Starfish Family Services Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Rewarding and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant and Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIApril 4, 2016
Review my agenda for the day. Reports, intakes, needed in the classroom.

I learned about grants, funding, start-ups of new programs, audits.
People of all backgrounds.

Management was great. Helpful, good listeners.

Making sure you expect the on expected.

Watching the children and families grow.
Great children/families but bad place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  inksterAugust 17, 2015
Working with families and children was enjoyable and I felt like I was really making a difference in some of their lives. However, the department I worked in is a mess. You will get no information on what you should or shouldn't be doing and then will get threatened for not doing things "the right way". My boss had no idea what was going on in my classroom, she couldn't even name my students and I would go entire weeks without seeing her once. But she had no problem observing the room for 30 seconds and then telling me to change everything I was doing. Some people are able to do whatever they want and others get yelled at for the same exact same things. Everyone blames each other for every little thing, there is no team work. You constantly feel like you're under attack and you have to defend everything you do. It's a miserable and stressful work environment.
Pros
Decent work hours, paid vacation days, working with children/families
Cons
everything else
Mismanaged
HOME-BASED CLINICIAN (Former Employee) –  Wayne County, MINovember 13, 2015
The supervisory team as a whole is cliquey and many of them can be completely rude. They are often non-supportive and blaming when things are outside a clinician's control.
Pros
Cons
everything
Very busy pasted organization but fun and exciting
High Scope Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIOctober 9, 2012
A typical day at work (Head Start) is a little challenging but manageable. Working with diverse children and their families has been enjoyable thus far. My co-workers is what makes my job fun and exciting. We work as a team throughout the entire site. The hardest part of my job is getting Disability Aides on board to help limit challenging behaviors in my classroom. Management throughout our company is respectful and good about open communication. One thing I have learned about my job is that you get quality training, and high encouragements of upgrading your levels of education. I enjoy working with children,however, I feel at home and at peace when I enter a medical environment.
Pros
free trainings
Cons
plenty classroom observations by upper management
I would never go back nor refer anybody for employment
Administrative Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 10, 2012
I would have enjoyed workin for the company if the people were more color friendly and they gave the opportunity to advance within the compnay. A typical day's work for me was pretty boring and uninteresting. The best part of work for me was conversation with my immediate co-workers and some of the clients. The job was easy to do and the management team sucked. They always stuck together to work against those that they no longer wanted apart of the team. I have watched them turn clients away that really need help because they weren't appealing to them or the therapist refused to work with them.
Cons
no advancing opportunities
At the time of my employment, it was going through a rough period
Employee (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIAugust 5, 2012
My understanding is that it has gone through many changes. I would encourage you to interview them in your interview. Wonder about who your supervisor is, job expectations. I believe it was more challenging for those in supervisory positions. There was A LOT of scapegoating when I was there. Lay offs were abundant. They are under completely different management now. Worth checking out. Great programs
Pros
great programs & commitment to community
Cons
you'll have to check it out for yourself
excellent workplace
Residental Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Inkster, MIJanuary 20, 2015
great place to volunteer to get a human service or social work resume built and to get a job here is amazing! Great people and amazing experiences. The staff is so helpful and will help you develop your career well. It is certainly a place I love to be at.
busy work environment
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIApril 27, 2013
Part of my job required me to prepare and serve classrooms with breakfast lunch and snack. The other part of my job required me to clean the kitchen bathrooms and classrooms.
Pros
both my of my daughters attended starfish, so i was able to see them when ever i served them food.
Moderate
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIFebruary 19, 2014
Helping children learn to read and write.
Learned English sign lanuage gestures.
Worked as a unit, assisting with the genral teacher with children.
At times curtain students required more help.
I enjoyed being able to help children in their first steps of learning.
Very friendly welcoming environment for children and employees
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIJanuary 21, 2014
The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the smile on the children's faces when I helped them. Also the questions they asked, children say the craziest things.
Pros
many children
Cons
not enough personal time
I really enjoyed working with Starfish Family Services
Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIAugust 12, 2013
I enjoyed working with the youth, and coordinating activities for them, as well as facilitating youth groups. I liked what Starfish Family Service represented and how family oriented they are.
Very demanding but productive position.
INTERN THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIJuly 16, 2012
Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment for mental health of individuals in home and outpatient clinic.
Pros
enhanced skills to achieve professional counseling degree
Cons
intense and involved paperwork process.
Good Experience
Outreach and Marketing ELC Team Member (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MI.July 9, 2013
I liked being in my position. I had an opportunity to learn a lot.

The agency might be a little racist/prejudice though

Starfish Family Services Reviews by Location