State of Arizona Employee Reviews

The job was fantastic the management of the Business office could have been better
Accounting Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 12, 2017
The job was great. I enjoyed going to work and doing my job. It was just not appreciated. The job was challenging as required you to think. You also had to be aware of your surroundings for safety as you were in a prison. The majority of the people employed were very helpful.
Benefits
Cons
Fun and challengiing work place
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2017
Enjoy meeting new incoming State workers, Customer Service
New Management
Job stability
variety of work assignments
Printing training materials
Working with Trainers

Job becomes stressful at times
Pros
Holiday pay, benefits
Cons
Not enough pay
what i learned
Floor Technician/Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 11, 2017
I had gained skills that I never learned before and i'm very grateful that I went through the things that I went through.
it was the most enjoyable time of m life
Pros
workplace culture
Program Service Evaluator
Program Service Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, aZDecember 7, 2017
Hourly pay is on the lower end of the spectrum for the position (just above most entry-level positions), however the sick leave, paid time off, and excellent health benefits add to the overall value of working for the State of Arizona.

Day-to-day is generally busy. Expectations are high that you continuously meet performance standards in terms of quantity of clients seen and quality of cases completed. That said, training is adequate and does prepare you for the job.
Expect to have a constant flow of clients (and families) waiting to be seen/interviewed and a fairly noisy office environment as a result.
Pros
Benefits, Fairness, Training
Cons
Hourly wage, minimal OT, noisy office environment
Great Place
Public Records Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ArizonaDecember 6, 2017
just keep to yourself and you will have no trouble. Government has every department working on Kaizan where you meet up every morning to brainstorm with your section on how to improve you day to day work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No raises unless you promote
Fair place to be
Program Service Evaluator III (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 5, 2017
Working with the State can be very challenging, especially working face to face with strangers, but the benefit is the joy of helping others. Also, if you don't like change the states process changes often.
Pros
Joy of helping others
Cons
Changes are often
no comment
Program Services Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZDecember 3, 2017
No matter how many years you work here you will still be treated like a number. Management cares little about you. All they want is more, more, more.
Pros
days off
Great Job but too much on the dinner plate
Program Service Evaluator III (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZNovember 29, 2017
The client are great if you are open to have good conversations. The clients don't push out the employees and many believe this but management is a headache and ask of you way too much. Its overwhelming, stressful, and low paid for the amount of work that is tossed to the employee.
Pros
clients/ coworkers/ weekends off/ steady scheule.
Cons
Managment/ HR / policy/ procedures/ workloads/ low pay
Typical State Government
Development (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 28, 2017
Large state government agency without much influence. Salaries are too low to compete with private sector. Good people, dedicated to serving citizens. Many lines of business, with complex funding.
Pros
Holidays, vacation days
Cons
Politics
Supportive and positive work enviornment
Eligibility Worker (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 25, 2017
Would encourage anyone to work for the State of Arizona. The work is challenging and rewarding. All the supervisors are their to assist you with any questions you have. Their patient and knowledgeable.
Lots of work, not a lot of pay
Program Service Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 24, 2017
Plenty to do, wages do not increase when minimum wage increases. Health/vision/dental for a single individual is great. Large caseloads are stressful.
excellent
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 23, 2017
Good people good work enviroment . Team work and the opportunity to help the publc..I enjoyed going to work and having a different experience everyday.
Pros
training
Cons
oo
PSE 1 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 22, 2017
One of the best jobs I ever, had, Just sorry it was temp. I would return if allowed to, . great benefits, retirement vacation, great wages, Great benefits.
Pros
M-F weekends off
Cons
temp
Don’t do it.
DCS (Current Employee) –  StatewideNovember 21, 2017
As a DCS Specialist, your expected to fit in a high work load in your 40 hour work week. It’s really impossible to do. You can’t get all of the work that they give you done. You would have no home life. If you work overtime, the management wants you to take time off versus get paid for it. You already have too much to do in your work week, let alone asked to take time off. If you have a degree, apply it elsewhere where your appreciated and not worked to death. When people quit (which happens often), you have to take that persons work load and split it between all of the other case managers. They don’t adequately train you. They send you to what’s called “CORE” for 4 weeks and then throw you to the wolves. They put you up at nice hotels though. As you get your case load after CORE, they then send you to the “Advanced Academy” which is one week a month. You get further behind in your case management. When you get back, your so far behind, you might as well stay at the office all night for the next week. Bottom line is work somewhere where you are appreciated and not taken advantage of.
Pros
Great insurance.
Cons
See below.
Ahcccs state Admin Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2017
my supervisor in AHCCCS is an awesome person to work for, perfection about her work, a go getter, best trainer by for. the staff all so present to be apart of such a group of co workers.
terrible
BHT (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2017
Poor management, difficult to work with very high restrictions on what you can and cannot do
-liked my peers
-disgusted with management
-great benefits if your looking to retire
-horrible pay to compensate amount of stress levels
awful place
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 20, 2017
DES is a stressful place to work, you never know if your going to be walked out, didnt matter how many years you were employed. Numbers only matter, not clients
Pros
manager was great
Cons
everything
A competitive and very busy job.
Facilities Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZNovember 20, 2017
This job was very competitive,fast paced and cut throat for minimal pay.I enjoyed the work. I like to stay busy and productive but parts and material were always unavailable to finish some jobs in a timely manner.My supervisor was a pleasure to work with and even got to learn some new skills about the trade.The hardest part about doing the job was there was more work than the crew can handle at any give time.
Pros
Free Lunch and work experience.
Cons
Excessive security.
Eligibility Interviewer/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 19, 2017
I worked with the State for over 10 years and really enjoyed what I was doing. I could see that I made a difference in people's lives and that made me feel good about what I did. I felt support from most of the administration, and was recognized for the work I did.
Pros
salary and benefits
Caring People
Program Service Evaluator II (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 18, 2017
Co-workers and supervisors worked hard to provide services to people in need. Able to feel as though you're making a contribution to society. The building was old and had no windows, air conditioning wasn't very good. Most employees have personal fans at their desks.
Pros
Good co-workers, supervisors and managers, excellent training
Cons
Family-work life balance typical of most 9-5 jobs. You have to put your job before everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Arizona. Our community is ready to answer.