State Chemical - US Employee Reviews

Buyer beware
Sales (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 2, 2016
Company isn't very organized. They treat their employees like a number, and they expect you to provide all items needed for their sales positions. They expect you to buy an ipad and iPhone, don't reimburse you, they lean on you heavily to purchase apps for the position, a needed utility for the positions, they don't reimburse you. They will fly you into Cleveland, where they do not provide meals and don't give a clear understanding of what they will reimburse until a few days into the job. The training is graphically unorganized and who knows which part of the country you will be in for training and they likely won't give you a ton of heads up where you will be. The company isn't very willing to invest in you, but say that you need to show them that you are invested in the position. It is really pretty poorly run and they don't seem to have a focus except making as much off of you as they can. They do pay well, but it is an at will employer, and there is no given that you will be given the opportunity to succeed.
Pros
base pay is solid
Cons
seem underhanded, you must purchase a ton of technology, you are expected to keep many folders of paperwork still
Quality Products
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Bayamón, PRSeptember 28, 2016
It was the company that gave me the opportunity to learn about sales and which manages to be gernete district. Recruitment, training vendors. The company paid me all expenses including payment of my car.
Productive and fun place to work
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 20, 2016
I planned and ran a territory of more than 5 counties and more than 80,000 in revenue. I did a lot of prospecting, cold calling, warm calling, emailing, lead generation. I partnered with other local sales representatives and the District Sales Managers resulting in acquisition of new corporate and national accounts. I directed sales focus to achieve maximum growth for not only my territory but for the overall company. Great team environment.
Pros
great team environment
Cons
lack of room for growth
Avoid like the plague...
strategic account manager (Former Employee) –  Anonymous, TXDecember 7, 2015
I'll make this short and sweet:

-TERRIBLE managers(modern day vacuum salesman.)
-HORRENDOUS pay scale and expense reimburse.
-DECEITFUL management will LIE about territory/book of business.
-FORCE you to buy an iPad.
-Very cliquey DSM & RSM

If your desperate, by all means accept a position with this company. I too was lied too and told that "we give you the tools to be successful, it's up to you!" Which is just a way for management to get you to accept any and all responsibilities for the accounts. BEWARE: i was promised I would be making $45,000 (which was my former salary amount before joining State) as told by the RSM, I ended making around $27k and some change.
Pros
I learned I never want to have anything to do with janitorial and maintenance products.
Cons
Treated like second class citizen, extremely low pay, peabrain managers, lies.
Don't expect to move up
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 5, 2015
Company isn't growing, and there is no chance or opportunity to move up in this organization. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
No growth potential
A company that care about their employees, challenging, fun-loving fellow workers.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH.October 4, 2015
Great company to start at the bottom with because there were so much room for growth in the company, and I took good advantage of that asset. Was turned over to management with in a year, I love to sell a product I believe in, and industrial chemicals were very interesting to me, and I learned so much.
Great support from office specialists and management
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 29, 2015
The company is constantly coming up with new ways to help reps in the field. Solid support from management with any challenges I would come across. Managers are more concerned with helping you hit your numbers than micromanaging their reps.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Not the greatest benefits package and bonus structure
This company initiate me in the sales of Industrial Chemical Products
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRFebruary 14, 2015
Earned the "Wild Gater Award' for 2003 for the most sales and equipment installation for the year.
• Recognized for being responsible for attracting 99% of all new accounts to territory.
• Designed and implemented training to clients in the proper use of industrial chemical products.
good start up position
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHDecember 1, 2014
Becoming an account manager at state industrial products is a great opportunity to find out if a career in sales is for you. It is a very demanding job which requires long hours and rejection, which is typical within the field, but at the same time you are provided with the tools to be successful. That being said, the management structure is not ideal, and there are times when help will not be available.
State Chemical Account Manager
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 20, 2014
I enjoyed my position with State Chemical very much. Excellent Training Program. There is a large variety of products to offer clients including a Green Cleaning line that practically flies off my order pad. There is a product to offer each c-level decision maker you meet, making it possible to sell each appointment.

