Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews in United States

Easy To Work For, But Offers Non-Competitive Pay
Quality Assurance Tester (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2016
While getting hired at Starwood was "just a job" originally, it has become the start of my career in Software Testing. The corporate culture is decent enough; I have good coworkers, and I have been able to learn a lot in the time I've worked here. The hardest part of the job is being able to afford living in an ever-growing city that attracts tech companies in droves (Austin, Texas) without having to move into a management position in order to receive a competitive salary.
Pros
Easy to get hired
Cons
Non-competitive pay
Productive and fun place to work
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 9, 2016
It's a great job at first but you may need to stay within it for awhile if you really want a raise/promotion. You also need to be willing to stay several phone calls back to back and the repetitive use of a keyboard at a small workstation. As long as you follow the rules and policies, it is easy to progress through the company.
Pros
Discounts on hotels, attendance incentives, vacation pay
Cons
Colleagues/peers, high-demanding customers
Wonderful fast paced place to work
Meetings & Convention Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 2, 2015
The Sheraton is a wonderful a place to be employed. The work culture is top notch and it's strive for excellence is unwavering. The Sheraton is a busy place as many large conversion hotels are and you tend to send a lot of time at the office. I have learned an enormous amount at the Sheraton that will assist me in what ever new opportunities I will have in the future.
Pros
learning opportunities, Advancement opportunities, Working with some wonderful people, Amazing travel benefits
Cons
Work life balance can be difficult being that is it a 27/7 operation
Customer Service Based
Security Lead (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 5, 2016
A time share property that is very focus on the owners and guest. While this can be a challenging environment, majority of the owners and guest are great. A good place to learn about the hospitality industry. All the departments work together well to build a great experience for the owners and guest. The company needs to improve pay and benefits to help with employee retention.
Great work opportunity
Director of Food and Beverage (Current Employee) –  New Orleans LouisianaOctober 7, 2015
Professional environment with a lots to offer to career minded individuals.

Opportunities are available on property and around the world.

The work life balance is comparable to other major companies and the benefits are good.

The leadership team is approachable and open to suggestion.
expectation are high and performance is rewarded.
Pros
good work environment, competitive benefits
Cons
none that I know when compared with corporate environments.
excellent environment
Vacation Services Cooridnator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 6, 2016
great place to work. excellent benefits, management is very helpful. you meet a variety of people from around the world every day
Pros
excellent benefits, commision, and bonus'
Cons
different locations for each shift
Great place to work, dynamic group of people, great brands
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 29, 2015
Variety of brands and locations in Atlanta allow for growth opportunity. Company supports work/life balance and offers great benefits.
Versatile environment
Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 11, 2015
At a resort you have the flexibility of transferring to different departments and gaining a tremendous amount of experience in different fields. Starwood invests in its people and I was honored to have received lots of training to help propel my career as a trainer.
Pros
Free lunch, free parking, great employee benefits
Cons
Poor hours
sounds better than it is
reservation agent (Former Employee) –  fall river maOctober 13, 2015
It starts out great. They tell you how "they are throwing money at you," but what happens is you begin to lose your sanity and they change your stats when you start getting close to getting bonuses. Give me a goal at the beginning of the month and stick to it. Don't raise it when I am àbout to achieve it. Now they are resorting to sign on bonuses
Pros
work at home
Cons
lies, lies, lies
Loved working here. Was made to retire because of politics.
Moonlight Engineer (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLOctober 26, 2015
Was forced to retire. Governor of state forced older ones to retire. Was said to be because of "Budget Cuts". Even though personnel was able to do the job. After everything settle down was determined the young were the only ones that kept their jobs.
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
Lots of buracacy.

Want to know more about Starwood Hotels?

