State of Georgia

State of Georgia Employee Reviews

Family
Caregiver (Former Employee), Macon, GAApril 17, 2015
This wasn't actually a job it was explaining why I had waited til I was in my twenties to start hunting. I was taking care of my father and mother until my mother could take back over caring for the family.
Good environment for learning
CASE MANAGER/ INTAKE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Great training
Cons: Over worked and under paid
Great place to learn case management and counseling experience, and a place for first time graduate students to learn about the child welfare system.
Customer Service /Front Desk
CUSTOMER SERVICE / FRONT DESK (Former Employee), GeorgiaDecember 13, 2014
I have exceptional customer service and good peoples skills. I am quite reliable and honest, I connect to my job , customers and people at work quite well.
Developed additional skills while here.
Physical Plant Manager (Current Employee), Forsyth, GANovember 14, 2014
Excellent workplace. I supervised close to 20 employees while here.
a good place to learn
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 22, 2014
Pros: relax enviroment
Cons: no pay raises
the most enjoyable part of the job is that you are able to show your skills and learn new skills if you are willing to work and learn.
Highly customizable workplace
Consultant (Current Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 30, 2014
Pros: new tools, healthy work-life balance
Cons: reluctance to accept change, strong corporate politics
There are many opportunities here that can be used to increase one's knowledge and skillset. I see a lot of new technology which is both an advantage and an opportunity. The corporate culture unfortunatelyseems to be slow to change. This results in some staff taking advantage of the new tools while others are less enthusiastic. However many companies are reluctant to change, so this is not a unique situation. There is a good sense of work-life balance which is refreshingly wonderful!
Rewarding
Department of Juvenile Justice (Former Employee), Decatur, GASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: unpaid overtime
Conduct head counts, conduct morning briefing and ensure that staff follow policy and procedure.
Productive and interesting workplace
Correction Officer Sergeant (Former Employee), Forsyth, GAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks
Productive and interesting workplace its very easy to advance within the department.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Executive Recruiter (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 16, 2014
Continually identifying employees who can help us continue to push our mission forward - people with a strong internal drive, a desire to be part of something bigger than themselves and a passion to be the best at what they do. These people come from all backgrounds, have a range of perspectives and thrive in a challenging, fast-paced but rewarding industry.
This Job is for someone with thick skin because of what you see.
Social Worker (Former Employee), Rome, GAMay 14, 2014
The hardest part of my job was seeing the neglect of children and sometimes not being able to do anything about it.
Worst Place Ever
Case Manager (Current Employee), Gwinnett CountyApril 15, 2014
Pros: currently no pros
Cons: top of the list is low pay, no raise in 8+ years
Working for a DHS office is no easy task to say the least. Dealing with this type of clientele is very stressful. Often times it feels like you're giving away government funds to people who do not deserve it. Pay is embarrassingly low with no incentive for advancement with an overwhelming amount of work. The technology used to complete the work is outdated and often times one or multiple programs may not work on any given day. I feel like I am dumbing down my intelligence and skills by staying here. At this time, I do need the employment but am working very hard to find new and better employment.
Shameful Work Environment!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Disability Associate (Former Employee), Savannah, GAApril 1, 2014
Pros: absolutely none
Cons: low wages, poor health coverage and unrealistic demands
This agency takes the very life out of you and then they want more! The wages do not reflect the skills required to successfully perform this job. Counterparts in the private industry earn FAR more money than the State of Georgia will ever think of paying its employees. If you like to be overworked, underappreciated and showered with empty promises. Then you are in the right place!

