State of Mississippi Employee Reviews

Medicaid Specialist (Current Employee) –  Senatobia, MSJuly 9, 2016
Typical work day is pretty busy, but easy to manage. Co-workers are great and the benefits are excellent. I've learned how to interact with the public at a greater more experienced level.
can be a fun place at times
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJanuary 7, 2017
Rewarding but the environment is all for one you are on your own new worker.The work hours will change after training to 8:00 or 9:00 pm.If you have small children you better have a great support team because you will be working long hours. Large caseloads with limited staff to work the cases. The state agreed to do for the families but can't provide for the children themselves.
Pros
Holidays, Retirement
Cons
Long hours, no time for self.
Fun workplace, Hard work, Good hours.
Snowden Grove Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSSeptember 9, 2016
Snowden Grove is a great place to work. You start working part-time while school is going on, if you have school. You can work about 8-9 hours on weekends, during the summer an international tournament called Dizzy Dean, will need you to work many long hours, for example, in my Dizzy Dean check, i worked 98 hours with 18 hours over time.
Pros
Free Food usually after Concessions closes
Cons
Heat
This Job is Not Worth It.
Family Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJanuary 30, 2016
The only pro is the holidays and the benefits are not too shabby. Everything, and I mean everything, else is a sham. Horrible work environment, if you speak your mind, you are doomed, and you basically work 24/7. You will have no social or personal life. Don't take this job, even for the experience. It isn't worth it.
Pros
Holidays, Benefits
Cons
Pay stinks, Management is tyranical, you will have no life.
Awesome
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 9, 2017
Great people. Great experience. The overall culture could been better but for the most part it was a breeze. I enjoyed my job and the unit under Family and Children Services.
great place to work and learn
DHS-Supervisor lll (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJuly 15, 2016
I learned an abundance of essentials at my current, as well as former employments. I realized early on that patients and empathy go a long way. I also learned the importance of policies and procedures for the state. DHS was definitely an environment for continued advancement. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to work here.
So, I would say the most enjoyable part of my job is helping the clients.
Great service to people
DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 24, 2017
Working in Medicare enables a candidate to help those who truly need the help to navigate to what can be a challenging system for healthcare needs. It was very rewarding to assist those who needed help.
Intensive
Intern Accountant (Former Employee) –  McComb, MSDecember 25, 2016
This job was not an easy job, dealing with the county, and handling the county accounts payable. During my time there, it was work intensive.
Very Hostile lace too work.
CS first EW in the end (Former Employee) –  Greenwood,MS.March 5, 2015
Ok so your getting a fair warning,I only wished someone would have warned me. Taking this job was a bad move, I was literally in h$ll from 8 until 5,my only comfort were lunch breaks and going home. I worked in The Greenwood, MS. division the director there is a bully and a micromanager tyrant. Their turnover rate is very high she is rude to the customers, and DHS workers. If you like directors that reprimand you in front of clients and others, and who stands over your shoulder all day this job is for you. While one may be lead to believe this reviewer is just lazy, go there as a client or just sit in the front lobby and observe her, you will see this bully in action. I ray daily For God to forgive me for quitting a job when so many other are in need of one. It was just that bad.
Pros
The benefits
Cons
Your training and work environment is hostile.
Not a good place to work if you have small kids and aren't able to work more than 8 hr
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJuly 16, 2016
I agree with the comment above, this is a job you take it for not working at the time but are looking. This is also no a great place to work if you have child because of the mandatory over time that is very unexpected. It's a CNA job without having to have certification and without the pay former worker for 11 months.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Low pay, unprofessional

Want to know more about State of Mississippi?

