State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 3,685 reviews matching the search
Great people
ILR Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 22, 2017
Overall, a nice company to work at. The people and environment are quite relaxed and helpful despite the systematic micromanagement in terms of scheduling and metrics. The training is quite long and helps to build that sense of camaraderie.

The hardest part of the job is immediately falling into the metrics required by the company, as they're built on the optimal cases. While comprehensive on the details, training doesn't do enough to prepare for that aspect of performing the job so it takes some time and experience to get there.

The benefits are pretty good, with the only exception being the strangely unforgiving emergency/sick day ruleset.
Pros
People, Environment, Training
Cons
Micromanagement, Unforgiving Emergency/Sick Day Ruleset
Professional work environment
Propert Claims adjuster (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 3, 2016
We were available to take client homeowner claims calls from allover the USA, to call out for quality first contact and verify the facts of loss, then move the claim forward in the best way. Every assignment presented learning opportunities. Management and co-workers are supportive and capable. The hardest part was denying coverage when it did not apply; The best part was helping people to understand and claim all of their available benefits.
Pros
Great training; company provides everything needed to do the job
Cons
Long hours, no days off
Good place to work if you live in Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Bloomington
Non-Claims Employee (Former Employee) –  LouisianaNovember 21, 2016
Was a great place to work until they decided to start moving employees only to Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix. They let loyal, excellent, hard working employees go but kept below average employees due to location. Customer Service went down over 15% since the new CEO took over. By the time they realize how bad it is it will be too late to recover. Just a shame!!!! Turnover rate in these locations are so high they spend more money trying to hire employee and keeping them, then they would have to just let excellent employees work from home.
Benefits
Cons
you have to work in Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta, Bloomington
The check is nice the environment is interesting
Initial Loss Reporting (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJanuary 17, 2017
Their customers are ignorant to the the claims procedure and new initiatives it enacts through their employees. The procedures change every few weeks while they bring in hiring waves of hundreds of people to enact similar procedures every couple of months. They want to make the claims process quick and easy for the customer however you have to say and read a certain script based off of whether or not the customer has time or not. Also you have little to no say-so over what shift you get, and whatever you do. DON'T BE LATE!!!. Not a good job if you have transportation issues or if you're a single parent with not a lot of help at home.
Pros
compensation, benefits
Cons
adherence schedule, long work hours
Great place for the family oriented
Consulting Project Research Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 11, 2017
The most ethical company I've ever worked with. The culture is informally called, "State Farm Nice," at Corporate. The perfect company for people who want to focus on their families, because taking vacations is mandatory, and the ebb and flow of work correlates with the school year.

