State of California Employee Reviews

State of California is a very secure place to work with many benefits
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 14, 2016
My experience with the State of California ranged over 35 years and I most often worked with professionals. The benefits were very good, especially health insurance which is very important now that I am retired. I learned many skills working for the State, including gaining added wisdom in problem solving while working with analysts, which was out of my particular expertise and has helped me in my daily life as well. The most enjoyable part of most of my career has been working with people.
Benefits
Cons
Paying for parking!
Motor Vehicle Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 16, 2016
It is a good job with decent benefits and pay. Most offices are pleasant and employees work well with each other. There is support and encouragement from management to increase your knowledge and upward mobility is promoted.
Pros
Monday through Friday work week, employee discounts, various clubs and organizations to enroll and participate in
Cons
due to sensitive information and high security risks, no internet, cell phones allowed on floor
Great for retirement and general law enforcement experience
Correctional officer (Current Employee) –  State prison, Kern CountyJune 19, 2016
Can go from 0 to 60 in less than a second sometimes. 90 percent boredom to 10 percent pure adrenaline rush but that's ultimately why we get paid so well and why most general public doesn't understand why we get paid what we do. I've been both a street cop and a C/O and they both have their perks and dangers. If you do get hurt, and you will at some point in your career, the workman compensation benefits are awesome. But if you are working in a prison environment, you should already know there are some risks. Overall it has been well worth it.
Pros
Benefits and pay are awesome
Cons
Depending on prison you work, camaraderie among officers is usually better at level 4 prisons
State of California
Investigator, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 19, 2017
State of California tends to want tax payers to adhere and abide by the law. But when the State or the Department is under fire for illicit activities they want employees to change documents, reports and lie.
Benefits
Cons
Government
challenging work
correctionial officer (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJanuary 18, 2017
The job is very sress full,the work is not enjoyable, the benefits are reearding,inmates can be hard at timed to work with.
benefits
Cons
stress
overal rating, job work, culture
Energy and Mineral Resources Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 26, 2016
5 Quick Tips to Earn a Great Job Performance Review
Since great job performance reviews often lead to salary increases, bonuses, promotions and other fantastic rewards, it pays to take the time to prepare for your next review.
Not a bad place
Health Facilities Evaluator Nurse (HFEN) (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJuly 29, 2016
Meetings once a month. Surveys once or twice a month. Investigations of healthcare facilities.
Interviewing clients and staff.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Too many supervisors
great place to work and great benefits
Corporal/Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAApril 10, 2016
A typical day at work was as one would expect for a Police Officer. The best part of the job was my coworkers. My department was like a small second family.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours sometimes exceeding 20 hours straight.
Great job stability and fringe benefits
Associate Government Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 28, 2016
Promotions depend entirely on management - hope you get good people or you will be bypassed for years based on personal bias.
Pros
Job Stability and Benefits - vacation, health, etc.
Cons
Management is whimsical and biased
Good job stability poor office moral
Motor Vehicle Representative (Current Employee) –  CAMarch 29, 2016
The State of CA is a good agency that provides stability, benefits and room for advancement. However there tends to be a lack of moral and respect from management which makes working there very hard and stressful.
If you enjoy sitting on your duff and sucking off the teat of the state, this job is for you!
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Tehachapi, CAFebruary 8, 2017
If you are looking for a place to "park it" as an operator; where you can only get fired for lying on paper, stealing, or being high on drugs, welcome to the State of California.... Pays not bad and a "we'll get it done when we get it done attitude".
Pros
Do what ever you want
Cons
Sitting around all day
a day at work
OFFICE TECHNICIAN/PERSONNEL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 3, 2016
The day would go by fast, due to workload being large. Learn to be patience when dealing with employees benefits and payroll,
Pros
great pay
Cons
management
My carerr with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
Parole Agent III/Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAJanuary 5, 2016
Typical day: Sometimes stressful, but it really is what you make of it.
What I learned: Do not break the law, not take things personal
Management: No different from any company in US
Co-Workers: Same as management (above)
Hardest part of job: May have to use deadly force (possibly)
The most enjoyable part of the job: The many friends I have made, in my career.
Pros
Salary, benefits, flexible work schedule
Cons
Working with convicted felons is sometimes negative
Benefits are good
Office Technician (Former Employee) –  CalPERSJanuary 22, 2017
During my typical workday, I am responsible for overseeing my teams as they progress on various advertising campaigns. I check in and help them with any issues they may be having such as doing mock-ups or securing rights to songs. I keep in touch with clients, update them on our progress and make sure they are satisfied with the promotional materials.
OCGA was a great and fun atmosphere to work. The people were great as was my boss. I truly miss that job.
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buena Park, CAOctober 10, 2016
Working for Orange County Gaming Association was a thrill. I learned a lot about CCG (Collectible Card Games ) and pretty much ran the store. My duties consisted of placing orders to restock, taking orders from various clients who were looking for specialty cards. Bookkeeping was another one of my duties as was opening and closing the store. Learning and Understanding the card games was a must as was being able to teach those who were new to the CCG genre. Going to gaming conventions was another part of my duties and although it was fun it was work. I was there to test new games and then report to my boss about them. By doing this, this allowed for my boss to determine whether or not if we should invest in said game.
Pros
Responsibility, Teaching, Great Atmosphere, Learing new things.
Cons
Not being listened to.
Not productive work environment, told to slow down as to not out shine other staff
Payroll Specialist State Controller (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 29, 2015
I wanted to work for the State of CA for the retirement and health benefits however I am very board. This is not a challenging position and it is not somewhere that I can grow. There are many people in this department who are not happy and the overall moral is very low. i want a position where I can work hard each day and be a productive member of the team, not told to slow down.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
not productive
fast paced
Franchise Tax Board/Key Data Operator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 13, 2016
fast paced environment working to input tax information. I learned a lot of different codes and ways to apply them. Not only that but my 10kspm increased dramatically. You worked independently but management was always there to answer questions. The hardest part of the job was getting paid once a month.
Pros
overtime offered
Cons
paid once a month
Overall. Life is great.
Motor Vehicle Field Rep (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 28, 2016
My typical day at work was always a good one.

I've learned plenty. People observe your day more than you know.

First management group was AWESOME!!!

Other Management is threatened when they discover they don't enjoy their job or they don't have more then one trade in life.

Co-workers and I normally get along if the age group is close and people who are older normally love me like their kid they want to disown but can't. :)

The hardest part of the job is making everyone happy. Normal days go that way. Even though it was a lot of production.
Pros
Work pays for everything. When it comes to being certified and training.
Cons
People take work for granted
It is a new adventure everyday
Office Services supervisor III (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 22, 2016
A typical day is what you make it. I try to keep a positive atmosphere and upbeat. Most of our working hours are spent at work. I have learned to wager my battles and not to take everything personal. The hardest part of my job is dealing with people that never worked in the private sector, it is definitely a different culture. It almost takes an act of congress to fire someone from a government job, whereas private sector, many of them are at will employers. That changes the dynamic of hard work and a good work ethic.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
difficult personalities
Nice people
Seasonal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cypress, CAFebruary 9, 2016
My typical day is spent scanning information and uploading this information to our website.

The people at work are great and very easy to get along with.

The hardest part of my job is never getting some sort of praise for a job well done or a thank you. And the lack of communication.
Pros
Very flexible with my hours
Cons
Rate of pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of California. Our community is ready to answer.