State of Florida Employee Reviews in United States

Never a dull moment
Juvenile Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 9, 2016
Interaction with juvenile probationers and their families, who are sometimes dysfunctional. Policy is dictated by the Florida Statues and Tallahassee. Frequently feel like your hands are tied. Interaction with schools, substance abuse /mental health providers, the courts, law enforcement, correction facilities, dependency agencies The heads in Tallahassee to some extent do not have any real idea what we deal with day in and day out. Limited services available to the clients. Pay raises dicated by the Legislature, the Senate and the governor. Last raise was 2011. 3% was given and then 3% was taken for retirement. Benefits weigh out the low pay. Good leave time. Family Leave also. Would make more money as a 1st year teacher.
Pros
Leave time, flexibility, benefits, helping others, coworkers have to be team players and supportive immediate supervisiors.
Cons
Governor not supportive of state employees, wants as much private as possible. Poor pay raises, if any. Stressful environment.
good environment
ess1 specialist ( public assistance specialist) (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 25, 2016
interviewing clients by phone and in person,input information on the computer and determined eligibility for cash, food stamps and medicaid benefits. Constantly staring at the computer and meeting monthly deadlines was difficult for me. Interacting with management and staff was the most enjoyable.
Pros
promotional opportunity
Cons
workload
Productive Organisation with good growth opertunities
Corporate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLDecember 3, 2015
A strong political operation with growth opportunities providing you could prove yourself by your quality of work. Good strong professional operation with talented People knowledgeable of the product. Over my first 5 years i had many positions such as Area Sales rep, District manager, New business development, promotions operations and a corporate lesion for my last 5 years before retiring.
Pros
Great Management, Good benefits, and an oveall good working team.
Cons
Low pay considering the quality of work i delivered
Great Job
Judicial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 4, 2016
The culture was pleasing; however, the job security was not adequate. I enjoyed working with the people in my department.
Benefits
Cons
Job security
Best 25 Years
Sr. Personnel Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Raiford, FLDecember 16, 2015
I began my career with the State of Florida while in college and continued until my retirement after 25 years in 2014. The skills I learned under multiple mentors could never be taught at any level of college or university. The degree I posses gave me very little to bring to the table in my career. As a professional in HR I would take experience in the field over a person with a PhD without second thought.
Pros
Mentors and Dedication of Staff - Benefits
Cons
Salary
Steady and Secure/Old Style
Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 20, 2016
Correcting course with any large organization is time consuming and cumbersome.
The good news is the jobs are steady, the benefits available, and the holiday and vacation benefits are good.
Pros
Holiday and vacation time, leave it at work attitude
Cons
Minute by minute management, slow to change
Good Benefits
Law Enforcement Corporal (Current Employee) –  Yulee, FLJanuary 26, 2016
Job Security, Great Benefits, Wonderful place to work. The retirement plan is good compared to others. But, the con to it all, is that the pay is lower than most of the other states.
Educational and political workplace with the state government
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 30, 2016
I learned a lot and I also brought a lot to the table working for the state government. My days are very busy yet productive. I assisted 10 in office staff members and 5 field staff. I had daily correspondence with the governors office and 30 coalitions throughout Florida. I'm very detailed and great at multi-tasking which helped me be successful in this position. I also took advantage of the free computer classes to learn more about, Excel, Share point, Power point and Word. My department travels a lot so I'm responsible for all travel accommodations pre and post travel. Any conferences that need to be attended or planned I would be the organizer and select different staff to be on my team to implement it. I enjoy working for the State but I'm ready to relocate back home to Atlanta where my family resides.
Pros
the state benefits
Cons
inexperienced managers
Professional environment with focus on meeting goals
Data Center Director, various others (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 5, 2016
Professional environment with focus on goal setting and achievement.
State government includes many agencies and opportunities for career growth and success depending on the individual's drive. I found this desirable, as I am a hard worker and self starter.
Good Place to Work
SENIOR VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 3, 2016
Good Place to work if you can self regulate yourself and not need a clear understanding of policy. Management not knowing policy and policy changes from day to day hour to hour and only applies to some staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting past the office politics and meeting the needs of the clients. Getting the clients the services and the resources they needed without having to explain to management how to actually service a client and not get stuck in the paperwork and deal with the person and there needs.
Pros
Helping the clients and having them just say "thank you".
Cons
The double standards in the office.
I have worked for the State of Florida for 10+ years
Operations Review Specialist - Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 29, 2016
I have worked for the State of Florida - Department of Revenue for 10+ years and my experience have been very good. There are a variety of positions available. Once you have gained employment in an entry level position, you can then apply for internal only positions that are available only to existing employees. Overall, the people there are a great group to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that everyone is key to making it a success.
Pros
Great healthcare, flexible schedules, friendly environment
Cons
Heavy workload with low pay, no state employee pay raises in 6+ years
Never Settle
Revenue Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 3, 2016
It's not like it used to be. Overworked and underpaid/underappreciated. Management takes credit(pay increases) for work being done but they fail to do their jobs as managers. Promotions are done by who you know(buddy system). The worst part of it is the people who take pride in serving the public are reprimanded for wanting to make a difference in people's life where as the people who do not benefit from the services offered(high paid management) collect their checks and sleep well at night.
Pros
Low health care premiums
Cons
no pay increases, worked until you are physically sick and you need to use the healtcare benefits
Good departmental interactions, approachable management
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 32505April 3, 2016
Department Director was very open and would allow discussion concerning the flow of the clinic and administration processes. Very enjoyable co-workers, interaction with WIC clients made up a typical work day. Each client had a story to tell, some would break your heart. The department offered many training/personal development classes. Such as: personality types, customer service, computer classes, quality control review. Having a positive, giving personality made the job very enjoyable to both internal and external customers.
Pros
health care, earned leave, location.
Cons
breaks only if time allowed
Very Busy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 16, 2016
Typically I would receive phone calls from distraught parents of special needs children from every part of Florida with questions pertaining to the treatment of their child to special classes, etc. I would make travel arrangements and travel reimbursements.

