State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

2.8K reviews

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 2,784 reviews matching the search
Productive, High Energy, Leading Office
Multi-line Insurance Sales / Policy Service (Current Employee) –  Leeds, AL 35094February 7, 2016
State Farm is a great overall company to work for with great one on one customer interaction. My daily job duties were to call on the customers that had late premium payment, upcoming cancellations, cross selling insurance and banking products. I also handled all underwriting required information needed by calling the policy holder. I work with a great team of co-workers that are willing to pitch in when needed.. I love my customers and the relationships I have built with them and their families..
Great position with benefits, however...
Auto Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 7, 2016
Advancement opportunities are extremely limited, and the company strongly values having a degree over real-world applicable work experience. The workload is maintainable and easy to manage, however working in a team environment on insurance claims can provide it's challenges.
Pros
Fair compensation, good benefits
Cons
Sub-par advancement opportunities, company values degree over experience
Family run business
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIFebruary 7, 2016
Great family to work for; Very knowledgeable place to work. Good training and continued training. Really enjoyed working here and helping people with their insurance needs.
Awesome
Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  TEXASFebruary 6, 2016
Great experience
Awesome work/ home life balance
Fair compensation
Lots of growing potential
Great hours
Inside sales
No. 1 Company to work for
It was good
Marketing Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arnold, MOFebruary 6, 2016
It was a good company great with home and life balance. Just ready to move. It has great potential to move up if your in the right office. Make sure you and your agent have the same goals.
State Farm
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 6, 2016
State Farm is a very good company. They offer great benefits and provide a good working environment. A typical day at work is very busy with phone calls, arranging schedules, processing expenses. My co-workers were consistently team players that would provide excellent back-up. The hardest part of the job was working with another group in State Farm that would not keep you updated on the status of each meeting. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the executives and my co-workers.
Pros
2 - 15 minute breaks and paid sick time.
Cons
Salaries were not great.
did not like working for this company.
L&D Agency Assistant/Agency Programs (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 5, 2016
I stayed with this company because I was a single mother and I needed the job for benefits. The benefits here were amazing. That's about all it has going for it. The pay there sucks unless you graduate from college, then it is good...
Smart and Educated? Great! Can You Sell Life Insurance? No? You're OUT!
Service and Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 5, 2016
I worked in an Agents Office as a Salesman servicing accounts and tackling incoming leads. I performed this task well for over two years.

I learned that there is limited room for growth with State Farm unless you, A) want your own State Farm office, or B) move elsewhere in the country doing other things.

The climate of State Farm has changed over the years. Now it is very easy for the average customer to price-compare companies and switch between them. State Farm has repositioned itself to selling Banking Products/Life Insurance Products > Being Competitive with the more common lines of business.

This is where I was shown the door. No amount of excellent service or devotion to your policyholders will keep you in THIS position long unless you plan on selling life insurance products. There's the cold-hard truth Indeed.com...soak it in.

All-in-all, decent experience. I like State Farm and believe that they have a great product. I plan to keep my personal insurance with State Farm as well despite being let go.
Pros
Daily Challenge, Learn Marketable Skills (Sales/Office)
Cons
Do you like selling life insurance? Neither do I
Not a fun workplace
Property and Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 4, 2016
Liability claims was very challenging. Management was very abusive and not constructive. Co-workers were highly stressed. The stress of the job and dealing with insensitive management was the most difficult part of the job. I enjoyed the interaction with our company attorneys.
Pros
the end of the day
Cons
liability claims
Productive work place
Pilot Catastrophe Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXFebruary 3, 2016
This isa great place to work for. I have learned how to read people very well in this industry. The hardest part of the job is dealing with constant change all the time. Nothing is ever consistent. I love helping Policy holders in their time of need. This part is very rewarding to me.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Going out of town
Good Company
Agent (Current Employee) –  Washington, GAFebruary 3, 2016
Good place to work. I am the boss so I set the hours, vacation days, etc... Laid-back environment in a rural town. Family atmosphere, small office, and we take our customer's needs personally.
productive and fun workplace
Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILFebruary 3, 2016
State Farm is a group of insurance and financial services companies in the United States.The main business is State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, a mutual insurance firm that also owns the other State Farm companies. The corporate headquarters are in Bloomington, Illinois.
UI Developer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILFebruary 3, 2016
Good place to work and learn lot of stuff. Environment and ethics are quite effective, playing a vital role in shaping up an employee
Good Work Environment; Work /Life Balance needs work
CCC Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 2, 2016
The environment is a positive one with the support to advance in the company. Supervisors are very helpful to make you aware of upcoming events and the places you need to work on. The Work/Life balance is a little strict. If you are a part time employee you do not have sick hours, you only get nine non-pay days for three months before paperwork is filed on recurring behavior. If anyone is like me sometimes I get sick at a week at a time, eating that up not to mention preexisting medical conditions. If PTO time is not available, you cannot have time off, even in emergency situations.

Typical day at work is just coming in with a 30 minute development time and then you take calls from customers the rest of your shift. That 30 minute development includes a ten minute huddle with the department, checking your emails, doing any required training, updating your profile for job postings, anything that is work related that does not involve the customers. Disadvantage is you are constantly tethered to the phones unless your supervisor schedules you off the phone for a one on one meeting or side by side to listen to calls. Call monitoring is a big part of the job, scores are administered 3 times a month for part time and 5 times for full time. The most enjoyable part of my job is my coworkers.
Family Friend Place to Work
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day was finding new clients and trying to get them to switch over to State Farm Insurance. The office I worked in was a family office and welcomed me into the family. One of the hardest parts of the job was letting some know that State Farm would not insure them. An enjoyable part was that it was a small office and was a family friendly place.
great job
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ranson, WVFebruary 1, 2016
Nice place to work and get started on a career path. Job duties are straightforward and a nice place to work and start a career
Inside Sales Representative and Banking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 29, 2016
This was a great work environment and I learned a ton from management. My boss was very helpful and I learned a ton from her.
Great learning experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 29, 2016
Enjoyable part of the job was helping the customer get the desired coverages. Fast paced, cooperative co-workers, management took great efforts to be there for each producer in the learning process.
Small Office
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Banos, CAJanuary 28, 2016
This was a second job for me. I used work evenings. I hated doing cold calls and that's mostly what they had me doing. I worked there for about 9 months then my hours where cut and I had to leave. I loved the office part of the job but I not much into marketing.
Pros
Great Company
It's a job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 28, 2016
Let me start by saying I have worked in two agencies as a sales rep. This is in no way a review of the company in itself.

If you want a job with benefits, go for the corporate offices or call centers. Their compensation and benefit plans are good.

As an agency sales rep here's my thoughts. It's a low paid thankless job and no matter what you do, whether you put your heart into it or not, it's not enough. You have to go through all this licensing and education to make less than a factory job pays. You get no benefits. When sales are down you get the once over about how hours are getting cut or you're going to be fired. The agents are off gallivanting around all day while the employees are at the office busting tail, but they'll show up to rip your head off if goals are not met. I work in a small town and the goals are unrealiatic. Not once has anyone met said goal from what I have been told.

Not all agents are like this and everyone is different so take it as a grain of salt. Just be aware that if you want any perks, work for the actual company not an agent.
Pros
Corporate pays well
Cons
Agency jobs suck