Starbucks
4,962 reviews

Starbucks Employer Reviews

Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee), Tracy, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Displayed a “Customer comes first” attitude by training and holding partners accountable for delivering legendary customer service. Developed action plans, motivated and provided professional development to meet operational and organizational objectives. Planned, identified, communicated and delegated appropriate responsibilities and practices to store partners to ensure smooth flow of operations. Monitored and managed store staffing levels to ensure partner development and talent acquisition that achieved and maintained store operational requirements. Ensured adherence to applicable wage and hour laws for partners and minors. Solicited customer feedback to understand their needs and the needs of the local community. Responsible for Operational Automated Labor Scheduling/Payroll processing, Monthly status Reporting, Quarterly Business Review, cash management and inventory management. Successfully executed store, district, and regional initiatives, partner resources, marketing, Partner & Asset Protection, food and beverage implementation departments. Regularly conducted performance assessments, setting challenging goals to improve partner performance.
cool for a little while
Barista (Former Employee), Oakland, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: paid terribly
had fun, got bored, typically had some great co-workers. flexible hours for a good work/life balance. get's repetitive and people are really cranky in the morning.
Great company, great atmosphere
BARISTA (Former Employee), Appleton, WIFebruary 24, 2015
The company was great to work for. They provide excellent benefits and work well around personal schedules. Within the past year, benefits changed slightly, but most of my time was spent working for the company from 2008 - 2013.
Fast-paced and mutli-tasking skills
Barista (Former Employee), Columbia, MOFebruary 24, 2015
Starbucks really help me develop my multi-tasking skills. I was having to do five different things all at once. I was making sure the coffee was being brewed every 20 minutes, helping people at the register, finishing my tasks assigned to me for that day, and also making drinks customized to each customer. I was already skilled in giving great customer service to people, but Starbucks helped further those skills. I learned how to thrive in a fast-paced environment and learned to love that type of atmosphere.
Fun pace to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: not having time to eat lunch most of the time
I would make coffee for different events that was going on at ther Reliant Center. I learnd there are over 50 different blends of coffee. Management was was great they treated us all equal. The hardest part off my job was tasting the different flavors of coffee. The bmost enjoyable part was working the live stock show and rodeo, just seeing the people faces light up for starbucks, I never new how many people like starbucks until the rodeo.
Fast Paced Environment
Barista Trainer (Former Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 23, 2015
Starbucks is a great company to work for and always keeps you on your toes. They remind you that all team members are always appreciated.
Fun and friendly work environment
Barista Clerk (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 23, 2015
Most positions at this Starbucks are part-time. This was a laid back job with friendly co-workers and management. Many customers you learn by name and get to know, it was nice to see regular faces and get to connect with people as part of a job.
A good employer but not flexible
Barista (Current Employee), O'hare Airport Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: wages, coworkers
Cons: hours, not flexible
Good employer only downside is its in ohare airport so is quite the commute and they aren't ver flexible with shift changes or requesting days off.
Over worked and under paid
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: low pay, high stress, ridiculous expectations
I have worked for Starbucks for 12 years. They were a good company to work for at first, but now they are awful. They have been awful for quite some time. I worked for 4 years without any kind of raise or bonus for my hard work. I had been at the "cap" for the supervisor pay. They should be ashamed of how low that is. Claims of better pay was all the buzz at the beginning of the year. The raises were so disappointing. I feel over worked to the extreme. High demands for a job that should be filled with more fun than anything. It is a physically draining job that I would never recommend to anyone. I am completely exhausted when I get home, and for what? They give customers too much power that they do not deserve. The management is incompetent and ridiculous at times. I have always wondered how they go about choosing some of these people. Many managers are highly under qualified and have terrible people skills. They sit in the back for most of their shifts pretending to work. Starbucks is a company that loves to claim they are great to their employees, when in fact, they only care about making a profit. The work environment is very stressful due to under staffing at all times. Again, this is to make a profit. If you like to be treated well, then find a job elsewhere.
Easy to work with employees
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: free lunch, manadatory eight hour shifts.
Cons: short breaks
Working as a cashier, making drinks. Providing customers with facts on the menu. My coworkers were great, however mananagement needs a lot of work. The hardest part of the job was the begining, learning how to make the drinks because so much goes into it.
Overall good place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: free stuff, flexible hours, great people
Cons: serving entitled, selifsh, nasty people. corporate bull.
It's food service. Take it or leave it. Great flexibility, great opportunity to meet people, plenty of perks like benefits and free stuff. Serving people can suck. People are rude, inconsiderate, selfish, hurried, ignorant, the list goes on, but you take it with a grain of salt and get their stuff for them so they can leave. Management is hit or miss. There are plenty of great managers and plenty of worthless ones. It's almost impossible to lose your job. You can no call no show, be late, act up, do nothing and its up to everyone else to pick up your slack. And the CEO makes controversial political statements that we as shareholders so all agree on, so that's a pain but overall pretty good place to work.
Fun Environment
Barista (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 23, 2015
Great environment, great benefits, love the starbucks culture. It was a fun place to work, however the company is very strict with policies.
Barista Life
Certified Barista (Current Employee), El Centro CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: school and health benefits free coffee all day when at work
Work Place is fun, work as a team, customer service is my main priority. Make sure it's third home for customers. Management is great. All about partners coffee is great to make. Learned that as easy as a cup of coffee can make someones day. Which I enjoy putting smiles on peoples faces.
Fun First Job
Barista/Customer Service (Current Employee), Jensen Beach, FLFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: 30% discount, free handmade beverages, entry level position
Cons: rarely get breaks, bad management, unprofessional ethics and procedures
I work at a licensed Starbucks store, so we are unable to do some things unlike corporate stores (like certain promotions, can't redeem free drink rewards, no Starbucks Partner number for discounts at other Starbucks). The store manager seems under-qualified for managing such a high-volume store. We are constantly out of syrups, sugars, powders, and occasionally cups. All employees worked entire shifts without breaks on multiple occasions, yet have 30 minute breaks taken out of our time card. The store manager rarely shows up for work. We are often under staffed. Sometimes you would be sent home early or in my case, the supervisor always "forgets" you were supposed to get off work hours ago. Not to mention the work ethics and procedures are questionable.