Complete Autonomy allows for a flexible schedule but requires you plan ahead and keep a tight schedule to allow for maximum exposure to new clients.
Pros
Complete Autonomy allows for flexible scheduling
Cons
Time tracking CRM requires suplimentary scheduling materials and seems outdated
freedom
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 3, 2014
I worked alone and enjoyed that. I had freedom. I had great teachers.
it was my first job just out of school
Shipping/receiving clerk (Former Employee) –  cleveland ohioAugust 17, 2014
I learned a lot while working there for 8 years co-workers were fun to work with
R&D Intern
R&D Intern (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 5, 2014
Fun working environment and I left with long lasting relationships as friends and colleagues.
Good place to work with excellent products
Strategic Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 23, 2014
A typical day at work began before 8 am. There was no such thing as a "typical" day. You could have a tentative plan but your day could change with a single phone call.

I learned that you have to be proactive in dealing with accounts. That customer service is the most important part of any good business. My co-workers are some of the finest people that I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

The hardest part of the job was the driving and working alone. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the ability to meet a variety of people and being a consultant for them. Helping them to streamline their operations and providing them with a service that benefited not only them but there customers as well.
Pros
Great field people to work with.
Cons
Lack of communication from upper management
Not an enjoyable place to be employeed.
Bookeeker (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 17, 2014
Worked on accounts for customers.
Training was minimal.
Management was quick to blame me due to my being a female veteran.
Co-workers were not a friendly group due to my being a female veteran.
The hardest part of this position was communicating with management.
Not sure there was anything enjoyable.
Pros
first job after getting out of the military
Cons
no health care, little pay
Nice being on your own.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 30, 2014
A good company for repeat business. You must also cold call.
I learned over 700 products and what they do. Management will leave you alone if you are doing your job. Co workers are always fun to be around when you get together. Must be a self starter because no time clock to punch. Always best part of the job is to sell sell sell.
Pros
Set your own time.
Cons
Absolutely no job security they will let you go with no notice
Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado July 18, 2013
Typical day at work consists of putting in at least 12-15 hours a day including weekends for little pay, upper management is absolutely horrible. The CO market is going through serious changes, stay away. co-workers for the most part are great. The company is very confused, you are told you are a service company but all you do is sell products. "Specialists" are constantly working with you and do not provide any sales help at all. They will belittle you, degrade you and when you stand up for yourself they let you go with no notice. What I learned was the competition is outrageous and the hardest part is sucking up to upper management.
Pros
If you make it past 3 months without being let go it would be an ok job
Cons
Upper management, corporate, work load, pay, excessive personal vehicle usage
Terrible management attitude and problems
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 24, 2013
Problems from predecessor created problems and higher ups were not willing to listen or be understanding. Ended up working 70 hours+/week because of all the things they require you to start doing once hired. Certain co-workers were extremely rude and negative and you have to spend a whole day driving around in a car with them and managers. Spent most of the day sitting in car to make 50-75 phone calls a day. This was an outside sales job, and they force you to sit on the phone most of the day. I would've applied for an inside sales job if that's what I wanted. Some sales hindered and stolen by inside sales rep in other states.
Pros
meet a few nice people
Cons
all others are rude people and worked terrible hours (7am to 10pm usually)
was fun for a while,but little recognition for hard work, mgt had little foresight.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKla.October 25, 2012
day typically not overly stressful. learned the best way to impress was to kiss up to mgrs. since I hired most of coworkers, I feel they were exceptional. management not open to new ideas. Not a real rigid place to work, except for attendance, which was expected.
Pros
pay scale
Cons
401k match & bonus
It was a learn experience for me . I learned about the market of Industrial, Janitorial and Cleaning products. I built a lot new business relationshi
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 24, 2012
Learned the Market in South Florida in Industrial , Janitoral and Cleaning products.Management was very good to me , I built a good friendship with my District Manager , invited me over his house for dinner several times went out with him fishing few times. I only was able to interact with my co-workers in meetings, and trips to headquaters located in Ohio.The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to sell to the Army Reserve and Marine Reserve since we had a GSA goverment contract. I enjoyed interacting and building business relationships with those who serve and defend our country.
Pros
good and fair district manager
Cons
nio much benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State Chemical - US. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9