Starwood Hotels

Starwood Hotels United States Employee Reviews

Great experience working for industry leader
o Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 3, 2015
Enjoyable hotel management chain with limitless opportunity for growth and career advancement. Great company in the wrong location, which is why I assume Starwood all but completely pulled out of south Florida.
Fast pace environment
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee), Chicago, IllinoisMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Free hot meals with every shift, every day was different, and meeting exciting people.
Cons: No room for advancement in the field that I was in.
When I worked at the Westin it was a fun, fast paced, and friendly environment. I learned most of my computer skills there as well as how to deal with medical emergencies in the hospitality field. I learned how to work with others. Management was good and my co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was not knowing what happened to the guest after a medical emergency and the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people from all walks of life.
great company
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 26, 2015
booked vacation dates for customers, answered phones, filed, assisted customers with special requests, assisted coworkers and managers
Fast paced work environment with a variety or situations and interactions.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Fall River, MAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: hotel discounts, fun employee activity days, opportunities to move up in departments
Cons: non-stop can at times be incredibly overwhelming
On average, my work day consists of answering between 50-100 calls from all over the world. I've experienced working in an office setting and from home as well, primarily interacting with coworkers through email, Microsoft Lync, and participating in multiple conference calls and trainings. I would say the hardest part of the job is handling escalated client interactions, but I do think of them as learning experiences and find new ways to deal with these issues. The most enjoyable part of the job would be hearing the excitement in a guests voice when a call goes smoothly and you've extended all your positive resources to make a memorable experience.
assisting customers via phone making reservations and answering any questions or helping with any modifications
In-house Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fall River MassMarch 15, 2015
answering about 70-80 calls during each shift , assisting customers with booking their reservations ; assisting guest with any modifications / cancellations ; explaining all policies to guest , processing credit card payments ; explaining cancelation deadlines pushing the sale , upselling , etc
Great hours, and great location, and a great product to offer.
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 12, 2015
Pros: easy work schedule
Cons: nearly impossible to make sales, shaky qualification on tours.
Most working days ended around lunchtime, and most employees were a lot of fun to know. I would go back to work there if i ever needed a place to go.
FUN TO WORK
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 11, 2015
Pros: they offer great incentives such as snacks and contests which help build character and friendships
Cons: healthcare; advancement is not possible if you have past events
THE PEOPLE ARE NICE AND THEY HAVE A LOT OF COMPANY AND EMPLOYEE BUILDING EVENTS; WHICH HELPS DEVELOP CHARACTER AND FRIENDSHIPS. IN ADDITION, THEY HAVE A FUN WORKING ENVIRONMENT TO HELP EASE THE TENSION FROM WORK.
Decent Sales Job
Platinum Sales Rep (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 9, 2015
They had work at home positions, but not anymore. They also will hold grudges in some cases against employees who make mistakes.
Serious yet fun atmosphere
Revenue Auditor Specialist (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZMarch 8, 2015
Cons: no real training program
Revenue Audit for hotels, accounting, SAP data entry. Management was awesome, I felt like they really cared about me. The hardest part of the job is that there are so many little details to remember and to know, it's a little overwhelming.
Great place to work, great brand
Director, Banquets (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 8, 2015
I indeed love the culture that we have for the Westin Hotels; How we empower the associates to do whatevet it takes to take good care of the guests. We live the Brand thru our words, expression & actions is not an option. I enjoy everything about my job.
Great Company to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee), Fall River, MAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: worked from home
Cons: was in my pajamas all day while on phone
I LOVED working for Starwood Hotels. I was able to work from home and I truly enjoyed this. I was connected to a central call center and received incoming calls as you would in a typical call center. I was provided a computer and monitored by the company to be sure I was taking calls and providing the right customer service to my clients. Their training program was phenomenal! There was constant training always provided to me, if needed, sometimes required. Great Place to Work!!
Good people and training
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: free food sometimes, bonuses
Cons: short lunch, hard to find a supervisor or manager at times.
The company and really good and the job day is very busy and high paced so if that's what you like then their really good. If you suffer from Depression like I do then you should really get a job in house and not at home. I spent most of my time alone with no face to face contact for days at a time and it wore down on me.
Productive and fun place to work
CONCIERGE AND VACATION SERVICES (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: different locations daily
Cons: long drives between locations with short times to get there
Met people all day long and advised them when asked what do when dining, beaches, concierge services for everyone!
Very professional environment but mindful of the family life/work balance
Loved it
Training Team Lead (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Cons: office closure - lost my job
Great Company to work for. I enjoyed it a lot. The culture of the company is something to be sought after and I was proud to work there.
Starwood Hotels
Temporary HOA Collections (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 16, 2015
Starwood was a great place to be an employee and part of a great team. I learned a lot in the Collections department. I went into the company not knowing how to collect payments as well as they taught me. They have a great training program as well as a trainer. They were able to give people the confidence to gather payments from long time owing customers. I enjoyed being a part of their team.
Amazing place to work.
Communications Intern (Current Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 10, 2015
Great friendly and positive environment. Love the people I work with . very genuine and down to earth. Learn new things every day. Great to be a part of such a great culture and company.
Bonuses Available, Discounted Hotel Reservations
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee), Fall River, MAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: bonuses available, discounted hotel reservations
Cons: not enough pay
Typical day starts with finding a seat. Sometimes it would take 10-15 mins just to find a desk to work at since they seem to hire too many employees than they have seating for.

