State of Illinois Employee Reviews in United States

love what i do
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 9, 2016
very comfortable doing this hate it had to leave. This job is one of those jobs where if you have free time do it. clients are nice and u still make up ur hours
Pros
pay
Cons
???????????
Overall Good
Executive II (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 31, 2016
The process of applying and landing a job with the State of Illinois can seem complicated and long but, the staff at the Central Management office are helpful so, ask if, you are unsure of the application process. I found that overall it was a great place to work.
Pros
Hours, benefit and promotional oppurtunities
Cons
can have the occasional poor manager
Learning experience
Collector/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILFebruary 2, 2016
Working for the State of Illinois as a collector/customer service rep. was a very pleasant experience. I learned that to collect you don't have to be a rude person on the phone however one have to be knowledge about every single aspect of the account on one computer. The best part of this job was to multitask so much and everyday and that will involve getting ahold of different departments to find the best resolution for the account. Part of working each account will also include data entry, review other program available to find the best solution for the debtor/customer. I really enjoyed the fact that very few, including myself, were part of meetings to discuss ideas that will improve collections as well as to improve the number of debtors/customers to call in and resolve their account situation.
Pros
Able to utilize my customer service experience to the fullest in English and Spanish.
Cons
Moving to a higher position was very difficult.
productive, and goal orientated
Baby Sitter (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 22, 2016
satisfactory, and well grounded performance and other skills aquired all in all it was a great place to work with great co workers
It was a real learning experience and helped me utilize all my skills and experience.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2016
My typical day at work would be meal preparation, grocery shopping, appointments, bathroom duties, personal hygiene and grooming. A typical day at work would be waking her up, getting her dressed, feeding her and making sure she gets off to work on bus transportation.
Pros
Sharing of food.
Cons
No concs
Certified Veterans Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manteno, ILDecember 13, 2015
Great place to work.I have learned alot about long term care. The hardest part of this job is the daily 16 hour mandations. I enjoy hearing the vets talk about the wars they have fought in.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
\Nri
Human Service Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2015
Worked with residents that had mental -illness diagnosis. Remembering that the clients were sick and that you were to take care of them was helpful
Enjoy work and the knowledge that I am helping people
Manager, Insurance Compliance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2015
Manage a team of investigators engage in investigating uninsured employers. Prepare cases for hearing, approve negotiations and settlements.
We make a difference for people in need
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILNovember 5, 2015
Good people work here. A typical day is to pull interviews from the electronic system and make calls or meet face to face with applicants. The state is in the midst of change. In an effort to bring increased social skills and sensitivity to the applicants served, the administration is hiring workers with advanced degrees in social work and counseling. However, the management in the trenches are feeling the pressure to process quantities of applications using a new system that still has unresolved issues which slow down the application completion process. The pressure of working without an Employee Contract and budget cuts is stressful for all who work at the Department of Human Services. On the other hand, there is a culture of taking one's scheduled breaks which provides a healthy environment.
Pros
Encouraged to take scheduled breaks
Cons
The state has not resolved the budget issues
daily detail oriented and fast paced environment
Bilingual Employment Security Program (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2015
Stay focused, customer driven, provide referrals of other resources available to dislocated workers, intake, review and accurate entry of unemployment appcation and meet deadlines to benefit communtyin a smooth transition during difficult times
Pros
learning
Very easy work culture.
Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 16, 2015
My typical day were always different . I work as a temp worker.
I mostly did office support. Faxing, mail room, work with windows 2010 suites.
Pros
Great lunches
Cons
As a temp worker jobs were never long term.
great place to work, and aquire skills
Retired, Mental Health Administrator 1 (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILOctober 2, 2015
enjoyed my years with the State Of Illinois, very rewarding, accomplished a lot of skills, trained well, and overall secure palce to work.
Pros
lot of overtime!
Cons
worked a lot of weekends
Decent Pay But Back Stabber Central
Counselor (Current Employee) –  LawrenceOctober 1, 2015
Catty women and gossip central, cut throat and will throw you under the bus! Coworkers will sabotage your work to get ahead, it's ridiculous.
Pros
Free lunches, Holidays, hours
Cons
Drama from coworkers
Very fine workplace
Senior Personnel Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago,ilSeptember 24, 2015
It was very rewarding working there learned alot and helped alot of people also wanted to work there it was very rewarding
Hard Worker
Personnel Liaison- Bureau of Budget and Finance (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 23, 2015
The key to being successful is to be open to ideas and being receptive to change. Learning new ways to produce an outcome can be positive not necessarily a burden. I think having patience and understanding comes a long way when accomplishing work place goals.
Pros
location of a job; job security
Cons
overtime
Great Way to meet new people
Mental Health Technician I (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILSeptember 23, 2015
working in the airport was a lot of fun. It was a great way to meet new people including celebrities. The pay was very good for a high school student and they would work with you on your hours.
Pros
meeting new people, good pay
Cons
working on your feet for long periods of times
I do not recommend State employment for RN's, you will lose your skills.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILSeptember 5, 2015
Overall, the only positive thing about State employment, are the individuals we serve. The staff can be very devious, the management treats people terrible, and the Governor, well, we know how he is, Not for the people..... Sad but true...
Pros
Satisfaction of improving a developmentally disabled persons quality of life
Cons
Day to day drama of dealing with hateful people, and Supervisors who have axes to grind
If only the position was permanent instead of contract
Tobacco Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  chicagoSeptember 2, 2015
There were some major plus to working for State of illinois Dept of Revenue Tobacco Compliance Prog. If the position were permanent with benefits I would have had more positive things to report.

I was hired as a contract employee. I thought that the position would be converted to permanent. It was not. Consequently the attitude and behaviour of mgmt wasN'T to create long-term employees. It was more like the trial period you experience when you work for a Temp Agency and are on assignment at a company.

No workstep instructions, or job procedures. Senior employees, new employees and managers gave different answers to the same question.

Critical changes were rolled out via email; emails that often included several different topics. It wasn't uncommon to rcv a forward titled "frwd" or "request office supplies" and it include major duty changes.

In addition, absolutely no log of changes that employees cld reference, a large amount fault finding with no methods, tips, or worksteps to eliminate errors. Requests for performance meetings and OJT with my supervisor were ignored.

It was clear that contract employees did not hold the same value as permanent employees.
Pros
work from home, all office equip, supplies, vehicle provided
Cons
Contract position; no: development, benefits whatsoever
Excellent opportunity
Chief of Systems & Services (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IllinoisAugust 25, 2015
While at the State of Illinois I was able to work in different environments and gain added skills. The people I worked with were dedicated and highly intelligent people who always rose to the occasion when needed.
Pros
Excellent training, great co-workers, very good benefits
Cons
Position was eliminated after the new Governor took office therefore I lost my job.
State of Illinois (Shapiro)
Mental Health Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILAugust 24, 2015
State f Illinois has great benefits. It is a fairly large campus, so there can be a lot of confrontation. Depending on what "unit" you are on management can be great. The best part of the job is teaching the individuals things that we consider "normal"