And, if you don't keep up with the work demands you will soon find yourself job hunting again!
Stressful Bullying Environmet
Disability Adjudicator (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GAMarch 26, 2014
Cons: stress, low wages, bullying management, unfair promotion practices
Management goes out of their way to intimidate and threaten employees. Management sits in the parking lot to catch employees arriving late. The building is infested with bugs and the bathrooms are not ventilated. The building is located in a high crime area. State employees have not seen a raise in 7 years. Management places unrealistic expectations on employees and have not lifted a finger to change the low morale. Managements only concern is to intimidate and fire employees. The Deputy Director walks the floors with the sole purpose to intimidate and bully workers. Management is not willing to listen to employee concerns.
Disability Adjudication Services
Associate (Former Employee), State of GeorgiaMarch 26, 2014
Pros: good employees
Cons: micromanaged, bullied, harassed daily
If you want to be harassed, bullied, picked on, micromanaged and have your job threatened on a daily basis, then this is the perfect place for you. Management is disrespectful; they feel that the best method to manage is by harassing you every day with constant threatening emails throughout the week and making direct supervisors crack the whip with unrealistic expectations for production. Time is monitored on a daily basis with managers pulling cameras and sitting in the parking lot to watch you. I have never been in a work environment that is this toxic. Anything that may possibly bring you a little joy at the workplace is taken away. They will fire you before your 1 year probation period is complete if you do not meet whatever standards they choose to go by. Also they change the standards for everyone on a frequent basis. They are firing long time employees who can’t meet the unrealistic expectations that management has put in place. If you want to be tortured, then please by all means, come.
DEVILS
case manager (Former Employee), Georgia, SavMarch 24, 2014
Pros: 15 min breaks...not
Cons: you will develop panic attacks and your iq will become lower!!!!
There are a lot of people that throw the rock and hide their hand. There are alot of people that plot and plan lies so they can advance to a certain position. There are some people that talk so bad about the state but you are still working there? There are a lot of people that trash clients information and lie to the clients face and say I never received your information. There is one person in particular that's a devil in human skin who was dating a client ex-boyfriend and she would look into this client's chart to see her business. But yet the state hired her as a supervisor. ?I will never understand this. The state has cliques that will make you want to smack them...but you can't. Oh well im glad im gone!!!!! ¥
I enjoy working for the state.
Clerk II (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2014
I enjoy what I do, I have learned a lot in the 8 1/2 years with the state. There is a big turn over rate in management, its good that I am a fast learner and follow directives. I am a team player so I enjoy being around my co-worker no is perfect we all make mistake and when we do lets find and salution to the problem and correct it.
Impacting Lives Of Youth
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: customer service, team work, consistency
Cons: not being able to reach out to an incarcerated youth
It was a pleasure being able to be a positive role model and influence
State of GA-Dept of Driver Services
Examiner (Former Employee), Cartersville, GAJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: variety, great if you like interacting with people
Cons: very low pay, a lot of hours, can pull you to a different site whenever and you drive sometimes several hours to get there, management bullies employees, vacations are discouraged, many centers work tues - saturday, scary road tests with awful drivers, software systems that don't work properly.
Extremely busy position, some sites you must sit in a cramped position for your entire shift, there are no breaks and only 30 minutes lunch, take customers on road tests for vehicles and test cycle riders too in all kinds of weather. Some drivers and vehicles extremely unsafe.
Pay is very low. Management bullies employees. Hardest part of the job is the very long hours and some customers who are very difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning the laws affecting the position and interacting with a lot of people.
Great people to work with
Family Independence Supervisor (Current Employee), Marietta, GAJanuary 16, 2014
Working for the state is not an easy task. We have not had a raise in 7 years. The best part of the job was the flexible work schedules and time off that you receive.

A typical day is never typical which makes the job interesting and never boring.
Very productive and love working with all customers.
Business Operations Administrative Asst (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2014
A typical work day is always different.
I have learned that helping people in all venues and locations are always enjoyable.
The management team here is like non-other I have always been made to feel as part of the team.
My co-workers and I are able to communicate in-person as well as telecommute.
The hardest part of the job is (none).
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist all customers on a daily basis.

1 2 3

About State of Georgia

Georgia on my Mind is not just the state song --  it's the Governor's job description. Consisting of the Governor, his Cabinet, – Read more

State of Georgia Salaries