Ask a question
Terrible pay, terrible people and terrible benefits
State of MS, DPS, State Trooper (Current Employee) –  Statewide.December 16, 2013
This was my dream job until I started seeing all of the politics effect every aspect of it. At first I couldn't believe it and didnt want to. I went through 22 weeks of training which was pure hell just to be screwed around, transferred all over the state and also have NO help or pay raise. My coworkers would shun you if you weren't in the right "clique" and there's so much backstabbing going on that I can't even begin to describe it. I'm currently looking now for something better.
Pros
Retirement, freedom
Cons
Admin, no advancement, over worked, low pay, nobody can be trusted, extremely demanding
How do they expect people to make a living??
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  MississippiJuly 11, 2013
Working for the state of MS is not favorable. The pay and benefits are horrible but yet they demand so much from you, from the application/interview process to the job(s). You could wait for months to receive an interview or know of your status for a job you've applied for. They make it hard to make a living for hard working people and their families, and don't offer raises!

STATE OF MISSISSIPPI, DO BETTER AND PAY THE PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING FOR YOU BETTER!!!!!
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
Pay/salary, hours, not much room for advancement, long application/interview process
I enjoy learning different things everyday
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  JacksonJuly 7, 2015
A lobby full and everyone is there to see the doctor. I make sure that everyone had signed in and filled out all their paperwork. I make sure that the patient I call is comfortable and conversational. My co workers are very supportive and helpful, we work as a team. I really enjoy taking care of people whether they are sick or not, old or young. The hardest thing is seeing the terminally ill children.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
not enough pay
State of Mississippi is known for burning you out and underpaying you.
FPW Specialist Investigator (Former Employee) –  Poplarville, MSAugust 7, 2012
The State of Mississippi does not realize that if you have children and a family that they also need to be taken care of as well as your job. They will not allow you to balance the two in your life. They demand you to get a degree you do not want and if you do not they will demote you and cut your pay.
Pros
holidays
Cons
you will never see your family and not be paid properly. the benefits are horrible!
Cons out weighs the pros by far. Don't do it!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus,MSOctober 6, 2014
Great people to work with but poor management and training. The office is under staffed which means heavy work loads. Pay is very low for the amount of work.
Pros
paid holidays, personal leave time, off on weekends
Cons
very low pay, heavy work load, under staffed, high insurance deductible, poor benefits with high rates.
Great leave time; Good insurance and retirement
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 29, 2014
It was a good decision to have worked for the State. Only disadvantages, pay lags behind private sector and cost of living raises are infrequent.
Pros
The amount of holiday and leave time available
Cons
Infrequent raises
Great Place to work
Database Administrator / SAP BASIS Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 14, 2014
Raises are few and far between as the state legislature has not passed a raise for state employees in years.

It is a very rewarding place to work.
Loved it!
Mississippi Development Authority (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 23, 2016
The job was everything that I hoped for it to be. Very laid back and casual. I loved my co-workers as well as the management. I wasn't closely supervised and had the chance to work on my own.
loved my co-workers, managers and clients served
Project Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 14, 2015
worked mostly by scheduled appointments, but willing to help at any given time. Served the public by making use of my bilingual skills, I maintained busy with translation of policies to meet deadlines.

I learned about some of the many areas of the Health and Human Services Department. I truly enjoyed all aspects of my job. I loved the very supportive management, co-workers and schedule flexibility. The hardest part was to say good bye.
Pros
flexible schedule
Time at the Pike County Health Department
Director IV (Former Employee) –  McComb, MSJune 13, 2015
In 25 Years of working at the Pike County Health Department, a typical day was never typical. The best part of the job is helping some one who really needs your help and appreciates it, you step back at the end of the day and smile. The hardest part of the job, is some one who comes in and has an attitude and you smile and never let the attitude effect you, because you know this person needs help but is having a hard time dealing with reality. What I learned is, life is to be enjoyed true enough, but one of my enjoyments is being an office and proving what skills I still have to offer. This I miss and am ready to be back in an office. I miss working at the Health Department and my co-workers, they were not just my sub-ordinates they were my friends and we stay in touch.
Pros
monthly leave that rolled over
Cons
Management in Jackson had problems backing up District people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Mississippi. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8