State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 3,912 reviews matching the search
Nice office with 9 employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAMarch 13, 2017
Start the day off by knocking on doors to offer prospects a free homeowners insurance quote. I was able to learn what State Farms best products were, so I was able to determine what business' I should research and go offer them a free quote face to face. The management is very good, if I have a question I am able to ask anyone in the office and they would all be happy to help. The culture is fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Hardest part of the job is going into over 40 business' a day and having owners tell me no. But the way I look at it that's just one step closer to hearing a yes. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help my clients in anyway I can. I also sleep well at night knowing that the policies I write have the proper amount coverage with an affordable price.
Pros
Nice monthly lunch meetings.
Cons
No benefits at all. No 401k, no bonuses, no health insurance.
Good Company but Focus Shifting
Senior IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMarch 1, 2017
I worked at State Farm for nearly 27 years and recently retired. From the start it was a demanding job but there was a sense of family and the company valued its people and worked to help them grow and mature in their career.

It is still a good place to work but the focus on people has shifted considerably over the past 10 years. There is less genuine value placed on employees and it has increasingly become another company where people are simply seen as widgets that are interchangeable.

Management does not leverage the knowledge and ideas of the people under them to seek answers to the challenges faced and instead it is a very top down type of approach to management.

All this said, it is still a good place to work and I would continue to encourage someone to work at SF. But I am increasingly concerned with the disconnect between leadership and the "boots on the ground" business realities.
Pros
Diverse job opportunities, good benefits, solid company
Cons
People are not truly valued and top down management is ineffective
Great people
ILR Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 22, 2017
Overall, a nice company to work at. The people and environment are quite relaxed and helpful despite the systematic micromanagement in terms of scheduling and metrics. The training is quite long and helps to build that sense of camaraderie.

The hardest part of the job is immediately falling into the metrics required by the company, as they're built on the optimal cases. While comprehensive on the details, training doesn't do enough to prepare for that aspect of performing the job so it takes some time and experience to get there.

The benefits are pretty good, with the only exception being the strangely unforgiving emergency/sick day ruleset.
Pros
People, Environment, Training
Cons
Micromanagement, Unforgiving Emergency/Sick Day Ruleset
Productive and fun workplace
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 15, 2017
A typical day consisted of multitasking through handling multiple accounts and clients. Making outgoing sales calls every day. The workplace culture was good, and the management was good but empowered you to take care of things yourself. The hardest part of the job was making the cold calls and producing business while having to deal with a multitude of issues arising during the day. It was hard yet achievable to get the work done on a daily basis. The best part of the job was interacting with the people i work with.
Pros
excellent work environment and co-workers
Cons
benefits and commission structure
The check is nice the environment is interesting
Initial Loss Reporting (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJanuary 17, 2017
Their customers are ignorant to the the claims procedure and new initiatives it enacts through their employees. The procedures change every few weeks while they bring in hiring waves of hundreds of people to enact similar procedures every couple of months. They want to make the claims process quick and easy for the customer however you have to say and read a certain script based off of whether or not the customer has time or not. Also you have little to no say-so over what shift you get, and whatever you do. DON'T BE LATE!!!. Not a good job if you have transportation issues or if you're a single parent with not a lot of help at home.
Pros
compensation, benefits
Cons
adherence schedule, long work hours
Point system total failure
CLAIMS ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAFebruary 24, 2017
Company provides developmental courses for certification but it's very strict on attendance. You get penalized for the smallest infraction even though it could be an act of God or a car accident. Very stressful environment. You can be a great employee but the minute your points accumulate to a certain amount you're shown the unemployment line without notice. Compensation is the lowest amongst the insurance industry nationwide. Advancement is few, far and in between. You may qualify to move up but if you have points or a manager has a negative opinion then you're stuck with no timeline of eligibility. Work life balance is non-existent. Employees with kids are backed into a corner because of circumstances which can create more points. You may or may not see your kids especially if you're a single parent forget it. Child care issues with time constraints is your problem not the company's. It's either you work it out or get the boot. Calling out especially if you're sick must be made 24 hours in advance. Overall does have developmental opportunities but with everything else your whole life is basically state farm.
Cons
Point system, attendance policy very strict
Professional work environment
Propert Claims adjuster (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 3, 2016
We were available to take client homeowner claims calls from allover the USA, to call out for quality first contact and verify the facts of loss, then move the claim forward in the best way. Every assignment presented learning opportunities. Management and co-workers are supportive and capable. The hardest part was denying coverage when it did not apply; The best part was helping people to understand and claim all of their available benefits.
Pros
Great training; company provides everything needed to do the job
Cons
Long hours, no days off
Decent compensation with good hours
Estimatics Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 13, 2017
State Farm offers a lot of mobility options, decent compensation and benefits, and a stable if unchallenging work environment. Corporate mentality has definitely taken over the formerly more family-feeling atmosphere, but if you need a place to start out, it's good for that. If you can rise quickly in the ranks and are willing to relocate, the benefits are quite nice and the long-term projections are much better.
Pros
Stability, decent benefits, good hours
Cons
High turnover, lower than average pay, poor management
Great place for the family oriented
Consulting Project Research Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 11, 2017
The most ethical company I've ever worked with. The culture is informally called, "State Farm Nice," at Corporate. The perfect company for people who want to focus on their families, because taking vacations is mandatory, and the ebb and flow of work correlates with the school year.

