Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews

Professional and fun work environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 6, 2017
Starwood is a great company and I've been able to expand my knowledge in the hospitality field, I was able to engage with new people each day from all over the world. Leadership is great, though supervisors do need improvement when it comes to helping their associates. I enjoyed talking on the phone and organizing everything for each guest.
Pros
Full-time, professional but casual environment, judgement free
Cons
Short lunches, leadership not that good
I enjoyed meeting the guests
Concierge Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lahaina, HIJanuary 5, 2017
I was behind the scenes and would help guests prior to their arrival. I would start my day by checking my voicemail, respond to guests via phone. I would then check my emails and respond to guests via email and send them their itinerary for activities. I worked 4 ten hour shifts, this was the best part of the scheduling was having 3 days off in a row.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management company changed hands multiple times
productive and fun workplace.
Reservation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2017
Coordinated guest reservation, and guest needs. I learned how to
coordinated staffing and shifts closely with management. the Managers were great very understanding. My co-workers were very
nice and very professional. the hardest part of my job was understanding different languages. the most enjoyable part of my job
was working with customer from all over the world.
Pros
Cafeteria at the hotel
Used to be a great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 15, 2016
After Marriott adquisition the company is not the same. The severance package is not as good as average US company. Sadly, Marriott is offering jobs that pay way less than current associates are making. They have cut vacation days, food and beverage discount has been reduced to 20% from 50%. Hotel discounts used to be very good for high-end hotels, now Marriott is preventing that.

Very bad work and life balance for some areas.
Pros
Ok Benefits, good hotel discounts
Cons
Terrible after Marriott merger
Not a good work culture
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2017
Come in knowing that your are very replaceable. You will not be treated as an asset no manner how hard you work for them. You be placed in positions to fail daily and you learn how to make it work anyway. I had managers that made me do my job in spite of them ratther than for them. They also will get comfortable with you taking lemons and making lemonade rather than find ways to get rid of the lemons in the first place. Don't look for much planning for events but expect to have unnecessary problems to occur. Also no room for life balance as your life will need revolve around your job.
While the pay is low the benefit package is decent. You also will be respected for overcome the daily problems sucessfully.
Pros
free lunch, good insurance and benefits
Cons
short lunch, pay, Unnecessary stress.
Great place to work.
Executive Receptionist AA, CEO (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 24, 2016
Starwood Hotels was and outstanding company to work for. I've been them for many years and have learned a lot about the hospitality business. We have a large diversity which makes it interesting.
A typical day consist of answering phones and getting to help as many people as I can. The hardest part of my job, is not being able to do my job.
The most enjoyable part is know that I have been able to help as many people as possible. Whether it's our guests, or a worker who needs help, or someone just to listen.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Distance
Wonderful work enviorment
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67218December 1, 2016
I love this job. The management is very supportive and want to help you succeed and move up with in the company. They have very good incentives for meeting goals. Overall is a great place to work. They also do special things for you like free snacks, free coffee and other fun things.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
30 minute lunch, not flexible on schedule changes.
The cast are great but you have to be carefull with managment.
In Room Dinning Captain (Former Employee) –  Walt Disney World Swan and DolphinNovember 12, 2016
The Room Service Captain position is a learning experience for those who have no clue what Food and Beverage is. If you have experience in ten field don't waste your time. They will promise many things and tell you everything you want to here but reality is another. If you want to growth forget about working hard a go directly to the big bosses offices and be there friend. The position is not a training program like they tell you, may be it was before but not anymore. You hardly see the manager and you will spend long hours there. No matter how hard anyone tries things will stay the same. The department runs because the cast is great and hard working but management is nonexistent. Empty promises will be your everyday thing.
Pros
The Hotel is beautifull
Cons
Food and Beverage is like a mafia.
Security
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Braintree, MAOctober 5, 2016

