State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 3,405 reviews matching the search
Not what it used to be
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 7, 2016
Tenure with this company is no longer the focus, it's how much you can get done without really doing anything to move a claim forward. There is a scheduler that sits in an off site location watching how long you are in wrap state of call and then an email comes reminding you to get back into the phones.

Vacation time is hard to get. If a day is blacked out management has the authority to grant it, but they never do. The company has been turned into a call center, do more with less, and pass the buck on to the next person.
State Farm is no longer the same place it used to be
Claims (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 28, 2016
After many years with State Farm, the changes in customer service, how the employees are treated, and managements lack of support is awful. The customer is not treated as they should. Employees are micro-managed. Your work is never good enough. Mandatory OT most of the time. Unable to use vacation time as the dates are blacked out with no capacity to use your time. Management is not there to support you and cannot be trusted.
Its a shame that State Farm has turned into a call center in which number of phone calls is more important than taking the time to give the customer the best customer service.
Pros
nice new building
Cons
unappreciated, no work/life balance, overtime is never ending
Good place to work if you live in Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Bloomington
Non-Claims Employee (Former Employee) –  LouisianaNovember 21, 2016
Was a great place to work until they decided to start moving employees only to Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix. They let loyal, excellent, hard working employees go but kept below average employees due to location. Customer Service went down over 15% since the new CEO took over. By the time they realize how bad it is it will be too late to recover. Just a shame!!!! Turnover rate in these locations are so high they spend more money trying to hire employee and keeping them, then they would have to just let excellent employees work from home.
Benefits
Cons
you have to work in Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta, Bloomington
State Farm is a good company
Auto Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, GANovember 2, 2016
I assist our policyholders and our claimants by providing quality customer service.

I have learned to listen to the customer intently.

Overall, the Team Managers care about the Claim Representatives.

My co-workers are kind, caring and considerate.

Balancing the work/life is difficult with the late shifts and working on the weekend.

Helping the customers in their time of need is most enjoyable
Pros
Job security
Cons
Late shifts and working on the weekends
Once and incredible company but they lost the Good Neighbor
Auto Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 15, 2016
Almost 20 years with the company. So caring for customers and employees. Regretfully things changed. More claims that can be possibly be handed, mirco micro management. With the consolidation went from 120 claims to 260. All it did was hurt those we were trying to help. Hour long hold times. Not able to get back with customers and attorneys. Not the Good Neighbor State Farm once was.
Pros
You get to pick a gift at Christmas.
Cons
No consideration for employees dealing with elderly parents.
Always a great place to work...
Various Temporary Assignments (Current Employee) –  Various Maine locationsNovember 17, 2016
Working for a State Farm Agent is a different experience based upon the office and owner as all locations are independently owned. What all locations have in common, aside from products that are offered, is that the primary focus is on meeting the varying needs of the clients that are served. The ability to gain product knowledge and sales skills is backed by an abundance of resources that are easy to access and comprehend.
Whether resolving a payment issue, meeting a life insurance need or assisting a client through a claim process, the most rewarding part of working in a State Farm Agency is helping people.
Casual environment with fun people to work with.
Office Manager/Sales and Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 23, 2016
Working for State Farm was an experience that taught me how important customer service skills are. The casual work environment made it easy to come to work everyday. Upper management was wonderful, and was understanding about time off. The hardest part of the job was when we had customers that weren't understanding of their billing or rate increases. Overall, the job was enjoyable.
Pros
closed during lunch, understanding boss
Professional work environment
Propert Claims adjuster (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 3, 2016
We were available to take client homeowner claims calls from allover the USA, to call out for quality first contact and verify the facts of loss, then move the claim forward in the best way. Every assignment presented learning opportunities. Management and co-workers are supportive and capable. The hardest part was denying coverage when it did not apply; The best part was helping people to understand and claim all of their available benefits.
Pros
Great training; company provides everything needed to do the job
Cons
Long hours, no days off
Ilr
Underwriter Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 30, 2016
The job is easy you take calls and take claims all day. There is a tool that you use reading word tracks and filling out the question in the tool. its only hard when you get a deceased driver or angry customer. if that happens you can always escalate the call. very redundant work all day but its really easy. I was promoted in 6 months after training and its easy to request time off. Overtime is available but not always.
Pros
good benefits, easy to get time off, easy job
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TN 37130November 16, 2016
Good place to work for a younger person or someone not interested in underwriting. State Farm is going through some changes and most of their jobs are moving out of state. No advancement opportunities in underwriting. Most of the management are good people and the co-workers are very helpful, nice people. I enjoy working with all of my co-workers.
Pros
great benefits and paid time off
Cons
hard to get days off, pay is not competetive
Had a kitchen to buy food, had an escalator and elavator to take you to your assign desk.
External Claim Task Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2016
typical day at work is very busy, come in get to work.

