State of Alaska

State of Alaska Employee Reviews

Working for the DMV
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 16, 2015
A typical day would include providing excellent customer service and being multifaceted to handle anything that comes your way. Enjoying people was the most important part. I enjoyed my interactions with all customers and supervising out of town offices in the rural areas of Alaska.
Challenging, exciting, and demanding work
Legislative staff (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 8, 2015
Working for the Alaska State Legislature is not especially demanding during the interim (i.e., when the legislature is not in session) -- but during session you will never work harder in your life. The ability to work long hours in an intense environment on issues of great importance is a must. The work is often frustrating and stressful, but can also be quite rewarding, and the experience is invaluable. In the day-to-day work, conscientiousness, work ethic and attention to detail are the most important needed characteristics of a staffer -- but when session is wrapping up and the pressure increases, resourcefulness, perception and judgment become of critical importance.
State of Alaska
Natural Resource Technician II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 6, 2015
Pros: Ability to go to school and work.
This is a good place to start from the bottom and work your way up. There is a lot of good informative classes to go to, as well as outside classes. In most cases you can ask for help if stuck, and determine if you are in need of more work if you are inclined to want more work. It is multifaceted and can lead to better things.
Great college job
Juvenile Justice Officer (Former Employee), Nome, AKMay 5, 2015
Very rewarding. Great place to fell like you are making a difference in someones life. Truly gained new respect for tough situations.
Safety
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Feeling gratified at end of day, driving home.
Cons: Challenges of personalities.
A typical day in law enforcement was supervising 80+ people a day. I learned about how difficult it can be with the challenges of caring for their needs in a confined space. Keeping peace and safety for public as well as the employed and incarcerated.
The co-workers gave the best support and were always available.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes, meeting the needs of the amount of people in a day was not going to happen.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with, my fellow co-workers.
Working for the State of Alaska was a blessing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKFebruary 12, 2015
Provided support to a staff of 85 employees.

I learned so much working for the Dept. of Public Assistance.

My co-workers were great with helping understanding the requirements of the state.
n/a
Administrative Clerk III (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKFebruary 5, 2015
As a professional administrative assistant and project coordinator with over 10 years of experience and an extensive educational background in health and human services,
I have accomplished great success throughout my career, having been tasked with database management, generating reports, detailed research and analysis, managing various projects, and meeting strict deadlines simultaneously while always maintaining strong efficiency and identifying new ways to complete projects in a more efficient manner. I have been responsible for a variety of tasks such as operating numerous budgets, accounts payable, timekeeping and compiling data.
Dynamic office job with a variety of duties
College Intern I/II (Former Employee), Juneau, AKJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule for educational advancements, good pay.
Cons: limited hours could work within, was a desk job and generally very sedentary, no benefits as an intern.
My position at the State of Alaska, Division of Retirement and Benefits was overall positive. I worked as a college intern and was able to make my own schedule as long as it was within business hours and I did not work more than 7.5 hours in a day. I was able to learn a great deal of clerical and other office experience during my time at this time.
Corrections in Alaska
Corrections Officer II (Current Employee), Seward, AKDecember 15, 2014
Pros: lots of ot
Cons: the inmates
I enjoy the busy work.
I feel I can manager any issues.
Co-workers are mostly A peronally which I work well with.
I have learned alot while working here.
Pay is good.
Enjoy the OT and the new paychecks.
Medical is outstanding as well.
Pleasure to Work Here
Accounting Technican II (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKNovember 25, 2014
I appreciate the benefits the State provides, the work hours are superb! The best part of the job are my co workers, they make the day and job much easier. Learning new things on the job helps me understand and provide better experiences to the public.
Productive and fun workplace with a tight knit group.
Office Assistant II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKNovember 21, 2014
Working for the State of Alaska Department of Transportation is never dull, everyday is different. It is a very upbeat and positive work environment with a friendly bunch of co-workers. The hardest part of the job would have to be disgruntled callers who dislike the road construction and upgrades. Aside from that, there isn't much to keep one from enjoying this complex work environment.
Great Benefits
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee), Kenai, AKOctober 16, 2014
Great place of employment. Co-workers are all great to get along with. Hardest part of job is trying to stay awake on night shift. Learned how to be a better officer with all the training that was giving to me.
Laid back and Fun
Office Assistant II (Former Employee), Juneau, AKSeptember 12, 2014
Making copies, filing and getting mail, keeping the log up to date.
Great summer job
Aircraft Dispatcher (Former Employee), Fairbanks, AKSeptember 5, 2014
Working fire is a great way to earn money for college, while still attending college. I love the people and the places you get to travel if going on a fire assignment out of state, but it isn't enough to keep someone like me busy year round. It is a seasonal job. The long hours and weeks are manageable for the short amount of time you work there during the year.

