State University of New York at Buffalo Employee Reviews

Opportunities within Research Foundation
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 4, 2017
Taught elements of research that are used throughout your career. Ability to seek other positions funded by Research Foundation.
Excellent opportunity to make a difference in someones life by providing tools necessary to compete in todays world.
Instructor, Information Technology Department (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 12, 2016
A typical day begins with the preparation of lesson plans, course schedules, grading and the instructing adult students.

I have learned that todays individual students have many learning styles that work from traditional textbook based instruction to internet assisted course supplemental materials and online training courses.

I find it important to share information with other Instructors in planning future pilot programs and understanding the direction of future employment trends in WNY.

The hardest part of the job to me is motiving students to follow a career plan while dealing with the daily issues of child care, criminal records, long term unemployment and re-learning how to learn.

The most enjoyable part is to see the student that you helped graduate, get a meaningful position using the skills taught by members of the EOC faculty.
Pros
Tution free education for eligible students
Cons
Lack of qualified Instructors in the technological area
Great and fun environment for a graduate student
Summer Counselor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 26, 2016
A great learning experience while at school. Making friends and learning leadership roles. The students respect each other and I really enjoyed my time there.
Boring day to day job
Computer Information Technology, Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 8, 2016
It was not the most exciting place to work. Working there helped you learn some management skills as well as having to think quickly to solve issues.
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 27, 2016
Good academic environment. People also share their experiences on job finding and past works. Although school need to establish more connection with companies.
Position very diverse
Undergrad. Admissions Office - Keyboard Spec. I (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYApril 17, 2016
I held several different roles in the Admissions Office while I was there. I started as a receptionist, then in international admissions, then marketing, then minority requirement.
nice workplace
Ph.D. Candidate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 11, 2015
I used to be a teaching assistant at UB. My instructor is a nice person and my co-workers are nice to talk with. I enjoyed working there. However, buffalo's winter is too cold.
Interesting workplace, challenging, and fun.
University Police Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 14, 2015
Worked closely with University Police to secure the campus grounds. Worked as security for special events on school grounds, provided transportation services to students and guests, secured Burchfield Penney Art Museum and various campus buildings. I learned how to use codes to communicate with police, supervisors, and co-workers. I also learned CPR and self defense as it was a necessary part of my job. Management was always helpful and willing to offer advice. The hardest part of my job was working overnight shifts and staying alert for any potential dangers late at night. The most enjoyable part of this job was working side by side with University Police and building comradery with them.
Pros
occasional free lunches, flexible hours
Cons
no healthcare offered as it was part of a work study program
Nice place to study
Ph.D. Candidate (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2015
I worked as TA in State University of New York at Buffalo for almost two years. Overall workload for TA is appropriate and work environment is quite friendly. The hardest part of my job was to balance my course work and TA work. I enjoyed teaching student, it is great to give back what I have learned.
Interesting and enlightening
Technical Assistant to the University President (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYOctober 25, 2014
My day started with being punctual and ready to get the office going. Once I was sure all copiers were functioning, my work study student knew his/her responsibilities, supplies were in order, the switchboard was open and the operator was on duty, I could then get to reviewing and organizing all the confidential written documents and communication dealing with the university president and his staff. I had to be able to retrieve anything in a minutes notice which not only involved the presidential suite but communication with staff in the archives as well.

Initially it was challenging to get to know all the university's departments and staff members and get an organized system that was effective and time sensitive.

What a great way to get to know the university and how it works!
Excellent quality of study.
Student (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 9, 2014
Excellent College. Although I am not working here I can say that it's an amazing university with a lot of people from different cultures. The professors, classrooms, and equipment used are all high level.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Weather
Great Working Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 24, 2014
Good learning experience as a research assistant. Good exposure while working with the professor
Good place to learn
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 12, 2014
Good place to learn, and good place to know people from all over world. Multicultural environment, and everyone was chasing academic ecellence.
A good opportunity to experience the world of teaching
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 20, 2013
A typical day as a teacher's assistant involved teaching one or two biology labs. In this course, we were given a set of guidelines of what to teach, but were allowed to present it in a manner we felt comfortable with. In addition, we had to make homework assignments, and quizzes, which we then had to grade. We were also responsible for proctoring and grading exams. We had to have office hours each week and make our selves available whenever the students needed it.
I learned how to manage students and take control in a classroom setting, while improving my time management skills. The management was friendly and always available to talk when there were concerns. They led by example, and did a great job in doing so.
The most challenging aspect of this was definitely time management. I had to work with my students, while taking classes myself, and then leave time to work out the next class and grading assignments. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, but I'd say getting the opportunity to teach was my favorite part.
Pros
Can earn pay or college credits, Get a nice preview of the world of teaching, Can modify the curriculum to an extent
Cons
Not a very flexible schedule once everything is set
Research
Student Assessor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYMay 20, 2013
Unfortunately, I was already working full time, interning, and studying my classwork. While I enjoyed working at UB, I had other priorities.
Research Technician
Lab Technician II & Lab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 20, 2013
Fast paced work environment and learned several skills. Able to multitask and network. Attained skills related to biological research and was an integral part of a team oriented environment
Pros
flexibility
Cons
variety
Lots of opportunities for growth and development
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 3, 2013
Many professors willing to help advancements in your careers and many resources available to students
Pros
many professional opportunities
Cons
many students
Nice place to learn anthropology.
Graduate Assistant in Doctoral Program (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 4, 2012
Faculty and students are friendly and dedicated. Teaching assistants are neither overworked nor disrespected as I have heard happens at some other schools. Academic standards are high and the coursework is interesting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State University of New York at Buffalo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3