State of Maryland

State of Maryland Employer Reviews

It is like High School with EVERY stereotype you can think of... EXCEPT YOU'RE AN ADULT!! ”
Case Management Specialist (Current Employee), Prince George's County, MDMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Benefits, working with you, job security
Cons: Low pay, terrible management, micro managing at its finest
working at Juvenile Services has Good Benefits, good job security, working with youth and having an impact on youth to make sure that they succeed and not transition into the adult system. Working with community resources such as schools, county programs, and other organizations to make sure youth is getting proper services.

But there is Low pay for the work you do. The starting pay is mid 30s and the senior case workers make mid 40s. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Micromanaging is very high. If you're happy and comfortable in one unit, they will move you into a unit that you are not happy about. If you want to transfer to another office or unit, they will hold you "hostage" while move someone else that doesn't want to be moved and make them unhappy as well. Favoritism is way too common in the office, Administration that started in one county and transferred to another county and worked their way up will look out for the workers they started with and will recruit them to come to the county they are in charge of. When a promotion opportunity arises, the higher ups will only mention it to the workers they want to apply.
productive Professional
OFFICE SERVICE CLERK 2 (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at work was greeting clients helping, assistance and completing the task in a Professional way daily. Working for the State of Maryland was a learning experience I was able to help homeless people to receive voucher for food and clothes and also so other clients that needed help with application and family assistance. I learned to appreciate the value of people and having patients. I enjoy coworker cause we all had a good team. It was never hard for me at work I'm very multitask person and enjoy doing a lot of work and helping people it keep my day going daily. The most enjoyable part of the job was the holidays we get to help another family in need
Fun workplace to work .
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Very good staff.
Cons: No overtime.
Fun to work along with the employees.
I enjoyed the entire staff.
Work was good on certain days.
I just wanted a higher salary.
All of my nursing jobs for the State of MD carried a lot of responsibility
RN III (Former Employee), Sykesville, MDMarch 24, 2015
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable- the satisfaction of knowing that I can be in charge of many patients and co-workers and get the job done without a problem.
Tough job with terrible management
Resdient Advisor (Former Employee), Cheltenham Youth FacilityMarch 13, 2015
Pros: work as many hours as you want
Cons: no breaks and unhelpful management
During my team with this job while it was tough I did enjoy the work with the youth. However I feel management and administration did not make good decision and constantly jeopardized the safety of the staff. The turnover is high and you will mostly be stuck working double shift most of the time. The money is good but still not worth all the time and danger you constantly face each day.
productive and fun work place with ping pong table
building tenant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2015
a typical day at work consist of moping sweeping and taking out the trash. Going to feet up and back to gym, getting out of gym doing some working out then hitting the shower.
Productive work environment
Licensed Provider-Business Owner (Current Employee), Camp Springs, MdMarch 4, 2015
Typical day at work, preparing my day with my work load and adding other duties if need through out the day, making sure everything is done for the day and checking on what needs to be taking care of throughout the day. Staying on top of everything, managing my staff and having everyone to check-in making sure that all deadline are done and moving on to the next project. Co-workers were never an issue we got along very well, everyone would have their own work load and would help each other if needed. I never felt like their was a hard part to my day, I just knew it had to get done, and the most enjoyable part of my job was meeting our dealines and moving on to the next one and keeping our company on top.
Okay
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee), Westover, MDMarch 2, 2015
Good benefits, pay is decent, supervision can be good at times. Time off is the good thing about it, you can take plenty of time off.
Great Place To learn and grow
Contractual Testing Monitor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 2, 2015
Pros: the schedule
Cons: it was a contractual position
I enjoyed this position. I was able to meet people everyday. I feed them instructions and limited their misunderstandings. I provided customer service and helped give those faith.
Child Support
Child Support Specialist II (Current Employee), Temple Hills, MDMarch 2, 2015
Answering telephone inquiries, case management system reviewing cases for payment, medical insurance, escrow and futures. What I learned to be more aggressive and challange one self to strive for more
Beware
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), DOCFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: poor leadrship, dangerous job and promotions are not equal.
