State Highway Administration Employee Reviews

A lot of training on dump trucks and different heavy equipment machines.
Facility Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 17, 2017
I enjoyed learning how to operate all of the different heavy equipment machines along with driving dump trucks and learning how to plow snow in the winter months.
state highway administration debris removal
heavy debris removal (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDSeptember 28, 2017
a typical day at work for me would be moving heavy equipment and trash.
I believe the most important thing I learned was how to get along with people and how to appreciate manual labor.
On a scale from 1-2-10 I rate management a 6 for being unorganized.
The culture of SHA I would say is very soul full because everyone
was on one accord.
The #1 hardest part of the job was removing dead carcasses and old molded furniture.
The most enjoyment out of the whole job was being able to work hard and enjoy an honest living.
Pros
earning money.
Cons
not being able to work enough hours.
Very enjoyable
Summer Internship as Engineering Technician (II) (Former Employee) –  Lavale, MDSeptember 11, 2017
Gained a proficient amount of experience with area wide projects for the construction sector of SHA. It was a very enjoyable few months and I learned and got to witness a lot. I would definitely recommend a career with SHA.
A good place to work
Labor/ Flagger, Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, MDSeptember 5, 2017
You work and get the job done and move on to the next job. It is a friendly place to work. Everyone gets along and works together to get the job done.
Pros
Fun Place to work with people that cared about your safety
Cons
Wish the state highway would higher people that cant get CDL's because their health issues
State Govt
REAL ESTATE ACQUISITION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 5, 2017
The State has a tendency to employ unqualified people for positions of authority. this leads to micro-managing and poor work relationships. The hardest part of this job is working with management for a more cohesive atmosphere.
Pros
Work at your own pace.
Cons
Management micro managing
Temp Job
Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 28, 2017
This position was temporary but while I was working at the State Highway it was rewarding to learn about the many highway contracts and the blue prints that was developed in doing it.
Pros
hours
Cons
temp position
advancement
Shop Administrative Technician III (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJuly 19, 2017
They offer great education tools. The opportunity is their if you want to take advantage. The different type of cultures you get to work with.
they also offer different kind of in house classes you can take.
Great Employer
Admin Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDJuly 5, 2017
I am responsible for payroll, daily work orders and customer service calls. I have gained a wealth of knowledge through various training programs they offer. The hardest part of the job is working the winter storms. We are here for days.
Pros
Benefits Package & Free meals during winter events
Excellent place to work
Assistant Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 25, 2017
Very nice place to work. People are great!! Warehouse position allows for warehouse personnel to support the traffic management personnel who work 24 hr shifts to maintain the Maryland Stae Highway.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
State salaries are very low compared to government salaries
A great place to work
Field Maintenance Technician III (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDMarch 19, 2017
The benefits are great! The pay is decent. You always get your 40/week. You get a decent amount of overtime during the winter. It is like working with a big family.
A typical day at my job.
Facilities Maintenance Technician II (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MD 20707February 16, 2017
My day may consist of repairing roadways with Deep patching {pot holes} Hand mowing, Traffic Control on the roadways in emergencies, Snow removal, operating heavy equipment to get certain jobs done, and addressing the publics concerns when needed.
Pros
They help you to get your Cdl, and get trained on lots of equipmet that we use.
Cons
It can be a Dangerous job and it is not worth it for the pay!
productive, growth
Shop Administrative Technician III (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 10, 2017
A typical day for me is meeting new people as while as speaking with different people. I answer phones , greet people and direct calls to the right person
Pros
education
Cons
short lunch
Productive abd driven place to work.
TET II (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 23, 2016
I had the opportunity to learn about what it takes to have an effective crew on a work site.

The Team Leads are a wonderful example on how to get the job done and are always willing to help.

As long as you knew the procedures and the policies, there was no pressure in getting the job done.

There was no need of them looking over your shoulders, they had confidence in your ability in getting the job done.
Prductive and fun workplace
Facilitie Maintnance Tec. 3 (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDFebruary 5, 2016
7 am till 4 pm maintaining state of Maryland roadways excellent job. I learned so much there. I learned how to operate heavy equipment how to flag and I learned about safety in the field. Management acknowledge you for what you did. The co workers cared for one another. The hardest part was waking up out of some real good sleep to go back to work to push snow. I enjoyed everything about the job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Dangerous sometimes
Multi-tasking position, detailled to work, busy environment
Administrator I/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Snow Hill, MDOctober 25, 2015
very busy, must be able to multi-task - busy environment - customer service, detailed to work, good ability to interact with various organizations
Short days, first time experience
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 18, 2015
Although it was just a summer job, i benefited a lot from working at the State Highway Administration. I experienced working with others in general and how it would be at any job. I wish i could have worked here longer to get to know my coworkers better but unfortunately i could not. It was kind of fun delivering mail and packages to their coordinating floors. But the days went by fast.
Pros
They had restaurants to get food from nearby, freedom
Cons
Low pay, little lunch times.
Productive work space
Transportation Engineering Technician II (TET II) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 9, 2015
Productive work space with lots of opportunities to learn something new. I learned various ways to manage projects and if I have any troubles, I should not be scared to ask questions.
My co-workers were polite and willing to help out. The hardest part of the job was quickly understanding somethings that people were talking about as they were new to me.
The most enjoyable part of the job is receiving a document and understanding it. Also, knowing exactly what to do. Basically, being able to contribute to the company was most enjoyable.
Summer Job
OFFICE SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 13, 2015
I loved every moment of working here as a summer intern. Its what pushed me to apply for the opened job as Office Assistant.
Pros
it was a good hardworking job with good partners and good atmosphere
Flagger-laborer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, MDMay 18, 2015
a typical day would start at 6:30 am work till 4:30 pm
I learned to flag traffic saftley and effectivley
most enjoyable was working some place i didnt know diffrent sights
hardest part of the day was standing in the heat for long periods of time
Pros
long lunch..heated and cooled bathroom
Cons
weather effected work progression
I had a understanding supervisor.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDOctober 6, 2014
We would sometime see who would type the most permits, and that was fun to me. The supervisor would record the score on the board. The truckers would bring us donuts and other treats sometime. The co-workers would get along like we were family. We would have to read the map a lot.
Pros
Sometimes we would cook breakfast
Cons
401K plan