State of Alaska Employee Reviews

Loved the job
Tax Technician IV (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 18, 2016
I enjoyed the work and my co-workers. I loved working with the taxpayers and I found them to always be pleasant and helpful.

There was a major change in the management after the retirement of some key people. The drastic differences in the management styles has caused more than half of the department to leave or retire.
Pros
The State offers wonderful benefits.
Cons
Too many managers, not enough staff to do the work.
A great place to work.
Project Analyst/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 18, 2016
Jobs with the state offers great opportunities to advance your career. The most important part of the job were the people. Alaska is a great place to and and it has a very diverse population.
Pros
Great healthcare benefits.
Cons
Administrative changes with new elected officials.
Ok
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKOctober 21, 2016
Decent benefits, weekends off. Paid vacation time, good pro accrual.

Automatic pay increases. Union work, easy to transfer within departments. Free training classes.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
Bad managers
Public Defender Agency - Best awkward place to work ever
Analyst/Programmer II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 15, 2016
Working with the criminal justice system one gets to see many things from disturbing to outrageous. This is the best job I have ever had working with people who exemplify professionalism and good character. There is a lot of pressure because lives are at stake but the Lawyers and staff who work here handle it wonderfully if not at times disturbingly. They celebrate success, and are quick to offer encouragement for failures.
Management is understanding and cooperative, there are only a few I can think of who struggle with work/life balance mostly in "upper management." Just do you job, come to me with solutions, don't waste my time are the basic expectations and they really aren't difficult to accomplish. One would be very blessed to take a position with this agency.
Great place
Maintenance Generalist (Former Employee) –  Palmer, AKMarch 6, 2016
Working for the State of Alaska is a great experience. Great Managment and people. It is great to work around educated people. You can only work 7.5 hours per day due to the fact that State employees are furloughed. Working 37.5 hours per week is great to spend more time with family. The benefits are fair as well as the pay. Vacation accrues fairly fast, and again allows more time to be around family and friends.

I recommend this employer for anyone that cares about their mental health and strong family values.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Fair wage
Mature government operation - predictable
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKJune 22, 2016
Direct management was solid. Upper management were political appointees - not always tuned to operations. This job was mostly about following the annual cycle, although there were interesting side projects. Encountered some staff that were simply grinding out the days till retirement, although daily managers made every effort to make the days worthwhile.

Learned new productivity software and was able to provide training for division staff.

Hardest part: government bureaucracy was often very illogical and change resistant

Best part: Great supervisor, excellent team members
Pros
Working with state economists, opportunities to present training
Cons
Some petty infighting
Interesting
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKAugust 5, 2015
I could have done almost no work and had an extended career. Unfortunately I am not wired that way and I implemented change. Change that streamlined budget, staffing and production. Very successful. However, new administration needed more malleable people to work with and I became expendable.

Best team of people I ever worked with and I enjoyed every minute.

Hardest part was not being able to convince executives to allow the team to continue on the path we had analyzed and determined to be the best for future growth. No vision from leadership.

