State of Illinois Employee Reviews

Poor mangement/ this is time bomb waiting to explode
Juvenile Justice Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILFebruary 4, 2017
This place is worst that the cook county detention center. Staff assualts are at a all time high. It's almost like the incident in Delaware. They have again unqualified individuals in positions of administration to the Director. The staff is overworked, targeted, and not supported. This job is stressful and it will shorten your life span. Get in get the experience and definately get out,
Pros
there are no pros
Cons
everything
job is good to work at.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  state of illinoisJanuary 9, 2017
I enjoy working for the state as a pharmacy tech. enjoy working with people at the pharmacy. couple of people give me hard time though. the hours are great. I like the lunch breaks. don't have to work on weekends. while working in the pharmacy, I learned name brand to generic medications. putting orders on computers. reading medication order forms. people I work with are very helpful and are good at what they do. the downfall is not the job itself, it's certain people that you work with can hamper your job performance sometimes. overall the job is a pretty good place to work
Pros
lunchbreaks. convienant hours
Cons
certain people i work with
State employment is in jeopardy with the plight of state government
Internal Investigator II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisJanuary 5, 2017
My overall experience was positive. The people I had the pleasure of working with were enriching. As with any job there is always an insecure person who should not be in management and who in their misery attempt to make the lives of their co-workers and subordinates miserable as well. My positions afforded me glances at the world through the lives of others that I otherwise might not have taken note of. My time with the state afforded me a full rotation view of life and the possibilities thereof.
Pros
Decent Benefit Package
Cons
Political Power Struggles
Compassionate
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2016
Provide care to the disabled. Assist with the daily living needs including but not limited to: cooking and preparing meals, assist with dressing, grooming, personal hygiene. Transport to appointments, grocery store, community outings, and other events. Dispense medication and just provide a comfortable and safe environment for the client.
Pros
Support
Cons
I'm very compassionate for the elderly and the diabled
Run!!!! This is incredibly stupid....
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chester mental healthMarch 15, 2017
Understaffed....mandated OT is dangerous and unfairly distributed.....management is clueless and could not care less. You can bank OT or get paid...complicated system, you never know if you refuse paid correctly.....and calling payroll gets you nowhere...nobody knows anything.
Pros
Benefits good
Cons
Exhausting, dangerous OT, clueless management
Interesting, highly energetic place to work.
Barber/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Sheridan, ILNovember 28, 2016
The job was very fast pace, things were completed usually within a specific time period, and in order for the task to be completed sufficiently things were completed by a crew of people. I learned to use my skills more efficiently. My co-workers were a fun group of people to work with we respected one another on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job was not having enough work on a daily bases. The most enjoyable part was working with my fellow co-workers.
Pros
free lunch, comp time
Cons
working most holidays
Productive work place
Auditor, Mortgage Broker Division (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2017
a typical day at work was to audit financials for mortgage brokers insuring they could operate without living off their clients.

the hardest part of the job was the volume of financials to be reviewed, the most enjoyable was working with like minded individuals.
Pros
It was a St of IL job
Cons
I don't have any
Working with families
Child Welfare worker and supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cook county, will co, Kankakee countyDecember 2, 2016
Work days will be full of things to get done. The trainings are immense so you learn alot about people and how to understand their needs. In my opinion, these training are far more enlighten then any 4 year college education. Management is good, co-workers are good and in the same place that you are in, always busy. Hardest part of the job, is although it is 8:30- 5pm, the work activities tend to often go over that time frame, so while you are not force nor asked to work beyond 5pm (very often) but you often willing work after 5pm, due to your commitment to your clients. The most enjoyable part is you knowing you are helping others, no matter how small or little, you can see they appreciate it and in that moment when you extend yourself to their need, you know it makes a difference. That was the beautiful part of the job. And in hind sight, the benefits are really great.
A great place to work and learn
Administrative Assistant/ LAB TECHICIAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2017
A businesss work day
Computer
Microsoft
Working with great people and meeting new people
The manger ment was great
My co-worker were friendly and kind. They did not mind helping you.We was like a family.
Pros
TRAINING ALL THE TIME
Working for the Speaker of the House
Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2016
Transferring calls
setting up Video conference call equipment
setting up the hearing room for Committee hearings

"PONY MAIL"
a system where our "Pony Trucks" drive from and to Springfield to Chicago. contact the Rep's Office Manager to come downtown to pick up packages.

Create signs for particular seating for elected officials

Obtaining Liquor licenses for special events

Data entry/processing volunteers ( state database programs)

Volunteering for political events
Pros
Netwroking, free political fuctions
Cons
my job duites sometimes never end
Excellent place to work
Executive/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2016
Great staff, great people and great experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is community outreach/constituent services. It's very full-filling and satisfying knowing you can help other people.
Best Job to date.
benefits
Cons
advancement
Great company to work for
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2017
I enjoyed working with the State of IL. My supervisor had excellent communication skills my team of caseworkers was great as well. I would definitely work for them again if i moved back to Illinois.
Slow day
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 2, 2017
Not extremely busy. Too much down time. Excellent managers and co workers. Day consisted of entering Accounts Receivable information from vendors and sending payment notices.
Pros
Excellent Managers/Co-Workers
Cons
Slow
Great experience, humbling
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradley, ILJanuary 6, 2017
for someone like me at the time, a young teenager, there wasn't a better job out there. taught you life values and made you a better person. There wasn't much of a typical job feeling, since it wasn't one.
Workplace
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILOctober 21, 2016
 Maintain a well presentable home environment by assisting with laundry and cleaning around the house for the disabled
 Provide transportation to doctor appointments, shopping and errand runs
 Formulate a healthy full course breakfast, lunch and dinner meal
fun place to work with good pay and benefits
Maitenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2016
fun place to work with good pay and benefits It was fun to work with different people and different cultures. plus I was able to be myself with no issues from others
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Dixon, ILDecember 1, 2016
Enjoy my job and the people I work with. Benefits are good. Have no complaints about the job. Supervisor is easy to work with and cares about employees.
Pros
People I work with
job
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2016
It was a job that was easy and enjoyable, there's not much to tell. I enjoyed the job and would refer others to it, because they would have a very easy and productive day as long as they follow orders that are given.
Great company
Assistant Administrator (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILOctober 26, 2016
Team work was at a very high level and the success of one is the success of all. Management was at the for front of building and maintaining team work.
enjoyable work environment
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 12, 2016
hard working environment to help individuals find employment no individual merit increases because it depends on the state of Illinois budget and how much is allowed for raises annually
Pros
fun environment
Cons
not recognized or no merit for individuall hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Illinois. Our community is ready to answer.

66%