State of Hawaii Employee Reviews

not a fun place to work with
Account Clerk III (Former Employee) –  869 Punchbowl St. Honolulu, HI. 96813July 31, 2017
They changed new Fiscal Officer and she said she is cleaning the house. she also creating a hostile working environment whoever is work under her. When she hired as a Fiscal Office, first thing she fired the Accountant V for no reason. The Accountant V is her left and right hand. She doesn't know how to answer the insurance companies phone calls and I have to call the insurance companies and answer their questions regarding the Damaged to state property.
loved it here place, people and location
Pre-Audit Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HawaiiJuly 14, 2017
Over all this was the best job that I had. Worked for the government had a lot of different ethnicity. People were friendly and helpful. It was nice environment to work there. The benefits were great, vacation, sick hours were great. Advance was great if you wanted to, it was your choice. If you wanted to move to another department you could without losing years of service. We had a holiday every month sometimes 3 if there is an election year.
Overall, I really loved it there.
Pros
loved the work, people and location
great place
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Kailua-Kona, HIJune 11, 2017
Recommends
Neutral Outlook
No opinion of CEO
I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (More than a year)
Pros
I'm from Hawaii but started teaching at a private mainland school. In the 20 years since, I've been around - private, public, charter, even private non-profits working on contract projects for public agencies. Considering it's size (23,000 salaried employees + 10,000 casuals) and that it's the 10th largest school district in America, HIDOE does better than it gets credit for. If you thought it was going to be as nimble as a new tech start-up, I'm sure you're disappointed. But local people in Hawaii have hearts of gold, and especially if you're from here, this is best place in the world to live.
Cons
HIDOE, like just about every public school district in the US, is still suffering the after effects of the federal No Child Behind Law (NCLB pushed standardized tesing and resulted in narrowing of curriculum) and lack of adequate funding. The law's been changed, but the systems built when it was in place largely remain. And yes, we're a big bureaucracy, which can be frustrating to navigate, but it also creates order …
Advice to Management
Review personnel, direct and indirect costs of US federal grant funding service. Many of us suspect federal funding "assistance" is actually costing us more in compliance, resulting in it being a drain on state funding rather than a complement. Get back to basic operational issues and take a break on the un-proven "school reform" efforts that cost plenty but have produced little.
  more... Folks need to read memos and emails. …  less
Great job benefits
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 26, 2017
Excellent sick/vacation package. Full medical/dental/vision/chiro benefits. Able to put money into retirement fund as well as into your own separate savings account.
Pros
Great job security
Cons
More advancement oppertunity
Positive Team
Aide Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIApril 5, 2017
Documentation is key to this job. The workplace culture is very friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to form team building with the assigned teams.
Pros
excellent benefit
Cons
big cuts on state taxes
Harbors Division is Corrosive and Demoralizing
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oahu DistrictMarch 4, 2017
In last 12 months, two employees fired; three quit; one had anxiety attack and one was suspended in Oahu District Office. Two Harbors Police Officers remain on extended leave due to infighting. All stems from Harbors Administrator who is corrosive and paranoid. He was previously fired from another Administrator job at Airports, and when he arrived at Harbors, lost supervision over two Department Heads.
Pros
Colleagues watch out for each other
Cons
Leadership is corrosive and paranoid
Fun Work place
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIFebruary 23, 2017
To provide excellent customer service. Fun co-workers. Safe environment. Upbeat and positive management. Friendly people
Cook, Baker, server (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIFebruary 15, 2017
Takes a very long time to be permante in the system. Good pay and benefits. It can take 15 yrs to become an 8 hour worker. Slot of folks leave the State because it takes years to advance.
Pros
Free lunch and good benefits
Cons
Takes years to secure a permanent position
Steady work, different shifts, deals with all types of culture both in staff and consumers, a learning experience
RN Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Oahu Island, HIJanuary 31, 2017
Various shifts day 8-4, even 3-11 pm, nights 11-7 am. how to deal with difficult people and various cultures. as manager need to watch staff and consumers carefully and keep on top of all shifts with the charge nurses. the hardest part is budget as I would manager secretaries, LPNs and RNs. So deal with multiple unions. Seeing the clients not want to leave our departments because they enjoy the staff, even when they are sick, have surgery or pending discharges.
Pros
smile on staff faces and clients faces
Cons
having my staff being pulled to do other units that are not staffed well.
Very Stable
IT System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 29, 2016
Co workers are the best. Working in Hawaii is extremely fun and everyone is so nice. Working for the state though, only wish the salary is more.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
low pay
Good work environment with exceptional retirement health benefits
Information Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 26, 2016
Good place to work, people are friendly and a good health retirement plan. Work with different people that provide new learning skills for the job.
Pros
Friendly work environment. Coworkers are very helpful and easy to get along.
Cons
Currently no position advancement due to pilot program
work
Human Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Lihue, HIAugust 12, 2016
Be prepared to leave your thinking a the door. You will conform to the SYSTEM. You will not think for yourself. GOOD TIMES!!
Great place to work, great enviornment, very little benefits
Adult Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Keaau, HIJuly 21, 2016
We all enjoyed working with the kids, but with all the extra work my co-workers and I would do, we all though that they pay was never worth it.
Best job in the world
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Wailuku, HIJuly 13, 2016
• Supervised and coordinated the work and training of 15 administrative staff to keep their skills and knowledge up to date and increase their value to the Division.
• Conducted annual boat inspections.
• Assisted in preparing the District budget, maintained budget expenditures and negotiated and renewed contracts for harbor maintenance and re-configurations.
• Worked with Maui County Council, the United States Coast Guard, Enforcement and Navy to develop post-911 small boat harbor security plan.
I truly enjoyed doing this job to the best of my ability.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  EWA BEACH,HIJuly 6, 2016
No longer able to work my client had passed away so I had to move on and find some other type of job. But I truly enjoyed being her live-in care giver & volunteering to help out the elderly in their community.
Great enviroment and co-workers
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIJuly 1, 2016
A typical day at work for me was very much enjoyable because my co-workers and mgmt made it very much interesting and helpful in everyway possible which I feel is a plus in a work place. The hardest part of the job would be to find another workplace with the same kind of aloha spirit.
Fulfilling Position
Registered Professional Nurse III (Former Employee) –  Kalaupapa, HIMay 2, 2016
Working for the State in the Kalaupapa Settlement was most fulfilling professionally.
As a RN in this community you fill a vital role in the overall function of the community and it's residents.
Plenty of hard work, full of people with the right kind of crazy
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kahului AirportMarch 29, 2016
Workload is limited only by one's willingness to pick up a task. There's plenty to do, and nobody says "no" to someone willing to work. My base job is IT Specialist; even with only about half a dozen computers/customers to service, my day is full! Plenty of opportunities to step up and head up committees and construction/development projects.
Vacation and Sick leave benefits
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 3, 2016
1. Can be quite busy at the office, and sometimes not.
2. I had to learn to choose my battles.
3. Management is not the greatest, sometimes too lax.
4. Most co-workers are pretty darn good.
5. The hardest part of my job is supervising the assistant directly under me.
6. In the morning when no one is around because it's quiet, and I can get things done, and leaving for the day.
full filling job
Eligibility Worker (Current Employee) –  Lihue, HIFebruary 29, 2016
Busy fast paced work enviroment, alot of face to face contact, phone calls and faxes. Great people to work with, everyone is a team player.Hardest thing is trying to keep up with the work load but the day goes by very quickly.