State of Hawaii

State of Hawaii Employer Reviews

Special Assistant to the Deputy (Current Employee), HonoluluFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: great hours
Cons: salary
Great place to work with many opportunities and challenges to work collaboratively on. Wide variety of jobs to interact with.
Typical day is from 8-5.
Most of the co workers are great to work with.
Hardest part of the job is trying to set a new and more productive and efficient culture.
Overall I have gained friends and experience and most importantly I have grown internally. I enjoyed the cooking and the fun environment.
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee), Kailua, HIJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: knowledge, experience, people, love.
Cons: not enough time in the day to do all that would like to do and get done.
My experience of supervising in the kitchen has taught me great leadership skill. Some days would be challenging with having to face
Issues that involved having to solution find that supported building character. Working with different personalities has its advantages and challenges, although I welcome every person in my life as I see them all as personal teachers. The greatest thing about all my jobs is that they involve working with people. I trust the next job I land at will be just as exciting and fulfilling as I make it to be.
Outstanding environment
Utility Person (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: fun environment and great pay.
Cons: short hours
Everyday brings a new and exciting experience to work with a variety of personalities.
greta place to work
General Construction and Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee), Honolulu HIJanuary 4, 2015
The state of Hawaii has great opportunities and great benefits
Great Internship
Economic Development and Tourism, State of Hawaii (Former Employee), Honolulu, HINovember 26, 2014
This was my first real world experience while I was in college. I was one of the first interns this company had. I learned a lot about what it means to be a Green Business in Hawaii and also gained experience with the LEED certification. The most rewarding part of the job was planning and organizing a Green Restaurant certification for the state of Hawaii.
independent
Medical Record Technician VI (Current Employee), Honolulu hiNovember 26, 2014
Pros: fun environment
scheduling visit to outside facilities including other Islands.
If I am able to assist/guide a client for SNAP and FINANCIAL Assistance, I feel my job has been fulfilled.
Office Assistant III (Current Employee), Honolulu, HINovember 16, 2014
I find working for the State of Hawaii, Department of Human Services very enjoyable. I would say 99% of us are able to get along with very little disputes. All of us know our jobs and require very little if any, supervision. Currently, we have two supervisors, one does not have tact when correcting an employee and needs more training in the management field. The other is very easy going from what I have observed, but does speak up during meetings on what is expected of us. The tardiness and absences of the other employees is a problem, which makes it difficult to run the office smoothly and not burdening the other employees who are there. The most enjoyable are the pot lucks, whether it be for a staff meeting, farewell to an employee or holidays.
Very productive depending what you put in.
Janitorial Services/ Landscaping (Former Employee), Pearl City, HINovember 14, 2014
Pros: productive day
Cons: low pay
Working with others but within your own sector you can develop personal time managment and use your own discretion to help complete your tasks in a timely manner. Landscaping is physically demanding but productive at the end of the day. I enjoy all different life learning experiences, and challenges.
Location is close to place of residence.
Adult Supervisor / Classroom Cleaner (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIOctober 15, 2014
Pros: going on excursursions w/ j.p.o.'s i.e.(movies, bowling, drill competition) also free lunches
Cons: no benefits due to being a part-time job
Arrive at Schools cafeteria during lunchtime and supervise students in lunchline to make sure that they are behaving themselves and to keep they voices down to a tolerable level. Enter cafeteria and make sure they're properly seated. Behavior in building is properly maintained while they're seated. Exit cafeteria and supervise students on the field for lunch recess. Making sure that they play safely and for the injuries that may occur and escort them to the Healthroom. Assist Police offficer with the J.P.O.'s (Junior Police Officers) with their drills.

When aftershool lets out I would go to and enter designated classrooms w/ my cleaning equipment. Empty trash recepticles, Sweep, Mop, Dust, Straighten up, and Vaccumn rugs, also wipe down chalkboards, i.e. erasers, railing.

Staff, co-workers, teachers, and administration, are very helpful and informative with situations that arises.

The hardest part of the job is chasing after certain students to get them back to their classroom after recess.

