STAR2STAR COMMUNICATIONS Employee Reviews

Challenging work but company still needs more maturity
Senior Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 4, 2017
A typical day at Star2star Communications involves solving a variety of phone system issues for clients that are submitted either by emailed trouble tickets or inbound calls. Extensive use of Linux command line is needed to troubleshoot Star2star's proprietary equipment. Trouble tickets can range from easily solved to rarely seen issues that pose a great challenge. The challenges are what makes the job more rewarding.
Worst Company Ever
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 13, 2016
I have worked at numerous companies and this one is by far the worst. When I left there were about 200 employees housed in an old airplane hanger which was never intended to house people. There were minimal one person toilets, no natural light, minimal amenities and very limited parking. Leadership and management was terrible. CEO/founder was remote and unapproachable. Most managers had little if any training. Title inflation was rampant. Pay raises were given only with promotions. There was no HR staff. Orientation was poor. Office was a maze of cubes and small offices with no windows. Place was very political with lots of favoritism and back stabbing. Some employees did almost no work and others worked very hard under heavy workload and lots of stress. Heavy turnover and low morale. Strongly advise being very careful if considering this company.
Pros
Cons
Many
VOIP professionals
Director of Application Development (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FL 34203November 30, 2016
Quality, reliable VOIP services is what we all strive for at Star2Star. Our teams work diligently to provide the best service to our customers.
Pros
Given the ability to push technology to match company's vision
Cons
Politics
Poor worklife balance, management disengaged
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 5, 2016
Star2Star's solutions was good, because it was built from the ground up it was pretty agile, top heavy leadership and poor back-office support due to fast growth. Solution has some glitches that are being reviewed according to the product road-map.
Pros
Great Technology
Cons
Disengaged Management
Fix everything as quickly as possible without breaking other things and oo yea don't forget to make this impossible thing happen too.
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 17, 2016
Star2Star is a good place to start your career, but I would not stay here longer than 2 years. They're constantly changing to meet their customers needs. Most of my day is spent just fixing bugs found by their business teams. I don't do a lot of developing and normally they want things done that doesn't have documentation or very little documentation. My manager is good because I can always come to him for help, but Star2Star I believe sees management as a way improve communication between teams. I disagree. At some level it becomes to chaotic and animosity is forming between coworkers and then people become promoted based on favoritism. I've worked here for about 4 months thus far.
Pros
Free soda, coffee, sometimes food in the breakroom
Cons
I work all the time. On average 50 hour weeks.
Great company to work for!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 4, 2016
This is a high paced driven environment where you can choose to shine or be mediocre. For those who thrive in that environment, it's a great place to be.
Benefits
Cons
Growing pains with processes, etc
Outstanding learning environment providing a great introduction into the software industry.
Jr. Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 21, 2016
Working at Star2Star Communications is a fun, exciting challenge, as the company is constantly evolving along side the software community. The technologies and best practices used to implement and maintain their UCaaS platform provide a solid foundation for software developers of all levels. Developers work in a fast-paced, adaptive environment to implement and maintain systems that meet customer need. The development team collaborates to the best of their ability to implement and deploy quality solutions. The constant change certainly poses the biggest challenge in a development position, however, it is outstanding experience that promotes team and individual growth. The most enjoyable parts of working for Star2Star are working together with a team toward a common goal and the satisfaction of seeing results that manifest from a combination of learning & creativity.
Pros
Good Company Culture
Cons
Under-Compensation
Small Company Atmosphere
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 25, 2016
This is an ok place to work. There are many changes here all the time to process and employees, There are lost of management changes all the time.
Fun Workplace
Number Porting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 14, 2016
Great work environment, friendly people, weekly bible study and random Nerf gun fights. All in all a fun work environment.
Great Workplace, Management can be tough
Cash Applications Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 11, 2015
I have had a great experience at Star2Star Communications. They have wonderful management and role models who are willing to help you grow and improve in the work place. The higher management can be disconnected and can be uncooperative at times.
Pros
Coworkers, benefit, 1st Level Management
Cons
Upper Management, Job Security with New Management
Sweat Shop!
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota,FLSeptember 2, 2015
Pros
Cons
See my review.
Great job if you are entrepreneurial and enjoy taking on new challenges!
Senior Talent Scout (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 26, 2015
Star2Star is a great place to work. My experience has been extremely positive. I have had a chance to participate in work that I had experience in, and also learned a tremendous amount in my first year about things I had no experience with, but I had a willingness to take on. That is what you will find here: Because we are a lean organization and a startup that is scaling rapidly, you will have to multitask and take on new things frequently, many times presenting to Senior level management several levels higher in the organization. I am energized by this so it has been a great fit for me. If you want a more traditional or clearly defined role in some cases, then it will take some time to adjust. I love the steady diet of new challenges and seeing the positive impact of what I do on the organization. I have also found a great team of colleagues to work with at Star2Star!
Pros
Opportunity, advancement, compensation, great colleagues
Great Company/Rude people
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  sarasota, FLApril 19, 2015
I enjoyed working at Star2Star for the most part however some of the "managers" made working there very difficult. There was so much work to be done with little or no recognition. I've had to train several people just to watch them become my manager or advance into a better job than I had. Overall, Star2Star is a great company with outstanding benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Too many "managers"
Poor organization and poor management
Staff Accountant-Temporary (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 6, 2014
This is an extremely unprofessional company. I constantly had to listen to gripes and complaints from fellow employees. I'm a very positive person and by the end of the third week I was glad my assignment was over. Listening to profanity all day and the constant barrage of negativity was really telling. They openly would make negative remarks about my staffing agency consultant. Very unprofessional. Don't ask too many questions either, the common response from my manger was in a normal office this isn't the way it is done, but this is the way we do it here. Stay away.
Pros
Cons
Poor manangement, Poor structure, Poor training
Small startup VoIP company with low pay
Support Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 3, 2014
I was the support admin. and left after 4 months due to a pay rate that did not allow me to live on.
Pros
free lunch once a week
Cons
poor pay rate for high volume of work and poor benefits
I've been here 6 months and love it
marketing (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 13, 2013
No job is perfect but this one is pretty good, I get paid fairly for my job (yes, I'd always like more) but we are in Sarasota, FL which is pretty close to paradise and the pay definitely isn't bad. Overall the people here are great. Yes there are 1 or 2 that can be difficult but they are not in my department and I try to be direct with them when we have issues and that has worked well. I also work for someone who is incredibly smart and I believe is invested in the companies success and more importantly my personal success. The company does expect a lot out of you but if you've ever been at a start up before that is the general work environment you need to expect.
Pros
Subsidized lunches, family events
Terrible nightmare
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  sarasotaFebruary 8, 2013
Poor management. VERY poor!!! I feel bad every time I see a new employee come on board! I know they are coming in with such optimism but let them meet the boss man! Nightmare! Treats employees like dirt. All upper management treat the employees like toilet paper. See my comment on the other review. This place is terrible! Steer clear!
Pros
your coworkers know how much the company stinks as you do!
Cons
everything else!
Lots of fun
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 26, 2012
Lots of fun, laughter, and joy increasing the level of productivity throughout the finance and accounting departments. I learned many Excel functions including pivot tables and v-lookups and applied them regularly. In addition, I gained vast amounts of knowledge on phone and email etiquette while contacting customers. Management was effective yet completely understanding of any circumstances and encouraged flexible schedules.

The most enjoyable part was having the such knowledgeable colleagues in the fields of finance and accounting.
Pros
free unlimited k-cups along with lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STAR2STAR COMMUNICATIONS. Our community is ready to answer.

STAR2STAR COMMUNICATIONS Reviews by Location