State Auto Insurance Companies Employee Reviews

Solid work
Farm and Ranch Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 15, 2017
I have worked her for three years. You are always able to say busy. There is travel involved in my position. There are some issues because a lot of people are over worked
Claims Department in Transition
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 19, 2017
There has been major reorganization going on for the last couple of years. There is no job security, and newer employees regularly just quit coming to work or get fired with no warning. Upper management is completely out of touch with the front line, and has created a very stressful atmosphere in which morale has bottomed out. The training has been non-existent (although they are trying to improve). You are assigned claims from all over the country, without any instruction or guidance on the state laws or claim handling requirements for many states. It's frustrating for the adjusters, and terrible customer service. They have outsourced claims recently, and it is suspected they may outsource the entire claims operation if results don't turn around, as they've been horrible for years. Very scary, and unsettling for all who work there. I can say that many of the employees are some of the most dedicated, intelligent and good people you can find.
Pros
Good benefits. Free or paid parking.
Cons
No job security, no training, no trust in management.
You were assigned claims by the office manager, and it was based on your position you had.
Claims Specialist II/Claim Representative I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 9, 2017
At State Auto everybody knew what their position required. Sometime you have to help where it's needed other than your normal job function.
Pros
Everybody go out for lunch together
Cons
Sometime you work through your normal lunch hour.
Hostile discriminatory work environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 21, 2016
This company has been suffering from high turnover. I quickly discovered the reason after only a short time of being employed there. There is no support for new hires. You are left to fend for yourself. Senior employees gossip about senior leadershiip to new hires. No faith in leadership. Senior staff gossip about how this company is doomed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Unorganized company. Low employee moral. Gossip
Effective Team work environment
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 16, 2016
A typical day consists of handling 3-5 new claims and processing pending clams to move to a resolution as quickly but also as thoroughly as possible. Time management and organization and 2 skills that are essential to being a successful claims adjuster at any level and I have continued to develop those skills in addition to my knowledge of policies, tort laws and the insurance industry as a whole to expand my understanding as to how many position effects and is effected by other departments within our company.
Home grown company turned corporation
Data/System Analyst (Current Employee) –  columAugust 11, 2016
Very solid company that is continually re-organizing to provide more profit for shareholders. They generally care about their employees; however, they do have to make tough decisions sometimes.
Pros
training, growth, pay
Cons
ongoing re-orginization, off-shoring of IT functions
Major boring place to work.
Operations Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioApril 28, 2016
Hired into a fantastic work environment. Slowly changed to very dull place. Been very dull for about 10 years now. Moved data facility to Delaware stand alone building. Feel like I'm not part of the team anymore.
Working at State Auto was like being part of a family.
Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, OHFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day day at work was mostly answering the phone to help agents with quoting/reviewing policies for issuance as well as doing my own reviews for cancellations or policy changes. We had weekly and monthly reports to do along with monthly agency visits. No one day was exactly the same as the other. I learned early on not to take things personally and to remain professional. Management was good....some better than others of course. But I think they all did the best they could. I feel I got along well with my co-workers. We would share pertinent and helpful information to help us do our job well and would also be willing and able to help each other.

For me the hardest part of the job was helping a disgruntled agent or insured. I found the best way to handle it would be to most importantly LISTEN to what they were upset about and then do my best to solve the problem. If it was something I really couldn't do anything about I would tactfully explain that to them. It wasn't easy but I ususally managed to leave the conversation on a good note.

The most enjoyable part of working at State Auto was meeting and getting to know a lot of wonderful people.
on the contract position
Development of Automated Test Framework (Current Employee) –  columbus,ohAugust 23, 2015
It is great experience working at this location.nice team to work with with lots of fun.great work life balance here.great work life balance here
Great team environment
SENIOR PERSONAL INSURANCE UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 22, 2015
I enjoyed being part of a team that worked well together, providing excellent customer service to co-workers, management, and customers (agents).
It is what it is
Desktop Support Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 30, 2015
State Auto can be one of the most either one of the best places to work or the worst. It really truly depends on who you work under. I enjoy working with people in all of the offices we service. That is one of the best things about what I do, however, some people do not follow protocol and try to go over your head with "needing" things.
No future here
IT (Current Employee) –  ColumbusJuly 14, 2014
Benefits keep getting cut. Bonuses disappeared. IT department being outsourced to India.
Pros
Free parking downtown
Cons
Culture changed. Lots of layoffs. No future
Does great work in the community!
IT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2014
Best job I have ever had, I walked out everyday feeling good about the people we helped and the people I worked with.
No future
Employee (Former Employee) –  DSMMarch 17, 2014
If you work in the Des Moines office there is no advancement there, small office, a lot of politics. Large work loads with unobtainable goals. If you do reach the goals they set forth management has been known to say you did not achieve those goals "in the spirit in which they were written", meaning they do not want to give you a raise.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
pretty much everything
Property Claims Adjuster is High Stress Job
Property Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Texas May 16, 2013
The property claims dept is a very stressful place to work. . The number of assigned claims at one time is beyond absurd. You could work seven days per week and never feel caught up to a reasonable level. If you care about providing good customer service to the insureds, the claim load will prohibit this because the insureds have to wait too long to be paid because you simply can't get it done in an acceptable timely manner. If people being upset and angry with you affects your mind and your body, this job will eat you alive. Not only will the insureds be upset all the time, the agents will be calling and emailing also wanting to know why you haven't taken care of their client. The stress is not worth it. The pay is better than some carriers, as are the benefits.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Work Overload, angry insureds, angry agents because too many assigned claims to handle
Good people to work with
Business Insurance Underwriter, AU (Current Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNMarch 24, 2013
It's been a good company to work for. I am just interested to see what other opportunities are out there.
Data entry, team players
Farm Service Representative (Former Employee) –  INDIANAPOLISJune 27, 2012
Data entry work, talk to agents to obtain more information if needed. Ordered report as in credit reports, driving reports, did production reports for manager. Kept farm dept supplies and brochures instock for coworkers, it was a fast pace at times but I enjoyed my job, my co-workers were always a team players, when time was a factor on an account the stress could be hard at times, but always work through it. The different jobs I did, working with my coworkers as team players .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State Auto Insurance Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8