Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews

High volume front desk with high energy co-workers
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 7, 2017
arrival and departure process for incoming/outgoing guests
heavy phone call intake

I learned how to multi task due to high volume of calls along with heavy foot traffic coming to desk

Workplace culture was fast-paced and high energy with co-workers who loved what they did

Hardest part of the job was trying to get to every single guest on the phone in a timely manner while also helping all guests standing in line.

Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people from all over the world that visit Hawaii and make their experience outstanding.
Pros
Working with and meeting new people on a daily basis; medical/dental benefits
Not a good work culture
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2017
Come in knowing that your are very replaceable. You will not be treated as an asset no manner how hard you work for them. You be placed in positions to fail daily and you learn how to make it work anyway. I had managers that made me do my job in spite of them ratther than for them. They also will get comfortable with you taking lemons and making lemonade rather than find ways to get rid of the lemons in the first place. Don't look for much planning for events but expect to have unnecessary problems to occur. Also no room for life balance as your life will need revolve around your job.
While the pay is low the benefit package is decent. You also will be respected for overcome the daily problems sucessfully.
Pros
free lunch, good insurance and benefits
Cons
short lunch, pay, Unnecessary stress.
Used to be a great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 15, 2016
After Marriott adquisition the company is not the same. The severance package is not as good as average US company. Sadly, Marriott is offering jobs that pay way less than current associates are making. They have cut vacation days, food and beverage discount has been reduced to 20% from 50%. Hotel discounts used to be very good for high-end hotels, now Marriott is preventing that.

