STAR TRANSPORTATION Employee Reviews in United States

Over the road truck driver.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILApril 18, 2016
Pick up my load at a certain time of the day and do all the proper pre-trip preparation maintenance for the road trip and the load. I had to make sure that my DOT (department of transportation) logs are updated and accurate. I learned how to read a map correctly, problem solve, and how to manage my time properly. The hardest part of the job was backing the 53 foot trailer into the docs. The most enjoyable part of the job is the traveling to different cities and states.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Being away from home for an extended amount of time
close knit work environment
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  TNOctober 7, 2015
wonderful company to work for. The office environment is relaxed and everyone is very friendly, including upper management. Most of the staff has been with the company for over 10-15 years and there is room to grow.
Pros
clean break room and friendly staff.
Run....Run ... Run... The pay sucks for rolling with hazard around the city
Fuel Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 24, 2013
where do I start... First of all they are one of the few companies that will train you on tankers so that was one of the reasons why I went. Ok now ... the owner of this company lives in Arkansas and he will never leave Arkansas to come to his own place of business to even meet the drivers that work for him... Instead he sends his son here to the terminals to give all the drivers the same speech about why we not getting more money because they have to purchase trucks. the co workers we're cool, but you do have a lot of them up there that tell on everything... they are the only fuel company up here that break down your paycheck to the penny... they suppose to pay a set amount for a load but when you look at your check stub you will see that they are breaking it down by gallons.... they make your pay settlement so small to where you cant see it so less questions you will have to ask... they have other drivers who train you that have less than 2 months experience hauling fuel
Pros
they will train you on tankers
Cons
no advancement, no raises, vacation sucks how they pay it
Good Work Environment
Midwest Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed my time at this company and gained more knowledge into the 3PL logistics.I would advocate others to seek employment here.
Pros
Good Work Environment
Truck driving all 48 all four seasons
Driver. OTR (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILAugust 13, 2015
long haul.. gave me a second chance, worked there for 2 yrs. bought out by swift transportation ..company went under closed.. love hate relationship over all merging of company's was a big hassle had to get hired for a second time because of the merge
Pros
good steady pay weather permiting
Cons
away from home no life
OK place to work. There wasn't a lot of direction and it seemed like the way to do things constantly changed.
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 18, 2013
I worked part time here and would come in in the mornings and open up driver trip packs. I would sort them accordingly and enter all the data into the computer so that the payroll employees could pay them accordingly.

The management seemed to play favorites here and you could tell who was and was not a favorite. I was here almost 8 months and found out I was pregnant. Since I only worked part time, I was not offered health insurance. When the management found out I was pregnant, I was let go. They told me it was because they could no longer hold my position, but unemployment investigated and determined I was fired for being pregnant.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
didn't feel like they were concerned about their employees
Fun place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 15, 2012
Learned great customer skill an co-worker where ok nothing hard about the job enjoyed the work.
Pros
hometime
benefits
Great environment and management team
Dispatcher over 5 (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJune 29, 2015
A typical day at work consists of corresponding to emails, letters, faxes etc to efficiently guarantee the punctual delivery of fuel products and services to their destination.
a nice company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJuly 2, 2012
I like working for this company I just wasn't home much I was gone all the time,good benefits
Secure Employment/Good Benefits
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 12, 2011
Company has problems being honest from one department to another. But that's probably been handled by now. Management is professional and helpful. For the most part the company is fairly liberal even though the political stance seems conservative. This is (or at least was) a family owned operation, so opportunity for advancement, though there, is not often.
Productive And fun, lots of people.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXDecember 31, 2012
The training program is a little weak. So prior truck experience is a must.
They have a very understanding management staff. And work hard to resolve any problems.
Pros
time off during the day, holidays and good extra work choices.
Cons
strict work ethic, truck skills, leaderships skills are a must have.
Working at Star is a very good work enviroment.
Customer Service Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 11, 2015
I answer calls from customers and calls from drivers. I assign reservations to drivers. I take payments. I train reservationist.
Pros
we celebrate the holidays as a team and birthdays. morale is very good with our team.
Cons
lunch not long enough and very short staffed.
Interesting Industry
Dispatch Manager (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARMay 29, 2012
Interesting industry, family owned company with no room for advancement. Long hours leave me feeling unrewarded.
Pros
interesting industry
Cons
long hours with barely any time off
Great place to learn from.
Valet Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 8, 2015
I've learned more to what school taught me, such a great place based on the staff who actually slow down from time to time to make sure your up to speed or just to see if you need help with anything.
Pros
great work place, hands on help.
Cons
wish i didn't have to leave
Great company to work for
National Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 14, 2014
I learned almost all I know from this company. Mainly I obtained my customer service skills from this company, and found I was a natural, and they are good about advancing people from the inside. They always noticed when my work made a difference and how much extra time I spent. They listened and appreciated my ideas. The company is structured very well and runs and has stayed in business so long because what they do works and is successful. I would suggest this company to anyone looking for work and I would suggest them to any company looking for a new carrier.
Pros
they are just real good people.
Cons
no cons
Long distance driver
Delivery Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 2, 2014
Responsible for transporting goods from one place to another using heavy or tractor-trailer trucks. Operates trucks with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds per gross vehicle weight..
Perfect driving record
Strong ability to learn new computer technologies to improve delivery scheduling and tracking.
Accurate sense of direction and comprehensive visual memory.
Worked up to seven days a week, 12 hours a day
Very motivated, quick learner with good communication skills and work ethic.
Pros
good pay
Cons
away from the family
Great people to work for
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 27, 2014
My co-workers are very nice and easy to get along with. Management is very flexible with your schedule when you need time off for a doctor or dentist appointment. The hardest part of my job is having to be away from home during the week and having to start my days at 1:00 a.m. in the morning.
Never a dull moment, stay very busy
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARMarch 8, 2013
A typical day at my job: Go in at 6am and get reading of our stores that we inventory (ie:sams, krogers). Once I have current readings I start dispatching loads to drivers as they are ready for another load. I also talk to our customers on a daily basis and take several extra loads (orders) over the phone. There are deadlines that have to be met with each load that we send out to a driver. I am in constant contact with drivers, as well as my manager to keep them up to date on what is going on and if there are any issues. The hardest part sometimes is making the drivers and customers happy at the same time. The drivers get paid per load, so regardless if it pays good or not they must do the load if they are with in their legal hours. Sometimes that doesn't make them very happy. As far as customers go; sometimes it's difficult to make them happy with making sure loads arrive on time or the store does not run out of gas. But whatever the issues is as long as they are kept in the loop on what is going on they stay satisfied. Most enjoyable part of my job would have to be that there is never a dull moment in the office. There is always a new challenge to figure out; or a driver cracking jokes.
Pros
working 7 days a week then off 7 days
Cons
very long hours, stressful at times, not enough money
Not what i expected.
Student/ CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 21, 2014
Long days on the road an away from my family
an the pay was not flexible.
Build a good experience. Learn new how to use software like Quick-books on a daily basis
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Maintained payroll for a small company of two full time employees

Produced and distributed billing invoices

Ensured accuracy of work performed by balancing edits to source documents

Used accounting software such as Quick-books on a daily basis

Prepared and mailed W-2s as well as 1099 Misc. for contactors at year end.
Pros
great environment