State of Kansas

State of Kansas Employer Reviews

Not my favorite job
Court Clerk (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSAugust 20, 2014
answering and fielding phone calls, handing out and explaining marriage lisences and entering them into the computer once they are returned; therefore, issuing the lisence. Once returned after the couple's ceremony, entering them into the system and sending on to the State for record. Research any necessary request for records at the courthouse. Checking – more... in jurors. Typing letters written by the judge for signature and mailing. Processing mail. Not much room for advancement, even on a seniority basis. – less
Job security
Legal Secretary for Child Support Enforcement (Former Employee), Wichita, KansasAugust 15, 2014
Pros: no weekends
Cons: low pay
No overtime, off holidays, great atmosphere, good people to work with
Productive, hard working position
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Topeka, KSAugust 2, 2014
Pros: always something new to learn
Cons: drivers around you not obeying the traffic laws
Typical workday - 8 - 10 hours
The duties of a construction engineer tech
Management was very fair about assigning work assignments
A great bunch of guys and gals
Sitting around waiting on more snow to fall
Driving a snow plow
Trial Court Clerk
Trial Court Clerk III/Clerk of the District Court (Former Employee), Wellington KSJuly 9, 2014
Pros: never dull moment
Cons: compute
Supervise employees, responsible supervisory and administrative work. Overall management of civil, criminal, probate/estate, juvenile dockets and supervision of personnel. Responsible for bookkeeping, daily, month-end accounting and payroll. Responsible for any money due to courts, receiving and disbursement, including child support and investment accounts – more... payable and receivables. Budgeting purchase requests, and preparing annual reports. Training, technical court procedures, evaluating, disciplining and managing employees, employee evaluations, and attendance records. Responsible for data entry, correspondence and problem solving of the support division of Family Law. State CMASS, and Sedgwick County Domestic software.

I learned all aspects of the judicial system.

Management was very structured.

I worked well with all of the co-workers.

Hardest part was the juvenile cases.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience of all types of different cases, and helping people. – less
Correctional facility
Procurement Officer (Former Employee), Larned, KSJune 21, 2014
Pros: paid regularly
Cons: forced to work 60 hour weeks without extra pay or recognition, if you fail to work the 60 hours you will be investigated
not the best place to work, constant turnover and poor management by some administrators causes this to be a terrible place for employment under salary hours.
good place to work
topeka custodial supervior sr (Current Employee), Topeka, KSMay 9, 2014
work 8 hours at lab in Topeka ks.
my survivor in change of all custodial in labs.
getting every one on start page so we get all work done on time.
Awesome place to work
Custodian (Former Employee), Topeka, KSMay 9, 2014
Pros: early hours
Cons: not everyone wants to work
Love the early hours; great group of people to work with. I loved working at the Capitol Building, it was very interesting and beautiful.
Great Place to work
Patient Advocate (Former Employee), Osawatomie KansasApril 2, 2014
Pros: great place for growth
Cons: pay is not great
Most the people employed with the state have been there for years, the people are wonderful, the state does take care of their employees
great for a seasonal position
Human Services Assistant (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSApril 2, 2014
good place to work for a temp job, would go back if offered. love helping the public
Can be difficult work environment.
Human Services (Current Employee), KansasMarch 26, 2014
Pros: paid vacation and sick time. multiple paid holidays. inside work.
Cons: erratic policy changes made by people obviously unfamiliar with the job.
Dedicated and friendly co-workers. Job description is based on the whims of the state legislators which can be extremely frustrating. No raises in five years, constant changes in policy. Politics extremely evident in the way everything is ran. Co-workers and some clients are the best part of the job though they can also be the most difficult. Under – more... the current state administration I would NOT recommend this place of employment. – less
Great company to work for.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Topeka, KSMarch 6, 2014
Co-workers fun to be around/ management does not hold anybody accountable
hard to find a good paying job
Monkey Bizness in Olathe KS (Former Employee), Olathe, KSFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: free drinks sometimes dinners
Cons: management needs help
I work hard and do well at what ever I put my mind to. cleaning floors and equipment running registers planning events and parties
A produtive and fun work place close family oriented and room for advancement
Shop Supervisor, Mechanic III (Former Employee), Fort Riley, KSDecember 4, 2013
Pros: good work invironment and facilities and benifits.
Cons: short breaks
Day at work:Excitting challenging tasks rebuilding trucks and semi-trailers.
Learned:problem solving,management skills,plannig work flow and parts and tools needed and scope of work and procedures. Company policies and safety. Short and long term plannig.
Management: Proffesional and Imformitive and reward employees of good work.
Co-workers: team player – more... and productive
Hardest part of job: Retool shop for the next production year.
Most enjoyable part of job: Completting proution with a excepitional product. – less
Case Management
Resource Specialist/Case Manager/Job Specialist (Current Employee), Wichita, KSDecember 1, 2013
Pros: see above
Cons: see above
Attend all client appointments. Review case file, discuss with client mental health issues, educational needs, physical needs, addiction plans. Monitor client to reach a goal of self sufficiency. Worked with the courts, social workers, probation and parole officers and many other community services.

Coworkers are the best ever worked with, everyone – more... was supportive in helping each case manager work through the clients hardships. It is a team effort in looking for logical ways to solve the needs of the clients.

Hardest part of the job was to maintain a distance and deal with the frustration and challenges of people living in poverty.

The most rewarding part of the job was maintaining exceptional reviews and knowing I did my very best. There is always a learning curve involved with the job. – less
Loved the work, but had many flaws
Communications Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSNovember 19, 2013
I absolutely loved the work that I did and the majority of co-workers, however the mismanagement started at the top. There was lack of consistency that flowed down hill from the top, making even a management position nothing more than a glorified puppet. My own ideas, thoughts, and offers were unheard or fell on deaf ears. The compensation for the job – more... was wonderful with many health options to choose from. – less
Too much politics and mismanagement
Public Service Assistant II (Former Employee), Topeka, KSAugust 27, 2013
Pros: flex time
Cons: down time
Way too much down time. Have requested before to cross train so I could help others and was told no because it could mess with the pay scale and become a legal issue. (Not with my most recent job, an earlier state job.)

Loved my co-workers and the working environment.

Hardest part of all state jobs was knowing I was getting the same pay as those who – more... did not do their jobs or keep up since the state is not on a pay per performance plan. – less
Position required setting public policy for the state of Kansas
Kansas State Senator (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSAugust 5, 2013
Pros: making a difference.
Cons: not everyone is happy with the decisions you make.
As an elected official I was able to set public policy for the state of Kansas, work on constituent issues and bring economic development projects to the senate's 5th district.
good benefits. like the people i work with
Electrician Senior (Current Employee), Topeka, KSJuly 22, 2013
We start the day at 8 am and we complete work orders or jobs that have been assigned to us.
High stress
Juvenile Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Topeka, KSJune 7, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: mandatory overtime
The pay and benefits were very good but you do not make enough to compensate for how stressful the job is. The higher ups do not have their employees backs and there is mandatory overtime, you could be made to stay even if you are about to walk out of the door.
Enjoyable workplace
Office Assistant II (Former Employee), Topeka, KSApril 6, 2013
Pros: good benefits, good hours
Scanned documents into scanner to process them from a queue on the computer. Answered the main phone line to tell dealership owners the information they needed to complete application. Got along well with coworkers.