Management has been different every year, which makes for a difficult working relationship.

A great college/summer job or for those who have full time jobs in the winter.
Very detailed and proffesional work ethic with a laid back enviroment
Investigator II (Current Employee), Anchorage, AlaskaAugust 26, 2014
Pros: great learning enviroment, travel, laid back atmosphere
Cons: long hours, short lunches, short staffed
One begins the day reviewing cases and responding to emails. Then follow up with open cases while responding to incoming scene responses throughout the state of Alaska. Some scenes require travel most do not. My co-workers are professional and courteous. Some more positive than others. The hardest part of this job to me is responding to child and infant deaths. I believe you are not normal if this does not affect you in some way. What I do love about this job is that it's something different everyday and not stuck in a rut or same old routine. The office is always open for broadening training and letting you attend educational conferences pertaining to the field of work.
Good over all but far from perfect
Technician (Former Employee), JuneauJuly 27, 2014
Pros: reasonally good pay and benefits. job security if you can stand living in juneau.
Cons: apathetic and marginally competent management. extremely expensive housing. expensive medical care.
The good old boy system and nepotism are both alive and well, particularly in Juneau. The management was not adequately competent to effectively manage the technologies and talent that were at their disposal. One of my co-workers would occasionally throw temper tantrums at me and management would not address the matter until I threatened outside legal action. Shirking and incompetence are tolerated due to being protected by a union and management not being willing to take on the union. Discrimination is rampant. I personally either witnessed or experienced discrimination for reasons of age, race, gender and not being from Alaska originally or having not lived there for many years. Most of the people there are friendly and helpful, but when they are not it can drastically effect your ability to do your job and there is no recourse because it is a small area and managers have known each other for many years, frequently play sports together and or go to the same gym,etc., and will not act if it could potentially put them in a contentious situation.
Busy and exciting
Accountant IV (Former Employee), Juneau, AKJuly 17, 2014
A typical day at work involved preparing reports, reconciliations and handling inquiries from various outside sources and in state departments. I learned about the investment industry. The management was great as were my co-workers.The hardest part of the job was the challenge to meet strict deadlines which I always did. I loved the fact that I was constantly learning and always busy.
LOVED this position!
Administrative Clerk II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 23, 2014
This position was with Public Assistance in Anchorage, Alaska. Our office served the villages on the coastal plains of Alaska. My typical daily duties were sorting paperwork and filing as well as answering phones. I learned several skills with this job in Microsoft Office.

The hardest part of this job was lifting boxes full of files.

The most enjoyable part of the job was managing the file room, finding lost files and setting up files to be picked up by the archiving company.
Friendly
Loan/Collection Officer I (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 20, 2014
The State is a great place to work, if you are able to transfer to other departments. Where I am now there is no room for advancement.
Accounting clerk
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Anchorage,AKJune 10, 2014
All Accounting tasks associated with criminal, civil and minor offense cases.
Reconciling transaction data by report (Deposit Register) and maintain a spreadsheet of all payments posted.
Respond to inquiries from defendants, courts, and other agencies regarding account status.
Balance Suspense accounts and auditing debtors account and reports for errors.

1 2 3