START Treatment & Recovery Centers

START Treatment & Recovery Centers Employee Reviews

No consideration for employees/No future for employees
Associate Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2017
The stress of working with addicted patients is not nearly as stressful as the overly and pretentious zeal that co workers have. Management has little to no involvement or even knowledge of someone's position and job title, but somehow finds themselves fit to dictate the steps for one's work. No consideration for employee needs, yet their unreasonable requests, which interfere with day to day work take precedence and create conflict between co workers, creating a hostile environment and lack of productivity. There is no sense of leadership or availability from management or any show of interest for it's employees. The benefits would only be to be able to connect and help patients that undergo a very difficult life, but it appears that their idea of professionalism keeps a barrier between employees and patients, resulting in a lack of trust between patients and even co workers. The unrealistic deadlines create a ill intended competitive background and creates division among co workers, resulting in constant bickering among them and even termination and quitting of work. This makes it hard to adjust to co workers, additional work load and even worse for patients to trusting new employees after having worked hard to gain trust from previous employees. The system is disorganized and broken, and it seems to be intentional, while the revenue seems to be very evident, which gives the impression that that is the only priority.
Official response from START Treatment & Recovery Centers
September 2, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. At START the motto is "The Right Way to Treat People" we strive in all of our efforts to make this focus of our core development. It is unfortunate that you were not able to have your concerns addressed and that some of the information you are presenting is inaccurate. However, we understand and will review your feedback accordingly. We wish you much success in your career objectives.

Don't work here
human resources (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 24, 2017
Good work with the patients who have addiction and mental illness. C-suite leadership lacks people skills and treats workers horribly. Multiple law suits and grievances pending for how upper management treats workers. Union has been trying to get in for over 1 year already to fix issues. Union was voted in but get pushed back from Leadership with delay tactics. Constant threats and focus on achieving numbers instead of patient care. Most enjoyable part of the day is clocking out to go home. Very high turnover rate, which causes more work on employees. Run away!!
Pros
if you need a job for now this place will do
Cons
not enough time, space or patience to list them all.
Official response from START Treatment & Recovery Centers
September 2, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We believe that everyone has an opportunity to contribute to overall mission of the organization. At START we are patient centered and staff centered and when individuals do not align with this objective, ensuring that staff is consistently being supported or patients are being cared for, every opportunity is offered for development. However, we understand your inaccurate feedback and we wish you continued success in your career objectives.

The turn over of the staff too constant, ethical concerns need to be addressed
Senior Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2017
I enjoy the work getting done, poor supervisory access, turn over of the staff too frequent, not a supportive environment for advancement very punitive if you are not socializing with the other professional staffing, minimal educational acquisition. Seeking to grow with the company but you must be a people pleaser.
Pros
Cons
Lacks adequate supervision

Comment – July 12, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and commentary. Your thoughts are very important and as a current member of start, I invite you to meet with Human Resources to share your concerns. Employee Engagement is one of our highest priorities and believe that if one of the staff is impacted, this impacts all of us.

different facility locations offer different atmospheres, some are very challenging.
Methadone Maintenance Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 26, 2017
This company is currently negotiating an 1199 Union contract and this company is doing everything to eliminate the union aspirations of its employees. The company has not provided employees with a cost of living increase in over 8 years.
Pros
leaving in the early afternoon
Cons
Too many management directives that are inconsistent

Comment – July 12, 2017

Your feedback is important and as you are still a member of START, we appreciate commentary and as it helps us to improve our systems and ensuring that we are doing our best to honor all employees.

fast paced and learn alot
Management (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 5, 2017
Its a great deal of patient centered work. You really have to enjoy working in human service to enjoy working at START. Patient centered, gratification and learn alot about substance abuse in a short time.
Pros
Learn alot and quickly
Cons
Do not assume
Low morale
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2017
Not a professional place to work, employees has low morale working under management. Most doesn't have a clue about this discipline???, or common sense.

