State Collection Service Employee Reviews

Horrid
collections definitely..bad debt (Former Employee) –  WIMay 25, 2017
I worked there for almost 2 months in bad debt..I stuck it out as long as poss, new people are put on outbound calls a lot even after you have proven yourself. Management will put you on Accts that no one answers but will call back. 2 weeks straight I was on outbounds dialing made hundreds of calls. The next day samething but I recently found out. People there are greedy they don't want to work accts but want the benefits from the trash..working them trash meaning us new people. We make tons of calls and get put on them again so we don't get any inbounds..where the money is. So when consumers call in on Thursdays and Fridays guess what..oops tjey are protected so we get nothing even though we trash..worked them for hrs and days. Supervisor I had was obviously behind on her teams goal so did us dirty so she could benefit. I don't beleive all are like that but my supervisor was. I have seen 3 people leave since I started. Same supervisor. If you want an easy job and aren't worried about extra money then have at it.
Pros
long lunch
Cons
hrs, impossible expectations, bad management and holy cliques and favorites.
Wonderful place to work
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 18, 2017
State Collection Service has been a wonderful place to work. It is very family orientated and they care about their employees. I've been with State for 10 1/2 years and would not change anything.
great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILFebruary 23, 2017
This is a great place to work, the culture is great. I loved the activities we had on a monthly basis. My supervisor was very approachable, great open door policy.
Great at first then the shimmer goes away.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Beloit, WIFebruary 20, 2017
Typical day- taking inbound and making outbound calls for your client.
One pro to this job- I have expanded my knowledge of medical billing and insurance terminology.
They really try to sell themselves with the bonuses and raises. Read the very fine verbiage of what you sign because chances are you won't get your bonus or a raise. Most of the people who work there have been working there for a little under a year, which says something about the companies revolving door of employees.
The team I work on is full of wonderful people, they all try their very best every day to do their jobs. The work load and expectations to meet an ever rising rising monthly goal are unreasonable. I see no room for growth within this company. What I do see is a company growing too fast for it's own good, low moral among the few veteran employees due to favoritism and no room for advancement.
If money really drives you and makes you competitive this may be the place you you. If you like helping people and have a soft heart you will not enjoy this job.
Pros
Nice starting pay, but don't expect a raise. Knowledge you can use to take to future jobs.
Cons
Stressful work environment, impossible goals
Family
Professional Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 9, 2016
This company changed my perspective on life. They were always concerned for their employees no matter what! I enjoyed my time there and I may go back one day.
Three seperate interviews
None (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 28, 2016
Never worked for this company but had three separate interviews, all of which I felt were great. I went in dressed clean & professionally, answered every question without hesitation, went above and beyond with my answers and STILL got a rejection email. Makes me wonder what kind of people they DO bring on.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Caring, trusting management. Family owned company and it shows
EBO Rep (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 14, 2016
The job isn't easy, but the support from management, supervisors and executives is something I've never experienced before. The family feel is great. Management actually walks around and knows employees. The hardest part about the job is the work isn't easy, but it is rewarding to help people
Pros
Family Feel
Cons
Being on the phone all day, but we get breaks
A Depressing Sad Place to Work
Extended Business Office (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 17, 2016
First, the general environment is dreary and dank. The building itself has been in need of a major overhaul for ages. It is a dirty, smelly, windowless prison of a place.

Second, the hours are terrible. Be prepared to give up two or more Saturdays a month...no choice in the matter, no options.

Third, do not expect to be appreciated, and you will not advance. It doesn't matter if you work hard and innovate. It doesn't matter if you give as much energy as possible; only if you are a rare creature that delights and is supremely successful in extracting $ from poor and elderly people will any kudos come your way. By the way, merely making or exceeding your goals will not be adequate.