The pay is relatively low, but the benefits and pension are great.
Pros
Perfect for work/life balance for people with kids. Great Benefits.
Cons
Large and heavily regulated / Bureaucratic
Best of the Best
Licensed Insurance Producer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 29, 2016
Expectations at State Farm are the highest you will find across the Insurance Industry. A typical 8 hour day felt like 4 as it is very fast paced. Corporate Field Offices regularly check in to support and incentives to Agents and their producers. There is a clear path to Agency if you have commitment and desire. The Agent I produced for was fair with a salary and obtainable bonus structure. Achieving top tear bonuses was difficult because we were expected to always prioritize claims and service first.
Pros
Competitive salary and flexible schedule
Cons
I operate best when I'm the boss
Closing field offices for more remote locations, long drives to work for most
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 29, 2016
After my long drive that should take about 45 minutes, usually closer to an hour or over because of traffic jams, big trucks and bad drivers and lots of stress, I get to work and soon will have to clock in. Can be written up if absent or late on occasions. So I must leave my house at least and hour and half before scheduled time because of traffic and 29 mile drive one way.
Lots of changes going on, while trying to stay competitive with other companies. People are constantly leaving, which leave heavier workloads for those who stay.
Lots of meetings and huddles and side by sides, information is on overload, phones can be monitored.
Very stressful job and numbers driven. There is a report for everything.
Some of the benefits are tuition reimbursement if degree is relevant to job. They still have a pension plan and other benefits.
Pros
Paycheck, benefits
Cons
long drives, heavy workload
Not a bad company
Part-Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 22, 2016
We were promised full time hours after a certain period of time and it never happened. That was the only downfall.
The seating was awesome. everyone had aerodynamic chairs and the desk could be raised if you wanted to stand, instead of sitting.
Lots of free snacks in the lounge area and ample new refrigerators and microwaves to bring your lunch. Most Fridays the company provided different themed lunches and desserts.
Not much assistance on the floor after we left a week of training. Permanent staff did not really want to help.
Pros
a complet floor for employees to relax with a track that you can walk a mile, shower, free snacks
Cons
short breaks, micro management
Think Twice
Former Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GANovember 14, 2016
Too much work with not enough pay. They will work you like a slave and if you ever have a manager by the name of David Newlin you better run. He is a micro manager who is all about numbers. He will use numbers to turn the team against one another and is not considerate of his employees feelings of personal issues. He made my short time at State Farm very stressful. He does not have a very good reputation around State Farm and everyone who works under him wants to get off of his team because he will harass you daily with emails, constant meetings, and side by sides. The company could be great but they need to get rid of people like David and people would feel valued.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Too much work with not enough training, stressful, micro managed, no clear direction
Productive Fun Workplace with excellent benefits
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 16, 2017
State Farm was a wonderful place to work. A typical day at work consisted of gaining new customer and assisting current customers. I learned to field of insurance and the benefits of it. The management was not very friendly and very unprofessional. My co-workers were amazing. The hardest part of my job was interacting with management, and the most enjoyable part was actually executing my job and meeting new people.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very warm and friendly atmosphere
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Studio City, CADecember 28, 2016
.Handling incoming/outgoing calls from customer, processing requests and complex billing questions.
. Everyday is a new day to learn something new and advance the existing skills and experience
. Management is always very nice and helpful
. Co-workers are very professional and interact with each other with respect, dignity and integrity
. Fast- paced environment, need to be able to use time wisely and prioritize daily activities
. Customer satisfaction
Pros
Flexible schedule
I wouldn't let My ROBOT work here
Claims ILR (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work is answering call from people all over and getting micro manage by a knocked kneed supervisor who been a supervisor for a year and does not know what she is doing. All the favoritism is noticeable. Supervisor and their friends just meets at each other cubical all day and gossip. The hardest part of the job is meeting you numbers and being compared to the segment and site and everyone else. They fire you as quick as they hire you. Constantly reading word tracks and if you miss one word its a call fail.This job is setting people up for failure.Too many changes.IF you thinking about making this a career good luck! State farm expect you to be off the phone with the people and for us to hurry up and file a claim fast.In a timely manner.15 minutes. Not possible majority of the time. Co workers cool for the most part. High Turnover rate! But i did learn to be patience and let customers vent,
Benefits
Cons
micro management, short breaks
Great workplace for someone who likes fast paced work
Customer service/ reception staff (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 21, 2016
Typical day at the office could either mean your going to be really busy, phone ringing off the hook. Or really slow, most of my work as a receptionist involved answering the phone for any questions a customer would have or the importance of making a change to a insurance policy. Our customers really depend on us because insurance is very important to have. I had a variety of personalities that I worked well with in the office, I learned so much every day whether it was from doing something on my own, asking a claims associate a question I wasn't familiar with, or even asking a co- worker.
Pros
great benefits, good to have knowledge
Cons
sometimes having to interact with upset customers
"Great" Company that turned out to be a nightmare
ILR Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GADecember 19, 2016
During training it seemed like a great company, but they care NOTHING about employees. They only care about NUMBERS! Everything was learned in training was totally different that what we actually had to deal with on the phones. Calls were not that bad, but with constant change keeping up with the procedures were difficult at times. Sometimes you wouldn't even be notified about the changes. Calls were score by random people, some weren't even at the same call center as us and it was basically graded by personal judgement. One person evaluating the calls may give you a 100 but another may give you a 50 because they FELT like something was wrong. There was nothing you could do about it. The manager could send it in for reconsideration but that rarely ever happened. They are just there to tell you what your numbers are and let you go if you don't make them MOST (not all) of them were NO help.. Advancements/Promotions (in my opinion and experience) were very personal. To me, there wasn't a fair shot for everyone to move ahead. The only good thing about working there was the pay and benefits lol.. Leaving that company was the best decision I could've made.
Management makes the job unbearable
held multiple positions (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILSeptember 14, 2016
State Farm is a great company to work for however the management leaves much to be desired. You will often be made felt as less of a person, as I have had 8 supervisors and all have talked down to me, disrespected me, micromanaged me, 2 of them even went so far as making them tell them when I had to use the bathroom. Advancement is near impossible as they place more emphasis on bring immigrants over and giving them the best jobs. Three of the departments I worked for were eliminated and outsourced. Job security is not great with State Farm anymore.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management, Advancement
Energetic Work Culture
Process Design Analyst, Fire Claims (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 24, 2016
Every day what you do you know you will have an impact on peoples lives. The work you do whether it is customer facing or not can have a positive impact and make a difference. Most positions are well paid and the benefits are extremely competitive. There is opportunity to move within the company depending on your work produced.
Pros
Benefits, Work Life/Balance
Cons
Sometimes limited movement based on company needs.
This is a repetitive, highly micromanaged job!
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Take this job if you must, but keep looking! It is desperately repetitive and you will be highly micromanaged. You will say the same thing over and over and over, call after call after call.

