State of Indiana Employee Reviews

pay sucks
Secretary 4 (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 2, 2016
In my opinion the state doesn't pay well. you can't live off of this income. Great place to work if you have kids because you can flex your work schedule.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
pay sucks
dedicated to good service and safety
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 16, 2016
when i was with the State of Indiana I was able to develop so many skills concerning operating a boiler or managing the temperature,water,and chemical control.It was a pleasure and a honor to be trusted by my supervisors to ensure theses task were completed everyday successfully.I came there with little experience and i left as one of the head guys.Great company that was very understanding when i left.
Pros
promotes empowerment
Cons
you get very dirty
Good for building experience.
Director (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 15, 2016
Budget cuts and politics have cut necessary staff to bone. Culture is pretty casual. Great co-workers for the most part.
Pros
Time off - leave time
Cons
Pay and medical benefit cost
Good job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bunker Hill, INAugust 13, 2016
Good job and worked with great people. A typical day is very stressful for most people, as you deal with inmates on your 12hr. shift (or 14 if you get drafted).
Pros
Job is needed all the time
Cons
Drafting/overtime, long shifts
Government Board Member
Selective Service Board Member (Former Employee) –  IndianaAugust 6, 2016
I never worked for the State, this is the U.S. Selective Service. I volunteer my time to serve my country as a board member.
I truly enjoy helping others
State Eligibility Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 22, 2016
I have enjoyed working for the state of Indiana as a employee and a contract worker for the past 6 years. I would love to be at a company that has more growth in this field
Not the type of job you are happy with
Manager of Research and Development (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 18, 2016
Depending on where you are working. If you find yourself far from the Government Center then you will be a lot happier.

The cut throat atmosphere by the leadership of the agencies is scary. They will request you to do illegal things and make sure you are the one held responsible when exposed.

Careful on finding mismanagement of funds or violations of law. This will get you a quick ticket out of your position or agency.

Too many secrets.
Pros
Tons of work to do
Cons
No Employee Protections, No Closed Door rules, you are required to work whenever you are told, even if you are hourly, you are required to work without pay, and so much more.
Offers Room for Advancement
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 11, 2016
Working with this staff has offered me the opportunity to have a family away from home. We all work together as a team and resolve issues together
Hard Working Employees Often Overlooked
Application Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 30, 2016
I have been in various agencies over the years and find the lazy 'it doesn't matter' culture pervasive within all three agencies I have been with. I take my work very seriously and feel undervalued and underappreciated. Management ignores suggestions and discourages creativity. Sad.
Pros
Most agencies have flexible PTO policies. Both main buildings have cafeterias.
Cons
Young employees are ran out by 1920s work-culture.
Specifications and review of durable and non-durable goods
Real Estate Broker - Licensed (Current Employee) –  InactiveJune 28, 2016
Comfortable work environment. Upper management was supportive of new ideas and available at all times.
I enjoyed the interaction with different departments as well as vendors.
Pros
supportive staff, good work environment.
Cons
Upper Management very political
State is no good
Eligibility Specialist, Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJune 25, 2016
They act like this job and benefits are great and that there is plenty room to advance when in reality it is not. The benefits are expensive and are terrible. They try to work you into the ground and don't be a good worker because they will take advantage of you. Sucking up is the name of the game so pucker up or you'll be in the same position for years on a pay freeze.
Great Career
Correctional Lieutenant/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pendleton, INJune 9, 2016
Fast paced
Always something different
Job security
Room for advancement
Team atmosphere
Co-workers are great
Great comrade

Typical day is a 12-16 hour shift working with offenders/juveniles in a prison environment where safety and security is paramount.
Pros
Great Team to work with
Cons
Having to get searched every day
Job Security
Employee Relations Specialist 1 (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 1, 2016
State of Indiana is an overall good place to work. Great balance between work and personal life. Compensation could be better.
Fun job, yet left due to relocation.
Family Case Manager/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Angola, INMay 30, 2016
Working with clients and children on better parenting skills. After school program to assist children in low income situation. Positive Role Modeling and counseling.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Distance
Immediate supervisors are good
Gaming Enforcement Agent/Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 13, 2016
The employment was fun, learned a lot about my career. It is political as any law enforcement job. The immediate supervisors were amazing and lead you in the correct direction.
productive learning expierience
Page (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 2, 2016
We were given papers to give to select senators and got to talk with them and engage in learning about the legislative branch. i learned that hard work and integrity is a big part of the senators jobs. i loved every moment of this experience, and proud to put on a resume.
Dealing with State Employees and their Benefits
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 30, 2016
A typical day was talking with State employees about their benefits with the State of Indiana.

It was very interesting and I loved the customer service part of the job as well as many of the projects and other assignments.
Pros
Good Insurance Benefits
Cons
Low Salary
Too much transferring from place to place and job to job.
D.O.L. Clerk/Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Bunker Hill, INMarch 11, 2016
I learned a lot of different skills from working at several different jobs while working for the State of Indiana. Most of my supervisors were easy to get along with. I also had two of the best supervisors ever while working in the motorpool as a mechanic.
Great summer internship
Lt. Governor's Internship (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2016
Awesome internship to increase my professional skills. Awesome experience meeting other college students from around the state of Indiana.
Breed Development Clerk (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 4, 2016
I work with a nice group of people. For fun atmosphere. I enjoyed meeting the horsemen that race in the industry. We know how to get work done and have a productive work day as well.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
some of the horsemen can be rude.