STARTEK Employee Reviews in United States

No structure, low pay
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMarch 31, 2016
I worked here for 6 months, in those six months I had 4 different supervisors and my schedule changed at least 5 times with no notice. Not only do you have to deal with the issues with in the work place, but also getting on the phone to get screamed at from unhappy customers. They want you on the phones 24/7, you barely can breath without getting a complaint. I lived 30 minutes away from this job and when it snowed I was still expected to make the 30 minute drive to work. However they did make attempts to lively up the place, but if you didn't have great coworkers around you to keep your head on straight, there was no morale what so ever. They don't care about their employees like they portray.
Pros
Great cow-workers, food incentives
Cons
Pay, benefits, management
Productive and laid back place to work
Customer Service and Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Farmington, MOFebruary 14, 2016
Startek is a good place to work because they offer good benefits, good hours, and many opportunities to bring in more money. I learned better customer service skills working here and the management team is very helpful and they work well with you. Co workers are very friendly and helpful as well. The hardest part of the job, for me at least, is being stuck in a chair all day. You get 2 15 minute breaks and a half hour non paid lunch but I have a lot of energy and it's really hard sitting all day. I like to be able to move around. The most enjoyable part of the job is all of the fun activities like pajama day and cake day and pancake day!
Pros
Center wide activities and free food on some days
Cons
Sitting down all day
Do not work here
customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 28, 2015
Startek is a call center so you deal with really rude people which is not even the issue. The management is extremely poor and the atmosphere feels like high school. I have been asked to work off the clock several times and breaks are cut short if you have to use the restroom. If you enjoy numerous managers telling you conflicting policies, rules, and how to do your job everyday then I recommend it. They promise you tons of growth and pay raises but you'll never see either and they are now starting to hire outside superviors instead of agents that have put a lot of effort in their work. The job is extremely mundane and everything seems to blend together after a while.
They do not value their employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 10, 2015
This place is awful. The environment is very depressing, the employees act like they're still in high school, anything goes here. It is a very unprofessional environment, changes are constantly made to where it's hard to stay up to date with job functions. They will cut your breaks and hours if they want to and make it well known the only reason they try to keep employees is because it's cheaper to keep them than to hire new employees. There are absolutely no opportunities to move up, I was promised a raise that they never gave me, as were the other employees in my section, there are rarely any raises anyway. Over all this is a terrible company and I hated going to work everyday. I barely got any breaks and the food in the break room is very over priced.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, unprofessional
A great opportunity in an area with few.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCDecember 14, 2015
This was a great position. The company promotes primarily from within, however advancement opportunities are few and far.

As a BPO, they are rigid in their scheduling. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as you can always count on a stable schedule with at least 2 consecutive days off. They can however, change your schedule at a whim. This can create headaches if one has children or a need for consistency. When these issues are brought to attention, the line "You were hired under the impression of an open schedule."

Most negative conceptions you will hear about the company are very often nuances of the industry as a whole. Startek itself actually is a great place with a great environment.
Pros
Long lunch, paid breaks, stable schedule, incentives, and benefits.
Cons
Health Insurance offered has high deductibles, stock options aren't worth a passing glance, nepotism, constantly changing policies can lead to confusion at times.
A day in the life
Customer Service/Billing/Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 7, 2016
Mostly at StarTek, one would be expected to do as the managers say, not as the example they give. The monetary compensation and benefits package are slightly above average. However, the people that I worked with were fantastic, the teamwork and friendliness of those who worked with me were more than awesome!
Best Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCApril 5, 2016
I love working at Startek but i just can not work so late at night. Startek has a very friendly environment. The workers are friendly and always nice.
Pros
the benefits and discounts
Cons
there are no down side to this job
Management could deal with stress better
Local Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 20, 2016
Come in, work, leave
Cool Managers
Coworkers vary from cool to irritating
It helps if you can hold a conversation when you don't want to
Lot's of space to relax
Benefits
Cons
Politics
Demanding atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  hot springs arkansasMarch 21, 2016
Contracted customer service call center, 30-40 calls per day regarding primarily billing or technical support related interactions. Sales and promotion and knowledge of products.

Personal interactions and a developed sense of empathy and proper communication skills to resolve customer issues and requests.

Management intends to provide an upbeat attitude and influence employees to maintain proper levels of statistics including handle time of calls, survey rankings and sales and offer statistics.

