State of Alaska Employee Reviews

Supportive to the notion of career advancement and self-improvement
Critical Infrastructure Protection Supervisor (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Benefits and Retirement
Cons: Low pay, low recognition, resistant to change
The State of Alaska provides supportive management and well-rounded training. The culture is conducive to employee compliance, but unfortunately, the low pay leads to high turnover, which leads to inconsistent management practices.
Great place to work and have great management
Tax Technician III (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKJuly 9, 2015
Leaned different tax types such as mining, vehicle rental, motor fuel, and currently learning how to process the marijuana tax types. I have also learned how to process tobacco stamp orders.
Work review
Office Assistant II (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Steady paycheck
Cons: Red tape, politics
Interesting work place. Not all about the numbers but how you grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape, but this is expected with state government.
Great job security!
Contracting Officer (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 4, 2015
A nice company to work for - the people are very nice and the work is challenging. This job allows you to experience a number of different types of tasks and the variety makes for a very interesting work day.
A very rewarding position in assisting others making it a great job each and every day.
Vocational Rehabilitation Assistant II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 26, 2015
Pros: Great co-workders, money and benefits
Cons: Administration conflict
I always went to the office early, to get the day started to be prepared for clients to come through the door. I worked with many great co-workers to assisted me in any and all questions I may of had in order to assist any and all people with disabilities to obtain and maintain employment. I always enjoyed it when people became successful in their life and become independent.
Working for the DMV
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 16, 2015
A typical day would include providing excellent customer service and being multifaceted to handle anything that comes your way. Enjoying people was the most important part. I enjoyed my interactions with all customers and supervising out of town offices in the rural areas of Alaska.
Challenging, exciting, and demanding work
Legislative staff (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 8, 2015
Working for the Alaska State Legislature is not especially demanding during the interim (i.e., when the legislature is not in session) -- but during session you will never work harder in your life. The – more... ability to work long hours in an intense environment on issues of great importance is a must. The work is often frustrating and stressful, but can also be quite rewarding, and the experience is invaluable. In the day-to-day work, conscientiousness, work ethic and attention to detail are the most important needed characteristics of a staffer -- but when session is wrapping up and the pressure increases, resourcefulness, perception and judgment become of critical importance. – less
State of Alaska
Natural Resource Technician II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 6, 2015
Pros: Ability to go to school and work.
This is a good place to start from the bottom and work your way up. There is a lot of good informative classes to go to, as well as outside classes. In most cases you can ask for help if stuck, and determine if you are in need of more work if you are inclined to want more work. It is multifaceted and can lead to better things.
Great college job
Juvenile Justice Officer (Former Employee), Nome, AKMay 5, 2015
Very rewarding. Great place to fell like you are making a difference in someones life. Truly gained new respect for tough situations.
Safety
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Feeling gratified at end of day, driving home.
Cons: Challenges of personalities.
A typical day in law enforcement was supervising 80+ people a day. I learned about how difficult it can be with the challenges of caring for their needs in a confined space. Keeping peace and safety for – more... public as well as the employed and incarcerated.
The co-workers gave the best support and were always available.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes, meeting the needs of the amount of people in a day was not going to happen.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with, my fellow co-workers. – less
Working for the State of Alaska was a blessing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKFebruary 12, 2015
Provided support to a staff of 85 employees.

I learned so much working for the Dept. of Public Assistance.

My co-workers were great with helping understanding the requirements of the state.
n/a
Administrative Clerk III (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKFebruary 5, 2015
As a professional administrative assistant and project coordinator with over 10 years of experience and an extensive educational background in health and human services,
I have accomplished great success – more... throughout my career, having been tasked with database management, generating reports, detailed research and analysis, managing various projects, and meeting strict deadlines simultaneously while always maintaining strong efficiency and identifying new ways to complete projects in a more efficient manner. I have been responsible for a variety of tasks such as operating numerous budgets, accounts payable, timekeeping and compiling data. – less
Dynamic office job with a variety of duties
College Intern I/II (Former Employee), Juneau, AKJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule for educational advancements, good pay.
Cons: limited hours could work within, was a desk job and generally very sedentary, no benefits as an intern.
My position at the State of Alaska, Division of Retirement and Benefits was overall positive. I worked as a college intern and was able to make my own schedule as long as it was within business hours and I did not work more than 7.5 hours in a day. I was able to learn a great deal of clerical and other office experience during my time at this time.
Corrections in Alaska
Corrections Officer II (Current Employee), Seward, AKDecember 15, 2014
Pros: lots of ot
Cons: the inmates
I enjoy the busy work.
I feel I can manager any issues.
Co-workers are mostly A peronally which I work well with.
I have learned alot while working here.
Pay is good.
Enjoy the OT and the new paychecks.
Medical is outstanding as well.
Pleasure to Work Here
Accounting Technican II (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKNovember 25, 2014
I appreciate the benefits the State provides, the work hours are superb! The best part of the job are my co workers, they make the day and job much easier. Learning new things on the job helps me understand and provide better experiences to the public.
Productive and fun workplace with a tight knit group.
Office Assistant II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKNovember 21, 2014
Working for the State of Alaska Department of Transportation is never dull, everyday is different. It is a very upbeat and positive work environment with a friendly bunch of co-workers. The hardest part of the job would have to be disgruntled callers who dislike the road construction and upgrades. Aside from that, there isn't much to keep one from enjoying this complex work environment.
Great Benefits
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee), Kenai, AKOctober 16, 2014
Great place of employment. Co-workers are all great to get along with. Hardest part of job is trying to stay awake on night shift. Learned how to be a better officer with all the training that was giving to me.
Laid back and Fun
Office Assistant II (Former Employee), Juneau, AKSeptember 12, 2014
Making copies, filing and getting mail, keeping the log up to date.
Great summer job
Aircraft Dispatcher (Former Employee), Fairbanks, AKSeptember 5, 2014
Working fire is a great way to earn money for college, while still attending college. I love the people and the places you get to travel if going on a fire assignment out of state, but it isn't enough – more... to keep someone like me busy year round. It is a seasonal job. The long hours and weeks are manageable for the short amount of time you work there during the year.

Management has been different every year, which makes for a difficult working relationship.

A great college/summer job or for those who have full time jobs in the winter. – less
Very detailed and proffesional work ethic with a laid back enviroment
Investigator II (Current Employee), Anchorage, AlaskaAugust 26, 2014
Pros: great learning enviroment, travel, laid back atmosphere
Cons: long hours, short lunches, short staffed
One begins the day reviewing cases and responding to emails. Then follow up with open cases while responding to incoming scene responses throughout the state of Alaska. Some scenes require travel most – more... do not. My co-workers are professional and courteous. Some more positive than others. The hardest part of this job to me is responding to child and infant deaths. I believe you are not normal if this does not affect you in some way. What I do love about this job is that it's something different everyday and not stuck in a rut or same old routine. The office is always open for broadening training and letting you attend educational conferences pertaining to the field of work. – less