Comment – July 12, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your commentary. Human Resources is a place for employees to provide their concerns and our efforts to improve employee engagement and staff morale has lead us to reinforcing our employee recognition program, employees company sponsored events, like our annual summer boat ride and other non-monetary incentives. As always, please feel free to share any concerns you may have with your supervisor and Human Resources Development.

Great Place!
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2017
I have been with START for a little less than a year and it has been absolutely rewarding. Management cares about its staff whether it's internal growth or events honoring employees. I recommend this organization 100%!
Pros
Staff, Growth Opportunities
Working For Start
Assistant Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Working for Start is vey interesting because of the population that we deal with on a daily basics. My coworkers and upper management are the hardest to deal with. Management does not communicate with each other before making a decision. They make rules as they go.
Pros
Salary
Cons
commute, management

Comment – July 12, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and I know this commentary was created in January of 2017, since then we have done a great deal to improve our employee engagement, management development and employee morale. We continue to accept and respond to employee feedback and concerns and invite you, to join our continued improvement efforts.

summary reviewed
Hepatitis C Navigator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 20, 2016
Fun workplace which was extremely productive.Staff was friendly and welcoming.I learned a lot about the benefits of methadone use.The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing patients complete Hep C treatment!
Pros
Free breakfast and lunches during meetings.
Cons
healthcare benefits
Fast Pace Environment
CASAC (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 18, 2016
My job requires a lot of productivity. However, due to my strong organizational skills, I am able to perform my duties as well as provide quality services for my patients. I enjoy the work that I do and the best part of my day is when someone says thank you for what you do. Some days are better than other, but the staff work together to meet our goals as well back each other up when necessary. I love my job and look forward to coming to work everyday.
Pros
Helpping people to change their lives.
Cons
salary

Comment – July 12, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and commentary. Since this post was done in September of 2016, we have reviewed how we ensure that we are able to reward our high performers and provide additional support towards their individual professional development. We believe in treating people the right way and fostering a work environment that is supportive and developmental.

Everything takes work
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Starting pointJune 18, 2016
Company is really starting to get its act together. More activity from the corporate office and sharing of information....something changed but thats good. Keep it up.
Pros
more communication
Cons
none at this time
I really love the early hours
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11207June 9, 2016
I worked their as a security guard, and i learned a lot about counseling from the counselors and the clients which were on methadone
Pros
the early hours
Cons
being moved from different clinics
This place sucks!!
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 22, 2016
Worked here for a year. Worst place ever. C-suite very unprofessional and doesn't value its employees. Not much room for growth and pay is below market rate compared to other employers
Pros
co-workers are dedicated to patients
Cons
Upper management doesn't know what they are doing. Not consistent with their decisions or fair
n/a
RN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2015
n/a.....
good job
good hours, early in and early out
must be comfortable working with controlled substances
no tuition reimbursement, overtime allowed, nor loan relief
good benefits: retirement pension and health insurance
na
Behavioral Health Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2015
high turnover rate, difficult population, disconnect between headquarters and clinics. poor compensation/ benefits, lack of appreciation and retention of talent.
START Treatment & Recovery Centers Review
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 3, 2015
This particular organization needs major improvement administratively. Myself and my colleagues were forced to work extra hours and were often mistreated and underpaid.
Pros
Cons
Corrupt supervisors, non-existent staff development, poor compensation, and much more
A place to grow professionally
Medicaid and Manage Care Intern (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 15, 2015
They continue to improve for the future to come. They are very big when it comes to collaboration and personal development.
Great staff.
Head Nurse - Bushwick Clinic Ambulatory (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 7, 2014
Typical day is coming in early and taking care of patients as they have appointments. Usually physicals and dosing evaluations done on a regular basis. The staff really works as a team. The hardest part of the job is seeing patients struggle with their addictions and the best is when you see one of them rise from it and succeed.
Pros
Staff working together
Cons
Poor morale
A place to work where QUANTITY is valued more than QUALITY
Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2014
This agency values the bottom line more than its employees or persons served.
a lot of work
VOCATIONAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2014
The summary says it all. it was a lot of work.
I did enjoy my time working with some of my coworkers though

Ask a question about working or interviewing at START Treatment & Recovery Centers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7