State of Louisiana Employee Reviews

Conservation Oriented
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 4, 2017
Semi laid back atmosphere with strict policy.

The most enjoyable part of the job was customer service.

My co-workers were friendly.
Pros
Monthly birthday cakes / snacks in breakroom
Cons
a little too distant from my home
Definitely a learning experience I will remember
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pineville, LADecember 9, 2016
The best part of my job... the consumers! I loved getting to know the residents at the hospital. I will never forget them and they changed my life for the better. I really got close to a few coworkers and made lifelong friends. The pay was good as were the benefits. I really don't have a lot to say negative, as I had a good position and worked a 40 hour shift. You get paid time off (annual and sick leave). People who work longer hours making less than you can be catty sometimes, but if you can befriend them, that stuff goes away. At the end of the day, you're there for the residents, not for other staff. It was tough at times working in such an old hospital too. We were always trying to make changes but upper management (Medical Director) didn't want to hear ideas. In the time I worked there, she never even met me once or talked to me! Awful
Pros
Residents, Co-Workers, Pay, Paid Time Off
Cons
Old buildings, Medical Director ignores you, Ideas on helping residents is usually ignored.
It's a job
Orleans Levee District (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 24, 2016
Not all state jobs aren't bad, but this particular one is far most the worst I had ever work at. The shop foreman is very racist and likes to bully people. Alot of people are not getting along, it's basically segregated. When it comes down to overtime, the supervisor normally picks out the same people and not get anyone including me a chance.
Pros
Benefits, pay, work 4 days for 10 hours, laid back, free food.
Cons
Favoritism, not getting advance unless you kiss someone's behind, and segregated.
Family friendly work schedule
Public Relations (Former Employee) –  Pineville, LANovember 6, 2016
Very enjoyable job for over ten years. Was able to attend school events with children and take off for Dr. appointments or sick children as needed. Very poor management team with latest rollover.
Pros
Very family friendly work schedule.
Cons
Poor Management
mediocrity is its own reward
Social Service Analyst II (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LAOctober 20, 2016
The best thing about this job was that I was able to work from home 4 days a week after 1.5 years on the job. Several coworkers were pleasant people, most people were emotionally exhausted by the demands of a chronically needy population.
Pros
benefits, increasingly less so
Cons
policy changes
pleasant work environment
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 4, 2016
Being supervisor, I had 30 employees. If the olden days it was easier to manage and get the work done. As time progressed this got harder because I had a constant turnover of employees and policies were constantly changing.
Pros
sometimes free lunches, holiday parties, etc
Cons
constantly changing policies
The United States Postal Service
Traffic Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 28, 2016
A typical day at work entailed setting up a large, L-shaped computer; getting it ready to accept 1st class mail as it descends from a very large, l-shaped computerized machine.
On various days, I worked as an acting supervisor over approx. 30 employees.
My task as a clerk machinist was to key-punch mail of various weight to its destinations to be delivered.
When I first began in the Postal Service, I delivered mail as a city carrier for the first 5 years.
The software for the computer was able to be changed out depending on the type of mail we processed.
Pros
Processed large quantities of mail for the consumer.
Cons
Excessive standing in one place
Great place to start your career
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 26, 2016
Conduct budget and state contract reviews, develop plans of action to correct budget issues and plan for the future. Great training and job security, but with the state's budget crisis, there is a lack of advancement or pay raises to match for career progression.
Work was good-Close location
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  1450 Poydras StreetJuly 20, 2016
Lots of work, nice atmosphere, nice lunchroom, spacious area to work. Management was very helpful when there was an issue to be solved. supervisor was nice and very helpful each day. We got along very well and understood one another,

Work was done on a timely bases as it was given.
The only constant was change.
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ville Platte, LAJuly 8, 2016
Everybody seemed to be in charge but very few actually made things happen. Once a new governor was elected all new changes were implemented.
Pros
Excellent health benefits and retirement plans. Excellent work schedule
Cons
Whistle blowers are turned in
Very rewarding job helping to rehabilitate someone
Transition Specialist (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJune 21, 2016
This is a very service oriented position. You get your reward other than your paycheck by helping someone who has made bad decisions return home a little bit better than they were coming into jail. You are equipping the person with some needed tools.
Pros
serving others
Cons
being in jail so long makes you feel incarcerated
Very productive and fulfilling place to work
Assistant Parish Manager/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 30, 2016
Enjoyed working in every position that I had with the State of La. Enjoyed working with the clients that we served as well as inter acting with the staff, administrators, supervisors within our agency as well as with outside agencies. Training was always available for staff as well as administrators.
Pros
Very rewarding and fulfilling work
Cons
understaffed most of the time and staff had extra large caseloads
Great atmosphere - I already submitted this review as well
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA 70802April 12, 2016
The atmosphere was great. I wasn't judged by the people in my section, I was taught to do things right. We were a very close knit family of workers who were there through thick and thin.
Typical State Bureaucracy
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  LAApril 11, 2016
As a whole, there are some really good people with very stressful jobs. New employees should expect to navigate difficult terrain in order to accomplish anything.

Lack of communication, direction and knee-jerk reactions will be the norm and as a general rule most employees will not be rewarded on merit alone.

If you are over 50 and looking for decent insurance and fairly stable job you may want to consider working for the state.
Good benefits
Closeout Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 18, 2016
I have worked with the State for over 5 years and it has been an overall good experience. The benefits are exceptional. The staff is great and the overall work environment is good. Management works well with the staff. I've learned to be flexible with work assignment changes and work well with a team.
Benefits
Cons
Contract employment
Great place to work if you enjoy helping others succeed.
Pam Morgan District Administrator (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 12, 2016
Great place to work where you can interact with people, help them succeed and motivate them to be a better person. Retirement Benefits were good. Supervisors were super.
Customer Service Rep
Administrative Assistant/Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 3, 2016
Assist recipients on a daily basis with claims and reimbursements. Learned a lot dealing with Medicaid, Medicare, Bayou Health, as well as Behavioral Health. Co-workers are friendly and like family.
Pros
Flexibility
Fun, flexible, exciting
State Purchasing Officer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 3, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for GOHSPE. Management was fun, easy to talk to, caring, and rewarding. I learned the many different cultural backgrounds while being exposed to natural disasters statewide. The hardest part of my job was to see the damaging effects of a disaster & the people it affected. However, I enjoyed visiting other parts of the state which gave me an opportunity to learn the history of Louisiana.
Pros
Fun, loving, flexible
Cons
Doesn't pay much
Fast pace on phones, Louisiana Law's, people skills, team work with co-workers, never was caught up at OMV.
Motor Vehice Analst 3 (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 25, 2016
What I liked about the work at Motor Vehicles was it was not boring. Lot's of changes. I was a manager for 3 1/2 years. I had to fire someone. The people I worked with.
Pros
State Police Cafteria being on compound, location
Cons
Short breaks, Management was very strict
All my job working in Law Enforcement over the years.
Private Investigator (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, LAJanuary 26, 2016
Entered into a Law Enforcement Job after 4 years in the U.S. Navy and have worked in most of the local and federal positions from Narcotics, Patrol, Detectives and Special Agent with U.S.Customs, now Department of Homeland Security. Was a great time working in law enforcement with all the agencies I was part of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Louisiana. Our community is ready to answer.