State of Kansas Employee Reviews

Twiggy
Full time certified nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KSMarch 23, 2017
Ashland Health Center is not a good place to work. Staff is always backstabbing each other and the DON is never there.You work more hours than scheduled and they can't make payroll. They lie to the community and sue people over bills that are less than $5.00.
Pros
Cons
they cant make payroll
not some were you wanna be
HOUSEKEEPING (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 9, 2017
the are very unorganized and depend on the none paid workers while they sit around and do nothing not the place to be or work
Program Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 6, 2017
Good place to work and healthy atmosphere. Work hours are flexible and co workers are very good. Good place and balance family life with work
Great work/life balance
Public Service Executive (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 16, 2017
The State provides a great work/life balance. There are opportunities in all agencies and if you are looking for stable employment this is the place. However, there are no raises and the only way to gain pay advancement is to seek a different position that pays more.
didn't like at all
Mechanic/Heavy Equipment Operator/ Driver (Former Employee) –  Lansing, KSDecember 21, 2016
nothing good to say about this place, it was a literal prison and the pay really isn't anything to write home about. The inmate labor has the attitude of not wanting to work but then again they only get paid up to $21.00/month.
Producitive and fun place to work.
Lead Man/Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ellsworth, KSDecember 12, 2016
What I learned working for the State of Kansas was so valuable to me, because I was able to learn all the area of the supply dept. I also was able to train other people on what do warehouse environment.
Pros
Great Supervisory to work for
Cons
Not a long term job
fun atomosphere
Trial court clerk ii (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 9, 2016
You get your benefits, your thoughts are considered. You get to work with people. The pay is not all that great and there are politics to deal with, but I would love to go back there
Benefits
Cons
politics
Long time to hire
Public Service Executive II/ (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 2, 2016
I had to fill in for an upper management position for 6 months while they were working on finding a replacement. There was not much support internally for the new position and no increase in compensation for doing the job.
Administrative changes
Director of Addiction Services (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KS 66603November 16, 2016
Working with the government was difficult at times but fulfilling knowing I was able to help those in need of services at the macro level. It was a challenge with numerous admin changes and difficult to keep up with the change in direction each time. I enjoyed writing and implementing policy, statute, and regulations.
Cons
numerous admin changes
Wyandotte County Court House is a great place to work
District Court Clerk for Wyandotte County,Ks (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 15, 2016
I always loved my job. And the people I worked with. It was always a learning experience everyday. I learned alot over the years. Worked with some really great Judges and attys
Fun work place
Computer Operator (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSOctober 27, 2016
A typical day I would work different schedule of jobs to run though out the night. I learned several things about how the state and federal government operate. I also learned how the state and federal government hands out money to the needy. Management was GREAT to work for and my co-workers were great to work beside. We all had good communication skills and talked well about the job that we were trying to accomplice. The hardest part of my job was learning how many needy families there is in the State of Kansas. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the HAPPY faces when people got much needed help.
Pros
good hours
Cons
working with differnet governors
Easy, fun to place to work
Secretary I (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 13, 2016
This job is great, I mean they have good benefits paid days off. It is actually a pretty relaxed environment, we do have our moments when the incoming cases begin to over flow but it is a good place to work.
Pros
Hour lunch, good benefits
Cons
can't really complain
Worked with great people, such as judges, attorneys, co-workers.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 10, 2016
I've worked here for 25 years and I love my job. I don't like the threats of furloughs, budget cuts. And drastic healthcare costs. Management could do better at listening to their employees.
Busy work to keep busy.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSOctober 3, 2016
Good benefits and a diverse group of people to work with. You never know what type of work you may be involved with, might be important and might not be important.
Pros
Most holidays off
Counselor III
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Junction City, KSSeptember 25, 2016
Job was overwhelming at times. Lots of clients, no time to get everything done that should have been done.

Good benefits

nice co-workers

nice clients
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
no support
Enforcement Agent
State of Kansas Enforcement Agent (Current Employee) –  Dodge City, KSSeptember 3, 2016
Monitors gaming activity and gaming employee’s. Conducted on-site investigations and inspections of electronic gaming devices and other gaming equipment. Conducts on-site internal control audits and compliance inspections and investigations.
Conducted background investigations utilizing interviewing and interrogation techniques and analyzing financial positions of individuals.
Investigated complaints of alleged violations of regulatory and criminal violations.
Made arrests, conducted searches and seizures and enforced Kansas criminal laws. Worked with other law enforcement agencies with investigations.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere
Cons
Nights and weekends
Long hours and low pay
Resource Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, KSSeptember 1, 2016
I had an excellent supervisor to work with and the job kept me busy and let me help others. It involved working with inmates who were in the Re-Entry phase of their incarceration.
Good job security
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSAugust 30, 2016
I enjoyed this job because I stayed busy all day most days, I got to meet a lot of good people in all counties across the state of Kansas.

My main job function was to provide interpretation of guidelines and polices to insure proper billing in regards to submitted vouchers
Pros
Great benefits and working environment
Cons
I really can't think of one negative thing about this job
Good longtime job
Research Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSAugust 19, 2016
Nice place to work but have not had any raises in many years. I get to pick my work hours (within reason). Co-workers are the best. Seems like an extended family.
Pros
we have free parking
Cons
Healthcare keeps going up like everywhere else
employee morale at the lowest i've seen it.
Information System Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 29, 2016
no raises since 2006. morale is as low as I've seen it. the feelings with the employees is that the Governor wants to privatize everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Kansas. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval