State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 3,543 reviews matching the search
Exceptional work place
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJanuary 8, 2017
State Farm is an excellent place to work. My co-workers work well as a team and our management encourages advancement and other incentives. Overall State Farm is a great company.
Training -a good place to find out if you fit their business model
ILR Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 19, 2016
I only did three weeks of training for claims associate when I realized the job was not for me. The micro managed environment would have been brutal for me since my background is counseling & teaching. The training instructors motivate you to believe you can work in the call center environment even if you never have. After doing a side by side training and talking with a few ILR associates on staff, they expressed exactly what I perceived.Theres stress about numbers, concern about managers attitudes if you aren't making the numbers. This affects your ability and opportunity to move to a better position. In my view this breeds an unhealthy work life balance. Although you will be "remarkable" to customers the relationships with peers & staff can go awry. Backstabbing & gossip live in this environment.
Pros
The nice people I met in the training
Cons
Businesses structure not really set up to be "remarkable" for staff, . The bottom line is most important, High turnover position so management style is set with that in mind.
Professional-great training
Office manager/producer/agent-Marketing (Former Employee) –  Bryant, ARNovember 3, 2016
Busy provides job security. Great products offered, easy to market. Great training. Learn how to be an agent instead of sales rep. Not many benefits to agents' staff. Generally, good work environment.
Pros
great hours
Cons
no benfits
Front desk receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LADecember 28, 2016
A typical day at work was answering the phone all day long. In between this we helped clients with their insurance questions and got them the answers they needed. This management team was disorganized. I feel the ripple affect drifted all the way to the administrative employees. This was a family owned business. The hardest part of the job was being overlooked due to a family member wanting to be advanced. I got to meet a lot of different types. Most of all of them were nice. However, we did get a few cranky people whom we treated the same as the nice one's.
Pros
It was a M-F job which I preferred
Cons
The wages were low and money was hard to manage.
Close knit agency
Insurance Specialist Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 6, 2016
Great company to work for, love the agents and staff. Pay is not comparable to industry and no room for advancement unless you want to become an agent or move to Dupont.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Pay and benefits
Productive place to work.
Associate Claims Support (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 21, 2016
A typical day at work consist of sort thru large stacks of prints and getting them prepared for mailing. Prepare certified mailings and also attend daily team huddle meetings.
Pros
Good Benefits
Good Place to work
Claim Specialist- (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJune 28, 2016
Enjoyed my time at State Farm. Wish the corporate culture hadn't changed. Great benefits and room for advancement and growth
Benefits
Cons
It's great if you like insurance
Licensed in Property/Casualty and Life/Health (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSSeptember 15, 2016
I don't really get a sense of fulfillment at the end of the day. Same thing every day. You have a great opportunity for advancement, but if you have children, you can very easily get pulled into putting your job 1st. The more you dedicate yourself, the more money you can make, just like most other job I suppose. My theory is work smarter not harder, and in this field I think you can be very limited due to being limited by the intelligence and morals of clients. Every agency is different, so I guess this really wouldn't apply to ALL State Farm agencies, but would definitely apply to the majority of clients. Once again, every State Farm agency is different and has a different client base. Too many variables to give you a general review about State Farm.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Monotonous
Great place to grow and gain experience
Claims Initial Loss Reporting (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 19, 2016
I have been working at state farm for almost 7 months and can say that it is a great place to grow and gain experience for a variety of careers. They treat their employees really well and have great benefits. They provide a lot of breaks, company parking garages and have a full cafeteria. The PTO system is really nice giving you quite a bit of time off when you start. It is definitely a great starting point if you are trying to get into a corporate position because they offer tons of advancement through the company as long as you have good attendance.

Although there are many things that add unwanted stress such as the daily metrics and goals. It can be stressful because the company has so many different dimensions that you need to achieve in order to have good numbers. Depending on the section manager it can be a very warming or stressful environment. I had one section manager who was very open minded and as long as you were trying your hardest that was all that mattered. Now with the new section manager he's all about the numbers which can become stressful, especially if you have a bad day. Another bit of advice for the company would be to train the employees better. You spend over a month in training, but when it comes time to leave training you definitely wont feel prepared for the job. At that point it is all trial and error using the resources they provide to you.
Pros
Good benefits, pays really well.
Cons
CIR.
It's not the State Farm it once used to be
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 10, 2017
It's unfortunate that this company has lost plenty of workers who dedicated 15 years plus to their organization just to lose them to other companies due to heavy work loads and too many unnecessary changes.