You should beware of a job that continuously hires people every 4 weeks for the same position. This job has a very high turn over rate. The job is high stress and not worth the pay. You can be drafted to stay working in the institution for an additional shift(And they lock all officers behind the gates until someone volunteers or they find the person next up on the draft list). Officers are bringing contraband in for inmates constantly and the scandal in Baltimore City is no surprise because it's going on all over the state. Supervisors talk to you like dirt, your coworkers won't speak or too preoccupied to acknowledge your existence. It's sad when convicted killers, rapists and gang members treat you better than your coworkers. You can be fired for anything and other officers will throw you under the bus or set you up. Any other job if you don't like your coworkers it's ok but in this career it can cost you your life. It's one of the dirtiest places to work as well. Staph, TB and everything else runs rampant in this place. I've know officers who got staph infections from work. The only way to get ahead is to be in the kiss your supervisor's behind clique. And top of everything else let's not forget anything can happen at anytime in a prison but be prepared for anything. And if you take this job don't try to be a super cop because everyone will hate you, don't talk to the inmates too much cause your coworkers will suspect you and watch your coworkers cause they can't be trusted. And stay off of your supervisor's radar because they pick at you for no reason. And for heaven sake – more... don't eat the food it's being prepared by a population of people who honestly don't like you and who knows what they are doing to the food. I've heard some crazy stuff about what they do with the cucumbers on the salad bar so beware. Bring your cheese sandwich and bottle of water and be satisfied. And at the end of the day remember the inmates are letting you lock them in and letting you run the prison inmate to Officer ratio is something like 100:1. – less
Coordinator of Special Programs I
Coordinator of Special Program I (Current Employee), Denton MDJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: helping individuals with disabilities
Cons: no benefits, can't move up in current position
There is no typical day at work when you work with individuals with disabilities. I am currently a Contractual Employee Full time without benefits or job security. I can not move up within my current position without a graduate degree.
A quality place to be employed
Senior IT Technician (Current Employee), Catonsville, MDJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: quality work environment and people
Cons: no reimbursement for continuing it knowledge/certs
Desk and field IT work site. Demanding, but totally bearable.
There is time to research new developing technologies, but you'll have to pursue additional certs/credentials on your own with out reimbursement. Management is protective but slow to adapt to current IT trends. Over all it's nice to serve the state within my given profession of IT.
Productive and professional development
Information Security Manager (Current Employee), 301 E. Maddison Street Baltimore MD 21201December 31, 2014
Pros: professional develpment
I work with team of professional who are goal oriented and dedicated to their work. I love working in a team of dedicated individuals love to get work done, and motivate others in meeting project deadline and accomplish goals.
Although the job is very challenging but rewarding as well. The opportunity for growth and professional development and training is an added advantage which makes the work place fun and rewarding.
Productive work environment
Director of Procurement (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 20, 2014
Pros: benefits
I enjoyed working for the State of Maryland in the
Procurement office. The office had many challenges
when I joined the group but as contracts had not been
processed on time but while I was there I organized the
contracts and assigned various duties to the procurement
officers so that all procurements were processed when needed.
I liked interacting and mentoring the various employees.
Stressful
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Jessup, MDDecember 8, 2014
Pros: eat all i want
Cons: working without a break
Wake up at 11:00 am, start by prep food for cooking, wash tables, make juice and stock up supplies. I learned that just because someone is rude to you doesn't mean that I have to entertain the rudeness,
Productive and supportive environment to work
Contractor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MarylandDecember 4, 2014
Pros: supportive staff
Productive and supportive environment to work located in Baltimore, Maryland. Typical day varies and work is focused on medical review, coding and compliance with State laws. Co-workers are knowledgeable and are available to colleagues and clients. A nice place to work.
It was productive
Case Management Specialist (Current Employee), Rockville, MDNovember 21, 2014
I love working with kids, but the work can become challenging and demanding.
Working as a child care provider for members of the Athletic Club in Westminster
carroll cty public schools (Former Employee), Westminster, MDNovember 21, 2014
Pros: i was able to bring my children, who were young, with me at the time.
Cons: when there were no children in the club we did not have to stay .
I worked with such wonderful people who became friends. We were provided with training and certification in cpr which provided more confidence when working with small children. The manager was very pleased with our work and dealings with the children. We also kept the playroom and toys clean so that the children would be healthier in the playroom and we provided things for the children to do while their parents were in the athletic club. It was an enjoyable experience at the time.
Career Job
Correctional Officer (Sergeant) (Former Employee), Jessup, MDNovember 19, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: cant leave the job site for lunch.
As long as you come to work thinking safety, you will go home safe.

1 2 3 4 5