State of Florida Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
A place to learn a lot in all related fields.
Public Assistant Specialist (PAS) Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 20, 2017
Very Calm and enjoyable , specially when you are helping others that are in real need and understanding.
The hardest part of the job is when you are unable to accomplish the goals for the needed.
The best part is when you realized your participation is improving the way of life of this individuals.
Bad place to work
Volunteer Coordinator Construction Trades (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 18, 2017
Not good. Bad place to work. Wouldn't recommend. No benefits. Poor compensation. No privacy whatsoever. No time off. No vacation. No family time. No pay at all.
Pros
Cons
A lot
Not a good work place
Canteen Operator (Former Employee) –  Baker County, FLSeptember 18, 2017
I didn't really like the atmosphere or the environment. The staff was very rude but I was able to keep myself being productive on a daily bases. The pace of work was neutral
Florida Department of Corrections
Correctional Probation Senior Officer (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 11, 2017
Pay not worth the amount of work & stress. After tax bi-weekly check is $1,060. So basically $530 every week. Have to get a 2nd job to live comfortably and pay bills.
Pros
Get 4 hours of annual & sick leave every bi-weekly pay period.
Cons
Pay not worth the amount of work & stress.
Poor management/training
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 11, 2017
The hardest part of the job is the emotional toll of investigating allegations of child abuse. Finding a good work/life balance is also difficult. The pre-service training is minimal and JUST a foundation for the actual work. Management is overworked and rarely available for assistance. Mentorship was promised but not given. The benefits and overtime was good but not worth the overwhelming stress.
Pros
Benefits and overtime pay
Cons
Poor management
Management has lost their focus on the mission of the department... to serve the citizens of the State of Florida
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 4, 2017
After being recruited at a University of North Florida Career Fair and going through a lengthy hiring process, I was surprised at the issues in the policy training program and following training in a transition unit. Throughout the training there is little or no positive re-enforcement for new employees. Every manager who spoke to trainees as a group mentioned the poor pay we received. In the beginning of the training we are told how important the clients are. That they are "Faces and not just cases". once you complete policy training, all of the customer service is set aside to achieve the numbers the managers have decided need to be completed to "graduate" and move on to the possibility of a permanent position. These numbers are unattainable if the cases are processed like we are taught and all of the tools we are told to use when processing each case are utilized. The managers are quick to tell you how many cases they processed when they were in our positions but fail to mention that most of the additional inquiries required for each client were not in place then. I have worked for major corporations over the years, under extremely time sensitive conditions but never experienced this kind of workload.
Pros
benefits and time off
Cons
poor management, unrealistic goals, treatment of employees by managers, little or no encouragement during training, poor pay for the type of work and intensity of positions. Too many managers per worker..
Not so good at all
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Crawfordville, FLSeptember 3, 2017
Working at this place had it's ups and downs.. I know one thing though.. Working here taught me to be a team player, and how to obey the rules of society.
Pros
Learned
Cons
Never Again
Low pay...high stress....violence
HSW 1 (Former Employee) –  Macclenny, FLSeptember 2, 2017
Poor management. The patients were not treated with dignity and respect. Their rights were violated. You are not allowed to defend yourselves. Supervisors were not always truthful on reports.....shall I go on??
Pros
Learned about mental illness
Cons
Always short staffed, low pay, morale is very low
Run as fast as you can away
Former employee (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 1, 2017
When this company came in, they promised to take care of us and promised to make sure we would have a good environment. That stopped quickly. Turnover happens daily. Mid-level managers can make your life miserable. The supervisors are just out of school. Run, don't walk away from this company if you want to remain sane.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Micromanagement, cutthroat culture, poor management
productivity
Revenue Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 31, 2017
Entered the data from the tax payer off the coupons, forms and checks that where mailed or scanned into the systems. Created new accounts for tax payers
Pros
I was able to study on the slow days
Cons
Some managers were not on the same page
Fun Place
Accountant III (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FL 32301August 28, 2017
Entry level accounting position that teaches accounts payables.
The workplace is very great. Very understanding if you have families,
The hardest part is end of the fiscal year. The hours are very long
Good for someone who has no life or kids
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Polk correctionalAugust 28, 2017
I have no comments and wouldn't recommend this job. You work hard and low pay. They care more about the inmates than the employees. The money needs to be put in their front line employees.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No lunch breaks
ReVamp the State of Florida
Investigator Specialist I & II (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 26, 2017
I was terminated after suffering a car accident injury and reporting unlawful behavior of my superiors. It seems, this behavior is present throughout the entire State of Florida agencies. Management on all levels in every agency must be held accountable for their actions. Certainly, working tax payers who keep this state a float are not disposable, or at least they should not be. Don't work for the State until this issue has been rectified, less you find yourself stress beyond measure and treated unlawfully.
Pros
Benefits, Healthcare, Paid time off
Cons
Everything except benefits offered
n/a
Economic Self-Sufficiency Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLAugust 25, 2017
Great place to work --- great hours if raising a family ... salary is not that great however great benefits. Fast pace work load. Must have a passion for people ...good communication skills
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Medical Disabilty Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 24, 2017
The salaries are not in-line with current cost of living. There have been no raises in more than 10 years.
I have no more info to provide. The ability to promote is limited. Thanks.
Nice co-workers, great schedule, excellent bene's
OPS, Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 24, 2017
the culture fosters teamwork. good people to work with. part of the child support program. customers can be cranky so high turnover for the front line customer service personnel. the support departments much better to work in
Pros
benefits, mon-fri 8-5 schedule, reasonable work load expectation
Cons
customer service positions that deal with disgruntled customers, below average pay
Good
Planer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 23, 2017
Understanding Management is the hardest part of the job.
equal employment practices, group development, and conflict resolutions issues other wise enjoyable.
good
Cons
Competitve and pay is good
RESEARCH AND TRAINING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 23, 2017
Working for the state has it's benefits but the atmosphere isn't always pleasant and cause high turnovers. But the health insurance and retire benefits are very good.
Bad place
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Fanning Springs, FLAugust 21, 2017
The state of Florida paid very poorly for the responsibility. It was a job at the prison with inmates. Responsible for teaching them to cook. Attitude of employees was worse than the prisoners.
State of Florida Dept. of Health
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 20, 2017
a typical work day for me was updating accounts and processing checks. I learned basic accounting skills, clerical, secretarial, fax, computer skills, typing skills (60wpm) copier and switchboard. I worked very well with the management team. I enjoyed working there for 30 years. I retired early at age 50 and now want to go back to work!