State of Iowa

State of Iowa Employer Reviews

A good place to work. I enjoyed my job and working with others.
State Legislsator (Current Employee), Dubuque, IANovember 15, 2014
It was a great opportunity to work for the State of Iowa. It was great to achieve all of the accomplishments I have in the last 25 years.
Overall a good place to work
Training Specialist (Current Employee), State of IowaJune 19, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work with a diverse group of people
Out going but hard working, and organized
Educator and Recruiter (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAJune 17, 2014
I always arrive to work early and well before my day begins so that I have plenty of time to prepare for my day.

I would then catch up on items left from the previous work day, or weekend and check new incoming mail.

Finally I would organized my plan for the day, and begin working and making the best of the day.

Throughout the day I would remain – more... focused, productive but with a positive attitude.

Whatever my day brings, or however the work load looks - I will make the best of the time I have. – less
Stayed busy all day and time would go by fast
Cabinet (Former Employee), Anamosa, IowaJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: good place to learn
Cons: no benefits
Management always ready to help and got along with coworkers.
Every day is a surprise.
Court Attendant (Current Employee), IAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: good compensation and benefits, interesting people and free lunches!
Cons: no free parking!
The Polk County Courthouse is a fantastic place to work. I have been fortunate enough to be assigned to a Judge who has taken the time to teach me the ins and outs of effective courtroom procedure. We have been able to develop a very effective team relationship.

The most difficult aspect of my job would have to be not knowing what your courtroom assignment – more... is from day to day. But by the same token, it's tolerable because it means your week is sure to be interesting. – less
A very melencholoy job
Suicide and Self-Injury Prevention Worker (Former Employee), MitchellvilleDecember 28, 2013
Pros: the hours fit my schedule at the time
Cons: this job wared on your psyche.
I did not enjoy this job because I felt I could not do any thing to help these individuals. My job was to observe patients to make sure that they did not do anything to harm themselves, I could not socialize with them or try to help them in any way.
Fun place
State Affirmative Action Chair (Former Employee), State of IowaSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: great people and knowledge
Cons: no pay
I was able to work on ideas to create more of a functioning group, I worked with others to manage how all things worked with each area around the state.
Corrections officer (Former Employee), Oakdale, IowaSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: good retirement
Cons: too much forced overtime
It was a good place to work. I learned a lot about security and most of all about people. Mamagement was OK but, were set in their ways and didn't wasnt to make changed. Co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part on that job was putting up with some of the inmated.
it sucks
Metal Shop Lead Fabricator (Former Employee), Fort Dodge, IASeptember 11, 2013
do not work for them there are so many things in the fine print that will confuse you
Dictatorial leadership style and anti-employee sentiment
HR (Former Employee), Des Moines, IASeptember 2, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: unprofessional management
State employees are hard working and dedicated, contrary to public belief. I have the best co-workers I could have.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with management that doesn't support the workers and treats them like children and pursues their agendas at the cost of the employees.

The best part is that my hours are very flexible and I can – more... work from home when needed. – less
Different in Different Departments.
Legal Assistant and Investigator (Secretary 2) (Current Employee), Des Moines, IowaAugust 31, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: bad management
I have worked for the State of Iowa for years in different departments. I have found out every one of these departments has been completely different in how they support their employees. Some have been good, some terribly wrong. I cannot handle terrible wrong.
Hard Work but you learn a lot.
Labor/ Painter (Former Employee), Mt. Pleasant ,IowaAugust 19, 2013
I learned how to grow a lot of Vegetables and how to identify their diseases as well as insects.. I went into the Paint Department and learned how to paint and sheet rock buildings.
Loved being a C/O
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Fort Madison, IAAugust 5, 2013
Pros: max security, training, co-workers
Cons: budget cuts, staffing
17 years there. Still miss a lot of co-workers. Not a safety minded management style.
Lost focus
Veterans' Employment Representative (Former Employee), Davenport, IAJuly 17, 2013
Budget focused organization with minimal long term investment into the individuals who make up its base.
Great Work Enviroment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJuly 9, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: repetitive mundane boring work
The environment was outstanding. I found that daily activies could become very mundane and boring but the people I worked with could provide some good smiles. Management was reasonable and fair, the made clear and smart decisions and could explain their expectations and reasoning.
Proud to work with State Of Iowa
Information Technology Specialist III (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAApril 27, 2013
Proud to be part of State of Iowa and to serve all Iowans and make sure they all get their child support in time.
Most of the people are easy to get along with
Metal Shop Lead Fabricator (Former Employee), Fort Dodge, IAMarch 21, 2013
The atmosphere is relaxed and most of your co-workers are easy to get along with
Working for the State of Iowa
ITS-3, Database Administrator (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: more job security
Cons: pay is not as good as that of the private sector
A typical day involves working on upgrades to systems, checking to make sure systems are running correctly, creating reports for users and evaluating possible new systems.
Busy, quite workplace that is essential for Technology in Iowa.
Info Tech 3 (Current Employee), Capital Complex Hoover Bldg. Des Moines, IowaJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: ipers retirement benifits
Cons: hiring only contractors. no advancement
I work 7am-15:30 Mon-Fri, I worked as a computer operator various days & shifts for 26 years. My current job duties varies from day to day.
I do billing files(12) for the mainframe, web services, networking and desktop, I develop 44 graphs. The graphs are develop on Excell. I then put them on PowerPoint and Dashboad using FrontPage. I get the invoices – more... from finance. I record them and send on to the correct management for approval. Finance will not process payment until they recieve aproval. I track all the invoices, which included HW leases & DOs.
I work alone but depend on various people for information, etc. An employer with higher status just retired and I have taken on some of hers duties,
I use Excel, PowerPoint, eDAS, I3, Faid, etc.
It's a very busy but quiet workplace. I have worked two floors underground for the past 33 years. We do have a TV & exercise bike in the break area.
The DAS-ITE department is vary supportive for Toys for Tots and the food bank. Each year a certain item is collected - ex.. toothpaste, soap - to achieve a set goal of hundreds. Basically an ongoing fund raisers throughout the year. – less
programmer
PROGRAMMER ANALYST (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAOctober 3, 2012
Pros: mmis, idc-10
Cons: end of contract
Part of a team of programmer in the enhancement of a VSAM/CICS Medicaid Claims System. Coded, tested, implemented
Cobol/CICS programs. Assisted with the analysis, and coding of the ICD-10 conversion for the MMIS system.