State of Delaware Employee Reviews

Investigate Ins Co
Investigator II -- Consumer Services (Current Employee) –  Dover, DESeptember 19, 2017
Investigate consumer complaint about ins co in Delaware to make sure the insurance company if following all the laws. To make consumers aware of the laws as well.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Need more money
Great to work for the State of Delaware
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, DESeptember 15, 2017
Typical Day - 8 hour work day working with 2 breaks and lunch. Very relaxed, personal office
Management - My last position was a Supervisor with the Division of Social Services. I believe in working "with" my Team to get the job done in an efficient and effective manner that was best for both us and our customers
Workplace culture - relaxed, open, fun, Team work/players. Dress to impress, but able to "be yourself" within dress code limits
Hardest part of the job - reprimanding employees (I would often give chance after chance); I want to give others the opportunity to "fix" their wrong
Most enjoyable part of the job - Working with my Team in getting our customers benefits (Food stamps, Medicaid and Child Care Services) active to eliminate any hardship for the customers (as a Supervisor, I had a "caseload" that I worked as well)
Pros
Beneifts and Leave
Cons
working late hours
General Informatioin
Financial Director (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 8, 2017
You can get promoted with your dept. You make friends as many staff members stay in the positions. Sometimes you are required to do two job assignments as you wait for an replacement.
Pros
Frenids
Cons
Non really
great in some areas lacking in others
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 6, 2017
great pay and benefits. Structure is lacking work area is old out dated and run down. needs alot of upgrades to facility and parking areas. Need better training for attendants. Need to make sure people are a good fit to work with children, some are not patient enough or understanding of special needs children.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
structure training and poor run down facility
Excellent place to work
Telecommunications/Network Technician III (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DESeptember 3, 2017
Enjoy working for the State of Delaware. Great management team, work was fair, environment friendly. Will reapply when opportunity arise. The take home compensation is not that great, however the paid time off, benefits and culture make up for the lack of pay.
Stressful but rewarding
Medicaid (Former Employee) –  DelawareSeptember 1, 2017
Assisting individuals in need is rewarding. Position offered opportunities to do so. Frequent management changes result in unknowns and incomplete answers to vital issues
Pros
Rewarding to assist Delawareans in need
Cons
Management not in touch with Delawareans in Need
Job security was great.
SENIOR SOCIAL WORKER/CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 29, 2017
I learned a lot through free training classes and was paid a decent salary; but overtime was available most of the time; which was much needed. Health coverage was affordable and decent coverage.
Pros
Overtime was often available and lots of free training clases.
Cons
Small salary increases.
Run away
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  DelawareAugust 28, 2017
If you have any kind of a work ethic, this is not the place for you. If you want to work in a place where everyone sits around doing as little as possible for a pay check, you will fit right in.
Pros
Major Medical Insurance
Cons
Everything else.
Consultant
Consultant , Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEAugust 11, 2017
The state of Delaware job was great. The work environment was productive and positive all around experience working for the first state government. I recommend it
Basic Job
Janitor (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEAugust 11, 2017
It was a basic job. Overall, they were very flexible with me when it came to working around an education schedule. I did gain a lot of valuable experience from them as well.
Made a career in the financial/accounting field
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEAugust 1, 2017
I worked for the State of Delaware for twenty years starting as an Account Clerk and advancing through the accounting levels to Senior Accountant. I did all levels of accounting from supervisor of a fiscal office to all areas of budgeting and accounting.
Pros
Work schedule and benefits
Cons
resigned before I was eligible to retire
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Camden, DEJuly 31, 2017
The pay is not the best for the job. Yes, it is usually (at times) an easy job if you show up for just a day, depending on the school, the district, and the type of class.
Executive Assistant to the Public Defender of the State of Delaware
Executive Assistant to the Public Defender (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 17, 2017
I executed and managed correspondence for the Public Defender and Deputy Public Defender. I managed incarcerated clients' correspondence and facilitated weekly arraignments in Superior Court. I also supervised approximately 75 support staff in the 3 counties of Delaware.
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
Not good money
Quick paced work enviroment
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 17, 2017
Overall, I loved working for the State of Delaware. The state really looks out for its employees and gives a lot of opportunity for advancement and cross training
Pros
Great Benifits
Cons
Lots of 16 hour shifts
Good jog exper
Tax Processor (Former Employee) –  State of Delaware ,Revenue DepartmentkJuly 15, 2017
I working for that company., Lot of Opportunity , skill in management, Plain hand on training​, Lot of multi tasking. People are friendly, and I like working the company.
Pros
Bounces
Cons
Promote
Great Atmosphere Pleasant Place to work
Judicial Case Processor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 6, 2017
Everyone is helpful, friendly, and the staff is all willing to lend a helping hand to fellow co workers/teammates.

Very detailed training in first 12 weeks of work
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
Long Probation
Great opportunity for advancement.
Senior Social Worker/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJuly 2, 2017
This division has a great opportunity for advancement. In addition, this organization is a very diverse work place. You will have the opportunity to work in s diverse atmosphere.
Office of Pensions
Senior Human Resource Tech (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJuly 1, 2017
Staff morale is very low. Management watches over your back at all times and monitor how many calls you miss if you happen to step away from your desk. Procedures change daily and it is next to impossible to get them in writing.
Pros
Holidays and Friday casual days
Cons
Micro Management, lack of written policies
Great company
Administrative Specialist III (Office Manager) (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 29, 2017
Typical day was constantly busy. Working for every member of the group to ensure accuracy. Co-workers were more of a family. Morale was high and my direct supervisor personally cared and was passionate about her job which trickled down to her employees.
Good
Administrative Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 26, 2017
Good benefits, good work life balance, lots of resources to do your job, management is fair
Laid back at least my office is
State government employment offers stability, good health benefits

Cons
no raises; always budget concerns
Horrible morale, the pay is horrible, lack of management, there is no commodity, there are no pay raises, no chance for promotion
low pay, little opportunity for advancement