State of Maryland Employee Reviews

The youths are fun to work with!
Reside Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, MDAugust 8, 2017
The youths are not the issue, it's the staffs you have to worry about. The staffs are very vindictive, rude and spiteful, they will set you up and throw you under the bus but other than that it's not a bad place to work if you want to become institutionalize, you never know when your going home. They play favoritism in that facility as well
Pros
Overtime is there
Cons
You become very institutionalize
Great compensation.
Correctional Dietary Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2017
This employer was a great place to work. There was always great friendly people to work around. Rising up and going to work on a daily basis was always a great thing to do.
Pros
Flexible schedules, grat managers.
Depends on your environment
OFFICE SECRETARY I (Contractual) (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 24, 2017
All persons in each level and environment of work with the State of Maryland are going to have a different perspective and experience. As clerical, this is a lower level position, but I am thankful for the opportunity to learn and experience different aspects of the judicial system.

Most enjoyable is the set hours, the ability to have a workload (sometimes not enough) and to process my work with little to no interference from management. The downside can be that there is too much red tape when it comes to getting questions answered and those detailed instances of making solid judgment calls when situations are out of the norm. (A meeting for everything is exhausting).
Pros
lunch is provided
Cons
1/2 lunch and long hours, pay is questionably low
This was a serious work place. You deal with all types of individuals
Correctional Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2017
Supervising offices and inmates. Dealing with inmates daily day to day issues. i learnt to be consist, firm and to listen and observe. The job was very serious, you had no time to play around or take short cuts
Pros
health benefits, leave days that could be earned were good
Cons
more officers were needed in the facilties
Very undesirable place to work
Toll Collector (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 4, 2017
The political aspect of the state of Maryland is very unfair and biased in favor of the administrators. The conditions of the facility is poor and drinking water has been removed leaving us with exceeded levels of lead in the water that should not be consumed
Seasonal employment
Toll booth attendant (Former Employee) –  Boonsboro, MDJuly 3, 2017
Steady consistent work, very black and white, simple, easy tasks that were easily accomplished within the shift. Worst part of the job was the heat in the summer months, but that can't be helped.
Excellent staff,and management. Enjoyed being a firm,but fair supervisor.
Correctional Lieutenant/Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 22, 2017
I was a Lieutenant at this facility. i staffed the jail,issued leave,managed overtime. The hardest part was constant incidents. Loved everything their.
Pros
free lunch, comfortable salary, enjoyed the staff I supervised. My staff loved me for being a firm but fair Lieuteant
Cons
Constant use of forces. Staff constantly calling out. Bad air conditioning.
not good
Janitor/Car Wash (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDJune 21, 2017
I think this is the worst paying system for the work that's being done you work 6 hrs a day and its just a stressful enviorment . some days it was ok but most was stressful
Job security
Correctional Officer Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJune 3, 2017
5 and 7 day work week depending on what region.
To protect the public, Staff and Inmates from harm and wrongful doing. Take count, observe Inmate movement. Escort Inmates to and from Court and Hospital.
Pros
Decent pay and great benifits
Cons
Very political
productive but streeful environment
Information Systems Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 28, 2017
there are limitation to exposure due to the way the environment was structured. Team work is not as effective as it should be, and reimbursement of tuitions and certification is not in place.
Pros
job security
Cons
short breaks
Productive work place
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 20, 2017
This was a decent place to have a career . While there I learned all aspects of the road construction business . I worked with some outstanding folks along the way .
Pros
Good people
Cons
The Bureaucracy of State Government
Very challenging
Commitment Record Specialist Lead (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 17, 2017
I Learned about the enforcement of law and its procedures. Making spreadsheets, Hardest Part of the job was seeing pictures of victims and then having to call victims when there offender was released.
Pros
hours
Work Family
Administrative Officer I (Current Employee) –  301 W Preston StMay 16, 2017
My suite was diverse yet everyone was open and welcoming. We worked together to make the flow of the office functionable. To boost morale we had a monthly party
Cons
short lunch breaks (30 min) I was contractual (no benefits)
Keep going, don't waste your time please keep applying else where
Child Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDMay 15, 2017
Highest turnover I've ever seen in an agency due to poor management by director and deputy directors all the way down to supervisors. Nepotism, work bullies, lacks diversity, lacks competent people to do the job effectively, low morale, no agency cohesiveness, no leadership you just go to work and go home
Pros
The people you meet
Cons
Low pay, over worked, poor management, disorganized
Fun with family and friends
Mobile Notary, Signing Agent (Current Employee) –  Lusby, MDMay 15, 2017
Spending timed with family and friends is great. The workplace culture is what you make of it. The most enjoyable part of the job will be making sure that you treat people the way you would like to be treated and be sure to listen. Management is there to provide leadership. I have learned that I can think on my feet and handle and can resolve conflict and come up with solutions.
Productive and fun place to work
Taxpayer Associate (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 5, 2017
Great employer overall with encouraging staff. The management really cares about your growth and wants to see you succeed. I loved the environment and staff.
Different
Psychology Associate II (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 25, 2017
Working in the this prison is different for an African American female going to work in an institution that is mainly white. Most of the vistors are black females and I was always asked who i was visiting.
Good for those that want stable job
Community Supervision Agent II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 23, 2017
This is a good place to work for someone that wants a stable job with benefits. State offers good benefits, and flexible hours. They also offer non-competitive promotions in certain areas.
Income Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 19, 2017
Although I was only employed for three years, I learned a great deal about human services and the different programs offered to clients. I'm currently trying to move back to Maryland and obtain employment with them again
interesting not fun
Welder/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDApril 18, 2017
As a maintenance welder it was exciting working along with other employees to accomplish various assignments in order to repair or fabricate significant parts.