State of Connecticut Employee Reviews

Decent place to work
Fiscal Officer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJanuary 16, 2018
Decent place to work.Excellent benefits. I learned all aspects of running a business office while working for the State of Connecticut.
Workplace was laid back.
Challenging Environment
Executive Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  BridgeportJanuary 2, 2018
I worked over 17 years in the Governor's Office. I look back and realize how fortunate I was to have worked w/the level of staff I did. They all were professional, fun and dedicated to their jobs. You can't find that high level of people anymore in the State. It was truly the best career/job I ever had. Sincerely miss the people I worked with.
Pros
Staff was professional, minimal pressure, salary, prestige
Cons
Had no voice as Governor staff to the outside world
not fun
Judicial Marshal (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTDecember 28, 2017
Hard to move up, low salary, top tier management does not speak with lower ranking workers, very petty attitudes with most supervisors, would not advise to work here
Advancement was only accorded to a chosen few
REVENUE EXAMINER (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 27, 2017
If you were not well connected, upward mobility was stifled. Good work life balance. Life long education was only supported if your manager approved. Otherwise it was best kept quiet.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Limited upward mobility
A very productive job.
DOT Helper (Former Employee) –  Uncasville, CTDecember 27, 2017
A very hard working job...competitive.Alot of down to earth people.there is always work and a good learning place to.pays real good.Not a lot of overtime.Very respectful work place.
Tons of career opportunities
Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Middletown, CTDecember 23, 2017
Working for the state offers some amazing career opportunities. I started out as the equivalent of a nurse's aide (Mental Health Assistant) in the psychiatric field at $16.75 in 2001 with the state and they pretty much paid 100% (with tuition reimbursement program) for my LPN education, 80% of my RN education, and 75% of my APRN education. Now am an APRN with them at $46/hr. They also had (and still have) a special program called career mobility where you basically show up at your school of choice instead of work for 3 days out of your 5 day work week and you get paid as if you were at work. These are unbelievable educational benefits that you won't find anywhere else! Only downside in working in nursing field is the occasional loss of freedom with *some* nursing jobs when you are forced to work another 8 hours if the next shift staff does not come in for whatever reason. Also, pay rate with state nursing jobs is definitely lower than private sector but well worth trade off in exchange for the educational benefits I mentioned earlier.
Pros
Educational benefits; Lots of different jobs and locations to transfer into, no lifetime cap on maximum $ on medical expenses
Cons
Pay slightly lower than private sector, Forced overtime in some nursing roles.
Office of the State Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 15, 2017
Not Applicable at this time. It is important for me to remain neutral about any opinions regarding position, tasks and duties when holding a Union job.
I am retiring from a 38 year career with the Department of Trans.
Transportation Maintenance Director (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 13, 2017
It has been a great experience. I spent most of my adult life in the Service of my Country and the State of Connecticut. I am recongnized as one of the top leaders in my field. I have been all over the Country and have participated in many College level courses and seminars. The hardest part of my job is the stress level of upper management decisions and the most enjoyable has been working with my staff which I have developed over the years.
Pros
Benefits and Compensation
Cons
Long Hours, especially in the Winter Months
Great per diem position
Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTDecember 10, 2017
I love setting my own schedule. I choose jobs based on my availability. I wish there was less competition but I enjoy collaborating with different agencies and programs across the CT.
Pros
Choose your own schedule
Cons
No benefits or consistent jobs
Work Load
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Torrington, CTDecember 8, 2017
Hi, work at the State of CT is jam packed with a high case load and a lot of work to be done. I go over hours which I am unpaid for, however I enjoy my job and the clientele.
Good steady work
Wastewater Treatment Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CTNovember 28, 2017
Supervisors work well with management. Those in office worked well together as a team to support the trade workers. Management supported the supervisors in accomplishing task.
Pros
Secure place to work
Cons
Always on call and responsible for problems 24/7
productive work place
Juvenile Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 27, 2017
I loved working with the youth it was like a prison setting but to have conversations with the detainees and listening to their stories made me have a better understanding about them and the life they lead
Great
Engineer II, Department of Transportation (Former Employee) –  CTNovember 17, 2017
Great Place to start your career. Learning how state government works help you to understand the private sector as well. Excellent experience and team work.
I was at my happiest when I worked there
Court Recording Monitor (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CTNovember 16, 2017
The office was quiet and clean. The people who worked there as a whole were well-liked and sincere. It was a joy to get up and get ready for work every day and I always had a smile on my face.
Policy and Planning Review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTNovember 15, 2017
Provide direct assistance to Bureau Chief and Director of Dept., of Policy and Planning, basic workday as follows: managing emails, calendars and meetings, accordingly. Produce, review and prepare correspondence, as directed. Provided excellent customer service whether on the phone, or greeting customers.Supervised 3 clericals, held quarterly meetings to discuss workflows, any new updates/information within their respective units. Utilized Microsoft Office

Management: Bureau, Director and 4 Assistant Directors. Bureau Chief reported directly to the Commissioner of Transp.

Learned about new projects within the units, i.e, environmental, GIS and more.

Workplace culture; pleasant working environment. Always willing to assist employees for any workshops that would be beneficial to their jobs.

Hardest part of job; not being able to cross train within other units, (5) if required as positions became vacant.

Most enjoyable; representing the Bureau Chief's office in maintaining a positive, courteous, and friendly attitude.
Pros
healthcare benefits, retirement benefits, paid vacation/sick time
Cons
phone systems (very outdated0
Productive and Day goes Fast
Processing/Mail Processor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 7, 2017
Once I am given my work for the day, I am so busy that I don't even stop to look up and see what time it is. I have to be told when to take a break and when lunchtime arrives I have to be told because I am so into my production and getting it out for the day.
Pros
Lunch half hour is fine for me.
Cons
Human Rescoures will help there employees.
great career opportunities
DeputyWarden (Former Employee) –  Wethersfield, CTOctober 24, 2017
Outstanding career with the Connecticut Department of Corrections. Many opportunities for advancement and options for different job functions. Recommend to anyone.
The State of CT is becoming a more stressful place to work.
LCSW (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 18, 2017
The State of CT is becoming a more stressful. As a social worker, it appears that the focus is on the extensive amount of paper work, and the politics, and less the people they service.
Pros
Salary, time off and the clients
fast paced
Examiner (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTOctober 17, 2017
Very fast paced work day. Attention to detail is key. Keep busy, doing your job, and management is happy. My daily challenge is to ensure all customers leave happy.
Simple & Effective
Support Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 16, 2017
There is always plenty to do, great group of people you work with. The benefits are pretty good as well, people eager to help. Depending on the state budge could be a little scary at times.