I had wonderful co-workers that taught me about different disabilities and how to work with troubled and angry parents, asking those parents the correct questions in order to get them to the correct specialist.

The hardest part of my job was hearing truly heart breaking stories about these special children and the, sometimes, inhumane treatment of them.
Pros
Working with dedicated people
Cons
Heart breaking stories
people are friendly and busy
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLOctober 24, 2015
start the day with setting materials up in the place to be occupied prioritize the needs of the workers as well as the clients, making sure the place is suitable so the workers as well as the clients can come in and address their needs and concerns, comfortably public service has it all, we as a team want to give the best service possible with what ever the public needs, within reason, when everyone is on the same page the operation runs smoothly And because we strive to maintain good order with cleaniness and procedure whatever troubles there are stick out like a sore thumb, which is the first step to attacking the problem, identification. that kind of accomplishment brings me great satisfaction. what makes that possible is working with a good team, a team willing to go the extra mile, with management to back them up.
Average Employment without big pay
Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaJune 3, 2015
Everyone is looking for some type of pat on the back. Be careful who you befriend as they may stab you in the back upper management included. The actual work is fine and you will feel accomplished from helping families in needed. Do not expect big bucks the pay is very low compared to the work you do and raises are not guaranteed as it is based on politics
Pros
Atomsphere
Cons
pay
Great Benefits
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLSeptember 24, 2015
Great Benefits, better than anywhere I have ever worked. This makes up for the being one of the lower paid Correctional Departments in the USA. The department is highly understaffed, but regardless of the extra security dangers the other staff pull together to make the entire facility much safer then it should be.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Low Pay, No raises, Understaffed
State Job
Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 25, 2015
This was a public service agency for people in need of public assistance. Being understaffed it was a busy call center with a high turnover. While work was meaning full it was hard to see the direct effects of ones efforts. Pay raises also had to be voted in by Florida legislator and so employees were subject to stay at the same salary for years on end. On the bright side tuition reimbursement for a part time student schedule was available and medical benefits were great.
Pros
Great healthcare and tuition for part time students paid.
Cons
No raises and energy draining due to nature of phone work.
Corrections ofc.
Certified Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Belle Glade, FLJanuary 3, 2016
Excellent field of work. Great career choice. You have the opportunity to move up the ladder and prepare yourself a very nice goose egg, for retirement.
Pros
Excellent Career
Cons
If you don't know any one, you get thrown on mid night shift. Its all about who you know or if your family
A Great Company To Work For
ESS1 Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAAugust 12, 2015
It was a great opportunity to work for the State of Florida (Department of Children & Families). I enjoyed my co-workers and the management team overall was great, I love working and helping customers/clients with their case and/or issues. The hardest part was making a decision to resign due to an unforeseen incident with the immediate supervisor.
Pros
Atmosphere and Benefits
Cons
Sometimes due to quota expectations it was not enough time to properly help the client