State Auto Insurance Companies Employee Reviews in United States

Working at State Auto was like being part of a family.
Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, OHFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day day at work was mostly answering the phone to help agents with quoting/reviewing policies for issuance as well as doing my own reviews for cancellations or policy changes. We had weekly and monthly reports to do along with monthly agency visits. No one day was exactly the same as the other. I learned early on not to take things personally and to remain professional. Management was good....some better than others of course. But I think they all did the best they could. I feel I got along well with my co-workers. We would share pertinent and helpful information to help us do our job well and would also be willing and able to help each other.

For me the hardest part of the job was helping a disgruntled agent or insured. I found the best way to handle it would be to most importantly LISTEN to what they were upset about and then do my best to solve the problem. If it was something I really couldn't do anything about I would tactfully explain that to them. It wasn't easy but I ususally managed to leave the conversation on a good note.

The most enjoyable part of working at State Auto was meeting and getting to know a lot of wonderful people.
on the contract position
Development of Automated Test Framework (Current Employee) –  columbus,ohAugust 23, 2015
It is great experience working at this location.nice team to work with with lots of fun.great work life balance here.great work life balance here
Great team environment
SENIOR PERSONAL INSURANCE UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 22, 2015
I enjoyed being part of a team that worked well together, providing excellent customer service to co-workers, management, and customers (agents).
It is what it is
Desktop Support Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 30, 2015
State Auto can be one of the most either one of the best places to work or the worst. It really truly depends on who you work under. I enjoy working with people in all of the offices we service. That is one of the best things about what I do, however, some people do not follow protocol and try to go over your head with "needing" things.
No future here
IT (Current Employee) –  ColumbusJuly 14, 2014
Benefits keep getting cut. Bonuses disappeared. IT department being outsourced to India.
Pros
free parking downtown
Cons
culture changed. lots of layoffs. no future
Does great work in the community!
IT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2014
Best job I have ever had, I walked out everyday feeling good about the people we helped and the people I worked with.
No future
Employee (Former Employee) –  DSMMarch 17, 2014
If you work in the Des Moines office there is no advancement there, small office, a lot of politics. Large work loads with unobtainable goals. If you do reach the goals they set forth management has been known to say you did not achieve those goals "in the spirit in which they were written", meaning they do not want to give you a raise.
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
pretty much everything
Property Claims Adjuster is High Stress Job
Property Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 16, 2013
The property claims dept is a very stressful place to work. . The number of assigned claims at one time is beyond absurd. You could work seven days per week and never feel caught up to a reasonable level. If you care about providing good customer service to the insureds, the claim load will prohibit this because the insureds have to wait too long to be paid because you simply can't get it done in an acceptable timely manner. If people being upset and angry with you affects your mind and your body, this job will eat you alive. Not only will the insureds be upset all the time, the agents will be calling and emailing also wanting to know why you haven't taken care of their client. The stress is not worth it. The pay is better than some carriers, as are the benefits.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
work overload, angry insureds, angry agents because too many assigned claims to handle
Good people to work with
Business Insurance Underwriter, AU (Current Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNMarch 24, 2013
It's been a good company to work for. I am just interested to see what other opportunities are out there.
Data entry, team players
Farm Service Representative (Former Employee) –  INDIANAPOLISJune 27, 2012
Data entry work, talk to agents to obtain more information if needed. Ordered report as in credit reports, driving reports, did production reports for manager. Kept farm dept supplies and brochures instock for coworkers, it was a fast pace at times but I enjoyed my job, my co-workers were always a team players, when time was a factor on an account the stress could be hard at times, but always work through it. The different jobs I did, working with my coworkers as team players .

2.9