State College of Florida Employee Reviews

Excellent Work Opportunity
Motorcycle Safety Foundation Range Aide (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FL and Venice, FLOctober 10, 2016
I worked for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation through the State College of Florida as a 'Range Aide', a secondary instructor for the motorcycle course required by the state of Florida to acquire a certification to legally ride a motorcycle.
On a typical day, I was responsible for the safety of 6-12 participants in the course, setting up the courses to be run, and running a demonstration ride. Furthermore, every day I ran diagnostics on each of the 14 (250cc) motorcycles owned by the State College of Florida to ensure proper function and safety.
Pros
Diverse customer base, required creative solutions for problems
Cons
Florida summers can be a drain on all participants involved with the program.
Difficult atmosphere due to political conflicts between board and administration
Teaching Faculty, Natural Science (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 23, 2016
Faculty are caught as pawns in a political battle between a very conservative board and an administration that is trying to minimize damage to the faculty.
Great place to work, learn a quite a few things about drinking and driving laws.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 15, 2015
I work as student assistant at Traffic Safety School in accordance with the Former college, Manatee Community College, Sarasota Downtown location. The school registered students for basic traffic school to DUI school level II. also provided drug counseling. The office was fast -paced and offered friendly customer service. I learned a great deal about drinking and driving laws as the instructors were off duty law enforcement. The hardest part of the job was to convince students that the worst was behind them. The most enjoyable part of the job was our potluck Fridays; we had a great group of people.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
temporary position
SCF has a lot of hard working & commited employees
Staff (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 16, 2015
The State College of Florida is made up of a multitude of committed employees and staff that are committed to the students that they serve.
Pros
Florida Retirement
Cons
Board of Trustees that are not committed to education
When it was Manatee Community College it was a great place to work. I don't know how it is now.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLAugust 6, 2015
Loved working with the students helping them with computer assignments. It was a fun place to work. I got to meet a lot of people who appreciated the help I gave them.
Pros
Worked around my class schedule.
Cons
Couldn't work there any longer without being a student.
Work Climate
Academic Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 6, 2015
The institution does not have a retention plan for it's students. The work climate and future is not student centered or focused. The institution is very antiquated as it relates to institutional advancement, development and technology.
Pros
Good health coverage
Cons
Does not pay well or for your experience
Fast paced with close ties between faculty and staff
Information Technology Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLJuly 27, 2015
A typical day started by checking what was on the bench and checking on projects, if they were carried from the previous day. Afterwards, I would wait on management or for a help ticket to come in to be put out on duty. If there was nothing, I would organize files on the college's IT servers. This would include renaming files to include dates and adding files into a .BAT file for use across the campus. At the end of the day, I would check to make sure that I had done everything that I was told to do that day.

I learned many things while there, including how to deploy files and how to manage printers both on the network and in person. The management was divided while I was there, as how the board was trying to cut down on budgeting for IT, while the were complaining to the IT that they were getting viruses, system lockups and outdated software.
Pros
Great experience, department get-togethers, closely knit workers
Cons
division between management and workers
Work-Study Student
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 26, 2015
My first job working at State College of Florida as a work study student. Love my co-workers. They are very fun to work with and spent time with,
Pros
I get to do my work when things at the office was slow.
Cons
It gets boring when it doesn't get busy.
A lot of down time
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 8, 2015
Management is very nice and you get to interact with a lot of people
Do most of your work alone in a very quiet office
There is a lot of personal time to yourself
Provide fun worplace
Earth Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 22, 2015
The key characteristics in these place are TRUST, PRIDE and ENJOY. From the Employee’s perspective, a great workplace is one where they:
- TRUST the people they work for;
- Have PRIDE in what they do; and
- ENJOY the people they work with.
Trust is the defining principle of great workplaces like SCF — created through management’s credibility, the respect with which employees feel they are treated, and the extent to which employees expect to be treated fairly. The degree of pride and levels of authentic connection and camaraderie employees feel with one are additional essential components
Pros
Fleaxibility in time frame
Cons
Busy parking lots
Time, motivated punctual friendly
Student Life Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 10, 2015
A typical day at work is 8 or more hours a day at work. I learn more and more about the company that I work for and would like to move up. I get along with management great because I believe that management should always about the work life. I think the hardest part of any job is the fact that when you love it, it's hard to leave it. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I can learn more about my job. Knowledge about the company is always good.
Health Administration
Full Time Student/Hospice Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 4, 2015
It is a school that I am attending. They have a good web-based program that is geared to work with busy professionals. Great teachers and curriculum. Working on my 2nd degree from them.
motivated students but inadequate compensation
Adjunct Instructor/Sociology (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 8, 2015
SCF has motivated students. There are not many professional development opportunities. Adjuncts are rarely included in faculty decisions. Compensation is not adequate for the amount of work required.
Pros
motivated students
Cons
compensation not adequate
Typical government agency.
Student Support (Former Employee) –  Student SupportFebruary 26, 2015
Lack of long-term or innovative ideas. Old managers, with old management mentality. Run by a board that is completely disconnected from the reality of the needs of the organization. They- along with the stagnant management are clueless as to how to turn this organization around.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Lack of employee development or employee recognition.
Great place to work for students needing a flexible schedule
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 2, 2014
Essentially helped people in the computer lab that needed help.
Toxic Environment
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 17, 2014
A very sullen environment run by myopic individuals with less that human characteristics. A sad and negative place. Education is dead. And this workplace only reinforces my belief that politics in the workplace tend to breed tiny monsters. I wish them the best...but I would never return. Not even to use their library...
Pros
Lots of great students
Cons
Egomaniacal academics that couldn't survive in the private community.
Very easy going temp job.
Assistant Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLOctober 2, 2013
Small office environment, answered telephone calls, worked with very professional ladies and gentlemen. Management was great anything I needed they were there. The only setback to the job is they offered very limited hours. Nothing stressful about this position. Best part is the odd phone calls.
nice summer job
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 23, 2013
good experience nice employees summer was the most fun time with all the different colorful clothes and changing the manikins
Pros
nice store
Cons
no benefits down time
A good school job
Student Assistant for Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLJuly 22, 2013
Being a student assistant at State College of Florida was a very rewarding experience. The staff is always very friendly and loves the help that you give them. I learned about the steps each department has to go through to accept a student to the school, to change records, and to instruct students about which form they would need to fill out to succeed.
Pros
Great experience.
Cons
Minimum wage and limited hours.
Great place to work.
Systems Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FlJuly 2, 2013
Great place to work. The people are all great to work with. The location is beautiful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State College of Florida. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7