The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting interesting people.
great place to work, small office enviroment
ELIGIBILITY WORKER (Former Employee), Lihue, HISeptember 9, 2014
A typical day at work is busy,always work to be done, filing, working cases,phone calls,meeting with clients.
Learned to be very organized and being able to multitask throughout the day.
Working with co-workers are great, everyone helps each other.
Keeping on top of completing your job each day, we have alot of paper work, that come in each day.
Helping your clients receive benefits that they need and seeing how thankful they are.
Stressful work enviroment
Special Investigator III (Former Employee), Lihue, HISeptember 5, 2014
A change in management has caused this employment to become a higher stressful job. Daily new management would make inappropriate comments to cause workers to leave work from being stressed and cause the job to become difficult to complete.
Best Job I've Had.
Employee Union Trust Fund (Former Employee), HonoluluAugust 13, 2014
Pros: learned alot about medicare and medical benefits
Cons: dealing with difficult customers
Been here for two years! it was absolutely wonderful, BUT as well as this one it's a temp job for a year and every year if they like you, they'll renew your contract.
Office Administration, Assist inquiries with multi-line phone call, operating office equipments, file management, prepare payment plan,
Office Assistant III (Former Employee), O‘ahu, HIJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great colleaques
Cons: wate fountain can be changed
Very enjoyable to work at the Attorney General Office. I have learned to use people search for legal documents need. Assist in answering multi-line phone, chuting messages via outlook. Hardest part of the job to be vigilant on being a great listener, empathy, and yet assertive when working with debtors in commit to a payment plan.
• Over 9 years of experience in developing Web based and distributed J2EE Enterprise Applications and expertise in implementing Object Oriented Progra
Portal Lead Developer (Current Employee), HoustonJune 5, 2014
• Strong Experience in the development of SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) based systems using JAX-RS & JAX-WS based web services.
• Working experience with Apache Tomcat web server and Weblogic, JBoss, websphere application servers.
• Experience in full System Development Life Cycle (Process Engineering, Design, Development, Deployment Support and Testing).
• Excellent experience in the development of Portlets using JSR168, JSR286 and WSRP specifications.
• Excellent experience in implementation of hook, portlet, EXT plugins and web content structures & templates.
• Extensive experience in major in different open source social networking API’s like Twitter, Facebook, Gmail etc…
• Good experience in developing portlets by using Portlet Framework 1.0 and 2.0 and also excellent experience in implementing Inter Portlet Communication (IPC) between different portlets.
• Good experience with Liferay’s content management system and structure, customizing portlets, and out of the box Liferay features.
• Excellent experience in developing JAX-RPC and JAX-WS based webservices using Axis2/CXF Framework.
• Experience in java application testing using JUNIT framework and SoapUI for unit testing.
• Extensive experience in major build management systems and version systems such as Visual Source Safe (VSS), CVS, GIT and SVN.
• Proficient in implementing various Java/J2EE design patterns including Singleton, Factory, Abstract Factory, MVC, Front Controller, DAO etc.
• Good experience in developing enterprise content management system using Alfresco CMS.
• Experience in configuring and deploying java web applications (WAR and EAR) on Web logic, JBoss 4.x and Tomcat 4.x/5.x/6.x application servers.
• Hands on experience in writing/using build scripts based on ANT, MAVEN build tool.
• Good in analytical skills, problem solving, communication, interpersonal skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks or projects working independently as well within a team also.
Excellent
Teacher (Former Employee), Wahiawā, HIMay 2, 2014
It was an excellent place to work. There was always something to do, so the day would go by quickly.
All around hard work
Kitchen Worker-Prep Cook & Server (Former Employee), Kailua, HawaiiFebruary 10, 2014
Cutting, mixing, prepping and serving meals to a population of 350 people on a daily basis
Great job
Building Maintenance (Former Employee), HonoluluJanuary 28, 2014
Great people to work with. Good benfits, great co-workers, alot of growth
Active & Responsible Work Ethics
JANITOR II (Current Employee), hawaiiSeptember 15, 2013
I like competition and challenges in daily work and personal activities and motivated to improvement, time management, and productivity in completing projects, knowledge, finance, and health.
Work involves teamwork and having the tools in keeping up with assigned duties. Cooperation with management in moral and ethics.
The completion of a good day's work.
I have enjoyed my position working with children in school setting
School Based Behavior Health Specialist (Current Employee), Hickam - Pearl Harbor Joint Base, HonoluluAugust 30, 2013
I have gained expereince in the last 12yrs working with military families in schools located in the community as well as my current location at Pearl Harbor Joint Base in Honolulu
Competitive workplace.
Construction Foreman (Former Employee), Kahului, HIJuly 31, 2013
Pros: bring your own lunch.
Cons: lousy work furnishings.
You can apply for an internally posted job opening here and be notified that the position has been eliminated, then find the same position posted in the local newspaper.