State University of New York Employee Reviews

Admission Counselor/Multicultural Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Canton, NYJune 10, 2016
Working with SUNY Canton instill in me my passion for higher education and working in the field even when I am working in other fields. It was a passion I didnt know I had until I got the job at SUNY Canton and for that I will always hold SUNY Canton at a high regard as one of the great eight tech schools in the state of NY.
Outstanding experience
Night Host (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 10, 2016
Start work at 11:45pm. do round every hour to make sure that there are no problems in the building a well as taking count to how many people were in certain places such as the lounges or computer labs.
Pros
good time to get work done
Cons
overnight hours
Good way to interact with new people while gaining valuable experience
New Paltz - Night Host (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 6, 2016
For a few hours on duty nights, we, as nighthosts, would go on rounds, file incidents and interactions with outsiders and most importantly, talk to people as they came into the people. This served to not only build a community within the halls but also, to make sure that these people were welcome in the building, for their own safety and others'.
An unforgetable place with ample opportunity to grow
Fitness Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brockport, NYMay 27, 2016
I enjoyed every moment of my time with the State University of New York at Brockport. I made friends that will last a lifetime and I am incredibly grateful for the opportunities that I was provided by my managing staff. I would not be who I am today if it was not for this place.
Pros
opportunity to learn
Cons
lack of hours at times
Worked as resident assistant in a building of 400 residents
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYMay 17, 2016
SUNY Oswego allowed me the opportunity to be a resident assistant within a building of 400 residents. I was a great community and atmosphere to put on public health programs about living a healthy lifestyle.
Great Work place
Membership Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brockport, NYMay 8, 2016
Great place to work. The student body is amazing. Seeing the looks on the faces of students when we provided them the service they needed made the job worth it.
Large research university with many opportunities to advance.
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 23, 2016
Loved working at SUNY. The experience I gained provided many transferable skills, and the office environment was very supportive and set me up for success.
work/study position
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 21, 2016
the position i had was fairly easy and the work was pretty tolerable. simple paperwork editing and scanning. the hours were nice as well. only thing is, working and handling classes and homework was a hefty challenge for me and that was the only hard part of it all.
Pros
nice environment, lovely people
Cons
stress of classes and homework
Productive and fun place to work at
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYMarch 28, 2016
It was enjoyable and I learnt a lot of organizational stuff. The coworkers were good as they were always helpful. The hardest part of the job was always setting a target of arranging 100 books per day. The most enjoyable part was when it was easy to find the books call numbers.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Short breaks for an hour during lunch
Great learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 2, 2016
excellent research opportunity. I am a student who is currently doing research under my professor at state university of new york (buffalo)
Free environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYFebruary 25, 2016
Easy going staff to work with free spirited work environment.Overall enjoyment while working and good experience. also was allowed to work from home at several occasions
Police
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 9, 2015
Worked as a police officer securing the SUNY plaza and surrounding SUNY owned properties. Great organization to work for, very supportive of police functions.
Good educational position.
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Canton NYDecember 2, 2015
Enjoyed teaching, advising and working with students and most colleagues...good experience. No further commit. Would recommend the school and department.
Pros
Educational Setting with students.
Cons
Little job security.
Institution in transition at the time
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 30, 2015
Loved teaching within the department
Department was just moving from Physical Education to Exercise Science without much expertise in implementation of principles in business environments
The staff and university are top notch
This was a wonderful opportunity for me
Pros
Loved teaching, enjoyed the staff, loved being involved with research
Cons
during a transition phase
Workplace was great and very friendly.
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 15, 2015
Roswell Park was a great place to work. It had a very good environment. People worked together. There was always room for in-site advancement.
Pros
Met great staff and patients.
Real life experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 25, 2015
Here I was given a lot of freedom and responsibility to be my own professional. I would be given jobs to fulfill and a time frame at which to complete it and they would leave me to my devices to complete them. The hardest part of the job was honestly the freedom that I had. I was so used to be watched over every step of the way with tasks to complete, but here, they trusted me enough that they felt they did not have to micro-manage me.
Typical student job
Computer Technician/Front End (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYSeptember 22, 2015
Management does treat most people fair but things like the heavy lifting and grunt work is all on the students. Only complaint is they didn't take care of the students like they should have with amount of work they gave. Overall a fantastic place to work for a student job.
graduate assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2015
It is a chance to broaden my knowledge and perspectives at school while studying. I really recommend to work as a graduate assistant.
Pros
fun, safe
Cons
low salary
Excellent place to work
Manager, Graphic Design (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2015
Great people to work with, interesting always a new design challenge.

I work very closely with marketing and have learned so much. The marketing people are excellent. I am able to take what I have learned and apply it to my freelance clients.

I am also on the College Senate and Diversity committee.
SUNY-Genesee as an adjunt instructor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYAugust 18, 2015
As an adjunct instructor at any SUNY colleges you can expect to be paid under $2K dollars per 16wk class assignment! There are NO benefits of any kind. The culture expects you to participate in extra unpaid activities very frequently or your commitment to your college is questioned. You work contract to contract with no more that 3 classes in anyone semester. Once your assignments are through the college has no more to do with you unless you stay on the scheduler for course instructors who will "keep you in Mind". So you need to start from the first time the next class schedule to beg for classes. Never do these academic elites worry about you! They find some one else and you find them teaching your classes even if you have very high student approval rating and are liked by the staff. So, enjoy the time with you students as they make it worth your extra time making your class exciting, impact-full and of value to your students. Don't expect to improve programs or have any say in the process.
Pros
Excellent Place to work with low stress.
Cons
As an Adjunct Instructor there is low pay, no benefits, work 16w contract to contract.

4.4