State of Georgia Employee Reviews

No Advancement, No pay, More Work
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 1, 2016
There is no advancement for the part of the State I work for and there are no raises or incentives. Yet they have reviews each month to tell you how bad you did on two of the thousands of calls you took for the month. Management has no positive reinforcement and they have an attitude most of the time. Things change everyday and no one is ever on the same page. The organization itself is unethical and has no integrity. Once a week they add more work on our job description but they never talk about more pay. Every day seems like Groundhog's Day. The work is repetitious and the benefits are not good.
Pros
tele-work
Cons
pay, no advancement
Great place to excel and move forward in your government career
Business Operations Analyst/Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 9, 2016
There are a lot of opportunities in the State of Georgia. A lot of room for advancement and learning. There are a lot of training classes available as well.
Pros
This job secures a long career
Cons
N/A
Great environment
Forensic Technician (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 1, 2016
Our experience here is really what you make of it. The clients are great for the most part, but the staffing needs to be trained and schooled on professionalism and etiquette. The hardest part of the job is meeting your expectations though most people who come here have a plan to try to make a difference, to help change and inspire someone else's life, the recidivism is real. And I have to ask myself am I helping or just enabling?
Pros
ADVANCEMENT
Cons
BAD ATTITUDES AND UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF
Case Management
FICM II - Family Independent Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Butler, GAJune 17, 2016
You get involved in the personal lives of many people. It is rewarding as long as the state will let you do your job. Too many rules to live by. Overall a good experience because you had to work quickly and efficiently. Co-workers were great. Everyone was a support person for each other. It was not a cut throat atmosphere.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
The goal 100% perfect in handling all cases everyday is not attainable, very high stress level.
Underpaid
Pension Reporting Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 1, 2016
Hard working people that are extremely underpaid. Administration is over compensated. Ask for the pay you want upfront because raises are not guaranteed.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
low pay
GDOT only a stepping stone...learn something then get out quickly.. Trust me
Right of Way Spc. 2 (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GaApril 12, 2013
From a former GDOT Right of way employee...If you want to advance, you will have to wait about 10-yrs and that's if you become a certified appraiser...(4K hours for Cert). Depending on your boss you "might" get hours from your job duties...not guaranteed ...then you have to be chosen by Good ole boy system...if you like that then you will thrive. The mgmt style is micro management, and they prefer individuals who can't think for themselves or to always ask questions for routine tasks. GDOT treats college educated adults like 5-yr olds unless you get with the good ole boy system...then your good. Public record shows 30-yr retirees in right of way at the top salary of $45k that's it. Do your reaserch first
Pros
job security
Cons
pay, advancement, micro mgmt
Stressful Bullying Environmet
Disability Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAMarch 26, 2014
Management goes out of their way to intimidate and threaten employees. Management sits in the parking lot to catch employees arriving late. The building is infested with bugs and the bathrooms are not ventilated. The building is located in a high crime area. State employees have not seen a raise in 7 years. Management places unrealistic expectations on employees and have not lifted a finger to change the low morale. Managements only concern is to intimidate and fire employees. The Deputy Director walks the floors with the sole purpose to intimidate and bully workers. Management is not willing to listen to employee concerns.
Pros
Cons
Stress, low wages, bullying management, unfair promotion practices
a experience worth having
guest services agent (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 16, 2013
I worked at a hotel on a military base for almost 5 years, started there when I was 18 with hardly any experience. I learned a lot through the years about federal and state jobs and the military. The rules can be bent but only when management wants them to. Most higher grade officials are stuck in the same way things have always been done and are afraid to change because it might make someones life easier. And it truly is all in who you know, because if you get to know the right person you'll go straight to the top. But this teaches you to kiss butt, and I guess after almost 5 years I had gone far enough that it didn't matter anymore I had already grown out of my position with no room above me without someone else getting fired. So they chose me before it was them. Can't blame them tho! But in all reality I would gladly work for the state again but federal jobs are way better benefits.
Pros
experience
Cons
not enough room for everyone to grow
A good and stable place to work for working mothers
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 28, 2015
Working for the State may not earn you the salary you want but you will receive good benefits, hours are great and flexible and you will be providing a service to people in need. The State need great people that what to work hard and provide a good service.
Pros
Flexible hours, benefits
Cons
Pay
Enforcement Agent
Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAMay 24, 2016
Very good flexible benefits, the work hours are great and paid holidays. The environment is great and can be stressful but yet, rewarding in helping people.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Productive workplace
Econonmic Support Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, GAMarch 12, 2016
The State of GA DFACS office is very needed. We assist customers daily helping them apply for and obtain assistance in order to maintain daily living.
DFACS is a job that is very rewarding.
The position requires a lot of customer interaction, customer confidentiality, investigative skills, good judgement, and the ability to multi-task.
Management is laid back, but available.
Nice company
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 11, 2016
