State of Alaska Employee Reviews

State of Alaska
Employment Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKOctober 16, 2012
I was a civil servant worker living in San Antonio, Texas, having had a successful seventeen year career until......Kelly AFB was targeted for closure.

Relocating to Alaska meant searching for work immediately and I found work with the US Coast Guard, NOAA, and the Bureau of Land Management. I was also fortunate to have worked for the State of Alaska, Department of Administration, the Alaska State Troopers and the University of Alaska. My duties consisted of managing the calendar for the Director of Personnel, preparing correspondence, maintaining radio traffic for the troopers, typing up writs (subpeonas) to be served and using my spanish speaking skills for translation in court hearings. I could write of a book of what transpired while prisoners were being held in the holding cells before going before the judge! NOAA was very interesting work and I really enjoyed watching the divers prepare to go underwater to map the bottom of the ocean. I also did timekeeping, payroll and budget. While employed for the US Coast Guard, Civil Engineering Department, I worked for both civilians and active military. The position was only term and the employee was sent overseas and I could not permanently fill the position. My most enjoyable experience was working for the geologists at the Bureau of Land Management. I had a wonderful boss and learned a lot about mining and testing the land for minerals. Unfortunately, again, my civil service career came to a halt as my office was relocated to Anchorage. My spouse at the time was unwilling to make a move and I was offered early retirement. I
  more... was not ready for retirement nor am I now. I am seeking a permanent position where I can retire with generous benefits.  less
Pros
traveling for business throughout alaska, maryland and california.
Good pay, benefits and time off, worst employer I ever worked for.
Pilot/Chief mate (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKAugust 16, 2012
I worked aboard their ships as a licensed officer. The job was great as was the time off and benefits i knew over the years most of the 800 some employees.

The worst part of job was dealing with the management which was the most incompetent ship management I have ever seen.. The management was hyper inflated with far to high a ratio of administrative employees to vessel employees. Almost none of middle management had any practical working knowledge of ships. Worse yet the upper level and top management were almost all ex-military, hired on the assumption that military administrative values transfer to non military organizations. A presumption without substantiation or factual validation. I suspect because there was no commercial impetus for efficient operation that this carried into the administrative mindset. To a person, once the original management (with commercial background) from the founding of the ferries had retired, the management that replaced them had no background in RO/RO ferries. The management went out of their way to engender poor employee/employer relations with the employees, not out of economic s or but because they could. Simply put it was the worst employer I have ever worked for in terms of employer/employee relations.As a senior officer it was a continual battle to keep the ships up to par and because management had little or no practical background it made it difficult. Even the commercial administrators who did have nodding ship background and were brought in from outside and therefore had no knowledge of the peculiarities of this ro/ro operation spent
  more... more time screwing with employees than managing the system effectively, I've worked for commercial entities both union and non-union and have never found them to be this badly managed. Perhaps it is just the nature of working for a state or federal bureaucracy.  less
Pros
good pay, benefits and time off.
Cons
a terrible employer in terms of treatment of employees and efficient, knowledgable manangement.
Interim
Interim Legislative Aide to Senator Johnny Ellis (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 11, 2012
Working in a state legislators office during the interim months (May-December) is a departure from the busy months of Alaska's Legislative Session (January-April). The lack of traditional legislative work provides ample time to research and develop potential legislation, interact with constituent groups and develop political strategy for future interactions.

I have learned a great deal about time management, technical writing, interpersonal relationships, and political savvy.

Part of my time working in the Alaska State Legislature was devoted to managing a staff of 8 while maintaining order and security in the Alaska State Senate Chambers. I learned a great deal about managing a young and dynamic staff often with little or no experience in a professional work environment. By working closely with my direct supervisor I was able to maintain high morale and efficiency in the workplace.

The hardest part of my day to day job is creating work for myself while times are slow. I have taken on numerous organizational tasks to limit confusion and increase overall office efficiency but even those tasks cannot be undertaken on a consistent basis.