Being able to resolve customer issues to their benefit and complete an pleasant experience would be the best part of this profession
Pros
good pay and bonus structure
Cons
Pressure to push sales and offers in an unaccomodating environment
Na
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VADecember 9, 2015
Job atmosphere was high spirited and enjoyable. Sometimes call volume could be stressful and limited management available for escalation help. Overall energy and the workplace, benefits and ability to advance were great aspects of the job.
Great start, downhill from there
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 16, 2016
I started with this company when they opened a new location. Immediate promation based on my previous work experience, but it seems they are unable to keep, or extend, any decent t contracts, At one time they hired anyone with a pulse to fill a last minute temp contract, but then were stuck with overstaffing. Frequent layoffs include tenured, and those just hired. Upper management at this site is incompetent, and refuses to take responsibility for any issues the site may have.
Needs a complete turnaround in upper management to save what began as a promising opportunity.
Pros
Middle management does everything they can for the agents.
Cons
Low pay, drama, no job security
Fun place to work for certain people.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 10, 2015
Startek overall was not too shabby. The people there are amazing individuals. They are all so nice and are there to help and support you when you need it.
The hardest part of the job is the actual work. Though there are various departments in Startek, the one that always seems to be hiring is Collections. The Customers you handle in Collections are some of the rudest people you will ever deal with. If you have patience and can handle all forms of verbal abuse, this is the perfect job for you!
The most enjoyable part for me personally was the people there. As I stated before, they were all so nice and understanding. I wasn't afraid to ask questions and go to management when I had a problem.
Pros
Great benefits, minimal experience required, great starting wage, fun workforce
Cons
Cruddy work hours, rude customers
Poorly managed
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 3, 2015
I work at Startek in Lynchburg VA and have been there for a year and while they try pretty hard to make it a fun work environment the job itself is stressful and the way the company is managed is chaotc and completely disorganized. A typical work day includes answering back to back calls with little down time until you get your breaks. They advertise it as a place where one can start a career. During training I remember various people coming in and talking about how they worked their way up, but what I have learned since is that most of the promotions are given based on favoritism in my opinion. Also, in addition to a stressful job and poor management the scheduling is incredibly inconvenient, your schedule is subject to change every few months with little to no notice and the choice of when you work is given based on a metric system which I also believe is flawed (even upper management has said they are going to change it because it is not an accurate reflection of an agent's performance). The pay is decent for an entry level position and they do offer benefits.
Pros
They try to offer incentives
Cons
Stressful, favoritism
Wasn't the greatest
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 13, 2016
I didn't feel like I was trained well enough, pay was ok. Benefits were offered. Company closed and I was laid off just before Christmas.
Not a company that cares for their employees.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 21, 2015
The company itself is very unorganized. When one of the clients decided to close a sector of the company, although, works had been in play for months, nothing was told to the employees until two weeks before the sector of business closed. Many people were laid off and others offered positions in upcoming training classes but were never contacted. Management is all about playing favorites. Typically, an employee will spend an entire eight hours in their cubicle. Employees are allowed two 15 minute breaks and an hour or half hour lunch. The hardest part is trying to take time off when needed. The point system can be hard to keep up with for unscheduled time off.
Pros
Tight-knit group of coworkers, incentives like free lunches.
Cons
Poor benefits plans, preferential treatment from management, hard to move up in the company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 1, 2015
I've learned how to be very patient and understanding when it comes to dealing with customers. I've also learned how to put my foot in their shoes to realize where they are coming from.
Benefits
Cons
Being Antogonized All Day By Customers
Terrible employer
T-mobile (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAAugust 4, 2016
Only work here if desperate. They treat employees terribly. And don't pay out bonuses. When you do qualify for a bonus they find a reason to deny it or delay it so long that the employee quits or gets fired.

Worked there for a year and was treated terribly... not just me either. the HR offices are always full of people quitting or getting fired or filing harassment suits or complaints.

They fire people as quick as they hire them. Poor training poor support, Smells bad and ceiling leaks and facilities are always dirty and systems do not work. Vending machine are way overpriced parking is limited and security is terrible.

I repeat do not work here a gas station pay better and is a better job than startek.
Pros
A locker
Cons
Everything, bosses, management, smell, pay, treatment
Fading Fast
Premium Payment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 4, 2015
When I first joined Startek I was excited. It was a fun, fast past, and growing company.

But in the past 3 months it has declined rapidly. Promotions stopped, changes to the culture and atmosphere were implemented that curbed morale, and promises broken time and time again.

I wouldn't recommend Startek as a company to work for unless you are young and need job experience.
Pros
Decent Benefits Package
Cons
Low pay, Horrible Upper Management, Constant Broken Promises
fast paced work environment, unorganized staff.
Collection Agent (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 25, 2016
a typical day at work consist of fast paced working, answering calls in a timely manner, product knowledge and multitasking. i have learned a lot about the products and how to interact with clients. i love the clients that call in. most of management at startek seem lost in the fact of how to provide agents with the every day tools and assistance to handle work load. some coworkers are unruly and create a loud environment. hardest part about my job is getting help when needed while on a call. most enjoyable part of my job is helping my customers/clients.
Pros
nacho days
Cons
break and lunch scheduling
Not a good place to work
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 2, 2016
I worked there for about 3mo and it's not a job for someone that has worked retail or food service, where you're on your feet. You are placed at a desk and pretty much have to stay there, like a zombie. You can't read a book, can't play computer games, can't decorate your desk, can't talk to the person next to you, A LOT of can'ts. Supervisors just wonder around talking to each other. They don't help when you need it. They try to find a way to get out of talking to the person on the phone when, they request to speak to a supervisor. They expect you to handle everything on your own. A lot of calls were misdirected. The source where you get info for callers was not updated or wrong. You get penalized for having a doctor's appointment and showing up to work late or having to leave early. Doctor's notes do not matter. Honestly, if you're desperate for a job, take this one, but you won't like it. This was the worst job I ever had and I would never for back to the call center industry.
Pros
Acquired vacation time