State of Maryland

State of Maryland Employee Reviews

Stability
Family Investment Specialist I (Current Employee), MarylandMay 21, 2015
I enjoy working for the State Of Maryland. I have learned a great deal. I love the co- workers, sometime micro managing can be a bit much. The hardest part of the job is learning ever changing policy.
Nice place to work.
Office Secretary III (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 13, 2015
I have been with the Department for almost 15 years and have learned a lot. Over the years I have been able to learn different aspects of the company and have enjoyed it all.
making a difference in other's lives
Community Health Outreach Worker (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDMay 13, 2015
As a community Health Outreach Worker I, I work with adolescent individuals who are addicted to drugs and alcohol. It is a residential facility that holds up to 25 individuals.

My position consists of supervising adolescent clients and enforcing policy, accompanying clients to AA/NA meetings, conducting urinalysis for the purpose of drug screening, transporting clients in state vehicles, recording client behaviors in client log book, supervising clients while they work through drug rehabilitation and education material.

There is a certain amount of guidance from clinical staff and supervisors that keeps a healthy and safe patient-employee relationship, There is also a lot of freedom to work with the patients in ways that Community Health Outreach Workers see fit.

I personally enjoy my job a lot. I find it very rewarding and I have always loved working with teens. The best part of my job is hearing that a teen has left the program and is on track, staying clean and doing well.
Great for recent college graduate or soon-to-be retirees
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 8, 2015
Pros: Paid leave when interviewing for other State jobs
Cons: No guaranteed pay raises and pay is much less than other states in the area
This was the first job I obtained shortly after graduating from college. There is room for advancement only after building up years of experience. The pay will change based on who is elected as governor. But overall, I was able to balance work and my personal life quite well at this job. It can be a great place as long as you keep a good outlook.
Low wages, rare increases
Workforce Specialist (Current Employee), Hanover, MDMay 4, 2015
Disappointed in the lack of initial training provided. Rewarding work, helping people with career search. Coworkers are fun and helpful, Most enjoyable part of this job is working with people.
Government work
Child Welfare (Former Employee), MDApril 30, 2015
Pros: Health care
Cons: No pay raises, no comp or overtime when worked over due although legal required, not provided. Expected to be available 24 hours a day.
An environment of where policy and procedures are dismissed and popularity contest win. Huge focus on personalities and popularity rather work at hand. Often the actual work took back seat to the interoffice workings. Quite often created chaos by management due to poor management skills and organization. Job security due to the state however, not due to skills. No promotions, no appreciation and secrets of pay raises behind closed doors. No ethical values present and majority of the time downtown was left in the dark. No one spoke up due to the fear of retailation. Not a place of professional business.
Impacting Lives
Child Support Specialist I (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDApril 17, 2015
Monday-Friday work schedule from 8-4:30. This is a public service job where a caseload is managed and clients are served.
Busy but Exciting
Page (Former Employee), Annapolis, MDApril 14, 2015
Working as a page for the General Assembly of Maryland was fun and informative. I was able to sit in on the sessions and listen to multiple bills be discussed and voted on.
Steady employment with good benefits
Coordinator of Special Programs (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 14, 2015
Pros: Snow days are given through liberal leave, liberally
Cons: Pay raises are determined by Governor, and opportunities for advancement are infrequent.
Employment is 9-5:30 M-F, low pressure. Nice people to work with. Turn over is more prevalent in leadership positions. Agency leaders want to implement ideas, but layers of government procedures slow things down, which can be good or bad. I learned that many people are just trying to do the best they can, and most people are reasonable.
Here to try to advance as much as possible
Fiscal Accounts Technician II (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 9, 2015
Pros: Decent Pay
Cons: No paid time off, No Pension (Still Contractual)
Responsible for the daily deposit of my areas payments from Recipients and Health Providers and whatever account maintenance duties.
Numerous opportunities to learn rules and regulations for utility companies
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 2, 2015
Pros: Quiet office, help from management always available
Cons: high rise that sways slightly on very windy days
This company presents daily challenges that are perfect for continuous learning. Each customer's situation is different and cannot always be quickly resolved.
Enjoyed my job
Administrative Assistant/Legal Secretary (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 30, 2015
I would start with going through emails and phone calls. Once done, I would begin the registration part of the job and the letters that needed to be done from the Attorney's and Examiners. I really enjoyed my job, but management was horrible.
It is like High School with EVERY stereotype you can think of... EXCEPT YOU'RE AN ADULT!! ”
Case Management Specialist (Current Employee), Prince George's County, MDMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Benefits, working with you, job security
Cons: Low pay, terrible management, micro managing at its finest
working at Juvenile Services has Good Benefits, good job security, working with youth and having an impact on youth to make sure that they succeed and not transition into the adult system. Working with community resources such as schools, county programs, and other organizations to make sure youth is getting proper services.