Ask a question
Great Learning experience, and Company
Corporate customer care (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJuly 12, 2015
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Is the Best Company I have ever worked for. Their Training and Leadership is tops, They have the best Benefits package I've ever seen. Their Office atmosphere is Friendly Fun, and hardly any stress.
Though I don't agree with their Advancement and transfer protocol, it is functional and works. it just leaves some good experienced people short.
As a Disabled Vet, They bent over backwards to accommodate everything I needed to work.
Their Pay advancements leaves a lot to be desired. But I'd go back in a heart beat!!! ( if I moved back to Boston }
Pros
Free lunches from Visiting hotels.
No job security
Reservation Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 17, 2015
This company hired on at least 40 new employees about a year before they decided to close down the call center. I left as soon as I heard they were closing and acquired work elsewhere, however some people stayed hoping it was only a rumor and management went along with the rumor theory. Over 400 people were laid off with little to no warning. I think the entire situation could have been been handled with a lot more care and professionalism.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Low compensation, lack of professionalism
Beautiful location.
Front Desk Agent to Front Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLAugust 22, 2015
The location was beautiful, the rooms were pretty small though it is a very old building, the management was not very accepting of change, many guest complaints were advised to be "swept under the rug." I learned a lot about interpersonal relationships.
Pros
Great views, friendly staff, prime location
Cons
Upper management, benefits, hotel presentation
Fun family like work environment
Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLMarch 25, 2016
The only thing that kept me going each day was the people I worked with. Front line management was great! Their managers however did not seem to want to do much as far as making today better than yesterday. Was recieving the same guest feedback during my entire duration employees there and did not see the least bit of change to improve. Housekeeping team had a hard time keeping up with the pace the front desk moved at, causing guests to have to wait for rooms well after check in time.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
One thirty minute break unpaid. Did not matter if you worked 8 hours or 12.
Decent foot-in-the-door Job
Reservations (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 8, 2015
As a whole, It's a great company. I worked at the Fall River, MA contact center, they give you an extensive 3-4 week training, 1:30PM - 10PM M-F for the 4 weeks, which you must maintain 100% attendance to be eligible to continue.
During the training, they blow sunshine up your .. yeah. about how EXCELLENT the job is, and how it's so easy to move up. It's not.
Within 4 weeks, I was qualified for a promotion, graduating from the "newbie team" They state they believe in "auto progression" where, once you meet the qualifications, you're trained for the new job, where compensation is also increased. After 5 months, I still didn't even have my training scheduled.
Work was easy, most of the customers are simple, you'll get your usual idiot who wants a cheap hotel room last minute the night before christmas, but it happens.

I only recommend this job if you are HURTING to work, because they hire like rabbits reproduce.
Pros
Meetings from specific hotels, usually bring free lunch. Extensive Training program.
Cons
The work drains your sanity. Very Repetitive work.
It was exactly what I needed.
Nest Coach (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 14, 2016
I've never worked for a company so willing to let me succeed before, nor have I worked for a company that actually cared so much for it's employees. The day in the life working here is pretty straight forward, you take phone calls in a brightly painted room. However, everyone there has such a positive outlook on life. Even as I moved into management, quite quickly I might add, higher ups were willing to work with my schedule as much as they could. If you want to try to work at a call center but you are afraid you won't like it, this is where you should apply. Even if you don't like the job, it will most likely be because it just isn't the right industry for you.
Pros
Environment, Pay, Benefits, Hotel Discounts
Cons
It is hard to get a day shift if that is what you want or need.
Lots of fun events and a solid management team
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAAugust 31, 2015
I loved my supervisors and the opportunity to get a bonus each month. It was also very nice when we all got a raise to $12.50.
Pros
Fun events, amazing supervisors.
Cons
Flexibility with hours for people who have children.
The bait and switch
Reservations sales associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 29, 2016
Made it out to be this amazing place to work with an awesome bonus plan and perks, after a couple weeks in training and management tip toeing around how to bonus, it finally became clear that it's almost impossible to bonus at the rate they talked it up to be. You also never sit in the same seat each day and take back to back calls tethered to the phones never getting to know anyone around you, and no time after a call to collect your head. you also get in trouble if you aren't on the phones showing an average of 98% each month, and also if you talk too long on each call, you will not bonus. One of the most restrictive, lonely positions I've ever had and was so disappointed it wasn't everything they said it would be.
Pros
Occasionally bad free food
Cons
No freedom
Vacation Consultant
Vacation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2015
• Present product features and benefits; create urgency and need, overcome objections while maintaining a professional attitude in a fast paced atmosphere.
• Responsible to review, update and enhance owner vacation portfolios to help them attain the vacation lifestyle that best fits them.
• Successfully closed over $1.5M in vacation ownership sales
Great Place to work innovative and cutting edge company
Catering Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 10, 2016
Long hours, but very rewarding place to work. Great workers and management. I have learned a lot about event planning and customer service.