Starbucks

7.3K reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

What people are saying about Starbucks

• Working at Starbucks was stressful at first
  • Free pound of coffee
  • Working at Starbucks is all coffee and customers
  • See more...
Found 6,076 reviews matching the search
Fun but fast paced.
Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WAFebruary 10, 2016
This is a job that takes the right kind of person who has great customer service skills and able to multi-task. It requires flexibility and a positive work ethic.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Short Staffed
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier/ Barista (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
Starbucks its a very cool and collective place to work . Its very fast pace and from time to time there's some breaks in between . However in the beginning may seem not like an easy job with all the drinks and different styles of making each one . But after a few weeks you'll get the hang of it . Its very easy .
Pros
Very flexiable
Cons
Short Shifts
Enjoyed working in an ice arena and setting up for the events.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAFebruary 10, 2016
Worked in a high retail environment and helped as many as 50 customers daily with skate rentals and membership purchases. Also helped set up for events such as concerts and rodeos.
Fun, easy workplace with an enjoyable assortment of customers, and co-workers.
Barista l Tulsa, OK l (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 10, 2016
Starbucks is as fun a place to work as any restaurant, from the constant in-flow of orders, and customers, to the constant upkeep of the store.

It's a wonderful and extremely rewarding place to work, but at the end of the day there is little to show for it. As much as I enjoyed going to work, the money was not worth a lot of the stress, and effort. When it was my primary source of income, I was constantly worried about making enough money, that it took away from what a fun job it was.

It's definitely a great way to earn extra money. But it's not a good place to be earning all your money.
Pros
Fast-paced work environment
Cons
Short breaks, early hours
Productive and fun environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 10, 2016
Overall working at Starbucks was a good experience with customer service along with learning skills such as multi tasking and organization.
Fast paced and full of great partners and laughs!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COFebruary 10, 2016
If you enjoy working at an extremely fast pace and find coffee shops in general to be a good environment, then Starbucks is definitely for you! I am a barista and I typically open so that includes prepping the iced teas, running rinse cycle/ cleaning the espresso machines, brewing coffee and making backups (i.e. mocha, caramel bottle filling, stocking). I am always there through morning peak hours on Fridays and we are a pretty busy drive through location so it gets wild in there. Between 8-10 cars in drive and 8-12 people in the lobby ordering at the same time keeps all the partners on their toes!! Really the only hard part of the job is to not let yourself get flustered. It's easy to allow the customer to ramble their order off and be afraid to ask them to repeat a little slower. If you can learn to kindly ask them to speak a little slower then you are golden!!
Pros
Free drink 30 minutes before/ after shift and one free meal each shift.
Cons
No real cons!
The people make it worth it.
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Kahului, HIFebruary 10, 2016
No matter how many people walk in and out or how many drinks you make or mess up, the feedback and task you are getting and doing for your customers will be worth doing this job.
Pros
benefits, free lunch, free coffee, great people
Cons
drama, sometimes misses breaks
Barista (Former Employee) –  Susanville, CAFebruary 9, 2016
I loved working at Starbucks. The atmosphere was great, everyone was so nice. I couldn't wait to go to work every day. The customers were great.
excellent place for someone into the whole coffee industry
Barista (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 9, 2016
It was a lot of hard work but coworkers were fun and the company environment is friendly. There is also a lot of opportunities to grow because they promote from within. The cons about Starbucks honestly is that there's a lot of work, the hours were long, the pay is not that competitive, you are forced to go from different tasks. I enjoyed management, they provide employees with many benefits and are all for improving you as an employee in hopes that you further your career
Pros
The benefits are great - even for part-time employees- 1 Pound of coffee or a tin of tea every week
Cons
fast-paced environment, no room for mistakes - Limited work-life balance- many demands
Great Company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Andover, MA 01810February 9, 2016
Starbucks is a great company to work for. Knowledgeable staff and friendly management makes this an easy place to jump right in to.
productive
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
I enjoyed managing my team everyday and having intellectual conversations. I am very passionate about my workspace and what I want to achieve everyday, I instill my values within my team to make them feel as comfortable as possible.
Pros
INTERACTING WITH CUSTOMERS
Cons
NOTHING
Fun and Customer service environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at work was to prepare and purchase for fresh espresso coffee. I learned communication and customer service skills. We worked in a family type of group of coworkers. The hard part was the rush hours and the most enjoyable to watch people's satisfied faces.
Pros
fun, cultural job
Cons
short breaks
What I've Learned
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTFebruary 9, 2016
What I have learned is when a barista is able to actively use the training I have given to create an environment that is healthy for everyone involved, baristas want to work harder and learn more.
Pros
Free food, drinks, whole bean coffee, benefits, tips
Cons
wish we followed the rules more often
Great
Barista (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 9, 2016
Great company to work for and gain customer service skills. Great benefits, even for it's part-time employees. Flexible scheduling, and flexible locations.
Wonderful environment
Partner Trainer (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJFebruary 8, 2016
I can't tell you how much I love my manager and co workers. Although the company is absolutely corporate there is a huge focus on the partners' wellbeing
Pros
free meal, freed drink, flexible schedule
Educational, and fun environment.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2016
Overall it's a nice hardworking job, but depending on the store you work at your training can be forgotten about or you might not work many hours. I had 2 home stores while working at Starbucks and at both stores it felt like home for the most part I had great co-workers (personality wise) to work with. But a lot of the time my co-workers were lazy or couldn't work and hold a conversations so if they didn't do their share of work before going home someone else would have to pick up the slack. That's something I noticed more when I had to deal with more when I got promoted to Shift Supervisor since you are the one to be blame for why the store looks the way it does. I could stay here and type all day but i doubt you would sit here and read it. So I recommend you find a store with a friendly and organized store manager to make the whole experience easier. If you feel like your being neglected because you have less hours, or your training isn't up to standard you should say something to your Store Manager, District Manager, or Partner Resources. I've seen and heard endlessly of unhappy partners and it probably would've been avoided if they said something to the right people.
Pros
Benefits, 1 free food item per shift, free drinks, coffee education, get to meet unique people
it was a very fast paced environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
i loved being able to put a smile on a customers face just by starting their day off with a cup of coffee or a latte. I really enjoyed the environment and learning the customers drinks. the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing satisfaction in my skills.
Pros
health benefits, stock
Cons
short breaks, management
nothing expectacular
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
a great deal of top-down management, very political in order to advance (regardless of skills and/or qualifications)
Pros
free coffee
Cons
very low salaries
Fun while it lasted
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 8, 2016
Starbucks was okay but the location I worked at had very demanding and particular customers that were not afraid to let you have it if they were having a bad day. Starbucks also has the false image of a "small cozy cafe" while consistently merging with other companies and raising prices. They also only have one fair-trade certified coffee. The work was fun, but I can't really stand behind such a huge corporation.
Pros
free coffee, good healthcare
Lots of People to Meet
Barista (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDFebruary 7, 2016
Every Starbucks has a unique group of individuals working there. The job is way too stressful, but a decent starter job.