State of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Bad management. Environment is stressful. Job itself is okay
Behavior analyst (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 3, 2018
Great benefits. Job itself was okay. Not family friendly work schedule.Dont tell you about the mandatory hours you will have to work. Management sucks
Pros
Good benefits
Fun people, stressful atmosphere
HEALTH INSURANCE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 27, 2017
High expectations of accuracy with narrow avenues to ensure accuracy is maintained. Fun people, management and leads extremely supportive within avenues allowed. Learned a great deal of how health insurance, the IRS and politics work together make things happen for those who seek help.
Pros
Location, People, Pay, Knowledge, Help the people meet a need
Cons
Stressful atmosphere
Not applicable
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 27, 2017
I do not know why this showed up as I have never worked for the State of Minnesota. If I had an opportunity to work for the State of Minnesota, I would hope it would be a pleasant experience.
fast-paced and challenging environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 21, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was the ability to collaborate with other employees and the opportunities to receive additional training. The hardest part was stress level.
no support
contract Electrical Inspector (Former Employee) –  Mora, MNDecember 18, 2017
a lower bidder got the job could work on my own, No benefits
had to paid own insurance had to provide tools and vehicle lots of paper work, some folks were hard to deal with
Pros
could work indepent
Cons
no benifity
Judicial Clerk
Judicial Clerk (Former Employee) –  Granite Falls, MNDecember 17, 2017
I have not been licensed in Minnesota for over 10 years. I have worked in Texas since I moved and am no longer licenses in Minnesota. Not sure why this is important.
Drive time
General Maintenance worker (lead) (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 15, 2017
The thing I didn't like was the drive to and from work. I spend a lot of time in my car when the weather is bad. I liked the job once I arrived at work.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
to far from home
Registered Nurse
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Peter, MNNovember 27, 2017
First the positive: I have enjoyed working here as I enjoy the field of psychiatric nursing. The patients are challenging. The benefits are good. The cons: The job can be dangerous as there are assaults or attempted assaults on staff almost daily. This can make it a stressful environment. However for me, it’s not the patients that make the job difficult. It’s a lack of support from management who are out of touch with what happens on the floor. Decisions are made by people behind desks in St. Paul or at least that’s what we are told in meetings and that is frustrating. The schedule is terrible. Nurses work 8 hour rotating shifts 7 days on-2 off-3 on-2 off. You can expect to work until 10:30pm and be required back by 6 am 1-2 times every pay period. Mandatory overtime is frequent, you will be forced to work another shift due to sick calls probably at least once every two weeks. I have been there several years now and can tell you 7 days in a row every other week with the most mentally ill and dangerous patients in the state of Minnesota is exhausting. Especially when forced to work overtime. Management and the union does not support the idea of 10 or 12 hour shifts so nurses can have more days off. The last union rep I talked to about it laughed at me saying it’s not possible because of how short staffed we always are. There is frequent staff turnover. The schedule is not family friendly. You will not be told any of this in your interview or orientation, the mandatory overtime is always a surprise to new nurses.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything else
Typical Government Job
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owatonna, MNNovember 24, 2017
No real opportunity to advance. It paid the bills. This was a temporary job to get me into the environment. Great transitional job from graduate school to real world application.
Good place to work at ground level
Skills Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNNovember 10, 2017
Good place to work at ground level but management has it share if difficulties. If anyone believes that the State is wasteful of money, it certainly is not in this devision of government.
Benefits
Business Analyst
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Anoka, MNNovember 1, 2017
bad management
needs a re-do of all current top administration
poorly run
not prioritized
line staff are not respected
bullying is not addressed
issues of concern are not addressed
not fair treatment of unit staff
no advancement opportunities
Pros
great pay, great benefits
Cons
poor management
Behavioral Modification Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge mnOctober 27, 2017
Is high stress at times but what jobs not. Management trys to get back in a timely manner. Can be a hard place to work at times make sure your up to date on trainings. I got 12 good trainings which helped me learn a lot about my job. The coworkers you work with make the day go by good and a lot of them are really nice people.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
High behaviors in clients
Relaxed workplace with great people
Developer (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 24, 2017
This is a great place to work with a relaxed culture and great people. My manager was very understanding and easy to work with. I learned an entire framework for Java to accomplish the many goals the state had in its modernization effort.
Good co-workers, relaxed office, job was easily understood, after training
Research And taxation (Former Employee) –  Downtown area , st.paulOctober 9, 2017
First job out of high School, was great, supervisors were knowledgeable, good benefits vacation, sick Pay. Co-workers Teamwork. Liked learning how Property taxes were calculated.
Pros
Close to downtown, great benefits, nice area
Cons
Not much advancement, at That Time.
Good Job Security
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 9, 2017
Good job security, excellent benefit package, good work hours, difficult subject matter. Work with the state of Minnesota offers many pre-active opportunities for further job growth.
Not as good as it appears.
Senior Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNOctober 2, 2017
This position was one of the worst jobs of employment I have ever been. There is always drama, favoritism, politics and endless harassment. There was always someone in the office that was targeted for critical criticism.
Benefits
Cons
Politics
Stressful workplace, but good pay
Security Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint Peter, MNSeptember 28, 2017
While this job is relatively easy it does come with its inherent security issues, there are often physical altercations with clients some that have caused injury to staff, you must remain hyper vigilant. The morale is very low, people stay just for the pay and benefits. There is little chance for advancement and everything revolves around seniority. Staff are often inversed meaning you are forced to work overtime sometimes a full second shift. Which means you worked your shift of 8 hours and were forced to work another 8 hours= 16 hours. Granted you get time and a half for it but for people that have families, plans or are just plain tired it is very stressful because you never know when you will be chosen to be inversed, again it is rotated by seniority.

If you are just looking for money, apply and see what you think.
Pros
$ benefits
Cons
Forced overtime, low morale, safety concerns
great hours
LTE Laborer Trades & Equipment (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 21, 2017
working with in the DOC can be challenging, however it is a great place to learn on the job, and work with many different fields. the option for training and schooling is great.
Pros
hours
stressful, energizing
OASI, Account Clerk and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 10, 2017
On the go from the time you walked in the door until you left, everyday was unique and action packed. I learned to multitask, and to think outside the box to get answers to questions.
You never know anymore if you will have a job or if the doors will be closing. Management is too busy cover their own positions to help with the rest of the employees that work there. Too widespread and no one cares about anyone else.
Pros
Alot of time off as a long time employee
Cons
too stressful no nowing if you have a job tomorrow of ot
good first job.
Human Services Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2017
This was my first job out of college and the state has great benefits and flexible hours at the time. I was appreciative of the experience that I gained there