State of Minnesota

State of Minnesota Employee Reviews

GOOD PLACE TO WROK
PeopleSoft Business Analyst (Functional) (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJune 6, 2015
LEARNED A LOT TECHNICALLY. WONDERFUL CO WORKERS AND MANAGEMENT.WORKED VERY HARD DURING THE PROJECT.NEVER FELT STREESED OUT WHILE PERFORMING MY DUTIES AT THE CLIENT SITE.
MNsure: Worst place I've ever worked
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 30, 2015
Pros: MNsure tends to hire highly skilled, experienced employees who are top notch in their fields
Cons: Work environment is terrible, there is a severe lack of effective leadership, politics drives the organization to the point where the organization engages in unethical behavior
Due to poor senior leadership and implementation in 2013, MNsure was failing to meet its goals and objectives. Non-management employees were expected to put in the work hours to "get the job done", while director level managers went home at 4 or 5 p.m. This resulted in many employees putting in 16 hours days and working through weekends for 2-3 months straight, without getting paid overtime. I observed many ethics and integrity issues within the organization. Work environment was at times hostile and there were several complaints about bullying behavior and aggressive behavior on the part of contractors we were required to work with. In addition, coworkers in my business area were generally not supportive and acted like they were contestants on an episode of "Survivor". I generally find it easy to trust people, but by the time I chose to leave MNsure, there were very few people I trusted because I had learned not to do so. i regret investing so much time and effort in an organization that lacks in values and integrity, where top and middle managers excuse their inability to fulfill their responsibilities with the phrase "Oh well, we're a startup". Managers need to stop making excuses for themselves and definitely need to stop treating their human resources like commodities. If you're interested in finding work related to the Affordable Care Act, please hear me when I say there are far better places to work.
It was interesting
Guardian Ad Litem (Current Employee), Milaca, MNMay 29, 2015
Pros: Travel, working with Veterans and families
Cons: early strat of program was disorganized
I enjoyed the training and the chance to work to help Veterans. The program was started but the actual implementation was delayed and caused issues for workers.

During my training my father was diagnosed with cancer and I was unable to continue my job for about a year and when I asked to be reinstated was denied.
Total Incompetence
Behavior Modification Assistant (Former Employee), MinneapolisApril 11, 2015
Pros: Good medical & rewarding job working with the clients
Cons: Too many to list. They're stated above.
Only the incompetent people either get promoted or keep their job. It's been proven time and time again. Since the Jensen settlement, where the state lost millions of $$$, your job is not so protected anymore. I got fired for actually doing my job. DHS lied about the situation and it's being investigated at this time. I'm sure I'll get my job back (union has a good case), but I won't go back, in fear of losing my job again, for something I didn't do. The state spent thousands of $$$ on a 4 bedroom group home for just "1" client!! I'm sure the taxpayers would love to know that!! That's just 1 example of how they over spend the taxpayers money.
Harder than most jobs
Certified Disability Examiner (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNMarch 31, 2015
It is a position with a steep learning curve as you have to apply many governmental policies to each individual claim, but the knowledge gained from this experience I will use throughout my life.
Challenging work environment
Corrections Officer II (Current Employee), Shakopee, MNMarch 24, 2015
Pros: good benifits
Cons: Challenging work environment
Not only was the requirements of my jog to work with people incarcerated, but people that had in some cases severe mental illness. It was a dipterous clientele that I worked with on a daily basis.
A good place to get experience working in a locked facility for CD/MI
Human Service Technician (Current Employee), Anoka, MNMarch 22, 2015
A good place to get experience working in a locked facility for CD/MI. Also i have learned more about working with CD/MI clients.
Positive
Site Manager/ Vermiculture Specialist (Former Employee), Duluth, MNMarch 18, 2015
This was a positive place to work and gain the skills I needed to find a good paying job. It motivated me alot. I have a bunch of nice co-workers that was willing to help out as much as possible.
Great place to work -very satisfying
Business Systems Analyst - MNsure (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNMarch 1, 2015
Pros: liberal work - home life
Cons: compensation
Great place to work -very satisfying.

Co-workers very supportive, as is Management.

Workload is very full, never a chance to be idle.

