State of Indiana

State of Indiana Employer Reviews

My summary
License Clerk (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INMarch 10, 2015
I processed titles, gave drives licenses out and process test for CDL drivers, bus drives etc. High pace job. And very busy from the time we clock in until the time we leave I love job that are fasted pace it makes the day go much faster.
social services privatized
State Eligibility Consultant (SEC) (Former Employee), Hammond, INMarch 8, 2015
Pros: gives the opportunity to help people
Cons: unrealistic job requirement
Not good to make this kind of work impersonal. Wasn't allowed to take the time and do you job right. Not enough time allotted to process cases and get all of job duties done.
Communications Section with IDEM
Information Director (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2015
Created and managed multi-media, digital content and information for agency including publications, video, social media and web based applications consistent with CMS. Managed and advocated marketing plans, and outreach events. Increased stakeholder capacity while maintaining operational communications plan under fiscal guidelines and time schedules.
Long Term Employment
Family Case Manger (Former Employee), Winamac, INJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: some mgt. issues with departments
High Turn over rates with long hours. Multiple counties and not all follow same procedures.
work day
Telecommunications Analyst Supervisor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: freedom
Cons: low pay
Design, redesign, write RFP's, supervise projects, test and implement, provide maintenance and repair. Designed a state wide WAN and RF network for the DOC. I worked with many different departments within the state.
Designed telecommunications network for Westfield Correctional, also RFP'd for telephone switches for DOC.
Productive and fun workplace where I can help people.
Secretary 3 (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 29, 2014
My working day involves working for about 7-8 Attorneys (with one being disabled) with administrative/clerical work. I assist one attorney with getting out her medicine daily, setting up her cell phones, getting her things placed on her desk, etc. I learned that helping people will pay off in the end. Our management staff is alright. My co-workers are great and fun to work with. The hardest part of my job is having to deal with management not wanting to pay you for what you're worth. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to communicate with a lot of people.
Quiet Setting
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 17, 2014
Pros: paid lunch hour, knowledgable staff
Cons: long walk from garage to office
For such a large office, the environment is very low-key.
There is in depth use of PeopleSoft, which has provided me with a solid foundation to move forward in Human Resources.
The hours are nice at 8am-4:30pm, so there is a decent work/life balance.
LINE OF DUTY COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 10, 2014
Pros: grateful people
Cons: stressful
Very busy taking care of Soldiers
The hardest part of the job was not being able to do enough.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having a soldier and their family say thank you.
Welcome to the Political Jungle
Family Case Manager Supervisor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, IndianaNovember 25, 2014
Pros: benefits, competitive pay, advancement opportunities
Cons: politics with upper management, lack of support, never-ending work day, unwritten expectations
Prepare to work in an environment where "who" you know or are related to is much more important than "what" you know including the ability to do the job. There are a lot of agendas and constant rule changes from what is policy versus what is actually practiced and expected. Management is a joke. You have people with less experience being promoted but asking veterans all of the "how to" questions. The hardest part of the job is the expectation that you want to work on your off days without compensation. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmostphere you create for yourself and genuinely loving what you do enough to make opportunities for families you work with through contacts.
Loved my job but it was reorganized and outsourced
Clerical assistant IV (Former Employee), Scottsburg, INOctober 30, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: rigid regulations
I worked for the Division of Family and Children. I liked helping people and seeing how my job would help the caseworkers and the clients find success and self sufficiency if that is what they desired. I learned how to deal with difficult clients at times. Management was strict and the policies had to be followed to the letter. I enjoyed working on the computer system the most. I would answer the telephone, enter medical expenses and help clients complete applications along with making appointments.
I loved the atmosphere and the people.
Brookville Lake Gate Attendant (Former Employee), Brookville, INOctober 29, 2014
I absolutely loved my job but there is no way someone could survive off the pay scale.
Secretary 3 (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 22, 2014
I enjoy my job and my co-workers. I work for eight (8) Attorney's on a daily basis. I work for Attorney's who deal with Medicaid, Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, Aging and much more. I prepare letters for the Administrative Law Judges to sign, letters for pre-hearing and other letters on a daily basis. I do customer service work, relieve the Administrative Assistant every other week for lunch, greet individuals who may come in the office for questions or appointments. Other duties that may be assigned.
Terrible management from the top
Family Case Manager Supervisor (Current Employee), IndianaOctober 15, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: everything else
An agency becomes what its top management emulates. Some of the people in the upper ranks are very bad human beings.
great place to work flexable
liaison (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 10, 2014
Pros: hr lunch good benefits
• Per evaluation I have consistently exceeded all expectations regarding performance and ability.
• Currently I am the only State Eligibility Consultant in our area that creates, conducts and completes training with co-workers and the Eligibility Specialists.
• I have assisted in creating specialized groups in order to serve the clients in Marion County more effectively and have been recognized for this by my superiors.
Great job if like to accomplish nothing
Senior System Administrator (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 1, 2014
Pros: monday - friday 9 am - 5 pm. very little ot.
Cons: see review
Like most of the public believes the government accomplishes very little. This is due to a combination of bureaucracy, infighting, egos, rampant favoritism, and poor decisions. Throw in the fact that they provide little to no training for new applications or skills they ask of you. That about sums up the working environment. However, once you've accepted all of this, high stress, and potential damage to your career skills you've got it made there. There's a reason most people don't leave their government jobs. You can get away with doing nothing and get paid for it.
Stable job, focused on hlping people not profits
BDRS Director (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: stable, predictible
Cons: pay, enthusiasm, communication.
I am not sure what else to say. Forcing me to say more in the form of an automated fascist control coding is exactly the kind of company I despise and will never work for. I think we all need kindness and loyalty from our employer which is so very rare in this throw away employee economy.
Well-rounded and multi-faceted employer
Family Case Manager II (Current Employee), Anderson, INAugust 3, 2014
Pros: work environment, training, benefits
Cons: nature of the work
Overall, the State of Indiana is a good employer with a very large database for employment. The Department of Child Services (my current department) is working to better the lives of children, and families, within the State of Indiana - a task that is rarely easy to do and often requires great commitment by everyone involved. The responsibilities, observations, and overall work requires a very special employee and management team.
Fun workplace
Temporary Program Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 29, 2014
Investigated and analyzed unemployment fraud cases while using discretion to protect individuals’ privacy. Always maintained a professional attitude while speaking with individuals under investigation despite often negative reactions.
Would like to work there again
Administrative Assistant to the Director (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 13, 2014
Managed, prepared, serviced, and maintained service contract records for the 170 Bureau of Motor Vehicle License Branches. The contract included but not limited to the following:
- Janitorial Care.
- Floor care- hard surfaces and carpeted areas.
- Snow removal and lawn care.
- Window care and drinking water.
- Requests for moving office furniture in the Administrative Department of the Bureau
of Motor Vehicles.
- Located vendor and offered them to submit bid(s) for these service contracts.
- Assisted customers via telephone and in person with regards to their motor vehicle needs.
This job was difficult at best.
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INJuly 11, 2014
Pros: a paycheck
Cons: not enough training, being treated badly.
A typical work day began as soon as you sat down. The employees were not allowed to leave our desk/cubicle without permission. We were expected to do an abundant amount of work with very little training. Management was unfriendly and made this an unbearable place to work. The hardest part of the job was feeling like you were in a concentration camp. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers.

1 2 3 4