Very bad work and life balance for some areas.
Pros
Ok Benefits, good hotel discounts
Cons
Terrible after Marriott merger
They make it sound so great...
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2017
They make it sound amazing when you first start then you soon realize it sucks unless you're just an amazing person with call centers. Benefits are no where close to what they tell you either and you can fired easily.
Pros
free lunches sometimes, training isnt bad
Cons
don't learn everything you need, way to many expectations
Great Company
Senior Supervisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 15, 2016
Great benefits and job advancement opportunities. Culture of service and keeping the guests and employees happy. Lots of training when there are system or policy changes. There are always changes happening. Fun events happen monthly and there are always contests to help drive better performance. Bonus structure is very easy to attain if you work hard and implement the feedback you are given.
Pros
Bonuses, vacation, Job advancement, Management team
Fast paced hotel company, large account base
Global Account Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2016
Great hotel portfolio, endless opportunities for on-property advancement. Exceptional client loyalty. Benefits to book business with Starwood is never-ending. Fantastic group promotions and reward program to drive outstanding results.
Pros
Great hotel portfolio
Cons
Marriott uncertainty
Fun learning and diverse atmosphere
Customer Service Spec (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67213December 27, 2016
I would typically take approximately 60-70 calls on an average day. These calls would be anything from making, changing or cancelling a reservation. The majority of the managers were very positive about the company. Most of my co-workers enjoyed the job as much as I did.
Benefits
Cons
Had to work all holidays
fun working place
Sales & service representative (Former Employee) –  Customer contact center Fall River,MaDecember 27, 2016
nice fulltime position, keeps you busy, supervisor suggestions, flowing environment, benefits, free events sometimes free lunch, organized, offers work from home
Pros
free events, worker appreciation
Cons
no flexable schedualing, need to work rotating weekends, not accomadating for families needs
Corporate Brand Manager assistant (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 12, 2016
Starwood Corporate was a new organization when I started working with them in 1998. Over the years I watched the organization grow but I did not have the opportunity to grow with them. I started in 1998 as an admin assistant and I left as an admin assistant. Starwood has great employee advancement programs and benefits but for some reason I never advanced to a higher position.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
lower tier employee advancement
Poor management
server at Il Mulino (Former Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLJuly 8, 2016
Working at Il mulino. Poor management. Dictatorship. poor people skills. Very sexist, unprofessional, and major favortism. Co-workers were cliquey. Manager was not looking for you to succeed, will lie even about employees, not open to suggestions, over staffed on slow days, manager will take out a bad mood on workers. Too bad a terrible manager took over this restaurant, it was much more successful and had happier workers before Brian Exner. Manager went from bus boy up to manager with no actual management skills. Very vengeful, temper tantrum style. Unprofessional.
Pros
free lunch, good benefits
Cons
poor management
productive and fun
Executive Meeting Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 6, 2016
great people
opportunities for advancement and areas of growth in different departments in the hotel
good benefits
annual increases
Great pay and great benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 15, 2016
This job had great pay and great benefits. However, they are really hard on you about meeting your conversion fresh out of training. I have never worked in a call center before and this definitely wasn't worth it to me. It had me so anxious every day I worked because I never knew if I would be fired over a bad conversion day.
Pros
Great benefits, great pay
Cons
have to meet a conversion, very strict about meeting said conversion shortly after training, you have no control over the type of calls you get, too many rude/nasty calls
Great work environment
Spa Helani - Spa Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Maui, HINovember 2, 2016
Starwood teaches great company values. This company provides valuable training throughout your career. Great benefits, health, dental, vision, 401k, bonus hotel and travel perks.
A very busy hotel
Director of Style (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Good for first time leader, benefits are good a fast pace job hotel has been very busy. a lot of famous people love to stay at the hotel.
Pros
Lunch is free
Cons
Hotel need more renovation
It was exactly what I needed.
Nest Coach (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 14, 2016
I've never worked for a company so willing to let me succeed before, nor have I worked for a company that actually cared so much for it's employees. The day in the life working here is pretty straight forward, you take phone calls in a brightly painted room. However, everyone there has such a positive outlook on life. Even as I moved into management, quite quickly I might add, higher ups were willing to work with my schedule as much as they could. If you want to try to work at a call center but you are afraid you won't like it, this is where you should apply. Even if you don't like the job, it will most likely be because it just isn't the right industry for you.
Pros
Environment, Pay, Benefits, Hotel Discounts
Cons
It is hard to get a day shift if that is what you want or need.
Lack of concern for amount of work expected to complete tasks
Ambassador - Customer Experience Management (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAJuly 18, 2016
Disconnect between management of ambassador service-customer experience management and associates. Expectations to continually add more work and clients onto already overloaded associates. Continual software issues and network/VPN issues.
Pros
Hotel discounts
Cons
Healthcare Insurance, Compensation, Management Disconnect, Lack of Communication
Family culture
Reservations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 13, 2016
Starwood Hotels and Resorts cultivates a family oriented work environment. The most enjoyable part of my job are the employee travel benefits.
The cast are great but you have to be carefull with managment.
In Room Dinning Captain (Former Employee) –  Walt Disney World Swan and DolphinNovember 12, 2016
The Room Service Captain position is a learning experience for those who have no clue what Food and Beverage is. If you have experience in ten field don't waste your time. They will promise many things and tell you everything you want to here but reality is another. If you want to growth forget about working hard a go directly to the big bosses offices and be there friend. The position is not a training program like they tell you, may be it was before but not anymore. You hardly see the manager and you will spend long hours there. No matter how hard anyone tries things will stay the same. The department runs because the cast is great and hard working but management is nonexistent. Empty promises will be your everyday thing.
Pros
The Hotel is beautifull
Cons
Food and Beverage is like a mafia.
Great Inviornment
Sales Reservation Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 7, 2016
I haven't been working here very long, but I love it. The training taught actual material that we would use on the floor, and the coaching staff is very great. Training wasn't like a school class like other jobs I've had. I would recommend this job to anyone. The pay is great and the team staff members are amazing!
Pros
Pay, Enviornment, Benefits, Scheduling
Cons
Short lunch breaks
The Benefits
Rooms Controller (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2016
The benefits are amazing. Work can be a bit messy. There's $5.00 parking and free lunch. The opportunity to grow can be a pro and a con at the same time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starwood Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.