State of Kansas Employee Reviews in United States

The State of Kansas is currently an unstable system.
Director (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 9, 2016
The most rewarding part of working for the organization was interpreting laws and regulations, programs and policy developments, colleagues, consumers served and the stakeholders who advocate on behalf of the consumers and their business.

The state lacks experienced leadership who understands the needs of the public which results in lack of leadership and guidance in order to effectively impact the system. The leadership's lack of recognition and respect for experienced, talented and visionary workers is a hard sell to earn employee's commitment, loyalty and retention.
Pros
Work hours, paid leave and healthcare benefits.
Cons
Leadership's motivation for a teamwork environment is lacking.
Hard Work. Low Pay. Great People
Special Investigator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 30, 2016
If the State could pay what people are worth, it would be a dream job. The Managers in DCF are great, the Co-Workers are better.
Pros
Family Oriented
Cons
Low Pay
Good for what it was
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 20, 2016
I worked night shift as a Law Enforcement Officer in a secluded block were there was plenty of time to do homework for my degree. The coworkers were mainly retired civilian law enforcement and easy going. Pay was excellent for the amount of work that was required.
State of Kansas, an end to a means, at the time.
Warehouse Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winfield, KSJanuary 7, 2016
Working at KCI Warehouse was a fun and fulfilling job, I enjoy numbers and detail and organization of making sure inventory and the accounts payable and receivables were up-to-date every day. I learned that patience helps keep stress down and helps you to do quality work. Management was down to earth and good to work with. My coworkers were fun to work with. I don't remember anything being hard about the job, except maybe not getting inventory right at times.
Pros
Enjoyed working Accounts payable and receivables, and inventory duties
Cons
Not enough pay.
Love this job.
Court Services Officer: Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJanuary 6, 2016
I work with great people who challenge me everyday. I have gained a lot of experience here, and will be sad to leave. The hardest part of my job and balancing the multiple tasks that I am in charge of. However I have learned how to be organized, and use it to my advantage.
Productive work place with cooperation from employees
Program Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 8, 2015
Supervise 2 employment offices with staff of 15 to 17 employees. Set up interviews for job openings within the office, interview and submit nominated applicant approval.
Good benefits
Disability Examiner (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 17, 2015
Good benefits. Didn't work for the State of KS as a Disability Examiner for very long. Only worked there for two months. Long training period shoved into a very short period of time.
Good on site management and work life balance
DRIVERS LICENSE EXAMINER (Current Employee) –  Johnson County, KSNovember 15, 2015
The crew at this particular location is supportive and fun to work with. Working with the public allows a person to meet new people consistently and provide a positive experience for all involved.
Pros
Flexible work life balance
Cons
Repetitive work that is not intellectually challenging
High pace environment, even more enjoyable duties.
Motor Carrier Inspector (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 10, 2015
Everyday at this job is something new. I meet all kinds of people. I inspect Semi trucks to make sure the vehicle and the driver meet and are following federal regulations. The management of this facility is on top of their game. My co-workers had no problem training me every day so that I was efficient. The hardest part of this job was learning the mechanical aspects of the vehicles. I enjoy the position as a whole, I love meeting new people and making sure they are following regulations for their safety and the roads safer.
Pros
Making the roads a safer place for all
Cons
Feeling unsafe when alone at the job
kgjhg
Site administrator (Former Employee) –  Council Grove, KsSeptember 2, 2015
I really liked the position. It was fun to have over the summer. I wish it could have been longer. Working with different agencies can be a challenge.
Great Enviornment
Business Employment Developer (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 16, 2015
Great people to work for. Great management and the work environment was awesome. I enjoyed each day, My manager was a great person to work for.
Productive and Fun hardworking co-workers
Database Programmer III (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 29, 2015
Typical day, handle any production issues that might occur. Work on converting another department into CRM as a new fully custimized entity. I was the sole developer for six years and added the Business Analyst role after two years and the software administrator role six months later when my manager retired. The hardest part of my job was priority of projects being worked. The best part of the job was to check on them a couple of days after the software was implemented and seeing and hearing how much they liked the new software with the timesaving and ease of use.
Pros
Dedicated associates, Business casual attire and Blue jean Fridays.
Cons
Political influence changes with every election.
No a stress job a good place to work.
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 28, 2015
A typical day a work as a building maintenance HVAC technician working for the state is good. A daily work load is not bad, performed the prevent maintenance on the equipment and work on whatever breaks, change light are requested.
Pros
Always learning
Cons
Temporary job.
State of Kansas
Carpenter, Senior (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 17, 2015
A typical day at work is meeting with the superintendent in the mornings, getting work orders and instructions for the day. Then proceeding as instructed by the boss.
great place to work
Transportation worker (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 31, 2015
everyday was different always learning something new. the crew I worked with was great they were always showing me the safe ways of completing the task.
Pros
meeting good people
A very inclusive and engaging workplace
Business Analyst - System Design (Current Employee) –  TopekaJanuary 31, 2015
Love working with the State of Kansas, KEES Project team.

The people have a way of accepting everyone and being very collaborative.

I love the social events.
Great people to work with.
Program Consultant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 13, 2015
State employees are wonderful to work with, however budgetary restraints limit ability to assist others satisfactorily.
Consistent work in the public sector
Tourism Director (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 13, 2015
Awesome to represent my fellow citizens of Kansas! Politics plays too big of a role in job assignments/security.
Pros
steady work
Cons
change in administration impacts work plans and security
It was a fast - paced mulitask environment
SECRETARY I (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day was assisting the clients.

I learned from this job was to deal with adult and juveniles that was under the influence of drugs, alcohol, and any health issues. I handled those clients in a professional and appropriate manner.

Management assisted when they could.

My co-workers were very helpful.

The hardest part of the job was not knowing if the adult or juvenile was going to run or do something harmful to people in court appearances.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know judges, court services officers, attorneys, district attorneys, and prosecutors.
Pros
benefits, parking
Cons
a deep hill that was hard to deal with in the snow
I enjoyed the duties and helping others.
Commodity Programs Consultant (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 5, 2015
As above, but there were too many employees in positions of authority that didn't belong in such, in my opinion. Morale in the office declined more and more.