Starr Commonwealth Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Very stressful place to work. No employee appreciation, always about the bottom line and who can do the work the cheapest.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Albion, MISeptember 11, 2017
Too much stress. No employee appreciation. Executive team is lost. Used to be an awesome place but now it's all about the bottom line. Starr has lost sight of Floyd Starr's mission. Such a shame.
Upper management is extremely unprofessional
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albion, MIAugust 25, 2017
A typical day invovled working with the students, helping them to develop healthy values and behaviors. Restraints are used on a regular basis and most staff does that improperly. Upper management does not care about employees and ask them to work in excessive amounts using guilt tactics. I regularly was asked to work triples. Pay is no where what it should be. The hardest part of the job is watching seasoned staff be verbally abusive and often use counter aggression against students. I reported all of this to compliance with no result. The only bright spot of the job was being able to offer the students hope.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Lousy pay, management, long hours
Horrible Principle
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48219July 31, 2017
I love young people so this made the job tolerable. The leadership was horrific. He didn't care for the staff, students or parents. The pay is not good either.
Counselor
Senior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIJanuary 31, 2017
Working with kids from multiple backgrounds to assist them in returning back to there communities successful. This work was residential as well as community.
Great Culture
TeamLeader (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIJanuary 11, 2017
I worked for Starr for years. The caring atmosphere and culture are second to no other. The management team is very professional and encouraging. I felt very close with my supervisor and HR helped me through many issues. I probably wasn't the best employee at first, but throughout my tenure, I was coached and encouraged and finally after effort - promoted.

Great place to work and appreciated the talented staff.
Pros
Encouraging and dedicated team
Inexperienced Supervision
ABA Therapist (Former Employee) –  Harper Woods, MIJanuary 10, 2017
When I worked for Starr the BCBA on staff was inexperienced as a supervisor, and was unaware of how to lead a team or behavior techs.
It was not Bad
Family Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIAugust 9, 2016
I was a family Service Counselor for a substance abuse cottage on the pain campus in Albion, MI. It was a hard job as the kids were not always easy to deal with. Overall I liked the people I worked with and for and thought very highly of them.
Pros
Managment was good!
Cons
Population was rough!
Encouraging and Compassionate Atmosphere with Great Benefits and Compensation
Foster Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 8, 2015
Starr Commonwealth has an amazing working atmosphere. The workers are supported and encouraged. The building are aesthetically pleasing and provide good working environments. Management in my experience was amazing and worked to build me up as an employee and a human being. I was compensated very well for my work and had excellent benefits. It is only because of the loss of a program that I lost my job. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Amazing work environment, Great Benefits and Compensation, Fair Hours
Cons
Job Security in some programs is poor
Provide daily care and counseling for troubled youth in a residential facility
Relapse Prevention/Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIAugust 10, 2015
I focused on Substance abuse and counseling families of the youth to reestablish trust and respect between the youth and the parents/guardians. I completed court reports, treatment plans, daily paperwork for compliance with state regulations, meal plans, and behavioral notes.
Pros
working with troubled youthand seeing them change with your help
Cons
Families whom did not want their youth to succeed and were not willing to try to help
Enjoyed working with student culture and the Fine Arts Director my supervisor and coworker made the work a fun atmosphere
Fine Arts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Typical day at work was to run music sessions guitar lessons or piano lessons, and group music therapy session I would pick up and transport and return students to school who were scheduled for the sessions. Each day of my week was a different session or a choir or drama rehearsal on Thursday evenings every week. On Fridays I would instruct two group sessions at one hour each of Pottery/Slip Casting, and two group sessions at one hour each of Rhythm and Moves sessions. That is low impact movement with popular music, drum sticks, exercise ball and a bucket. Commonly known as Drums Alive.
The Fine Arts Department consisted of a team of two. Myself and the Fine Arts Director. We had a wonderful working relationship.
The enjoyable part of my job was to see the students faces light up when they accomplish a task in the arts, discovering they could sing act or draw would always choke me up.
The hardest part was honestly have any of the one hour sessions end. Mainly because it was all therapeutic and each day or week we never knew what new discoveries or progress was going to be expressed.
Pros
The Travel and new adventures and discoveries of amazing voices
Cons
That I was laid off.
awesome place to work
Central Supply and Food Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIJanuary 11, 2015
it was a great place to work as a teenager, to complete my internship and to grow into a manager
the environment is awesome and the people are great
Great Place to work
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albion, MIJanuary 1, 2015
It is a great place to work, but pay wasn't great for as much stuff we had to do and the amount of time we had to spend with the kids. There was hardly any raises or opportunities for advancement. I very much enjoyed working with the kids and the atmosphere was great but the only complain i would have to say is that i wish we had got a better pay rate and also that there should be more room for advancement.
Family oriented workplace and fun interaction with children.
Contract Tutor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 18, 2014
A typical workday consisted of meeting with students for 2 hours of tutoring. I learned how to recognize the students' different styles of learning and to teach them accordingly. A few of the students also taught me new methods of mathematics. My co-workers were professional and friendly. The hardest part of the job was not having direct communication with the teachers. It would have been helpful to get a better assessment of what areas the students needed the most help. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the students when they mastered the lesson.
Pros
Family-like work environment, flexibility to be creative with lesson plans, interaction with parents
Cons
Lack of communication with teachers
Very fun
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIAugust 11, 2014
my job was o overlook and assist with the treatment and wellbeing of at risk youth. This job was very fulfilling and the management is great.
Great workplace
Youth Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIJuly 30, 2014
This place is wonderful to work at! Great benefit package. Management is open and accessible. Work can be stressful, but the benefeits make up for it
ok job
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIJuly 13, 2014
Each day is different and depending on what treatment team you work on your experience can be very different.
Pros
working with youth
Cons
no raises or daily breaks/lunch
Very stressful Work Place
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIMay 2, 2014
This is a boarding school for troubled youth.
It was very stressful at times and others it was a very rewarding job.
Always had the chance to make a positive impact on a youth life.
At times it was hard knowing that you may have to restrain a child so that he does not hurt himself or others.
Overall it was a great place to work you just have to be the right kind of person to be able to handle working with troubled youth.
Starr Commonwealth was a wonderful place to work. Unfortunately no one would quit and left little room for advancement.
SIL Treatment Counselor/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 8, 2014
I charted out activities for the day. Always arriving to work early.

I learned the policies of Child Welfare, how to stay prepared for audits and the importance of working with a team.

All managers and directors were pleasant and fair.

Co-workers were like family. Everyone got along.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to save all the students.

The most enjoyable part of the job was taking students to college and attending graduations.
Pros
Taking students on trips, cell phones and lap tops.
Cons
Advancement
Great place to work with Awesome kids
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albion, MIMarch 11, 2014
I love being able to work with my kids, they are autistic and aspergers, each day they go to school and they teach me so much. It can be hard watching them struggle and sometimes they do not know why they are struggling.Watching them meet different milestones has got to be one of the most rewarding parts to my job.
Pros
it is a family environment
Cons
not good paying
building a repore
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIFebruary 9, 2014
I really enjoyed working with the kids learning about them while doing their intake or yearly annual. I worked as a weekend key holder and switchboard operator, signing in and out keys to the cottages or to over night guest visiting their child. Help desk for FleetCommand which allows Youth Careworkers to check out vehicles. Triage (taking vital signs) for sick call.
Pros
working with the children and being able to help them
Cons
rather not say

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starr Commonwealth. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9