Starbucks Employee Reviews

Love working at Starbucks
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2018
I didn't realize just how bad my previous cashier job was until I started working at Starbucks. My previous job was not well-organized, everyone slacked off, and the managers could be straight up unfriendly depending on their mood of the day. Here at Starbucks, you have a great work structure. Everyone knows what their assigned roles are. The managers are well-organized, the environment is friendly and supportive. You get scheduled breaks with your shift. There's really not too much I can complain about. The one thing people might have problems with is the opening shift. My store opens at 4:30am on weekdays, so I'm at work at 4am! Certainly not your typical 9-5 job.
Pros
Free beverages and food, great coworkers and supportive environment
Cons
Opening hours can be REALLY early
free coffee
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAFebruary 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for Starbucks for the few years I did. I know I wouldn't enjoy it now, its become so sales focused and so many costumers are feelings uncared for.
Stressful environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNFebruary 17, 2018
I highly do not recommend working here. It was stressful and the management was poor. The pay is not worth what you deal with on a daily basis. It was one of the worst times of my life
no comment
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 17, 2018
no comment from my time
lots of red tape
passive aggressive environment
great pay
good culture
opportunity limited for people of color
non transparent leadership
Fun, fast paced environment to work at
Store Partner/Barista (Former Employee) –  Sedalia, MOFebruary 17, 2018
My typical day of work included me clocking in and working the front registers or the drive through. Though it could be very fast paced at times, it was a great environment to work at. In return, the environment produced great customers who regularly came back for more coffee. Hardest part of the job were the rushes, which could come out of nowhere. I worked evening and closing weekday shifts, so typically, we didn't have a lot of staff on board. Rushes could come out of nowhere and if you were short staffed, it could be chaos. However, if everyone knows their roles, it's still chaos, but it's a little easier.
Pros
Discounts and free coffee/tea, workers are cool, flexible hours
Cons
Late night rushes can sometime make you get out later than you expected to
Awesome place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAFebruary 17, 2018
Depending on the day I would set up the pastry case or brew the coffee. We would have 30 minutes to 45 minutes in order to fulfill our duties that shift. Our manager would arrive and give us other duties to fulfill during her shift. The best part of the job would be the fast pace and the awesome customers we would receive
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Customers
Positive work environment and good first job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Danville, CAFebruary 17, 2018
Starbucks was my first "real" job when I was a sophomore in High School. I would recommend it as a good starting place for someone to enter the world of customer service. That's not to say there isn't room for growth and possible career potential for those that are interested. I learned things working at Starbucks that have stayed with me and still use today.
Pros
Free shift drink + discounts.
productive work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2018
I thought Starbucks was a good experience for entry level work. I learned about how high pace and multitasking work. The management was fair really rude to me but other then that the job wasn't so bad. They were pretty strict but that's okay because every job needs structure. If you're looking for a job Starbucks wouldn't be a bad place to start.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
multitasking
Amazing Company
Barista (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 17, 2018
I loved working for Starbucks. The environment is fast paced and stressful at times, but as you learn the drinks and steps the easier it becomes. The coffee is also pretty great!
Fun Coworkers, poor work environment and compensation
Barista (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2018
The job can be stressful, the coworkers make it enjoyable. I would not work here for long though, it can be trying. Its simply a retail job, stay for a bit but get out when you can.
Very fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CA 90245February 17, 2018
My day was fun but busy. Very nice guests and great benefits.drinks very easy to make. I love closing and doing inventory.i learned how to make fancy drinks. And learned about there culture.
Review
Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  Dana Point, CAFebruary 16, 2018
Starbucks is a great company to work for. It is a fun fast passed environment and with great customer clientele. I enjoyed my time there and would recommend working there. Benefits and management are excellent but scheduling and time management are lacking.
Pros
Free 1 lbs. coffee/ week, drinks and food when working.
Cons
Schedules are inconsistant
If you have a great team, it's a great job.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 16, 2018
I loved my team at my first store. When I transferred to a store closer to home, I was very disappointed and ended up hating it. At times it can be a very repetitive and monotonous job, which can make you crazy if you are someone who is looking to consistently advance and develop skill. I would not recommend working as a barista more than a year.
Being a manager at starbucks
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 16, 2018
Being a manager at starbucks can be very rewarding. The work is very vauge and abiguious at times. If you have an average or weak leader than it makes it a very crazey place to work. A bad DM makes for a tuff life at Starbucks.
Pros
Pay and oppurtunity to learn and grow.
Cons
DMs are the worst I have worked for.
Fun and exciting!
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COFebruary 16, 2018
I loved working for this company, i'd come in and couldn't wait to interact with coworkers and customers. I learned to work in a social fast paced environment and excel in my skills as a barista.
fun work place with great coworkers, terrible boss though
Barista (Former Employee) –  Norco, CAFebruary 16, 2018
The people were picky at times but after awhile you get used to it and they respect you more once you start to see them more often. Some of the best coworkers ever there, but management was ridiculous. Everything was out of control, constantly ran out of things causing customers to be upset. To top it all off as soon as you would mention these issues to my manager she would get all defensive and do nothing to improve it. Coworkers always called off with no repercussions and if you could do so much for my boss but she would do nothing back.
Pros
free lunches, free drinks, discounts
Fast Paced and Rewarding
Barista (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 16, 2018
Starbucks is a fast-paced and stressful job. Benefits are great and there are a lot of opportunities to advance in the company. It's very rewarding . My favorite part was getting to know my regulars and their drinks- having their drink ready for them as they come up to check out would always make them smile. Making samples of new drinks or food items for the customers was a lot of fun too or drawing a promotion on the signs really helped show artistic creativity.
Working as a team can be fun too and it highly depends on the store manager of course if the store runs smoothly or not. Knowing your team has your back is so important.
Overall this job can be overwhelming but it's all worth it.
Pros
Free drinks, discounts, easy to transfer, one free food item, one free bag of coffee or tea a week, great benefits
Cons
Stressful, messy
ok
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 16, 2018
learned a lot improve experience on a day by day. even though a lot of timed management seems to be off in helping the stores , but its understandable because they are in the airport
Loved the people I worked with.
Starbucks Team Member (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 16, 2018
I really like working there because it is laid back most of the time and Starbucks really cares about their employees. The only thing I don't like is that we are understaffed most times.
Great place to work while in school.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2018
Working at Starbucks is both fast paced and relaxed. If you can get over the rude customers you'll be fine. The only thing I don't understand is the pay, for all of the things you have to learn the starting pay should be more than $9/hour.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

58.3K