Patrol and protect The Starwood Hotels Information Technology Center in Braintree Ma via CCTV, Foot patrol, monitor air conditioning units, Monitor fire alarm systems, door alarms, access control and initial point of contact for The Braintree Police Department, Braintree Fire Department and Braintree EMS Medical Personnel.
Pros
Lunch breaks are long. Quiet environment
Cons
Fun learning and diverse atmosphere
Customer Service Spec (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67213December 27, 2016
I would typically take approximately 60-70 calls on an average day. These calls would be anything from making, changing or cancelling a reservation. The majority of the managers were very positive about the company. Most of my co-workers enjoyed the job as much as I did.
Benefits
Cons
Had to work all holidays
They make it sound so great...
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2017
They make it sound amazing when you first start then you soon realize it sucks unless you're just an amazing person with call centers. Benefits are no where close to what they tell you either and you can fired easily.
Pros
free lunches sometimes, training isnt bad
Cons
don't learn everything you need, way to many expectations
Not a bad place to start up working in call centers
Sales and service representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 4, 2016
This company is a very good start to call center work. I think mostly because you deal with people over the phone that know what they want, and the company takes plenty of time to help you grow as an associate rather than forcing you onto the sales floor when you're not ready.
fun working place
Sales & service representative (Former Employee) –  Customer contact center Fall River,MaDecember 27, 2016
nice fulltime position, keeps you busy, supervisor suggestions, flowing environment, benefits, free events sometimes free lunch, organized, offers work from home
Pros
free events, worker appreciation
Cons
no flexable schedualing, need to work rotating weekends, not accomadating for families needs
Easy Job , Poor Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 8, 2016
I put in 2 and half years , made millions in revenue for the company and was still treated replaceable.

The job doesnt require much except be at work and deliver great customer service and selling. If you are okay with always being on the back burner of feeling like you matter or make a difference i suggest it.
Pros
employee parties, free food time to time, industry discounts
Cons
poor leadership, bad schedules, no flexibility
Fast paced hotel company, large account base
Global Account Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2016
Great hotel portfolio, endless opportunities for on-property advancement. Exceptional client loyalty. Benefits to book business with Starwood is never-ending. Fantastic group promotions and reward program to drive outstanding results.
Pros
Great hotel portfolio
Cons
Marriott uncertainty
Progressive and Innovative Company
AD - North America Six Sigma & Operations Support (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 10, 2016
I have had the privilege of spending most of my career at Starwood Careers and the opportunities for advancement have been phenomenal. Starwood takes care of its Associates and gives them chances to try new things and expand their skillset by investing in them.
Poor Management, very superficial
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 31, 2016
I worked for the W hotel in minneapolis as an executive assistant, the management was poor at best. They are extremely superficial as my first review by the management concluded that I did not dress with the correct style although I was wearing business attire each and every day. This was also my first hotel setting that I worked in and the management had unreal expectations with little to no guidance in my daily duties and offered no coaching. Overall, one of the worst work experiences I have ever had.
Pros
Exciting, fast paced, energetic
Cons
Poor upper management, no coaching
Not an inspiring place to work.
Equipment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 21, 2016
Bad management. Contentious work place. Very bad morals. Need to do more for employees. Very high turnover. Have to do more to retain good employees. Management is more reactive than proactive. Company can do much better especially for its employees.
Pros
Cons
consistently bad
Friendly environment, entertainment, games and fun.
Sales & Customer service (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAOctober 14, 2016
My job duties include Customer Service and Sales. A full knowledge of the travel program, and Saratoga which is the navigational system. Providing the best options for the guest/member to utilize his or her points for travel. Have a full knowledge of all hotel brands worldwide.
Wonderful Crew
Front Desk/Guest Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 7, 2017
Perform bank balancing at the beginning and end of each shift.
check-in, check-out, telephone services, recording of guest requests/complaints
Provide the highest level of service to the guest at all times, management is wonderful, the job was easy, I enjoyed our guest

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starwood Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.