In the beginning, working at a licensed Starbucks was fun. It was my first job, the employees were all very polite and fun-loving. It was great. But after a few months the honeymoon effect wore off and you saw flaws within the workplace that were often not corrected or even encouraged.

I do not believe that this is entirely Starbucks fault, but rather the management at the Starbucks that I work at. This review is not meant to cover the entire Starbucks corporation.
Great place to have fun and get down to business!
Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: free drinks and one free food item when you are on shift. automatic yearly stock awards
Cons: irregular work schedule for full time employees
Perfect job for anyone. Hours allow students time to study, working adults an additional income and career minded folks a ladder to climb. If you apply yourself you can acquire a well rounded business education. If you want to excel Starbucks provides the tools you need.

Depending on the store you work in, the typical day can look a little different. The stores I have worked in are high volume so the culture is more stressed than the normal laid back coffee shop. Customers can be high strung so you will learn how to diffuse high stress situations! Co-workers can also be a little more edgy so there is opportunity there too.

The hardest part of the job is welcoming the consistent feedback. The company is always evolving so the technique you learned yesterday might change tomorrow. The coaching moments take place on the floor in the moment so, not only are you corrected in front of co-workers but, also customers. The key is to put your pride aside because the feedback is meant to build you and the team up. It is always delivered in a respectful fashion!!

Management is really difficult but unique because the goal is to work as a team. The most challenging aspect is getting the team motivated to work hard all day and perform all of the behind the scenes duties such as balancing the safe/ recording sales, cash and food safety data/ running breaks/ creating the deposit/ ordering and more.

What makes working in this setting great is the energy you get from working with and serving so many different people in a day. I love the freedom I have to converse with individuals from all walks of life thus learning how to see the world through numerous lenses. I have worked with and met more talented folks in this job than any other!
Good First Job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Federal Way, WAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: full time hours
Cons: no help when requested
Target will help build and prepare you for the real world. It is a good place to start. The management team does have some problems with communicating with each other and to some of the departments but otherwise the store ensures full time hours when requested.
best job ever
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Huntersville, NCFebruary 21, 2015
I started in this company straight out of high school and it has molded me to be the best manager and supervisor that I could possibly be. I loved this company with all everything that it offered us.
Great Company!
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee), Augusta, GAFebruary 21, 2015
The culture makes this company great. The people are great. The benefits are great. I have nothing negative to say about Starbucks.
Great learning experience!
Barista (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: free drinks and food benefits
Cons: only part time positions available.
On a typical day at work we would prep the case and prepare awesome hand crafted beverages! Then clean house for the next day.
Friendly and Diverse community
Barista (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: benefits, knowledge, customers
Cons: poor management staff
I really enjoyed working for Starbucks however my manager rarely managed me. I basically learned everything I knew from watching my younger coworkers do the job. I was a Sufficient worker once I got everything down pact, but my manager insisted on keeping me on the register. He then left a supervisor in charge of me who clearly did not read the rules and regulations of our positions and had me doing some of her job when he wasn't present which was often. I mostly worked evenings and had great regular costumers whom I still have healthy Friendly relationships with now. I really enjoyed my job and night shifts gave me great time to practice, but the managing staff needed to get it together. I was suppose to be relocated to a new building because our building was being demolished. The Hard Rock Hotel bought out the block so the manager was suppose to make sure everyone was relocated before demolition. My manager never relocated me or helped me at the least find a place that had a possible opening to relocate to. I am currently still a Starbucks employing in limbo. I am laid off I just assume although it has never been specified whether or not that I am. I couldn't get any of my calls returned by the manager, District manager or anyone from Starbucks with any real power. So over all my experience was in between not great but not completely horrible. I have a lot of knowledge about coffee and espresso that i would've never had without the experience of being an employee and I really enjoyed the position of a Batista, some of my coworkers were great and some not so great, most customers were great, and I really enjoyed the pace and Energy of the coffee house experience.

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more