The pay is relatively low, but the benefits and pension are great.
Pros
Perfect for work/life balance for people with kids. Great Benefits.
Cons
Large and heavily regulated / Bureaucratic
Best of the Best
Licensed Insurance Producer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 29, 2016
Expectations at State Farm are the highest you will find across the Insurance Industry. A typical 8 hour day felt like 4 as it is very fast paced. Corporate Field Offices regularly check in to support and incentives to Agents and their producers. There is a clear path to Agency if you have commitment and desire. The Agent I produced for was fair with a salary and obtainable bonus structure. Achieving top tear bonuses was difficult because we were expected to always prioritize claims and service first.
Pros
Competitive salary and flexible schedule
Cons
I operate best when I'm the boss
Good place to work if you live in Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Bloomington
Non-Claims Employee (Former Employee) –  LouisianaNovember 21, 2016
Was a great place to work until they decided to start moving employees only to Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix. They let loyal, excellent, hard working employees go but kept below average employees due to location. Customer Service went down over 15% since the new CEO took over. By the time they realize how bad it is it will be too late to recover. Just a shame!!!! Turnover rate in these locations are so high they spend more money trying to hire employee and keeping them, then they would have to just let excellent employees work from home.
Benefits
Cons
you have to work in Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta, Bloomington
Dependable, Great Work-Life balance
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMarch 7, 2017
State farm is a fantastic place to work. I would be happy doing anything here just for the benefits, dependability, and empowerment to manage my own day. Management is supportive and as involved as you may want them to be, but never overbearing. The enterprise is constantly looking for ways to improve, and that includes employee satisfaction and well-being.
Pros
Work/Life balance, Benefits, Flexibility
Productive Fun Workplace with excellent benefits
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 16, 2017
State Farm was a wonderful place to work. A typical day at work consisted of gaining new customer and assisting current customers. I learned to field of insurance and the benefits of it. The management was not very friendly and very unprofessional. My co-workers were amazing. The hardest part of my job was interacting with management, and the most enjoyable part was actually executing my job and meeting new people.
Pros
Great benefits
Who Are You
ilr claims associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 24, 2017
If you that kind of person who want to sit on your butt all day and listening to call and put the same information in the computer and say the same thing all day long then you are good to go in this job. I had never ever work in a call center and never want to do this again. Over all state farm is pretty good company but can be stressfully and exhausting working 10 hours shift, put it this way it take a certain type of person to do this type of work doing the same thing continually.
Pros
Like most jobs benefits is good
Cons
It is a call center the title is ILR Associate sound nice ha!
Think Twice
Former Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GANovember 14, 2016
Too much work with not enough pay. They will work you like a slave and if you ever have a manager by the name of David Newlin you better run. He is a micro manager who is all about numbers. He will use numbers to turn the team against one another and is not considerate of his employees feelings of personal issues. He made my short time at State Farm very stressful. He does not have a very good reputation around State Farm and everyone who works under him wants to get off of his team because he will harass you daily with emails, constant meetings, and side by sides. The company could be great but they need to get rid of people like David and people would feel valued.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Too much work with not enough training, stressful, micro managed, no clear direction
Very warm and friendly atmosphere
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Studio City, CADecember 28, 2016
.Handling incoming/outgoing calls from customer, processing requests and complex billing questions.
. Everyday is a new day to learn something new and advance the existing skills and experience
. Management is always very nice and helpful
. Co-workers are very professional and interact with each other with respect, dignity and integrity
. Fast- paced environment, need to be able to use time wisely and prioritize daily activities
. Customer satisfaction
Pros
Flexible schedule
Benefits
Closing field offices for more remote locations, long drives to work for most
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 29, 2016
After my long drive that should take about 45 minutes, usually closer to an hour or over because of traffic jams, big trucks and bad drivers and lots of stress, I get to work and soon will have to clock in. Can be written up if absent or late on occasions. So I must leave my house at least and hour and half before scheduled time because of traffic and 29 mile drive one way.
Lots of changes going on, while trying to stay competitive with other companies. People are constantly leaving, which leave heavier workloads for those who stay.
Lots of meetings and huddles and side by sides, information is on overload, phones can be monitored.
Very stressful job and numbers driven. There is a report for everything.
Some of the benefits are tuition reimbursement if degree is relevant to job. They still have a pension plan and other benefits.
Pros
Paycheck, benefits
Cons
long drives, heavy workload
This is a repetitive, highly micromanaged job!
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Take this job if you must, but keep looking! It is desperately repetitive and you will be highly micromanaged. You will say the same thing over and over and over, call after call after call.

So many people left that they spread the associates so thin that you will work long ten hour shifts usually-not over time, but you will work a weekend day , every single week. Your off days are usually opposite of your family and friends. They often with no notice black out the schedule so that no time off is available.

You can be quickly written up for any small schedule infraction. Even a few minutes on long elevator rides, unexpected delays.

Some managers are nicer than others of course, but a so called promotion means possibly a new task with a slight increase in pay. Don't expect to make manager, those are coveted roles, aggressively bargained for and will take years to earn. It's a tightly closed door.

***Good luck in your search and ALWAYS read reviews about the role or company culture BEFORE you wound up miserable, disrespected-even monitored like a school kid!! You'll be an overly monitored school kid in this role for sure!
Pros
Benefits, 401k
Cons
Unbelievable micromanaged, boring, repetitive calls with many tasks
Lost it's approach to family orientation and values
Auto Trainer / Appraiser / Structural Estimator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2017
State Farm used to be a family based business where all associates were treated like individual family members.

Unfortunately thru each company reorganization that occurred over a twenty year period, company employees have been turned into a number without regard to individualism and no regard to any type of family values or bond.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No true management leadership
Claims handling in a micro-managed environment
Claim Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYJanuary 17, 2017
This was an excellent place to work up until about six years ago. I loved my job and the people with whom I spend my work days. Unfortunately, the once family and employee oriented company became all about numbers and micromanagement.

I thought I would work up to my retirement with this company; however, this will not be the case.
Pros
Health, Dental, 401K & pension
Cons
Accuracy does not matter - only how fast you can get through the work.

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Reviews by Location