Starcom MediaVest Group Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workplace but no good work life balance
Associate (Former Employee) –  MiamiOctober 9, 2015
Typical day varies for different people but it usually involves staying late. But that's a problem for all agencies no? You can learn a lot but self learning is expected. Coworkers are great and a lot of fun.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Difficult to move up the chain
Great people and fun place to work
Executive Assistant to President (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMarch 17, 2015
Working at Starcom was definitely one of the best places I have worked in my career as an Executive Assistant. My co-workers at any level were always willing to be helpful and answer any questions.
Pros
Free lunches and swag
Productive but relaxed environment
Digital Advertising Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2013
A typical day for me is report pulling/formatting. I have enhanced my microsoft office program, writing, overall communication skills and have learned how a diverse culture can impact a business. Most co-workers are great to work with. The most difficult part of the job can sometimes be dealing with translating reporting request into actual reports. Request are not always pre-formatted so translation can sometimes be a challenge. But even with the challenges I enjoy the liberty of taking my lunch whenever or not at all if I choose to. I enjoy the benefits of the company. Great holiday and vaction times.
Other companies could, and should, learn from Starcom's Management, particularly in the Detroit metro area.
Analytics Director (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 18, 2012
Excellent company!
Excellent management!
Delivers great work!

Starcom's management actually care about, and take care of their employees, unlike any other company I have worked for or heard about.

Starcom’s corporate culture is the complete opposite of the detestably toxic corporate culture at Team Detroit. Malicious and malignantly ignorant and arrogant senior and executive management permeates Team Detroit. Ford should fire all of the parasitic WPP companies they currently employ, starting with Team Detroit.
fun work place, low stress
Operation specialist (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 4, 2014
free to work at calm pace. management will not hound you for work as long as you work at reasonable pace. laid back environment. most employees will have headphones in while working on computer and use messenger to chat with co-workers.
Pros
free meals, party invites, relaxed atmoshpere
Cons
low salary, extended temp status
Limitless Opportunity to Learn and Grow
Associate Director- Pearle Vision/Sears Optical (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2014
Starcom was where my career began. The people were extremely smart, the client roster was made up of category leaders and the agency was a pioneer in media planning + buying across platforms.

I learned how to pitch new business, to build strategic media plans, to negotiate efficient + impactful media buys, how to interact, serve and serve our agency clients, to present to clients and partners with style + clarity that engages people. The foundation of who I am today was built at Starcom.

Management through the agency made sure they shared their knowledge with their peers, managers and subordinates. They fostered team work and demanded that everyone took the time to grow, be creative and experiment.

My coworkers were fun to be around. They were equally smart and talented. They were willing to help if needed or not. And I was able to craft some long relationships from working with these talented people.

The enjoyable part of my job was working on different projects, building strategic media plans for top clients, presenting to clients or upper agency management, negotiating media buys with efficiencies, learning and engaging in different media platforms [Linear, Digital, Mobile, Social, etc]

The hardest part was the low compensation because of agency demand in the marketplace. And not enough time to get exposure to some of the more high profile projects or accounts.
Pros
new business pitches, strategy + buying media, coworkers
Cons
compensation
Intelligent Workforce
VP Human Experience Strategy (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 5, 2015
There are very bright people at SMG, but the culture could put more bonus on ideas and creativity. There should be a push into a more content drive approach in the future.
Pros
good client relationships, smart people
Cons
lack of a dynamic creative environment
My first and only media agency professional experience
Activation Associate Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2015
I have worked on many clients of various types in my 8 years of experience at SMG. I have watched the company evolve over that time and they seem to always be ahead of the current trends in the industry and marketplace.
It is not meritocratic
Analista de Investigación de Mercado (Former Employee) –  Santiago de Chile, RMDecember 30, 2012
the salary is ver low and the promotions are not based on capabilities, but in friendly relations.
Pros
familiar atmosphere
Cons
bad leadership
Dynamic Talent and Collaboration
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2015
The organization is known for attracting diverse and sought-after talent. The atmosphere is energetic, with a constant drive towards innovation.
Excellent place to learn the media business
SVP, Strategy Director (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 23, 2015
Great client list, very cool tools and some excellent people make this a fun but intense place to work. Quality of experience varies depending on which clents one Works on.
Exciting and Award Winning Place to Work
Associate Media Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2013
So proud to have been a part of Starcom MediaVest. I had the privilege to work with some of the smartest people in the business and have built long lasting business relationships with co-workers and clients. I had amazing mentors and leaders that have helped mold my experience and career growth- totally priceless. If you are provided an opportunity to work with Starcom - take it!
Smart folks
Media Planner (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 7, 2012
Smart people but egos sometimes get in the way. Since the landscape has changed, perhaps so will the culture.
Dedicated and intelligent staff
Media Planner (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 7, 2012
The best small media agency located in the Midwest. They're smart and passionate about media. A true partner who understands a client's business.
A pillar of industry excellence
Connections Manager at MV42, SMG (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2014
leading clients, leading strategic thought, leading new buying approaches
Great agency to learn
Digital Media Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2012
Great place to learn about advertising media, but horrible pay.
Pros
great company name
Cons
terrrible pay
An agency focused on the future.
Search Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLMarch 26, 2012
A great place to learn about different aspects of advertising such as content creation, research and insights, analytics, digital strategy, multicultural marketing etc.
Pros
tutorials, training, and presentations.
Cons
complaints about low pay