State of Michigan Employee Reviews

Productive, fun environment, inner-office opportunities
General Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 14, 2017
The office cohorts and management were very kind, understanding, and motivating. They provided opportunities to learn and be inclusive with the team. Communication with team members needed to improve, but overall a great work environment.
Pros
Family first environment
Cons
Difficult to move upward in career
Good place to work with decent job security and benefits, but below average compensation
Senior Departmental Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 8, 2017
Interesting work. Every day was a new challenge. Rarely boring. The office environment has changed over time, sometimes better, sometimes worse. The state is a good place to gain experience. The pay is okay to start with, especially considering the 401k matching and health benefits, but once you've maxed out your pay scale, there are few opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Few opportunities for advancement
Experience
Assistance Payments Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamtramck, MIAugust 7, 2017
I have had the experience with working with this company previously. I was happy with my employment there and I am happy with my employment now, no complaints.
All around not a bad place to work.
Shift Sergeant, Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Newberry, MIAugust 7, 2017
Morale is high and compensation is about normal for the type of work conducted. You must learn how to work all shifts. This job isn't for everybody. People skills is a must.
Pros
Lunch breaks and ample time off
Cons
Negative enviroment, shift work and weekend working schedules
Not a happy place to work
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 3, 2017
I was under a lot of stress. The Reps, themselves, just doesn't care about its employees. My chief of staff, however, was awesome. He tried to keep the good team moral.
Stable Employment with Good Benefits
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 2, 2017
A solid place to work and raise your family. The opportunities are few but available, if you are willing to work anywhere in Michigan, then your chances of a new position is very high.
Benefits
Cons
Overwhelming work load
Great learning experience for a customer service job
Secretary of State Worker (Former Employee) –  Escanaba, MIAugust 1, 2017
Assists state citizens with vehicle and recreational vehicle titling, registration, and driver’s license distribution as well as alternative forms of identification. Also processing voter registration.
I learned a great deal about state law and regulations for all of the above.
Management was superb, made sure every base was covered.
Workplace culture was supportive and positive
The hardest part of the job was understanding the needs and requests of the customers who were used to more seasoned employees.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working on a hands-on, fast-paced position.
Pros
Benefits offered, great advancement opportunities, elite branch management
Cons
Low hours to start with little options for to get more hours
Professionalism
Corrections Officer | Department of Corrections (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 28, 2017
I have had a good work relationship with the staff at the facility.
I have always had a professional attitude on my job . The respect of
the staff members and the prisoners was very important .
most enjoyable part of the job
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 27, 2017
I had a very loveable young man that I took care of from the time he was born till the day he passed away in 2015. I used a feeding pump, hoyer lift, he had many mental and physical disabilities and even after many surgeries and a stroke he was such a go getter and I extremely loved the job with him and miss him
Pros
smiles
Cons
his death
A good experience.
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 25, 2017
This was an enlightening group of jobs, I performed several different jobs with the state. Some days, I traveled to different counties. Some days, I testified in court. A typical was documenting details at my desk and attending meeting. Management was involved and helpful. Workplace culture was enriching and continuous learning. The harding part of the job was involved the weather. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who sometimes do not want your help. The most enjoyable experience was working with the vast variety of people. The most enjoyable part was helping and building relationships. I learned that I can not save and fix this society as an individual. I can be apart of the solution. I was able to self-manage and perform what was needed. The work place culture was different everyday
Pros
Benefits package.
Cons
The weather.
Home health care provider (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 25, 2017
It was nice to do home health care when I was younger cause I got to keep all my money but now I have four kids and the pay doesn't make enough to support
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Pay is monthly
Standard Government Job
SENIOR DEPARTMENTAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 24, 2017
Very family friendly place to work, but typical office politics brings employee morale down. The hardest workers don't always get the promotions and accountability is an issue.
Pros
Family Friendly
Cons
Office Politics
Stressful environment, benefits are good
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJuly 21, 2017
Caseload per person is unreasonable as expectations do not reflect the amount of work that can be done in an 8 hour day. Personal relationships that develop over time are valuable and help offset the daily grind. Being well organized, self-motivated and a great multitasker are all must haves for this job.
Interesting but slow paced
HealthCare Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 19, 2017
I learned a multitude of new skills involved in surveying nursing homes to maintain specific standards for certification. It was a very rewarding position, wonderful co-workers, and great schedule.
Benefits
Cons
Slow paced
I do not work here
do not work here (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJuly 18, 2017
Assesses the appropriateness of inpatient admission and coordinates the correct placement of patients.
Works in collaboration with physicians, nurses, case managers, physician assistants, to facilitate the placement of patients in the appropriate service-based units.
Provides general health information and physician/service referrals.
Facilitates regional physician access to Spectrum Health resources, including consultations and patient transfers.
Proficient use of Cerner, Epic, CECC, Cisco, and Outlook.
Petty and Micro Managing
General Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 15, 2017
Just not a good place to work depending on the department. A lot of the older adults are miserable and unhappy thus making the work environment stressful.
funwork place
Medical claims reviewer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 14, 2017
Pay was good would increase every few months. People very helpful when you needed some assistance. I worked with Medicare and Medicaid claims. I had to process claims some that where passed the time for filing and others that needed additional information in order to be processed. This was done through a monthly generated report.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
sometime very high volumes of work.
Superviser is very progressive with tools to improve job.
Rn (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 13, 2017
Has obtained up to date computers and cell phones and home offices. Has employee appreciation events. Rewards accomplishments with recognition of achievements.
Pros
Home office for field staff
Cons
Lots of travel
Compassion for the needy in a fast pace environment.
Assistant Payment Worker (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 6, 2017
High demand for excellent customer service. People who apply for programs are usually in dire immediate need. We have to have a high level of professionalism and at the same time follow strict policy. Constant communication and application processing with management, staff and the public. Maintain a high level of integrity.
Pros
Flexible family time
Cons
High volume of applicant and stress to process applications timely.
Awesome Work Environment
Word Processing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MichiganJuly 6, 2017
Would recommend to anyone. The job is stable it has good benefits and there's opportunity to move around from County to Count there's opportunity to move around from County to County. There's nothing about the job that's is not appealing to someone who's trying to achieve stability, plan for retiremen plan for retirement, and expand on their skills. The people are good people because they're screamed by the application process.