State University of New York at Buffalo

State University of New York at Buffalo Employee Reviews

Nice place to study
Ph.D. Candidate (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2015
I worked as TA in State University of New York at Buffalo for almost two years. Overall workload for TA is appropriate and work environment is quite friendly. The hardest part of my job was to balance my course work and TA work. I enjoyed teaching student, it is great to give back what I have learned.
Interesting and enlightening
Technical Assistant to the University President (Former Employee), Amherst, NYOctober 25, 2014
My day started with being punctual and ready to get the office going. Once I was sure all copiers were functioning, my work study student knew his/her responsibilities, supplies were in order, the switchboard was open and the operator was on duty, I could then get to reviewing and organizing all the confidential written documents and communication dealing with the university president and his staff. I had to be able to retrieve anything in a minutes notice which not only involved the presidential suite but communication with staff in the archives as well.

Initially it was challenging to get to know all the university's departments and staff members and get an organized system that was effective and time sensitive.

What a great way to get to know the university and how it works!
Excellent quality of study.
Student (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: knowledge
Cons: weather
Excellent College. Although I am not working here I can say that it's an amazing university with a lot of people from different cultures. The professors, classrooms, and equipment used are all high level.
Great Working Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJune 24, 2014
Good learning experience as a research assistant. Good exposure while working with the professor
Good place to learn
Researcher (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYApril 12, 2014
Good place to learn, and good place to know people from all over world. Multicultural environment, and everyone was chasing academic ecellence.
A good opportunity to experience the world of teaching
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 20, 2013
Pros: can earn pay or college credits, get a nice preview of the world of teaching, can modify the curriculum to an extent
Cons: not a very flexible schedule once everything is set
A typical day as a teacher's assistant involved teaching one or two biology labs. In this course, we were given a set of guidelines of what to teach, but were allowed to present it in a manner we felt comfortable with. In addition, we had to make homework assignments, and quizzes, which we then had to grade. We were also responsible for proctoring and grading exams. We had to have office hours each week and make our selves available whenever the students needed it.
I learned how to manage students and take control in a classroom setting, while improving my time management skills. The management was friendly and always available to talk when there were concerns. They led by example, and did a great job in doing so.
The most challenging aspect of this was definitely time management. I had to work with my students, while taking classes myself, and then leave time to work out the next class and grading assignments. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, but I'd say getting the opportunity to teach was my favorite part.
Research
Student Assessor (Former Employee), Amherst, NYMay 20, 2013
Unfortunately, I was already working full time, interning, and studying my classwork. While I enjoyed working at UB, I had other priorities.
Research Technician
Lab Technician II & Lab Supervisor (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMay 20, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: variety
Fast paced work environment and learned several skills. Able to multitask and network. Attained skills related to biological research and was an integral part of a team oriented environment
Lots of opportunities for growth and development
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 3, 2013
Pros: many professional opportunities
Cons: many students
Many professors willing to help advancements in your careers and many resources available to students
Nice place to learn anthropology.
Graduate Assistant in Doctoral Program (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJune 4, 2012
Faculty and students are friendly and dedicated. Teaching assistants are neither overworked nor disrespected as I have heard happens at some other schools. Academic standards are high and the coursework is interesting.

State University of New York at Buffalo Salaries