I enjoy the up close and personal look at the complex process of making state law, working with lawmakers of all political parties and being part of the history of the state of Alaska. No other job I've had has been as rewarding.
Pros
opportunity for advancement, professional connections and an expanded understanding of the lawmaking process.
Cons
moving to juneau
Good over all but far from perfect
Technician (Former Employee) –  JuneauJuly 27, 2014
The good old boy system and nepotism are both alive and well, particularly in Juneau. The management was not adequately competent to effectively manage the technologies and talent that were at their disposal. One of my co-workers would occasionally throw temper tantrums at me and management would not address the matter until I threatened outside legal action. Shirking and incompetence are tolerated due to being protected by a union and management not being willing to take on the union. Discrimination is rampant. I personally either witnessed or experienced discrimination for reasons of age, race, gender and not being from Alaska originally or having not lived there for many years. Most of the people there are friendly and helpful, but when they are not it can drastically effect your ability to do your job and there is no recourse because it is a small area and managers have known each other for many years, frequently play sports together and or go to the same gym,etc., and will not act if it could potentially put them in a contentious situation.
Pros
reasonally good pay and benefits. job security if you can stand living in juneau.
Cons
apathetic and marginally competent management. extremely expensive housing. expensive medical care.
Generally easy shift, good staff support, gym for staff,cook outs on a regular basis.
License Practical nurse (Former Employee) –  Eagle River, AKAugust 30, 2015
Good staff support, as this was a high stress job where the work situation could become explosive, all Staff would protect each other in case of an altercation . Both medical and Correctional staff would work as a team to difuse and hostile situation. There was general laughter, jokes on staff, cook outs and of course birthdays celebration and the too soon to retire parties . Of the many duties , my favorite was orientation of new staff . Firm but in a light manner, I would ensure the new person would perform the work as taught.
While everyone has their favorite shift, we kept any differences to a minium by having staff meetings. One of the best policies, was the "Open door Policy" where anyone with a legitimate concern could see the CEO or his assistant to voice their opinion.
As a team we all grew in a professional manner, sometimes the easy way, sometimes the not so easy…but lesson learned .
By not having a regular routine, and always knowing the unexpected
would surly come, kept us on guard.
Boring it was not, challenging was a given.
Pros
Cookouts, retirement parties, Pig out parties
Cons
Constantly having to be aware of possible attack from prisoners, or allegations of any kind.Constanly being expose to HIV, comunical
Difficult, unorganized, hard to do a good job when someone is stabbing you in the back.
Office Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKAugust 27, 2012
Over 70 people work in this office, which is not organized well for function. I learned more about databases for the State of Alaska, and handling angry people. Interpersonal skills were not used in this office and they really need them. The hardest part of the job was having to listen to the babies screaming, as they had visitation with their real parent, obviously the foster parents were doing a better job, a social worker was supposed to set in on these sessions but they were not always there. I took the job to help children, but it became obvious I was not allowed to interfere with the care of the babies while they were here. No two day were alike, but there was always some crisis going on. I received no training of any kind even though I asked for it. Management in this office needs an overhaul.
Pros
no commute, close to my house, and easy to get to work.
Cons
to many to list here, i thought maybe i could help their terrible reputation in the community, and they made it clear that was not possible.
Good schedule of work hours, Enjoyable working in retirement home
Permanent employee (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 29, 2013
Typical day included working throughout the kitchen at the Pioneer Retirement Home. Food service to over 200 elders, that included the preparation of food and dietary drinks. The storage of products, and properly stocking all kitchen products. Being a waiter and general elderly care services. All duties within accordance of the Municipal, State and Federal public health, social and food services. I learned a lot how the flow of big kitchens need to be handled and executed to give people the services they need. Management was good and gave good direction in how to execute the procedures needed. Had a great team of co-workers that knew how to get the job done efficiently and safely. The part least enjoyable about the job was the dishes after breakfast/lunch/dinner service due to serving the entire home at once however not overly consuming. The best part of the job was the free food! Only if there was left over from the food service but the cooks always kept us fed.
Pros
good work schedule and great team of co-workers
Cons
not full time (40 hours) available and dishwashing
The State of Alaska is an employer who is surviving the poor economy and there are many positions open and room for advancements.
Criminal Justice Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJune 24, 2012
I have been working with the State of Alaska for three years now. The State offers excellent pay, benefits, retirement, and paid time off. The State of Alaska does not judge you solely on your education. However, the State of Alaska would rather hire you based on your work ethic and experience. This will allow you to progress throughout your career even without a college degree. If I wasn’t moving to Washington, to escape the cold. I could honestly say that I would have retired with the State of Alaska. They truly know how to take care of their employees and will work with you in every situation that may arise. Just be sure that you can survive and cope with the extreme elements of Alaska.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, great retirement, east to promote within, can be hired solely on your work experience.
Very detailed and proffesional work ethic with a laid back enviroment
Investigator II (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AlaskaAugust 26, 2014
One begins the day reviewing cases and responding to emails. Then follow up with open cases while responding to incoming scene responses throughout the state of Alaska. Some scenes require travel most do not. My co-workers are professional and courteous. Some more positive than others. The hardest part of this job to me is responding to child and infant deaths. I believe you are not normal if this does not affect you in some way. What I do love about this job is that it's something different everyday and not stuck in a rut or same old routine. The office is always open for broadening training and letting you attend educational conferences pertaining to the field of work.
Pros
great learning enviroment, travel, laid back atmosphere
Cons
long hours, short lunches, short staffed
Interesting
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKAugust 5, 2015
I could have done almost no work and had an extended career. Unfortunately I am not wired that way and I implemented change. Change that streamlined budget, staffing and production. Very successful. However, new administration needed more malleable people to work with and I became expendable.

