State of Alaska Employee Reviews in United States

I enjoyed being with and taking care of my father.
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 24, 2016
I learned patients working with cancer patients. The hardest part of the job would being patient. The most enjoyable part is taking care of my father.
Pros
Being close to my father
Professional Experience in Government Accounting
Accountant IV (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKMay 21, 2016
My jobs with the State of Alaska improved on the experience that I had in Governmental Accounting.

Most of my time at the State of Alaska was spent in a very positive environment with other professionals willing to go the extra mile to get work done.
Friendly staff
Office Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Juneau, AK 99801May 5, 2016
Very fast paste environment, multiple duties from 8-4:30. I have learned a lot from WANS to distributing in bound mail to scanning confidential documents in to file folders sorting and disregarding return mail. My management staff are so wonderful, well knowledge people and always there to help with work load if need and/or questions. On the other hand my co-worker, well i feel like this team is the best that i have ever worked with in all my adult life so far. I would have to say that there is no hard part about my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is that i get to see a wide variety my peers and co-workers with a smile on their faces no matter how bad the work load is .
Pros
Friendly but professional, easy days and aloud to have headphones on to work
Cons
no cons
Not good
Program Manager (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 20, 2016
Limited in budget, limited staff, limited knowledge. probably not the best person to ask about how the state of alaska is doing due to my limited time working there
Great place
Maintenance Generalist (Former Employee) –  Palmer, AKMarch 6, 2016
Working for the State of Alaska is a great experience. Great Managment and people. It is great to work around educated people. You can only work 7.5 hours per day due to the fact that State employees are furloughed. Working 37.5 hours per week is great to spend more time with family. The benefits are fair as well as the pay. Vacation accrues fairly fast, and again allows more time to be around family and friends.

I recommend this employer for anyone that cares about their mental health and strong family values.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Fair wage
seasonal work that paid excellent
Highway Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKJanuary 11, 2016
I worked at least six ten hour days a week, anything over seven and a half hours a day or thirty seven hours a week was time and a half. If I worked Sundays or holidays I received double pay. The worst part of the job was I always worked out of town away from home, but I received one hundred and fifty dollars a day for lodging and meals, I had an airstream trailer I stayed in so I had no lodging bills.
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
work away from home
Great benefits, awesome location
Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Ketchikan, AKJanuary 7, 2016
Working here allows for plenty of personal time. Very understanding and flexible management. The job is always changing, usually able to complete any task within a reasonable time.
Great Experience
Administrative Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 23, 2015
Administrative duties, Professional demeanor and a awesome management team.Gained personal characteristics reflected a high degree of integrity, maturity, Dependability and enthusiasm.
Great opportunity for advancement, growth and long-term security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKDecember 7, 2015
My family moved to Alaska for Military obligations upon several Tours of Duty. I found it amazing in so many ways and was able to learn a lot and appreciate the nature. I found employment for the State of Alaska Government Center full of training, opportunities and enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities, training and people
Cons
The standard amount of red-tape and politics.
I really enjoyed working here.
Application Developer IV (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 20, 2015
I loved that I had flexible hours. I came in around 7:30AM and left at 3:30PM which was when my children got off the bus from school. In todays society with as many working females as males, companies need to realize that flexibility is key. The most enjoyable part of the job was everything. I enjoyed developing web applications, enjoyed my co-workers, made lasting friendships and would work here again in a heartbeat!
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
I really can not think of any
Learned and worked with State Statues and Regulations as well as a great team of Inspectors ans investigators.
Contractor Licensing Examiner (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKOctober 14, 2015
Fun and sometimes challenging place to work, supportive management. High levels of red tape and politics at times that is to be expected in a State Government job.
Api
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 14, 2015
Loved the job, management was moderately supportive, lots of hours available, great pay, certain teams work better than others. Can be a fun place to work, however they do hire just "bodies" and people willing to work the hours.
Pros
great pay
Cons
understaffed, patient violence
life draining
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 15, 2015
surrounded by felony inmates all day who would just a soon stab you as say hello. Administration will defend a convict and crucify an officer to protect the department from legal issues.
Pros
not working there
Cons
having given time to that career, wasted time
Generally easy shift, good staff support, gym for staff,cook outs on a regular basis.
License Practical nurse (Former Employee) –  Eagle River, AKAugust 30, 2015
Good staff support, as this was a high stress job where the work situation could become explosive, all Staff would protect each other in case of an altercation . Both medical and Correctional staff would work as a team to difuse and hostile situation. There was general laughter, jokes on staff, cook outs and of course birthdays celebration and the too soon to retire parties . Of the many duties , my favorite was orientation of new staff . Firm but in a light manner, I would ensure the new person would perform the work as taught.
While everyone has their favorite shift, we kept any differences to a minium by having staff meetings. One of the best policies, was the "Open door Policy" where anyone with a legitimate concern could see the CEO or his assistant to voice their opinion.
As a team we all grew in a professional manner, sometimes the easy way, sometimes the not so easy…but lesson learned .
By not having a regular routine, and always knowing the unexpected
would surly come, kept us on guard.
Boring it was not, challenging was a given.
Pros
Cookouts, retirement parties, Pig out parties
Cons
Constantly having to be aware of possible attack from prisoners, or allegations of any kind.Constanly being expose to HIV, comunical
State of Alaska- Es
Environmental Service Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKAugust 21, 2015
I like working for the state it has great benefits. I do think that they should get paid more espescially in my department . The management that i am under i do not think they do there jobs accordly to the policy and procedures i have gone to chain of command when issues arrised did not like the outcome; nothing got done.
Pros
health
Cons
Drive
Productive and quiet office with great views
Adminitrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 17, 2015
I work on the top floor of an office building overlooking a great fishing creek that is widely known for the salmon that swim there. I also look east to the mountains and have seen many beautiful sunrises there as well as felt a few earthquakes. I live 50 miles away and hate the commute of poor drivers. I am putting 10 miles a day on my truck. It isn't what I want to do, commute so far. I end up spending 10 hours a week just sitting in my truck in traffic.
Pros
Beautiful views
Cons
too far if you don't like to commute and don't mind missing your family
Interesting
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKAugust 5, 2015
I could have done almost no work and had an extended career. Unfortunately I am not wired that way and I implemented change. Change that streamlined budget, staffing and production. Very successful. However, new administration needed more malleable people to work with and I became expendable.

Best team of people I ever worked with and I enjoyed every minute.

Hardest part was not being able to convince executives to allow the team to continue on the path we had analyzed and determined to be the best for future growth. No vision from leadership.

Interestingly enough after I was gone, the State implemented my plan. (our Plan as many people contributed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Exempt employee, had a resignation letter on file at all times.
Lots of workload
OFFICE ASSISTANT II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 3, 2015
Lots for work to work with and never had to worry about running out of work. Helped with fellow co workers when they are behind with their work and/or vacation.
Emergency Medical Dispatcher
Emergency Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Soldotna, AkJuly 30, 2015
Answer 911 emergency calls, dispatch police/fire/medical personnel were needed. Learned to stay calm under pressure, listen to all the details to get the proper assistance dispatched. Managers and co workers worked hand in hand to deliver the best help as possible. Hardest part of the job was dealing with fatalities. The most enjoyable was when I delivered babies via 911 call while medical personnel were still enroute.
Productive and exciting work experience
AUDIT AND RATE ANALYST II (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 25, 2015
Very high, excellent benefits, great staff to work with including Team projects. Would highly recommend this job to anyone looking for an interesting career in the medical field, specifically Medicare Cost Report and Medicaid Rate analysis.
Pros
Health care benefits, Flexible spending accounts, retirement match

4.2