Co-workers used to be more life family,now we barely find 5 minutes to communicate with each other.

The heavy stress is highly ignored by upper management who continues to say "good job, you guys are doing so well".
Pros
Flexibility in remote or proximity positions and Great pay
Cons
Upper mgmt does not care about you and too many procedural changes to even keep up with
Not what it used to be
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 7, 2016
Tenure with this company is no longer the focus, it's how much you can get done without really doing anything to move a claim forward. There is a scheduler that sits in an off site location watching how long you are in wrap state of call and then an email comes reminding you to get back into the phones.

Vacation time is hard to get. If a day is blacked out management has the authority to grant it, but they never do. The company has been turned into a call center, do more with less, and pass the buck on to the next person.
Claims
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 12, 2017
fast paced environment, multi tasking is a must
salary and benefits are competitive
no telecommuting allowed
shift work
team environment
Pros
team environment, pay
Cons
no flexibility, no telecommuting
Secure leader in Auto Insurance.
Claim Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 16, 2016
State Farm is a classy well rounded company. They offer great benefits and salary is acceptable. The company promotes from within and invests in its employees.
Pros
Benefits and company culture
Cons
45 minute lunch breaks are difficult.
Good company with good values
Customer Care Center - Sales (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILDecember 8, 2016
Company who takes their customers seriously. They know the value of their customers and a lot of the work and training revolve around their clients needs and wants within reason. They take the time to appropriately train staff and provide everything needed so that their employees can do their jobs well. Depending on which department you work in depends on the hours you can work. Sometimes the call centers require late hours that some may not find conducive to their family needs.
Pros
Training, benefits, healthcare options, bonuses
Cons
Sometimes work hours
High volume
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 15, 2016
The understood culture is high productivity and insurance designations to be considered for lateral moves or for a promotion. This is regardless of the degrees or prior skill sets an individual has.
Great new facility with an amazing training program
Personal Auto Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 31, 2016
State Farm puts a large amount of time and money into training new employees. The onboarding program is like nothing I have ever seen. The management staff is friendly and genuinely seems to care about the employees. The perks and benefits of working at State Farm are nice.
Had a kitchen to buy food, had an escalator and elavator to take you to your assign desk.
External Claim Task Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2016
typical day at work is very busy, come in get to work.

I learn a lot of dealing with customer and their loss. Learn to communicate with customer and upset customers.

Management was awesome and very helpful.

co-worker was awesome, got alone well and teamwork to get the job done.

hard part of the job was picking out fraudulent claim, never know when a customer might call to file a fraudulent claim.

most enjoyable part of the job, learning new thing about claims and meeting awesome people.
Pros
1hr. lunch and 3 15min break.
Cons
long hour and 6days work weeks.
Total Loss Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 10, 2017
A typical day at work is never the same. Its very fast paced and no claim is handle the same. I've learned how to maintain calm and professional through conflicting claims. Management and co workers are the same as any other work place, you have great managers and then you have some that are not that great. You have co workers that are willing to help and care and then you have others that are in the work place just to collect a pay check. The hardest part of the job is not being able to assist the customer right away.
Insurance rep
Insurance Agent team member (Current Employee) –  NCOctober 12, 2016
This job has its pros and cons. It has very few benefits and no advancement. Helping people was an enjoyable part of my job.
Working in small office has it's challenges.
Pros
HELPING PEOPLE
Cons
NO BENEFITS
Easy to work with management and colleagues
Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAApril 21, 2016
Easy to work with management and colleagues. However, compensation was below average and job security is questionable. Currently, opportunity for advancement is below average and work load is equivalent to two adjusters.
Pros
Relaxed company culture
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement, work load equivalent to two adjusters