State of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Provide employment service to Minnesotan's with disabilities
Vocational Rehabilitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNNovember 9, 2015
A very rewarding and often challenging job. Outstanding co-workers and supervisor. Service to humanity is the best work of life.
Nice State Project
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 22, 2015
Gain so much of experience from this State Govt Project and learn so many things from this job. The colleague also very co operative
Great benefits, low pay
OPERATING ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNOctober 15, 2015
Like with any job for the state, the health and retirement benefits are great but the pay is low. I could make 5-7 dollars more an hour in the private sector, but probably not have as good of benefits.
Benefits
Cons
low pay, rotating shifts
Prs
Peer Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNSeptember 26, 2015
This course was offered through the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
Excellent Course

Course Completed for Peer Recovery Specialist
State Certified and Certification kept up with Continued Education Credits yearly.
Schedule vehicle request. Adjust monitors. Handle mail. Answer phones. Various responsibilities.
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNSeptember 14, 2015
I really enjoy my job and coworkers.
Everybody works together as a team.
Cross trained and willing to go above and beyond our job duties.
Pros
Paid Holiday's
very friendly environment
Resource Center Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 21, 2015
I assisted customers with basic computer skills, creating an email, creating a resume, updating a resume, and directed them to job search websites.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
challenging environment
Too much politics and union rules
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  MNAugust 19, 2015
I enjoyed some of my co-workers. My scheduling was inflexible. Too much top down. Too much work load. Fastidious callers.
I learned a lot about MN state health care programs
Pros
Health care and retirement Benefits
Cons
Inflexible schedule, and high work load
Vocational Rehabilitation Services
Office Assistant Specialist, Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 30, 2015
Working in Vocational Rehabilitation Services is a great way to have the opportunity to work with a very diverse group of people. I am fortunate to work at the front desk where I get the pleasure of meeting many of our consumers.
Diverse work environment with growth potential.
Management Analyst II (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 28, 2015
I enjoyed my 30+ years as an Employee of the State of Minnesota. Management and supervisors were proactive in employee's growth, educational opportunities, and input. My daily job, although sometimes stressful, was very diverse and rewarding. Supervisor allowed me the freedom to develop work techniques and provided the necessary tools for me to excel. Guidance was provided when needed, and support wasn't just expressed, it was demonstrated. In my position as a Documentation Specialist - Management Analyst, I interacted with all levels of employees - from political appointed officials, Commissioners, managers and frontline employees. High profile documents I worked on included State Financial Reports, State Forecasts reports and updates, Biennial and Capital Budgets, and other annual reports.
Pros
Training & Education Opportunities, Work environment (management and co-workers), variety of duties.
Cons
Quick product turnaround, tight deadlines, budget restrictions/cuts, and last-minute changes in product requirements.
Challenging but fun and fulfilling!
Human Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Biwabik, MinnesotaJuly 22, 2015
I learned many new things working for the State of Minn. I was trained in medication administration, CPR/AED and First Aid. I was able to do many of the things I enjoy: assisting people with daily living, keeping them active in the community as well as with family and friends, and most of all making sure they're getting the most out of life!
Pros
Clients and coworkers
Cons
Job security and understaffing
Great place to work!
Office and Administrative Specialist Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Rochester Community and Technical CollegeJuly 1, 2015
Great place to work! I enjoy my job, co-workers, and supervisors. The last 10 years have flown by and my job stays as exciting and challenging as day one.
Good place to wrok
PeopleSoft Business Analyst (Functional) (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 6, 2015
Learned a lot technically. Wonderful co workers and management.Worked very hard during the project.Never felt streesed out while performing my duties at the client site.
MNsure: Worst place I've ever worked
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 30, 2015
Due to poor senior leadership and implementation in 2013, MNsure was failing to meet its goals and objectives. Non-management employees were expected to put in the work hours to "get the job done", while director level managers went home at 4 or 5 p.m. This resulted in many employees putting in 16 hours days and working through weekends for 2-3 months straight, without getting paid overtime. I observed many ethics and integrity issues within the organization. Work environment was at times hostile and there were several complaints about bullying behavior and aggressive behavior on the part of contractors we were required to work with. In addition, coworkers in my business area were generally not supportive and acted like they were contestants on an episode of "Survivor". I generally find it easy to trust people, but by the time I chose to leave MNsure, there were very few people I trusted because I had learned not to do so. i regret investing so much time and effort in an organization that lacks in values and integrity, where top and middle managers excuse their inability to fulfill their responsibilities with the phrase "Oh well, we're a startup". Managers need to stop making excuses for themselves and definitely need to stop treating their human resources like commodities. If you're interested in finding work related to the Affordable Care Act, please hear me when I say there are far better places to work.
Pros
MNsure tends to hire highly skilled, experienced employees who are top notch in their fields
Cons
Work environment is terrible, there is a severe lack of effective leadership, politics drives the organization to the point where the organization engages in unethical behavior
It was interesting
Guardian Ad Litem (Current Employee) –  Milaca, MNMay 29, 2015
I enjoyed the training and the chance to work to help Veterans. The program was started but the actual implementation was delayed and caused issues for workers.

During my training my father was diagnosed with cancer and I was unable to continue my job for about a year and when I asked to be reinstated was denied.
Pros
Travel, working with Veterans and families
Cons
early strat of program was disorganized
Total Incompetence
Behavior Modification Assistant (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisApril 11, 2015
Only the incompetent people either get promoted or keep their job. It's been proven time and time again. Since the Jensen settlement, where the state lost millions of $$$, your job is not so protected anymore. I got fired for actually doing my job. DHS lied about the situation and it's being investigated at this time. I'm sure I'll get my job back (union has a good case), but I won't go back, in fear of losing my job again, for something I didn't do. The state spent thousands of $$$ on a 4 bedroom group home for just "1" client!! I'm sure the taxpayers would love to know that!! That's just 1 example of how they over spend the taxpayers money.
Pros
Good medical & rewarding job working with the clients
Cons
Too many to list. They're stated above.
Harder than most jobs
Certified Disability Examiner (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 31, 2015
It is a position with a steep learning curve as you have to apply many governmental policies to each individual claim, but the knowledge gained from this experience I will use throughout my life.
Challenging work environment
Corrections Officer II (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNMarch 24, 2015
Not only was the requirements of my jog to work with people incarcerated, but people that had in some cases severe mental illness. It was a dipterous clientele that I worked with on a daily basis.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
Challenging work environment
A good place to get experience working in a locked facility for CD/MI
Human Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Anoka, MNMarch 22, 2015
A good place to get experience working in a locked facility for CD/MI. Also i have learned more about working with CD/MI clients.
Positive
Site Manager/ Vermiculture Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 18, 2015
This was a positive place to work and gain the skills I needed to find a good paying job. It motivated me alot. I have a bunch of nice co-workers that was willing to help out as much as possible.
Great place to work -very satisfying
Business Systems Analyst - MNsure (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 1, 2015
Great place to work -very satisfying.

Co-workers very supportive, as is Management.

Workload is very full, never a chance to be idle.

Serving the people of Minnesota is very rewarding.
Pros
liberal work - home life
Cons
compensation