STARS Behavioral Health Group Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Peer Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  Yucca Valley, CAJuly 4, 2017
What I have accrued through STARS behavioral health group are different approaches to a variety of different encounters with the ease of learning to meet clients/fellow staff where they are. Management seemed to be considerate and caring in understanding the needs of the team as well as being able to provide client's within the community a view of hope whether it's providing warm meals, a place to nap or by counseling services free of charge along with psychiatry and providing staff on duty with a feel of direction in client care. The obstacle with this position are trying to provide for clients who are unwilling to advance themselves toward recovery, recovery comes in small steps, and at times it is difficult to take the first step. Trying to find a motivator can be at times difficult because the client will often focus on the pain and hurts instead of the solution and what it takes to get there. The most enjoyable parts would be to see the small successes in which I have felt the team had made a difference in a client's life to which every resource had been utilized correctly and in a timely manner, which is the most rewarding.
Pros
Agency parties, agency incentives, paid mileage, health care benefits
Cons
N/a
Fast pace and enjoyable.
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 26, 2017
committed to a full-time position, third shift. Working for STARS has rewarded me with everlasting memories of clients and caring staff. Great place to be employed.
Really fun place to work and great team
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 13, 2017
I started here as a receptionist and have already advanced in a year to a program coordinator. Opportunity for growth is always available and this company has no problem cross training you if you are willing to learn. Aesome perks! Very transparent management that allows to grow and feel appreciated. No micro managing!
Pros
Fun staff, perks, works with school, cross training opportunities
Cons
Can be low pay but there is quick opportunity for promotions
Great place for advancement
Clinical Training and Consulting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 28, 2017
This is a large organization with many opportunities for professional growth and advancement. There is a supportive team of managers and supervisors and a variety of positions.
Benefits
Chaotic dysfunction at its finest
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAApril 20, 2017
The upper management has high expectations of its employees which is understandable if we only knew what these were. We get reprimanded for not doing what we are supposed to which is confusing because we are not told what it is we are to be doing in the first place. They care about the bottom line...how much can we bill for the clients and if you do not make productivity they write you up. No positive reinforcement no support its a joke.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Employees low pat for what we do
horrible
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 29, 2016
lies, Favoritism , they lie to you, they treat you like a puppet, family program so whatever benefits them. Working with children but do not required TB shot nor fingerprints
Fun company, it was all about the workers that made it fun
Facilitator and Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAJanuary 22, 2016
being about the same vision and making sure to bring in positive vibes to work, was essential to my experience. I enjoyed working for the company and it was organized and upper management were easy to talk to. Although the building felt unstable at times, things got done either way.
Pros
free lunch, co-workers, training opportunities
Cons
facility felt unsafe
Great place to earn hours and training
Bilingual Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 13, 2015
Stars provides an opportunity for interns, new graduates and associates to earn their hours as well as provides incentives to employees who perform well. supportive management, clinical supervision is excellent. Challenging and exciting opportunity especially for new graduates in mental health field.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
a lot of driving
More concerned with finances than people
Front line staff (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 4, 2015
Hr was nonexistent, management is unresponsive and passive-aggressive, understaffed and inexperienced staff. No training, dangerous work environment, no security on acute unit,
Pros
Clients
Cons
No breaks, favoritism with staff, no job security .
Excellent leadership, very cohesive team
High School Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJune 25, 2015
A typical day at work included work with at-risk youth in a non-public high school setting. I was also provided with excellent trainings as well as individual supervision on a weekly basis. I learned how to provide appropriate, high-quality services to this population, implementing self-care practices on a daily basis. The leadership at STARS was strong and supportive, promoting my professional development and personal growth. My team of co-workers was responsive and professional. The most challenging part of the job was to help students struggling with motivation to improve academically. The most enjoyable part of the job was to help the kids realize their potential and make lasting changes in their lives.
benefits
Cons
income
Poor HR experience
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 28, 2014
The people who work at Human Resources have absolutely terrible customer/employee service; they are rude to college grads who have never been employed. If you've had trouble looking for work for over a year and have yet to build experience, they will be condescending of that. If you forget to read their fine print for job criteria, they will be rude towards your mistake, even though it is very poor of them to display such unprofessionalism.
Pros
Very empathetic to children
Cons
Could care less about courtesy regardless of employee meeting criteria or no
Stars was a very rewarding place to work.
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAApril 17, 2014
Stars allowed me to work independently with clients who needed assistance in their everyday routines and self care tasks.
Professional Staff
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 9, 2013
Professional staff dedicated to helping teens who suffer from mild to severe mental health disorders. Good benefits package.