State of Michigan Employee Reviews

Department of Health & Human Services, Michigan
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), Baldwin, MIAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Great benefit package, fabulous people.
Cons: Politics, very few opportunities for growth.
Working for the state of Michigan is pretty black and white....not much room for color. As much as I love structure and order, I'm looking for a position with a little more flexibility and variety. I am a highly organized person that can be very creative. I have a fabulous rapport with people I meet and work with. I've learned a lot over the years of working with others and encouraging the best from others. Each of us have strengths. The least enjoyable part of my current job is the monotony of it....day after day performing the same tasks for the same people. The most enjoyable part of this job is the unpaid rewards I receive from helping someone in need.
watch your back
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Manistee, MIAugust 20, 2015
if you take a job with the DOC watch your back if Management is not out to get the prisoners might be. Best thing to do is as little as possible when you work for the DOC keep you head down
Stressful and unorganized
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), Macomb, MIAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Job security, 401k match program and work time flexibility
Cons: Overworkded and not given the tools necessary to be truly effective
An Eligibility Specialist for the Department of Health and Human Service is a VERY demanding and stressful position. Our caseloads are oversize--which as caused a very high number of employees going out on medical stress leaves. However, must people going into this line of work because of a genuine need to help people with obtaining life sustaining services. Which I personally pride myself in doing and because of my position, I have been able to apply as well as obtain additional skills i.e.; understanding and interpreting federal and state law regarding policies. An empathy for less fortune families and how societal and social cycle can affect a community as a whole.
Great place to work. Great learning experience.
Resident Care Aide (Current Employee), Westland, MIAugust 13, 2015
Great place to work. Great learning experience. I've grown a lot in my career here. The hardest part about this job would be the day I leave.
JP Morgan Chase, Columbus, OH
Application/software developer (Current Employee), MIAugust 12, 2015
During a typical work week, one of my biggest tasks is checking in on my staff and assessing their progress on various projects. I like to meet first thing on Monday to discuss our priorities for the week, then meet again in the middle of the week to check progress, and meet once at the end of the week to discuss goal setting for the next week. I meet with smaller groups of my staff during the middle of the week to troubleshoot any issues. For example, during a recent mid-week meeting, I noticed one team was a few days behind on a long-term project. I met with the team and, together, we came up with a strategy for increasing efficiency among the team. Along with constant interaction with my team, I also attend a weekly board meeting where I present my department’s progress to the executive board. On Fridays, once all these tasks are completed, I make sure I have completed all necessary communication for the week via email and in person, and create a list of priorities for next week.
my life as an electrician
electrical supervisor (Current Employee), Michigan b.n.s electricalAugust 6, 2015
Pros: being able to being a supervisor
Cons: no over time
I love doing electrical work. Its what I been wanting to do since I graduated its a blessing to wake up an start my career every morning
Corrections
Corrections Officer (Current Employee), New Haven, MIJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Don't have to punch out for lunch
Cons: Can't leave the facilty for lunch, health care
Most days are uneventful which is a good thing working in a prison. There are days when tense situations arise and I handle them with professionalism. I've learned over the years that communication is key when dealing with people. My co-workers are reliable. The hardest part of the job is trying to communicate effectively when dealing with someone that can't have what they want. The most enjoyable part of the day is when all staff members go home safe.
Productive and fast-paced
Home Health Aide (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2015
Pros: short breaks
Cons: healthcare
choose own hours with plenty room for advancement loving caring co workers. enjoy working and meeting different people everyday and working face paced
Provide variety of social services to individuals in need.
Social Service Specialist (Several Positions Held) (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Good benefit packages.
Cons: Difficult at times to explain state mandated rules and regulations.
This agency assists people who are in need depending on the issue at hand. Community resources are identified while securing and maintaining empathy regarding customers' life span situations.
Extremely Challenging Workload
Departmental Technician 8/9 (Current Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Rewarding and beneficial to our Great Lakes.
Cons: High level of expectation regarding workload.
Here in the Environmental Stewardship Division there is a high level of expectation. The workload is high priority and high profile. It is extremely rewarding to complete multiple high priority tasks simultaneously, while completing daily routine tasks. The MAEAP program is a wonderful program for Michigan Agriculture and receives a high level of attention from multiple states.
State of Michigan
Home Health Aide (Current Employee), DetroitJuly 29, 2015
I am currently on a wait list for any new clients. I enjoy helping people whether they are sick or in good health. I am an all-around hard worker.
Productive and fun working with kids.
Babysitting (Former Employee), Flint, MIJuly 27, 2015
Babysitting was very simple and easy.I loved working with kids.And the kids also loved me. The hardest [art about this job was getting the kids to really listen to you or another other than their gaurdians. Besides that i enjoyed this job.
prodcuctive and was my own boss
Childcare Provider (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 26, 2015
I loved it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I love Children and would go back to doing that. Child Care is everywhere. I learned to be patient with the kids.
Great company to work for, love my co-workers and love helping the clients we assist on a daily basis.
Assistance Payments Worker/Lobby Navigator (Current Employee), Jackson, MIJuly 24, 2015
A typical day at work for me is greeting and assisting client's with filling our applications online and assisting clients with filling out correspondence that they do not understand or for those who can not read or write. I have learned at this job you have to have patience in order to serve the public. The management team and co-workers work great together for the good of the clients we serve. The hardest part of my job is trying to please everybody that walks through the doors. The most enjoyable part about my job is helping and serving vulnerable clients with everyday life issues.
Love working with my children and families
Pathway to Potential Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIJuly 16, 2015
Pros: 1 hour lunch break, flexibility
A typical day of work consists of me processing application after completing telephone or in person interview with my clients. The hardest part about my job is having to see children in a unsafe environment. The most enjoyable part about my job is helping children and families break barriers. I love working with my manager and I work very well with my co-workers.
Nice Job
Adult Home Help Provider (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Sufficient free Time.
Cons: Less work hours.
Flexible Hours, interesting client. I have learned a great deal about my city, its more prominent citizens and how to maneuver in the business world.
Flexible Work Environment
Direct Care Worker - Contingent (Current Employee), MIJuly 14, 2015
This is a great opportunity that allows you to schedule your clients to fit their need as well as yours. You meet new people periodically. You are the helping hand to those that rely on you the most.
Customer oriented and pleasant place to work
Departmental Analyst (Current Employee), Lansing MichiganJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Good pay, fun place to work
Cons: none
I currently train individuals on Microsoft SharePoint software. A typical day for me is either spent in a training room or on the phone helping colleagues with questions regarding the software. I find that I enjoy training and helping individuals; it gives me a sense of accomplishment.
Small office
I'm a retired Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Central Michigan CorrectionalJuly 8, 2015
Pros: working alone
Cons: had to log off the computer each time I left the room
I worked in a small office but that was alright, a good cup of coffee and music from the 60's and 70's made the work night go by.
State Of Michigan
Childcare Provider (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Teaching as well as learning
Cons: Monthly pay
I was a child and adult care provider. The joy of working with young people and teaching them some of the basic skills of life. To watch there faces light up with joy when they got something right. The fact that they enjoyed learning is an experience of it's own.
I also enjoyed working the older people as they teach me the history of life that they can only teach, having lived that life and not something they learned out of a book. The ways of cooking and prices. How they compared it to today's world verses back then. I enjoyed all of my life experiences the good and the bad.