State of Iowa Employee Reviews

Fun and Family Oriented
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Mitchellville, IADecember 1, 2015
I enjoy working for the state of Iowa I have gained several years of experience and the ability to become a people person as I like helping those that are in need of assistance.
Pros
Free Kunch
Cons
Breaks not long enough
Rewarding atmosphere and teamwork
Iowa Army National Guard (Former Employee) –  Middletown, IANovember 20, 2015
Workplace has supportive management and excelled at promoting general harmony in that place. Helped to develop soldiers in accomplished their missions. A bonding environment to succeed at any level of life.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare
Excellent benefits
Word Processor III (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 25, 2015
Excellent benefits and some flexibility but low pay. Enjoy working for the state but higher pay needed. Insurance and retirement plans are very good. Location is good.
worked on my own and at the clients pace.
CDAC provider (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IAAugust 1, 2015
I had a certain amount of hours for each client a month so I would have split them up across three to five days a week and designate laundry days, errands, ect. The clients were the manager. I had no co-workers. I enjoyed knowing at the end of the day I kept that many more people in their homes.
Pros
you got to make the weekly plan with the tenant
Cons
only got paid once a month
Job is rewarding in improving the lives of Iowa
WORKFORCE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IowaAugust 1, 2015
Assisting those who require assistance in job seeking
Team work environment
Opportunities for advancement
Steady employment with excellent salary and benefits
If you are hired with State of Iowa you will enrich your skills and abilities to grow as an individual
Love my job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, State Liquor LocationJuly 31, 2015
Was laid off

Very fast past.
Receptionist, face of company. Greeted public. Customer Service
Answered Phones. Mail outs.
Also Keyed 80-100 liquor orders per day for different stores accross Iowa for weekly Liquor order we delieverd.

Co workers were great, I mostly worked alone, everyone else was safe behind walls and locked doors. Enjoyed it all
Pros
CEO Lynn Walding, was the best he been there, tons of years when new Branstand took office he was let go 4 others
state government
Analysit (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 10, 2015
Each morning I received a printout of companies that reported unexpected employment numbers or employee earnings, my job was to explain the reason for the changes (possibly a seasonal effect in the number of employees, a mistake on the filing form, or some other reason), and coding the account to reflect my findings.
I also received new business information and applied a classification for the business, then issued a tax number.
Pros
able to work at my own pace
Cons
constant incomming calls
Pleasant place to work, good work location
Clerk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, IAJune 3, 2015
I love my job and what I do for the State. I love to interact with the public but while it's enjoyable it is also the hardest part. There are so many rules that are ever changing. Some people that come for assistance are rather difficult to deal with as well as a joy.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Micro managment
Very nice place to work.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAJune 1, 2015
This is the best job I have ever had. It is interesting every day due to the environment being different. One would never know what type of day there were going to have.
awsome
Supervisor of housekeeping and laundry (Former Employee) –  Marion, IAMay 28, 2015
very empowering place to work. very chaotic work place not structured and managers were in place to make decisions but director always found fault with each decision for most except her favorites.
Very stressful place to work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAApril 9, 2015
The hazing in the IDOC environment is awful. There is very poor management as well. The staff that you are working with works against you while training.
Great job for a single person with no life
Senior Correctional Officer Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Rockwell City, IAMarch 10, 2015
long hours... always plan on being mandated to work a double because people are calling in sick.
be prepared to never have a weekend off for 5-7 years!
hope you dont have a family cause they will never see you.
you will be on nights for most of your career unless you like having tuesdays and wednesdays off! management is horrible. overpaid and do not care. always out to get you fired. ALWAYS.
Pros
free insurance
Cons
no life
It is a State Correctional Facility
Plant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IowaMarch 2, 2015
I provide supervisory duties to 18 maintenance staff. Assigning work orders and other daily tasks as they develop. I also project manage large updates and remodels of the facility.
Pros
job security and benifits
Cons
i would like to travel more.
Excellent Work Place
Judicial Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 26, 2015
This might have been my favorite job. Everyday there was something unexpected, the work was easy and flowed nicely and the environment (people) were amazing!
held several jobs over the 27 years of working for the State of Iowa
Typist Advanced (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 22, 2015
I started out in microfilm, filming confidential documents for several different departments then I went to the food stamp vault sending out food stamp. Then I went to Child abuse and answered the phone taking child and adult abuse calls. I worked as receptionist for purchasing agents, then to Federal Surplus and then combined it with State surplus.
Pros
vacation and sick leave
State of Iowa Review
Patient Health Coordinator & Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 15, 2014
I enjoyed working with patients on a daily basis that needed coaching, mentoring and advice. I assisted them with their drug addiction problems, with their mental health problems (working a great deal with suicidal patients) and working specifically as a Lock-In Coordinator to help with their pharmacy, ER hospital and physician over use and abuse towards the healthcare system.
A good place to work. I enjoyed my job and working with others.
State Legislsator (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IANovember 15, 2014
It was a great opportunity to work for the State of Iowa. It was great to achieve all of the accomplishments I have in the last 25 years.
Overall a good place to work
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  State of IowaJune 19, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work with a diverse group of people
Out going but hard working, and organized
Educator and Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 17, 2014
I always arrive to work early and well before my day begins so that I have plenty of time to prepare for my day.

I would then catch up on items left from the previous work day, or weekend and check new incoming mail.

Finally I would organized my plan for the day, and begin working and making the best of the day.

Throughout the day I would remain focused, productive but with a positive attitude.

Whatever my day brings, or however the work load looks - I will make the best of the time I have.
Stayed busy all day and time would go by fast
Cabinet (Former Employee) –  Anamosa, IowaJanuary 20, 2014
Management always ready to help and got along with coworkers.
Pros
good place to learn
Cons
no benefits