State Department Federal Credit Union

State Department Federal Credit Union Employer Reviews

Not your average workplace
HRIS/Payroll Specialist (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
The State Department Federal CU does not promote people on their skills and/or knowledge. Employee's promotions/pay raises are usually based off the friendship you have with your manager and/or the friendship they have with Senior Management.
Great co-workers and benefits
Loan Closer/Disburser (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: distance, traffic
SDFCU is a great place to work with great benefits. My co-workers are very friendly and fun to work with. Thney are also very helpful. A typical day will have me helping borrowers, co-workers, managers etc. I get my work done in a timely manner. I do not consider my job hard or easy as it changes every day. The buisest time of the month is the ending – more... because we have to transfer all loans to mortgage servicing. – less
Teller/Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 10, 2014
Benefits are fantastic, the culture is strong and helpful, and the business is small enough to care about their low level employees.
Productive and challenging work environment
Member Solution Representative/Collector (Current Employee), Headquarters Alexandria, VAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: working with a great group of team members.
Cons: working on saturdays
Fielding phone calls from members regarding past due payments, negative balance and offer assistance to those member with financial difficulties.

I have learned to be more sympathetic and empathic to our members and their financial distress.

The hardest part of the job is listening to members who are having financial difficulties and not being able – more... to help with any of our programs.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help and offer assistance to those members with financial problems by informing them of options that may best suit their financial needs. – less
good company to work
Personal Service Representative (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 22, 2013
professional environment , friendly coworkers , most enjoyable part was meeting new people every day .
Very Productive
File Clerk (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 17, 2013
Pros: fun people to be around
Cons: management
Scanning in Home Deeds and making sure that their monthly payment was up to date in our records. Having to scan in over 1500 boxes of Home Deeds and refiling them into the system once i was done. Keeping track of all the people i have input into the system.
Real Estate Loan Officer
REAL ESTATE LOAN OFFICER (Former Employee), Alexandria, VASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no parking
Real Estate Mortgage Loan Officer, temp to perm
State Department Federal Credit Union
Proposed Credit Union Loan programs to members for refinance and purchases according to Freddie Mace
guidelines. Follwed all PMI's guidelines for loans with <80% LTV's.
Analyzed Credit reports for pre-qualifications, pre-underwrite loan applications according to compliance, – more... & LP
guidelines. Quality Controlled each loan file in accordance to FHA guidelines.
Crossed sold Credit Union products including but not limited to HeLOC's, Car Loans, Financial Planning, New
memberships, & Credit Cards. – less
Customer service beyond the norm
Manage (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 18, 2013
Learnt to work with people who had great work ethic.
Was able to balance work and life well.
A nice work environment.
Computer System Operator (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 8, 2013
Operate computers and maintain system for accuracy. We were under direct supervision of the manager. My co-workers are very helpful in case I need help. The hardest part of the job is because of the commute. The most enjoyable part of the job is to learn new materials that are provided.
Productive work environment
Department Lead (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAApril 22, 2013
Pros: team lunches and meetings enhanced productivity
Cons: not enough management involvement
Fast paced environment. Worked with a great team. Opprotunity to work with clients all over the world which was exciting
Relaxed working environment , they want to help their members
Controller / Director of Finance (Current Employee), Alexandria, VaNovember 25, 2012
Pros: nice place to work
Cons: small organization
A nice place to work

I have developed a great deal of knowledge about the credit union industry

Co-workers are nice to work with

Hardest part of the job - do a great deal of analysis and I do not have anyone to double check my work

I get to do a great deal of interesting analysis
It was great!
Manager of Records Management (Former Employee), Alexandria, VASeptember 5, 2012
It taught me a lot about the difference between backs and credit unions but at the end of the day it was all bout the the customer.
My Co-Workers
Temp (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 25, 2012
Pros: they kept me busy at all times and if i didnt have anything to do, they would find wor for me.
My co-workers made my work there fun and interesting, but very productive