this, and you need staying power. If you want a set hourly pay, this job isn't for you. You could go home with a stack of cash, or you might go home light. It happens to everyone, but tomorrow is another day so being patient and cool is really important. Take your licks and come back the next day and hit it. Overall, I'd recommend a job with star, assuming you're up for the many challenges that come with a job like this.
Pros
Freedom, unlimited earning potential, manage yourself/business
Cons
pay rate is never guaranteed, some drivers are miserable, your success is based on what you're willing to put in
Great place to learn from.
Valet Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 8, 2015
I've learned more to what school taught me, such a great place based on the staff who actually slow down from time to time to make sure your up to speed or just to see if you need help with anything.
Pros
Great work place, hands on help.
Cons
wish i didn't have to leave
Working at Star is a very good work enviroment.
Customer Service Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 11, 2015
I answer calls from customers and calls from drivers. I assign reservations to drivers. I take payments. I train reservationist.
Pros
We celebrate the holidays as a team and birthdays. Morale is very good with our team.
Cons
Lunch not long enough and very short staffed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Star Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7