Best team of people I ever worked with and I enjoyed every minute.

Hardest part was not being able to convince executives to allow the team to continue on the path we had analyzed and determined to be the best for future growth. No vision from leadership.

Interestingly enough after I was gone, the State implemented my plan. (our Plan as many people contributed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Exempt employee, had a resignation letter on file at all times.

Want to know more about State of Alaska?

Ask a question
Never a dull moment
Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 2, 2013
Every day you walk in the door there is a new challenge. Some days it's quiet for the first 5 minutes or so and then the boss shows up or you start reading e-mail. Everything from providers who are buying each other's businesses and not notifying us so that certain processes can be followed to equipment that has gone down for common or sometimes mysterious reasons.
I loved being apart of a family like team writing procedures, tutorials, designing forms and even writing and re-writing regulations related to our work.
Pros
the people, bosses, co-workers, supervisors, clients & providers
Cons
no upward advancement
Productive and quiet office with great views
Adminitrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 17, 2015
I work on the top floor of an office building overlooking a great fishing creek that is widely known for the salmon that swim there. I also look east to the mountains and have seen many beautiful sunrises there as well as felt a few earthquakes. I live 50 miles away and hate the commute of poor drivers. I am putting 10 miles a day on my truck. It isn't what I want to do, commute so far. I end up spending 10 hours a week just sitting in my truck in traffic.
Pros
Beautiful views
Cons
too far if you don't like to commute and don't mind missing your family
Exceptional experience to experience social services on a state level.
Children's Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKJanuary 9, 2014
I loved the state of Alaska! Alaska was always on my bucket list. I returned to be closer to my family. I'd worked for the Kaibab Band of Paiute Indians, but wanted the experience in social services working for a state agency. Exceptional employees with genuine concern for the community. I travelled a great deal throughout southeast Alaska. Many of the communities I covered could only be reached by ferry or small airplane. The most difficult part of the job is the degree of substance abuse in remote villages and communities. I absolutely loved my experience in Alaska!
Pros
travel to remote villages and interaction with diversified cultures.
Cons
very, very long work hours, degree of substance abuse in the native community, lack of law enforcement backup.
Very productive work place, fast paced and delivered great services to the patrons.
Lead Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Eagle River, AKMarch 18, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of me greetind and helping customers with their purchases. I would make sure that the merchandise was well stocked, and the store clean. I learned how to use a computerized register for sale item and gasoline. The management team was the owners. They were kind and kept the store running effeciently. The hardest part of the job was staying behind the register when therw were no customers in the store because I like to stay busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the customers and making their day better.
Pros
fast paced, meeting new people everyday
Cons
no healthcare plan
Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game outstanding in resource management.
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJanuary 8, 2013