They do not pay the greatest but are very open in helping and listening to their employees. They have events several times a year to promote communication and fun at the workplace.
Horrible management
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMay 3, 2013
My manager made me sign my annual review and would not let me read it. She had a high school education and was in a 'Senior Accountant' Position; She was incompetent, conniving and cheated the taxpayers. I spent the last 5 years at the job, not only doing my job, but also correcting mistakes of her and other employees. No manager in the business office had a Bachelors degree, but continued to be promoted and kept making mistakes. Many times I had to stay 48 hours straight to input information for deadlines, because management had not done their jobs. They promoted and brought in friends to work at the place - that were not qualified (skills or education) and kept putting the work off on the low-paid few.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Low Pay, Unethical & Incompetant management; neopotism
State of GA-Dept of Driver Services
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAJanuary 21, 2014
Extremely busy position, some sites you must sit in a cramped position for your entire shift, there are no breaks and only 30 minutes lunch, take customers on road tests for vehicles and test cycle riders too in all kinds of weather. Some drivers and vehicles extremely unsafe.
Pay is very low. Management bullies employees. Hardest part of the job is the very long hours and some customers who are very difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning the laws affecting the position and interacting with a lot of people.
Pros
Variety, great if you like interacting with people
Cons
Very low pay, a lot of hours, can pull you to a different site whenever and you drive sometimes several hours to get there, management bullies employees, vacations are discouraged, many centers work Tues - Saturday, scary road tests with awful drivers, software systems that don't work properly.
Highly customizable workplace
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 30, 2014
There are many opportunities here that can be used to increase one's knowledge and skillset. I see a lot of new technology which is both an advantage and an opportunity. The corporate culture unfortunatelyseems to be slow to change. This results in some staff taking advantage of the new tools while others are less enthusiastic. However many companies are reluctant to change, so this is not a unique situation. There is a good sense of work-life balance which is refreshingly wonderful!
Pros
new tools, healthy work-life balance
Cons
reluctance to accept change, strong corporate politics
Worst Place Ever
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett CountyApril 15, 2014
Working for a DHS office is no easy task to say the least. Dealing with this type of clientele is very stressful. Often times it feels like you're giving away government funds to people who do not deserve it. Pay is embarrassingly low with no incentive for advancement with an overwhelming amount of work. The technology used to complete the work is outdated and often times one or multiple programs may not work on any given day. I feel like I am dumbing down my intelligence and skills by staying here. At this time, I do need the employment but am working very hard to find new and better employment.
Pros
Currently NO Pros
Cons
Top of the list is low pay, no raise in 8+ years
Terrible work environment and extreme favoritism
probation officer (Former Employee) –  MorrowMay 21, 2013
I worked for the State of GA for 9 years. For the last five I worked as a probation officer for the GA Dept. Of Corrections, or should I say, “Dept. Of Connections." My Chief constantly belittled and ridiculed myself as well as my coworkers. She had the worst attitude and was extremely unprofessional. She was constantly prying into the personal lives of her employees. Her micromanagement style is so annoying. Her best friend works in the office as a probation officer and she is constantly allowed to abuse her leave. She is shown extreme favortism yet she hardly ever came to work. There was zero training yet there was constant reprimand if you made a mistake. Complaints were made to the administration, yet none of them cared. I was only in that office for two years and during that time, 22 officers either transferred, were fired, or quit. The turnover was ridiculous. That particular office was responsible for way more job duties than officers are responsible for in other counties. This is because the Chief is constantly “buttering up" the judges, the jails and the clerks. She made her officers be responsible for their duties as well. The only way to get promoted in that office was to brown nose. I was warned by other offices not to transfer there and I should have listened.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
costly benefits, low pay, unprofessional management
Work from home and the ability to build strong cases
Special Agent/Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Forsyth, GAMarch 23, 2016
Work environment is great! I normally work from home. Typical day answer emails and make phone calls and work on my assigned cases.

Since I work from home, the hardest part of the job is not interacting with my peers face to face.

Most enjoyable part of my job is building a good solid case.
Pros
working from home and state vehicle
Cons
compenstion
Newly hired driver examiner PT
Department of Driver Services (Current Employee) –  NorcrossSeptember 9, 2013
I was recently hired as a driver examiner PT and so far I love it!!! PTs have more flexibility than FT. I gave my management my schedule and so far he has worked with me. They also encourage internal advancement and you do not find that too often. I am extremely excited about my new opportunity with DDS.
Pros
Flexibility, Pay, close to my house
Cons
30 minutes lunch
State of Georgia Senior Analyst
Senior Service Desk analyst / Lan Adminstrator (Former Employee) –  7100 Highlands Park Way Smyrna GAAugust 27, 2015
Create, modify, move, disable accounts.
Support service desk agents by providing trouble shooting steps for customers.
Management provided necessary tools and support to get the job done.
The challenging function is multitasking in a fast pace environment.
And the most rewarding aspect is using experience to provide a rapid solution for our customers and hearing the customer's joy.
Pros
A happy customer.
Cons
Trying to understand what is needed from a customer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Georgia. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9