State of Iowa Employee Reviews

great
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAMarch 24, 2017
it was a very interesting job that i quite enjoyed and would do it again in a heartbeat i was paid well with great benefits i love iowa and working for it
Amazing...
Computer System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAMarch 14, 2017
Great place to work for! Employees care about their jobs and management fully supports each and everyone of them in their daily tasks! Fun place to work!
Political Game Playing
State Long-Term Carer Ombudsman (Former Employee) –  IowaMarch 5, 2017
Advocacy not honored and the rights of persons who are elderly or suffering from some form of disability not being honored/respected/protected by regulatory agencies, service providers, or Governor, so focus became the removal of whomever would adhere to the mandates of federal laws to protect the vulnerable consumers
Lots of cross training for back up. Made it feel like a team environment.
ITSW2 (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 1, 2017
My department was laid off after being lied too. I was told I was going to be promoted and wasn't. I still have them a 110% everyday. I made procedure manual for all my coworkers so they could be successful.
Pros
Benefits are excellent. Most of the staff are easy to work with.
Cons
Management not being open and honest with staff.
Typical working for Goverment
Instructor / Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 22, 2017
I enjoyed a management position with the State. The hours could by quite long at times. The work was interesting and I learned a great deal. The culture of working for government is not for everyone. I personally would work for government again
A Professional Workplace
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 19, 2017
I really enjoy working at the State of Iowa . I learned a lot working here . It was a very unique experience cleaning on the complex.
Babysitter (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, IAJanuary 11, 2017
Got to watch and work with good kids. Nice family to help with child care while working through some family problems and needed a reliable babysitter.
Pros
Worked from home.
Cons
Worked from home.
good company to work for
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Clarinda, IADecember 30, 2016
I started as labor and appreciated the working environment the chance for advancement .I was put in charge of dirt crew setting grade for conduit and steam pipe.I later switched to carpenter setting scaffold and forms all of this was union.
Pros
we hade monthly meeting and discused safety on the site they would bring lunch
Cons
every job has its ups and downs for the most part it was up
Chief Operating Officer (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IowaOctober 3, 2016
The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division is a good place to work though does have challenging dynamics with shifting priorities which is normal in state government.
Nice place to work for many years.
Filed Auditor (Former Employee) –  Three Triton Circle, Fort Dodge, IaAugust 23, 2016
For many years it was a wonderful place to work. But, in the past 5 years the territories have become so vast that no one can maintain their workload within a 40 hour work week. Due to this, turn over has become a constant area of concern. The training is sparse and minimal at best.
Pros
Challenging eveyday, which made the time fly! Great benefits, decent salary, good hours, great co-workers
Cons
Poor training, unable to reach management when needed, very poor morale due to management taking away flex time hours, increasing the territories, while reducing staff
Educational
Resident Treatment Worker (Former Employee) –  Independence, IAAugust 22, 2016
As an RTW, my daily routine was to help patients with their treatment plans and coping skills. We would watch for any escaltation that sometimes takes place between patients and/or patient and physician and/or nurses.

I typed up treatment plans for the physicians and nurses. I provided feedback to the nurse in charge. I would chart on the patients assigned to me at the end of each shift.
Pros
Helping those with mental health issues to be able to survive outside of a hospital setting
Cons
can be dangerous
Positive place to work
Data Entry/Mail room (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 9, 2016
Everyone was positive and fun, very friendly and helpful, this was also a temp job, I tried to get on perm but they weren't hiring at the time. I enjoyed the work
State of Iowa
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 25, 2016
A great place to work. Instantly in work as soon as you arrive to assist employers of Iowa. The hardest part of the job, not being able to assist employers in person.
Challenging, exciting, intencive and gratifying
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAMarch 29, 2016
keeping an active log, receiving violators and searching their clothing and property for contraband, assigning living quarters, clothing, bedding. Making sure that their constitutional needs are met. If they need medical attention etc.Transporting violators to and from the facility for court.

Maintaining accurate logs and doing security checks to keep the state facility safe for the public, employees and violators.

Warden is the highest position, taking direction and following all safety and work rules that apply from the warden or his/her designee.

Staff are motivated and dedicated public employees, we all help one another when we work together as a team.

Remaining professional in a volatile situations and maintaining a clam domineer and taking control of the situation.

being a role model for violators, and co-workers in the worksite making sure I represent the best of myself as a professional to the public and the facility.
Pros
rewarding challenges, doing the job right and keeping the public safe as well as the violators.
Cons
no breeaks on a busy day, bordem on days that have little action.
Very good benefits.
Bureau Chief (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 1, 2016
The state offers a good benefit program.

However, there is more to life than pay and benefits. I am looking for a position with work-life balance and one in which I can help others be successful.
Benefits
Cons
Work-life balance.
Medicaid Contract Worker
Medicaid Contractor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaFebruary 29, 2016
I worked as a contact worker with a limited time in employment. There was an avenue to move over to full time, however I was not interested due to relatively low pay
Pros
Flexible Time Off with proper scheduling
Cons
Lack of Activity at work (Sitting around, waiting for something to happen)
Enjoyed working there
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mitchellville, IAFebruary 25, 2016
I was generally busy from the time I got there to the time I left each day. I spent much of my day working with the Volunteer/ Safety coordinate which brought on new challenges I was able to complete. I worked with all Volunteers, scheduling multiple programs throughout the institution. and I enjoy the diversity this job brought to me.I worked well with my co-workers as well as my superiors.
Set work hours and great benefits.
Revenue Examiner 3 (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 13, 2015
Answer all questions concerning tax billings via e-mail, phone and written correspondence. Examine tax returns and prepare tax billings under heavy work load which required time management skills. Working with co-workers is crucial to the job for resolution and to reconcile with all tax types. Recalculating amended tax returns as far back as twenty years is a extreme challenge due statute of limitations prior errors and changing laws over the years. My job was rewarding because my work benefited the State of Iowa.
Pros
Great benifits and state pension.
Cons
Extremly high work load.
Fun and Family Oriented
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Mitchellville, IADecember 1, 2015
I enjoy working for the state of Iowa I have gained several years of experience and the ability to become a people person as I like helping those that are in need of assistance.
Pros
Free Kunch
Cons
Breaks not long enough
Rewarding atmosphere and teamwork
Iowa Army National Guard (Former Employee) –  Middletown, IANovember 20, 2015
Workplace has supportive management and excelled at promoting general harmony in that place. Helped to develop soldiers in accomplished their missions. A bonding environment to succeed at any level of life.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Iowa. Our community is ready to answer.