Serving the people of Minnesota is very rewarding.
Overall Rating is a 9
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Roseville, MNFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: the meeting of many different types of people
Cons: my office has no windows, sometimes we feel like we are in a cage.
I have worked for the State of Minnesota for 27 years.
I started in Trade and Economics as part time.
I moved to the Department of Natural Resources in the Field Services Division, and 90% time, and was upgrated to 100% time 1 year later.
I worked in the DNR for 11 years.
I moved to the Department of Education to which I’m still there.
I have enjoyed my working years in all divisions.
I have met and worked with some amazing people over the years.
Productive Place to Work with Great Benefits and Nice Work/Life Balance
State Planning Director (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNFebruary 3, 2015
Great staff, fantastic supervisor, nice work/life balance, friendly atmosphere, provided opportunities for skill development, but there are not a lot of promotional job openings so it is more difficult finding full-time positions to apply to.
Law Compliance Representative
Law Compliance Representative (Current Employee), Rochester MNJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: an independent work environment has always been a great pleasure in my state patrol career.
Cons: we lost our independent ability to do roadside inspections in april 2014
I enjoy most being able to connect with the commercial vehicle industry and interpret the laws and regulations that need to be followed and be in compliance on daily basis. My most difficult part of the job is explaining to all parties involved in a Data Q challenge the hows and whys of the process and decision making on a particular subject. I have learned many skills over my 33 year career involving federal and state motor carrier laws; statute and regulation applications and interpretation; motor vehicle inspection clues and operating parts of a commercial vehicle; general requirements for a motor carrier in order to operate in both intra and interstate commerce; first aid skills such as CPR and AED operations; Hazardous Material transportations; and offering presentations to motor carriers as needed on subjects of their choosing. I do not have a "typical" day at work because commercial law enforcement is never boring or consistent. I also have assisted with many post crash inspections in which I offer to the investigating officer and their department an overview of the legal operation of the commercial vehicle(s) prior to the crash event. My co-workers through the years have been friendly, helpful, and very professional .
Great people, terrible union and management
SQL Server Support (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNJanuary 2, 2015
If it weren't for the unions I would have stayed. I did day-to-day IT work which was fun and challenging but the union hurt more than it helped. It created a culture of employees vs. management and HR was only there to support management. When state budgets were not completed by the legislature there would be shut-downs without pay, and whenever a new governor was elected a new leader was appointed which usually resulted in overall changes in leadership.
Ask the Right Questions before accepting a position with DHS
LPN PRN (Current Employee), Brainerd, MNDecember 7, 2014
Pros: its a job
Cons: work schedule, use of vacation time, misleading
I would strongly suggest that you accept a job with the State Of Minnesota DHS only after really thinking about it.
1.) You may be hired with a great hourly wage! But they play with your hours, you will be working rotating shift, some weeks you may have 40 a week for months only to be cut back to 40 a pay period.
2.) Hours, shifts, and vacation go by length of employment - the less time you have in the more nights, weekend and Holidays you will be working! AND even though your earning vacation time good luck taking any of it! They allow 1 staff (maybe 2 that's pushing it off at a time) so even if you have 5 years in your not getting it cause the next staff has 30, and the next 27 and so on. Vacation time is booked out a year in advance.
3.) Despite what you learn and hear - there is NO treatment to the folks they serve - you won't be helping anyone and in fact you will tire yourself thinking you are.
4.) They force you to work double shift repeatedly! Ifyou have a family or small children think about this
4.) The management waste funds and tax payers dollars
5.) There is no team approach, your input don't matter
6.) Your skills as a HST or LPN are not used.

PLEASE - before accepting a position find out the dirty truth -
Poor management and politics. Loved the job
Psychiatric RN (Former Employee), Anoka, MNDecember 2, 2014
Learned a lot, but management is not supportive of employees
Fun lighthearded employees!
Clinical Program Therapist II (Former Employee), Moose Lake, MNNovember 28, 2014
Great place to work and enjoy your coworkers' company. Coworkers made the place a great place to work and gain experience and team building.
Great place to work!
Information Technology Specialist 4 (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNNovember 8, 2014
Pros: challenging work and good pay
Cons: too many spinning disks and not enough ssd
Working for the State of Minnesota Data Storage Services group is very rewarding. We are a small group of Storage Engineers that recommend, install, benchmark, put into production, and administer multiple petabytes of storage for State Agencies across the State of Minnesota.
An overall great employment opportunity!
Behavior Modification Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, MNNovember 5, 2014
This is a very rewarding place of employment. Even someone who had a wealth of knowledge will learn something new every day! Helping individuals meet their daily needs in a positive setting is very rewardable! The management does well at teaching each staff member individually and more importantly as a team.
Working for the State of Minnesota
Culinary Storage Clerk (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNOctober 19, 2014
Pros: great working environment, excellent working conditions, respectful colleagues and staff.excellent benefits. great pay
Cons: none rto speak of, to be honest.
Summarily speaking, working for the State wasn't a BAD job,
there were many perks.
In the particular sector I'd worked in, colleague and client relations were vital, as it was a very diverse atmosphere.
I'd learned many things, many of which, in the food industry, I'd had little exposure to from prior employers that the Chef-Instructors handily and readily addressed, such as state guidelines for dry and cold storage,
The contact with students and co-workers in the cafeteria was exemplary, and I enjoyed interacting with and assisting the student body and other cafeteria Visitors.
The job was 50-50
50 percent physical, and 50 percent mental- especially when it came to priority food and supply orders, and on load days ,

I would also take time out of this already hectic schedule to assist my direct Supervisor,who ran Catering operations, or my colleagues in the kitchen,dining area, and , if needed , I'd assist the dish staff-

-wherever I was needed , i'd help.

If there was anything bad to say about the job, it was one person in management who seemed rather complacent with things "just as they were"-
A department with, really, no camaraderie, no team ethic, and he seemed content with that.
In the time I was there, our department went from 9 disparate individuals,4 chef-instructors,about 30 students, and 2 supervisors , into a somewhat cohesive team; each department or staff member working in tandem with the others, while assisting the student body-
-the primary role of anyone working in the Education or Education-Support fields.
Decent job with good benefits
General Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), MNSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: breaks were paid
Cons: short breaks
I learned how to do some floor work at this job. The management there was pretty well there. Co-workers were great. Hardest part of the job was some of the "runs" that had to be done, a few of them were overkill for just 8 hours.

1 2 3