I am grateful for my commercial fishing opportunities and acknoledge the State of Alaska for my benefits in life. The hatcheries throughout the State are self contained resource, that other States should follow. The crab rationalisation now that is a different opinion. Hundreds thrown ashore with no livlihood and I am so thankful for the State of Washington in their effort towards my future in my professional maritime career. Without D.V.R. and their assistance, my conquest could of never of happened. I am so thankful for my M.M.C. and the training in which I acquired throughout the State.
F/V Sea Breaker
F/V Determined
F/V Autumn Dawn
F/V Constellation
F/V Westling
Pros
united states coast guard
Cons
weather
Trying but Satisfying
Investigator III (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 11, 2014
I learned all the ins and outs of taking a criminal case to trial, both misdemeanors and felonies. I spent my day researching documents, listening to interviews, conducting my own interviews, and looking for anything that might assist in defense of our clients. The co-workers are wonderful, most of the people that work here are true believers in the justice system. The hardest part of the job is losing a case that you felt you should have won. The most enjoyable is watching your client receive a not guilty verdict.
Pros
good benefits, stable work
Cons
emotionally draining at times
Great job
Employment Security Specialist lA (Former Employee) –  FairbanksJanuary 8, 2014
I worked at the Unemployment Claim Center, answering phones in a queue, opening unemployment claims and adjudicating nonmonetary decisions. I was hired on long term temporary position. I learned so much about the codes and laws that govern unemployment in the State of Alaska and learned how to be accountable for my work and be more detail oriented. When I worked for them it was the beginning of the federal emergency unemployment compensation and the work load was staggering. The whole office worked productively and diligently under the supervision of the one of the best supervisors that I have ever worked with.
Pros
great teamwork, management and work environment
Cons
was only a temporary position
n/a
Administrative Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 5, 2015
As a professional administrative assistant and project coordinator with over 10 years of experience and an extensive educational background in health and human services,
I have accomplished great success throughout my career, having been tasked with database management, generating reports, detailed research and analysis, managing various projects, and meeting strict deadlines simultaneously while always maintaining strong efficiency and identifying new ways to complete projects in a more efficient manner. I have been responsible for a variety of tasks such as operating numerous budgets, accounts payable, timekeeping and compiling data.
Fast-paced work environment with a variety of tasks.
Ferry Terminal Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AlaskaJune 2, 2014
My position performed a variety of tasks. Selling tickets, customer assistance, answering phones, warehouse management, landscaping, snow-plowing, heavy equipment operating, security, maintain cleanliness of terminal and surrounding areas, tying up large passenger vessels and other duties as needed. My co-workers were wonderful people to work with. The hardest part of my work day would be tying up ships in pouring rain/freezing weather, while helping travelers was my most enjoyable part of my day.
Pros
great benefits, variety of tasks, positive work environment.
Cons
minimal chances to advance.
Great summer job
Aircraft Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 5, 2014
Working fire is a great way to earn money for college, while still attending college. I love the people and the places you get to travel if going on a fire assignment out of state, but it isn't enough to keep someone like me busy year round. It is a seasonal job. The long hours and weeks are manageable for the short amount of time you work there during the year.

Management has been different every year, which makes for a difficult working relationship.

A great college/summer job or for those who have full time jobs in the winter.

4.2