State of Alaska Employee Reviews

Working at the State of Alaska
Eligibility Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 16, 2017
I have loved working for the State of Alaska. Coworkers and supervisors are very helpful and friendly, and there is a good morale.
I love having a job where I can help people. The hardest part of the job is the location at which I work. I work at a dangerous location onh Gambell near the jail and Brother Frances shelter. I would like to work in a safer environment.
Pros
friendly and smart coworkers and supervisors, I get to help people
Cons
Dangerous area of town to work in.
Student worker
Lab proctor (Former Employee) –  Seward, AKOctober 9, 2017
Learned various skills while going to school at AVTEC. Responsible for tutoring and keeping the lab open for business and office students at AVTEC. A professional business setting.
Pros
Many learning opportunites
Cons
short hours
Team players
Office Assistant II/III (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKSeptember 26, 2017
Back up was wonderful but also at the same time a lot of back stabbing. Confusing behavior and commuation with workers. Made it a hostile workplace for bullying and picking on some workers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Break seem to short and training with different people
The Dept of Fish & Game was a great department to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 25, 2017
The environment at the Dept of Fish & Game was pretty relaxed and management worked their best to get everyone to work together to get the job done. It was extremely busy during the summer months and slow during the winter months. The work environment was great as the admin staff from the other divisions would offer their help when it would get overwhelming.
Satisfactory work environment
Rehabilitation Counselor III (Current Employee) –  Kodiak, AKSeptember 23, 2017
Good work environment overall, though clients are spread out over a rural area and travel is necessary. Have to be organized and work independently and be able to develop good working relationships with other agencies.
great people to work with
Eligibility Technician II (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 30, 2017
A typical day was fast paste, stressful and could be overwhelming.
The people you work with are like rocks, you are all going through the same thing so you are each others sounding board.
The work could be very satisfying when you were able to help someone and you get to hear how well they are doing because of your help.
People are always going to have complaints about management, it can be every difficult trying to make everyone happy. However in my position I did not agree with a lot of behind the scene things that happened and our computer system wasn't working, so instead of having my attitude about things effect my work. I chose to leave.

The hardest part of the job was denying people benefits when you know they are struggling.

Helping people was the best part and working with some amazing kind hearted people
Pros
1hr lunch
Cons
working through breaks to get cases done
Fast paced environment in an ever changing fiscal climate
DEPUTY DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Juneau, AKAugust 26, 2017
The State of Alaska is a fast paced workplace with an ever changing fiscal climate. Budget cuts are the name of the game while asking remaining employees to do more.
A great place to work with great benefits
Human Resource Consultant (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKAugust 16, 2017
A great place to work with great benefits. Mostly unionized work environment. Great benefits. Great employee recognition and a great employee working culture.
Overall excellent experience and workplace
Administrative Assistant, Fish and Game Tech III (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 9, 2017
The state of Alaska was a great employer. It was varied and the majority of my supervisors were intelligent, fair, and extremely competent. I had served 20 years in the U.S. Army and enjoyed the flexibility and easier work environment that the state provided. The vast majority of my co-workers turned into friends. Even though retired I still stay in touch with a lot of retired and still active state workers. I had a full 20 year career with the state with a defined benefit plan that was and is excellent. I would recommend the State of Alaska to any individual that would be interested in working or living in the state of Alaska.

Typical day. 7.5 hours.

Hardest: Hostile Lawyers, subpoenas, hearing officer contracts.

Most enjoyable: feeding rainbow trout, discussing genetic markers with brilliant scientists and mathematic genius level individuals.

What I learned: The state is a lot easier place to work than the United States Army.
Pros
Varied environments.
Cons
Tough when dealing with hearings involving teacher discipline
Tough place to work with a family.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 24, 2017
It was very hard to have a work and life balance. I would not recommend this agency to someone with small children. Other than that, the benefits were good.
Stable, cubicle job with great benefits
Child Support Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 22, 2017
With state government changing significantly over the years, the workload is increasing while the workers are decreasing. This is a great place to work to keep your day busy!
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Increased health care cost
Professional work atmosphere with great people!
Counseling & Benefit Education Manager (Current Employee) –  Juneau, AKJune 29, 2017
I work in a very challenging position where I have been give near total autonomy of the Benefit and Education team. We work with over 250 employers and 18K members on pension and medical benefits. We travel the State of Alaska and provide onsite education events and we also provide ongoing webinar and on demand educational events. Because Alaska is such a big state, we have found that it is impossible to reach every employee on a personal level. Therefore, this year, I have developed a new team that's been creating online video presentations that can be viewed by employers and members 24/7. So far it has been absolutely successful!
Pros
Very independent work atmosphere.
St of AK
Mental Health Clinician II (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKMay 2, 2017
The work is challenging but exciting.
The workplace is adequate but no privacy as a therapist this is a bit challenging at times
My manger lives and works in Anchorage which can be hard
I have a clinical supervisor who lives in Juneau
Pros
Work with PO's
Cons
No private office for therapist can be challeging
Investigator III (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 20, 2017
workplace culture is minimal supervision, finding people for interviews, paperwork, working environment great, work space limited, no privacy, location is good
Pros
Minimal Supervision
Friendly co-workers
DMV Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 5, 2017
I enjoyed learning a new industry. The typing and data entry were easy enough but some of the different situations were a little confusing to me especially commercial rules and regulations.
Accounting Technician
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKMarch 14, 2017
Worked with several departments in the budget process. Worked with DEC in 2001 - 2002. Worked with electronic financial systems - created summary for line item expenditures in the budget process.
Pros
Excellent Benefits - health, vacation
Cons
Husband ath the time was stationed with Coast Guard - required moving every 2 years
Good work environment
Regulations Review Aide/Rules Committee Aide (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 17, 2017
Every day was unique and different with new challenges and issues to work on. The State of Alaska has many interesting and exciting jobs to offer.
Administrative Asst / Unit Clerk
Administrative Clerk II / Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 6, 2017
I liked interacting with clients about everyday life stuff. I like that I was able to put them at ease about the location and security of their belongings and monies.
Pros
Interacting with clients
Cons
Interacting with unprofessional co-workers
A great place to work.
Project Analyst/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 18, 2016
Jobs with the state offers great opportunities to advance your career. The most important part of the job were the people. Alaska is a great place to and and it has a very diverse population.
Pros
Great healthcare benefits.
Cons
Administrative changes with new elected officials.
Loved the job
Tax Technician IV (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 18, 2016
I enjoyed the work and my co-workers. I loved working with the taxpayers and I found them to always be pleasant and helpful.

There was a major change in the management after the retirement of some key people. The drastic differences in the management styles has caused more than half of the department to leave or retire.
Pros
The State offers wonderful benefits.
Cons
Too many managers, not enough staff to do the work.