So many people left that they spread the associates so thin that you will work long ten hour shifts usually-not over time, but you will work a weekend day , every single week. Your off days are usually opposite of your family and friends. They often with no notice black out the schedule so that no time off is available.

You can be quickly written up for any small schedule infraction. Even a few minutes on long elevator rides, unexpected delays.

Some managers are nicer than others of course, but a so called promotion means possibly a new task with a slight increase in pay. Don't expect to make manager, those are coveted roles, aggressively bargained for and will take years to earn. It's a tightly closed door.

***Good luck in your search and ALWAYS read reviews about the role or company culture BEFORE you wound up miserable, disrespected-even monitored like a school kid!! You'll be an overly monitored school kid in this role for sure!
Pros
Benefits, 401k
Cons
Unbelievable micromanaged, boring, repetitive calls with many tasks
Good company with good values
Customer Care Center - Sales (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILDecember 8, 2016
Company who takes their customers seriously. They know the value of their customers and a lot of the work and training revolve around their clients needs and wants within reason. They take the time to appropriately train staff and provide everything needed so that their employees can do their jobs well. Depending on which department you work in depends on the hours you can work. Sometimes the call centers require late hours that some may not find conducive to their family needs.
Pros
Training, benefits, healthcare options, bonuses
Cons
Sometimes work hours
State Farm is no longer a good company to work for
Claims Adjuster III- complex injury (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 20, 2016
Since the new CEO took over, there have been drastically numerous changes. We are given heavy workload forcing us to work overtime approximately 60hrs/week. The working hours are 10:30-7:00 which is very inconvenient if you have kids. There is no work & life balance. They also cut down our benefits and pay. There is no capacity when we request for vacation.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Odd working hours, heavy workload, lower benefits & pay, no capacity for vacation
Claims handling in a micro-managed environment
Claim Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYJanuary 17, 2017
This was an excellent place to work up until about six years ago. I loved my job and the people with whom I spend my work days. Unfortunately, the once family and employee oriented company became all about numbers and micromanagement.

I thought I would work up to my retirement with this company; however, this will not be the case.
Pros
Health, Dental, 401K & pension
Cons
Accuracy does not matter - only how fast you can get through the work.

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Reviews by Location