And finally if you end up on the Collection side, be prepared to be ignored and lied to. If you end up on the EBO side, you will be constantly moved around in an ever changing struggle to keep up with one management failure after another.
Pros
They will pay you. They have to.
Cons
Time off is difficult to come by, no advancement.
Horrid
EBO Specialist (Former Employee) –  West AllisDecember 10, 2015
Constant violations of HIPPA, disrespectful management, lack of communication, everybody seems to do their own thing.. They don't understand the process of the job and their systems are terrible.
Pros
Decent pay, Incentives
Cons
Everything else
A Day at State
Collector (Current Employee) –  Beloit, WINovember 17, 2015
My work is easy if been in the customer service industry for a long time now. I've won 20+ awards and I've learned that working with people is what I'm going to do for a career. My coworkers make my job 10x better so a good work environment is a must for me. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help a customer but I always know a supervisor is there to help me if I need it. I've grown from just customer service rep to a professional debt collector with help from a great training staff and great coworkers.
Productive and fun place
Patient financial specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 8, 2015
Always advancement opprotunities, yo'ull never get bored because theres always new things to do and learn. Its truly a great place and i recomend it to all.
Fun and Challenging
THIRD PARTY DEBT COLLECTOR (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILJuly 3, 2015
I always love the hunt for money. My debt collection approach is "kill them with kindness." Supervisors and management are amazing. They help employees grow and flourish in a career that can be difficult. Bonuses and commission are wonderful as well. Put your time in and you will do well.

Comment – July 24, 2015

This comment is very true. My supervisor and manager were absolutely amazing and I actually said that at one point in time..."I love the hunt for the money." Loved my job but the pay is just so pitiful if there is no commission to be made and it is all about what client you are assigned, not about skill of collecting.

Feels like you are in high school with all the cliques
Medical Biller/Collector (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIMay 20, 2015
Had class room training for only 2 weeks. Didn't even get trained on the 2 main programs I would be working with. Management lacked certain discipline and let people get away with somethings and others would get in trouble for it. Lots of favoritism and real cliquey between coworkers. Free lunches and the months contests were nice. Was very stressful at times and I wasn't even in bad debt. Would be ok for a short term job.
Pros
free lunches, being able to make up hours/semi-flexible schedule
Cons
management, monthly bonuses were a joke to get, promises that never went through, favoritism
Great company to work for.
Collections Account Manager (Former Employee) –  beloit, wiMay 5, 2015
Great management. Great teams. Great job. The owners of the company are active at branches and you are thoroughly trained.
First 9 months were great last 3 months were horrible.
Patient account representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 1, 2015
One rude and disrespectful manager made the experience unacceptable.
First 9 months were great and the last 3 months were horrible.
Productive, Fun place to work
Debt collector, Supervisor,Training (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 6, 2014
I had various different jobs While working for State collection, As a Collector my job was to call debtors, Gathering information while trying to get a better understanding of the persons situation, I would take that information and determine what would be the best arrangement for that person and the client, While always trying to exceed company goals and expectations
As a supervisor I wore several different hats, I helped with hiring and firing. I trained individuals as they grew into becoming professional debt collectors, my job was to motivate, monitor and mentor. I would sit with them on a daily basis making sure they said what needed to be said in order to comply with company and client standards. I made myself available to them at all times. Most important was to make sure our clients needs were met. Monitoring calls to make sure we were treating people with the utmost integrity, We always tried to make working fun, we ran contests to motivate individuals, it could be calls, or contacts, or highest dollars collected in a day. I loved my co-workers, looked forward to coming to work daily. The hardest part of a supervisors position was firing, I did not enjoy it, I liked most people I worked with and thought I could train any one, but unfortunately it didn't work out that way and we had to fire people.
Pros
Free lunches, great people
Cons
Nights and week-end
Not a very stable company
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNOctober 13, 2014
Collection og medical debts, i learned about coding for medical payments. Management and co-worker were great.
Pros
close to home
Cons
working every weekend
great co workers
medical debt collector (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILAugust 2, 2014
Very stressful job but the co workers are amazing. They pay is base plus commission. Unfortunately u rarely see the commission.
Does not cater to long-term employees!
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 15, 2014
Company can not keep up with its growth leading to flimsy management, highly lacking training programs, and daily technological issues making day to day work atmosphere hostile and inconsistent. Good place to work short term, but the turnover rate is very high.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, great coworker relationships
Cons
Zero career development, chaotic management structure
work enviornment was not happy a lot of peolple were stressed
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 13, 2013
On the phone all day with debtors updating their financial situation for their records also making calls to try and collect debt.
Pros
learned a lot about debt collecting
Cons
short breaks, also the job was very stressful at times debtors could be very demeaning and rude.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State Collection Service. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7