Interestingly enough after I was gone, the State implemented my plan. (our Plan as many people contributed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Exempt employee, had a resignation letter on file at all times.
Great opportunity for advancement, growth and long-term security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKDecember 7, 2015
My family moved to Alaska for Military obligations upon several Tours of Duty. I found it amazing in so many ways and was able to learn a lot and appreciate the nature. I found employment for the State of Alaska Government Center full of training, opportunities and enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities, training and people
Cons
The standard amount of red-tape and politics.
Administrative Asst / Unit Clerk
Administrative Clerk II / Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 6, 2017
I liked interacting with clients about everyday life stuff. I like that I was able to put them at ease about the location and security of their belongings and monies.
Pros
Interacting with clients
Cons
Interacting with unprofessional co-workers
Not proper training
Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 27, 2016
Was thrown into my position without proper training and working for a civilian that does not fully understand law enforcement.
Pros
Awesome hours
Cons
Management is not very helpful
Friendly staff
Office Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Juneau, AK 99801May 5, 2016
Very fast paste environment, multiple duties from 8-4:30. I have learned a lot from WANS to distributing in bound mail to scanning confidential documents in to file folders sorting and disregarding return mail. My management staff are so wonderful, well knowledge people and always there to help with work load if need and/or questions. On the other hand my co-worker, well i feel like this team is the best that i have ever worked with in all my adult life so far. I would have to say that there is no hard part about my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is that i get to see a wide variety my peers and co-workers with a smile on their faces no matter how bad the work load is .
Pros
Friendly but professional, easy days and aloud to have headphones on to work
Cons
no cons
I like working here
JJO (Former Employee) –  AlaskaNovember 14, 2016
This is a demanding job that expects safety and security at all times. Integrity and honesty along with respect and accountability is what is expected here.
Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game outstanding in resource management.
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJanuary 8, 2013
I am grateful for my commercial fishing opportunities and acknoledge the State of Alaska for my benefits in life. The hatcheries throughout the State are self contained resource, that other States should follow. The crab rationalisation now that is a different opinion. Hundreds thrown ashore with no livlihood and I am so thankful for the State of Washington in their effort towards my future in my professional maritime career. Without D.V.R. and their assistance, my conquest could of never of happened. I am so thankful for my M.M.C. and the training in which I acquired throughout the State.
F/V Sea Breaker
F/V Determined
F/V Autumn Dawn
F/V Constellation
F/V Westling
Pros
united states coast guard
Cons
weather
The State of Alaska is an employer who is surviving the poor economy and there are many positions open and room for advancements.
Criminal Justice Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJune 24, 2012
I have been working with the State of Alaska for three years now. The State offers excellent pay, benefits, retirement, and paid time off. The State of Alaska does not judge you solely on your education. However, the State of Alaska would rather hire you based on your work ethic and experience. This will allow you to progress throughout your career even without a college degree. If I wasn’t moving to Washington, to escape the cold. I could honestly say that I would have retired with the State of Alaska. They truly know how to take care of their employees and will work with you in every situation that may arise. Just be sure that you can survive and cope with the extreme elements of Alaska.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, great retirement, east to promote within, can be hired solely on your work experience.
Great job
Employment Security Specialist lA (Former Employee) –  FairbanksJanuary 8, 2014
I worked at the Unemployment Claim Center, answering phones in a queue, opening unemployment claims and adjudicating nonmonetary decisions. I was hired on long term temporary position. I learned so much about the codes and laws that govern unemployment in the State of Alaska and learned how to be accountable for my work and be more detail oriented. When I worked for them it was the beginning of the federal emergency unemployment compensation and the work load was staggering. The whole office worked productively and diligently under the supervision of the one of the best supervisors that I have ever worked with.
Pros
Great teamwork, management and work environment
Cons
Was only a temporary position
Supportive to the notion of career advancement and self-improvement
Critical Infrastructure Protection Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 24, 2015
The State of Alaska provides supportive management and well-rounded training. The culture is conducive to employee compliance, but unfortunately, the low pay leads to high turnover, which leads to inconsistent management practices.
Pros
Benefits and Retirement
Cons
Low pay, low recognition, resistant to change
Fast-paced work environment with a variety of tasks.
Ferry Terminal Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AlaskaJune 2, 2014
My position performed a variety of tasks. Selling tickets, customer assistance, answering phones, warehouse management, landscaping, snow-plowing, heavy equipment operating, security, maintain cleanliness of terminal and surrounding areas, tying up large passenger vessels and other duties as needed. My co-workers were wonderful people to work with. The hardest part of my work day would be tying up ships in pouring rain/freezing weather, while helping travelers was my most enjoyable part of my day.
Pros
Great benefits, variety of tasks, positive work environment.
Cons
Minimal chances to advance.
State of Alaska / Accountant II
Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Juneau, AKDecember 6, 2013
A typical day at work involves routine and structure. I learned to request additional work to keep busy and contribute to the work environment. Management varies, best recommendation is to establish expectations of the working relationship to maximize potential. Generally co-workers are friendly, helpful, and cooperative. The hardest part of the job is to get your supervisors to delegate additional duties. The most enjoyable part of the job is the environment including the pleasant co-workers.
Pros
Benefits, Job security
State of Alaska- Es
Environmental Service Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKAugust 21, 2015
I like working for the state it has great benefits. I do think that they should get paid more espescially in my department . The management that i am under i do not think they do there jobs accordly to the policy and procedures i have gone to chain of command when issues arrised did not like the outcome; nothing got done.
Pros
health
Cons
Drive
Dynamic office job with a variety of duties
College Intern I/II (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKJanuary 15, 2015
My position at the State of Alaska, Division of Retirement and Benefits was overall positive. I worked as a college intern and was able to make my own schedule as long as it was within business hours and I did not work more than 7.5 hours in a day. I was able to learn a great deal of clerical and other office experience during my time at this time.
Pros
Flexible schedule for educational advancements, good pay.
Cons
Limited hours could work within, was a desk job and generally very sedentary, no benefits as an intern.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Alaska. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2