But there is Low pay for the work you do. The starting pay is mid 30s and the senior case workers make mid 40s. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Micromanaging is very high. If you're happy and comfortable in one unit, they will move you into a unit that you are not happy about. If you want to transfer to another office or unit, they will hold you "hostage" while move someone else that doesn't want to be moved and make them unhappy as well. Favoritism is way too common in the office, Administration that started in one county and transferred to another county and worked their way up will look out for the workers they started with and will recruit them to come to the county they are in charge of. When a promotion opportunity arises, the higher ups will only mention it to the workers they want to apply.
productive Professional
OFFICE SERVICE CLERK 2 (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at work was greeting clients helping, assistance and completing the task in a Professional way daily. Working for the State of Maryland was a learning experience I was able to help homeless people to receive voucher for food and clothes and also so other clients that needed help with application and family assistance. I learned to appreciate the value of people and having patients. I enjoy coworker cause we all had a good team. It was never hard for me at work I'm very multitask person and enjoy doing a lot of work and helping people it keep my day going daily. The most enjoyable part of the job was the holidays we get to help another family in need
Fun workplace to work .
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Very good staff.
Cons: No overtime.
Fun to work along with the employees.
I enjoyed the entire staff.
Work was good on certain days.
I just wanted a higher salary.
All of my nursing jobs for the State of MD carried a lot of responsibility
RN III (Former Employee), Sykesville, MDMarch 24, 2015
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable- the satisfaction of knowing that I can be in charge of many patients and co-workers and get the job done without a problem.
Tough job with terrible management
Resdient Advisor (Former Employee), Cheltenham Youth FacilityMarch 13, 2015
Pros: work as many hours as you want
Cons: no breaks and unhelpful management
During my team with this job while it was tough I did enjoy the work with the youth. However I feel management and administration did not make good decision and constantly jeopardized the safety of the staff. The turnover is high and you will mostly be stuck working double shift most of the time. The money is good but still not worth all the time and danger you constantly face each day.
productive and fun work place with ping pong table
building tenant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2015
a typical day at work consist of moping sweeping and taking out the trash. Going to feet up and back to gym, getting out of gym doing some working out then hitting the shower.
Productive work environment
Licensed Provider-Business Owner (Current Employee), Camp Springs, MdMarch 4, 2015
Typical day at work, preparing my day with my work load and adding other duties if need through out the day, making sure everything is done for the day and checking on what needs to be taking care of throughout the day. Staying on top of everything, managing my staff and having everyone to check-in making sure that all deadline are done and moving on to the next project. Co-workers were never an issue we got along very well, everyone would have their own work load and would help each other if needed. I never felt like their was a hard part to my day, I just knew it had to get done, and the most enjoyable part of my job was meeting our dealines and moving on to the next one and keeping our company on top.
Okay
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee), Westover, MDMarch 2, 2015
Good benefits, pay is decent, supervision can be good at times. Time off is the good thing about it, you can take plenty of time off.

1 2 3 4 5