This job was not difficult just really have to be able to overcome guests' objections and get the reservation booked. Each call that comes in goes into an average of how many of those calls were turned into reservations. Must be at a specific selling percentage.

Not working with guests face to face is very hard for someone like me.
to much red tape
Executive Chef (Former Employee), new orleans LAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: good benefit and bonus
Cons: no reality of operation needs
to many meeting not enough time to trained personel. to many cut on staff with expextation of the same result. to many peoples micro managing
Great work place environment, great people
SPG Lite Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Wichita, KSFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great benefits, great pay, room for advancement
Cons: i had trouble getting them to work around my school schedule and children.
Took incoming calls and helped guests make, modify, or cancel reservations as well as account maintenance and other job related duties. Would trouble shoot or problem solve issues with the guests. Depending on the shift the calls maybe back to back or slow. I also got to use my creativity on small projects thought up by me or my supervisor. I learned about a lot of great hotels and how to read people's needs when it came to what they were looking for. I loved my supervisor and all the people on my team, coming to work was always something to look forward to. The hardest part of the job to me was getting those calls when someone had lost a loved one, I did my best to help them find what they were looking for and offered my most sincere condolences. There's not a lot of comfort that can come through a call like that, but most people appreciate that you did try. The most enjoyable part about working at Starwood I would say was the people. When you spend that kind of time around people, learning, helping, and sharing tips together, you build up a comradery, It's not easy to say goodbye when you never really wanted to go. Working for Starwood Hotels & Resorts was a great experience that I will not easily forget.
An excellent group of brands in a highly competitive industry
Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: free lunch, excellent leadership, focus on ongoing development of managers and employees
Cons: very lean staff, difficult to take pto and/or have to work during days off, high expectations with no tolerance for failure
This is a tough industry and almost everyone has to start out at the bottom and work their way up unless they have family in upper management. This is an excellent company to work for if you want to develop yourself in the hospitality industry and not afraid of long hours, taking a lot of responsibility, and getting the job done no matter what it takes. If you are aggressive enough to knock out obstacles (e.g. powerful, immovable 100-year industry veterans, aggressive cost cutting due to low room rate even at max occupancy, and rapid turnover in some departments) while at the same time putting your best foot forward for guest service and keeping good working relationships with the rest of the team you will do well in this company. You will get knocked down by failures no matter how good you are and you will need to get back up again or you will not survive. Sometimes, you will think you are doing the best job in the world and then you will be torn down to nothing for something completely out of your control. You will be surrounded by excellent role models and top-notch colleagues in many fields. It may be difficult to make a living if you are working at the hotel-level and not in a union or high-level management.

1 2 3 4 5

About Starwood Hotels

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide knows how to shine a light on hospitality. One of the world's largest hotel companies, – Read more

Starwood Hotels Photos