State Highway Administration Employee Reviews

Multi-tasking position, detailled to work, busy environment
Administrator I/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Snow Hill, MDOctober 25, 2015
very busy, must be able to multi-task - busy environment - customer service, detailed to work, good ability to interact with various organizations
Short days, first time experience
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 18, 2015
Although it was just a summer job, i benefited a lot from working at the State Highway Administration. I experienced working with others in general and how it would be at any job. I wish i could have worked here longer to get to know my coworkers better but unfortunately i could not. It was kind of fun delivering mail and packages to their coordinating floors. But the days went by fast.
Pros
They had restaurants to get food from nearby, freedom
Cons
Low pay, little lunch times.
Productive work space
Transportation Engineering Technician II (TET II) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 9, 2015
Productive work space with lots of opportunities to learn something new. I learned various ways to manage projects and if I have any troubles, I should not be scared to ask questions.
My co-workers were polite and willing to help out. The hardest part of the job was quickly understanding somethings that people were talking about as they were new to me.
The most enjoyable part of the job is receiving a document and understanding it. Also, knowing exactly what to do. Basically, being able to contribute to the company was most enjoyable.
Summer Job
OFFICE SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 13, 2015
I loved every moment of working here as a summer intern. Its what pushed me to apply for the opened job as Office Assistant.
Pros
it was a good hardworking job with good partners and good atmosphere
Flagger-laborer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, MDMay 18, 2015
a typical day would start at 6:30 am work till 4:30 pm
I learned to flag traffic saftley and effectivley
most enjoyable was working some place i didnt know diffrent sights
hardest part of the day was standing in the heat for long periods of time
Pros
long lunch..heated and cooled bathroom
Cons
weather effected work progression
I had a understanding supervisor.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDOctober 6, 2014
We would sometime see who would type the most permits, and that was fun to me. The supervisor would record the score on the board. The truckers would bring us donuts and other treats sometime. The co-workers would get along like we were family. We would have to read the map a lot.
Pros
sometimes we would cook breakfast
Cons
401k plan
I enjoy working at SHA
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MdJuly 12, 2014
Typically I come at 8 a.m. and have to immediately start opening the mail/invoices that have been sent to our division from other State Highway Administration divisions. I have to make sure the proper department gets their mail because it contains time sensitive bills etc. My supervisors have been patient with me and I enjoy working under them. My co workers are very intelligent people that have been employed at SHA for quite some time and have no problem continuing to show me the ropes. The hardest part of my job is, well there really isn't one. My job is fairly easy now that I have learned what is expected of me. By 4:30 I have opened 4 different sets of mail/invoices and worked diligently throughout the day assisting my co workers with running our department efficiently. I also have to enter information into the computer daily. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am silently involved in a important part of insuring that our city runs smoothly.
Pros
location, great co workers
Cons
temporary employment status, low pay
Ok
Facility Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 8, 2014
Typical Job did a lot of outside labor work that really wasn't for me
Internship
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  baltimore, mdMarch 11, 2014
I learned a lot at my internship with State Highway Administration. It was like a help desk position/ IT coordinator and I work under a Senior IT specialist
Maintain a smile
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 30, 2014
Very fast paced, the most enjoyable part was meeting all the county executives.
wonderful job
Highway Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 4, 2013
State Highway Administration is a wonderful job, you just need to become and permanent employee.
Good Co-workers
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 3, 2013
Enjoyed working there, I had a good time there. This job was helping me decide what direction I wanted my life to go.
Pros
nice place to work
Cons
temporary
Working for SHA was awesome!
Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 19, 2013
Since I've only worked for them for about three months, I could say very little about them. I've learned about working together with other teammates and co-workers. Their management was well-constructed and well-communicated. They've learned how to communicate in a professional manner. Employees were very welcoming to new employees coming on board. They actually have taken the time to train new employees and give full details about certain projects. The hardest part of the job was to demonstrate presentations. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other co-workers.
Pros
1 hour of lunch breaks
productive work with diverse group of members
BINDER LAB TECHNICIAN III (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJanuary 29, 2013
work with very diverse group of members. often work in groups on projects and that makes it interesting and easy to come up with solutions on projects and finishing up a project. having a divers group of members gives us to look at a problem from several different prospective and different opinions on one particular project.
easy Great work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 23, 2013
Work their was fairly easy .
management really cared.
Working among people in my age range
Pros
working amongst people in my age range making my own schedule
SHA
Temp Tech I (Former Employee) –  Accident, MDSeptember 11, 2012
I enjoyed working for the SHA. I was only a Temp though and I got layed off. I did Road maintenance and plowed snow in the winter.
Cons
temp
productive
Shop Administrative Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 14, 2012
The job is ok for the most part. Not something I would want to do my whole life. There are lots of opportunities to advance to other positions. My job usually involves answering phones and handling employees time.
Pros
health benefits great leave options
Cons
hire people without manners or proper training.
First Rate
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Annapolis MDJuly 22, 2012
No two days are ever the same. I have learned a lot and currently work for the best boss ever. Friendly environment. Hardest part of the job is always being between elected officials and constituents. Most enjoyable part of the job is liking the small town feel.
Pros
great insurance
Cons
government pay
Productive Workplace
ENGINEERING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 5, 2012
Wonderful opportunity to get hands on experience in different facets of civil engineering

4.3