I learn a lot of dealing with customer and their loss. Learn to communicate with customer and upset customers.

Management was awesome and very helpful.

co-worker was awesome, got alone well and teamwork to get the job done.

hard part of the job was picking out fraudulent claim, never know when a customer might call to file a fraudulent claim.

most enjoyable part of the job, learning new thing about claims and meeting awesome people.
Pros
1hr. lunch and 3 15min break.
Cons
long hour and 6days work weeks.
Productive and efficient office
Virtual Auto Claims Specialist-Bodily Injury (Former Employee) –  Concordville, PADecember 2, 2016
Typical work day as a field claims adjuster would to confirm your field appointments scheduled the previous day with policyholders. Inspect, estimate and settle claims with policyholders onsite if possible. Review outstanding estimates that need to be revised and settled with insured, public adjusters or co-workers. Management was very proactive in the development of the employee. Co-workers were excellent. Hardest part of the job was just traffic. The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing the faces of policyholders when you able to ensure the policyholders that you are there to help and return them back to normal from a loss.
Pros
Flexible hours and days
Cons
No cons
Energetic Work Culture
Process Design Analyst, Fire Claims (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 24, 2016
Every day what you do you know you will have an impact on peoples lives. The work you do whether it is customer facing or not can have a positive impact and make a difference. Most positions are well paid and the benefits are extremely competitive. There is opportunity to move within the company depending on your work produced.
Pros
Benefits, Work Life/Balance
Cons
Sometimes limited movement based on company needs.
State Farm is no longer a good company to work for
Claims Adjuster III- complex injury (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 20, 2016
Since the new CEO took over, there have been drastically numerous changes. We are given heavy workload forcing us to work overtime approximately 60hrs/week. The working hours are 10:30-7:00 which is very inconvenient if you have kids. There is no work & life balance. They also cut down our benefits and pay. There is no capacity when we request for vacation.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Odd working hours, heavy workload, lower benefits & pay, no capacity for vacation
We are borg, resistance is futile.
Initial Loss Reporting Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 19, 2016
Great place to work if you have no experience or self respect since you will be treated like a piece of equipment that needs to be run full speed until it burns out or blows up. They really just want you to be a computer program with a human voice to fool their policy holders that they are speaking to a real person. I have been in this business over 20 years and this place gave me the creeps. I suppose it would be alright for someone that has nothing to compare it to. If you have been around awhile let the kids take this lesson and keep looking for a company run by human beings.
Pros
nice new buildings
Cons
this business model still works in the developing world.
5 Stars
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2016
As producer, maintain a familiar knowledge in a wide range of the Insurance industry’s practices, concepts, and procedures. As marketing specialists, rely on community data in strategic planning efforts to reach sales goals. Responsibilities include: design, collaborate, and deliver marketing programs and initiatives to support expansion and growth of agency services and products. Consistently met and exceeded sales goals of 40 to 80 new business liaisons monthly.
Great workplace for someone who likes fast paced work
Customer service/ reception staff (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 21, 2016
Typical day at the office could either mean your going to be really busy, phone ringing off the hook. Or really slow, most of my work as a receptionist involved answering the phone for any questions a customer would have or the importance of making a change to a insurance policy. Our customers really depend on us because insurance is very important to have. I had a variety of personalities that I worked well with in the office, I learned so much every day whether it was from doing something on my own, asking a claims associate a question I wasn't familiar with, or even asking a co- worker.
Pros
great benefits, good to have knowledge
Cons
sometimes having to interact with upset customers
Typical Grind
SENIOR SALES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 19, 2016
Work days can be slow or hectic, there is no in-between. Its a complete balancing act with being fast paced, correct, and legal in everything you do. If you mess up usually its not on something small.

The best part of the job is everyone goes through the same problems. They understand great days are great, and just how bad your bad days can be. The hardest part is pacing yourself.
Pros
eligable for discounts with other companies
Cons
don't mess up
Great people, Great managers, low benefits and pay
Multi-Line Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 11, 2016
I worked for a few State Farm Agents. Since they are franchisees the culture differs slightly with each agent. I had great agents but heard stories of some not so good ones. There is a sense of everyone in the office needing to work together for the good of the agency. I learned a lot about how insurance works in the real world. The hardest part was keeping up enthusiasm on sales after a time with no sales. They often came as feast or famine.
Little to no work life balance
Sales Account Representative (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 11, 2016
A very small base salary was offered to me, but there was a promise of incredibly high income potential. Basically , it was a 'pie in the sky scenario' that was sold to myself and other in the newly opened State Farm Office. None of the revenue pictures they painted for us ever came to fruition. Terrible work/ life balance, no health insurance benefits, not even discounts on State Farm products for employees. Poor room for advancement from position as well.

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Reviews by Location