State of Michigan Employee Reviews

Very stressful
Service Specialist MDHHS/CPS (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MISeptember 17, 2017
Management micromanages. Case loads are deceptive. Your load will show that you are in compliance but you really aren't expecially around count time. Have complained to State of Michigan and nothing is being done. Most employees are afraid to say anything for fear of losing a good paying job. They will take their work home with them to keep up.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Managers, high case load, dangerous clients
Poor summary
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 15, 2017
The job was good, until new TIA management came into the work place in the last year or so, trying to improve a program that is already leading the nation is a waste of time. Focus on UIA or the Flint issues.
Pros
VES Program
Cons
Poor Executive Level leadership
Working for The State of Michigan
Department of State Aide (Current Employee) –  Novi, MISeptember 14, 2017
Working here has used most of my skills effectively. Multi-tasking is a priority to being able to keep up with the fast pace. Also, being flexible to change is beneficial because policies might change over night.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new and interesting people on a daily basis. I can come into contact with customers that may be relocating from another country or a military family newly moving into the area.

The hardest part of the job is need for additional clerks to help with the volume of customers we handle in a day.
Pros
Working for the State of Michigan, Meeting new people, Job security
Cons
Lack of qualified staff, Shortage of locations
Intense and fast paced work.
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 13, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is serving those in need. There is no such thing as a typical day at work in child welfare work.
The hardest part of the job, was shutting down at the end of the day as there is always urgent cases coming in.
Pros
Excellent pay and full benefits
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to complete everything
SOM was a very culturally diverse establishment to work for. The people were friendly and always willing to help a co-worker in need.
MiTeam Peer Coach (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 12, 2017
My typical work day in the office was pretty laid back but could also get super busy and stressful. I learned how to deal with people of all cultures, religion, race and genders. Management was pretty trusting you were all adults had a job to do and was expected to do it without being babysitted.
The workplace was very culturally diverse eneryone worked together with out any bickering.The hardest part of my job was seeing or supervising meetings where a child had to be replaced to a new foster home or residential placement. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting an helping my clients.
Pros
setting your own schedule, working at your own pace and no micro management, every weekend and holiday off.
Employement with SOM
Word Processing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 10, 2017
Working for the State of Michigan was overall a good, reliable job. The pay and benefits were very good. The problems does not lie with working for the State, it has to do with the Department you work in, upper management, and your co-workers.
Pros
Pay, benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Petty co-workers that complain about eveything and management showing favoritism
great job
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 8, 2017
State of Michigan was the best job I had in my working days I loved my client on my case load which was about 820 I had to manage, but I did it with no problem and I loved it.
Department of Insurance and Financial Services
Senior Executive Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 7, 2017
It's not a great place to work. The culture is bad and most of the managers are unqualified for leadership positions. Most people are only there for the benefits.
A good career that is what you make it.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MISeptember 5, 2017
good pay, lots of good people, great benefits, very fair amount of time off. biggest draw back is lots of weekends to work. opportunity for advancement.
Stressful at times. Good benefits
Assistance Payments Worker/Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 5, 2017
A typical work day is answering phones, tending to customers complaints and processing casework. Sitting most of the day. Stressful at times because management. I enjoy downtown, Morale is a bit low. Want more opportunities for growth. Benefits are good
SoM is a great place to work
Sr Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 2, 2017
No place is perfect but SoM is trying very hard to become a great place to work. The effort placed on engaging employees, process improvement and work life balance is truly admirable. Again they have their issues but overall if you can learn to navigate the highly political environment and work within the constraints that come with public sector work you will do fine.
Pros
40 hour work week, relaxed atmosphere, progressive management
Cons
highly bureaucratic, slow to change, endless paperwork
Hard work for low pay
Commercial Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Macomb County, MIAugust 31, 2017
Sometimes it can be hard to find work in the state of Michigan. Hours can be long. Pay is moderately fair, i.e. most jobs do not pay under $9.00/hr. They do have an abundance of temp. services that will assist ones in acquiring employment.
Pros
temp. services.
Cons
work is slow
Excellent place to work, and raise family
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 29, 2017
I worked for 12 years, got married, raised two kids in. Well balanced company give opportunity to grow career. Started as IT consultant and bacame IT Specialist, had opportunity to work on state wide projects.

Beautiful State, nice epeople
Productive and fun place to work
Senior Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 29, 2017
I was very well satisfied while I worked in CNSI for last 2 years.. it's was an good concern to work with for all employees.. it was an employee based organization.
Over all it was a great experience
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 27, 2017
I just hope i get a call from any job this is my first time signing up but this is a good sight to find jobs. I like the fact i can upload my resume an any job can see it
Caution
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIAugust 24, 2017
It is expected that you will take work home and work off the clock. Honestly, it is about the only way to keep up with the work load. Management expectations are unreasonable.
Good work life balance
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 20, 2017
Working for a public sector employer provides great work-life balance. You are often able to start and end your day at set times, which is nice for people with families and other outside obligations or responsibilities.
Pros
A defined career path
Cons
Little room for innovation or creative idea implementation due to policies and regulations.
Good place to work.
Treasury Customer Service Representative 9 (Former Employee) –  Dimondale, MIAugust 19, 2017
Fast paced call center with frequent changes to daily work. Overall enjoyable place to work if you enjoy engaging with the public. Good benefits and good support systems.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Small work cubicles
Challenging
Staff Auditor (Former Employee) –  Office of the Auditor GeneralAugust 18, 2017
Very challenging career, all learning is done on the job. You have to ask questions as most supervisors seem to believe you have an understanding of how the audit process takes place. Most seem to assume you are experienced already.
Pros
Educational assistance
Cons
Some supervisors are not always willing to be of assistance.
very nice people and fun in my department
IT Student (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 18, 2017
The State of Michigan is a great place to work. Everyone that I worked with wanted to see me succeed. Everyone was very friendly and extremely helpful when I had any questions.
Pros
401k, mostly relaxed
Cons
not enough hours, did not learn as much as anticipated