State of Mississippi Employee Reviews

DHS large office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 2, 2017
Social workers and supervisors work late almost everyday. You don't get paid overtime. Some days you don't get a break (smoke, lunch, or otherwise). Collaboration between employees is discouraged by upper-level supervisors. You are constantly interrupted and have no privacy; anyone can walk into your office and go through your paperwork or files. Some positions have a workload that should be covered by two or more people instead of one.
Cons
no breaks, teamwork is discouraged, poor pay, earned time off is only allowed if stipulations are met
Great working environment.
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 25, 2017
PROS: Great career for working with individuals with disabilities. Great atmosphere. Opportunity to learn.

CONS: Not many opportunities for advancement. Fast-paced and plenty of case work. Sometimes have to work without an assistant.
Pros
good healthcare
Cons
stressful
aaaa
Retired (Former Employee) –  Department of Finance & Administration OPTFMAugust 6, 2017
I loved it until I didn't. I was there for 28 years and it was time to move on. I enjoyed serving the State of MS employees in the capacities I was able..
Pros
Health Insurance paid for
Cons
Few Raises
Large caseload/Low Pay
Medicaid Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Picayune, MSJune 9, 2017
While working for the State of MS in the Medicaid office I learned a lot about business and life in general. It opened my eyes to how many people really need assistance and also about the amount of waste the government produces. I loved the fact that I could help people that really needed help benefits because they were in a tight spot. They weren't looking for a hand out only a hand up. I DID NOT like the fact that so many people were openly abusing the system and some in management knew this and applauded it! Needing back surgery myself, I was not able to get any kind of assistance because I was single and did not have any children, and also because I wasn't on any other gov't assistance. I could however have been put on disability but I would only be able to work 20 hours/week. It was like they wanted people to get on these gov't programs and stay on them forever instead of using them for short term help. It just made me sick because there were people who truly needed the help but I couldn't get them approved because they were honest in the interview but if you came in and lied (and I knew that you were lying) they would be approved every time!
Pros
easy work, great coworkers
Cons
having to tell people no that really need help
Former Employee
Revenue Officer (Former Employee) –  MSMay 25, 2017
This is the last place I would consider working. Worked for DOR for 16 years and it was pure misery. Management is a joke and you will only advance if you are good looking or kiss up. It takes forever for managers to make a decision and there favorite answer is wait. Benefits are good and time off but that's about it. Only people who get promoted are unmotivated, lazy, and sorry folks. If you have no ambition in life, this will be a good job for you.
Pros
benfits, days off
Cons
Very poor management, takes forever for decision to be made, and many others
Great environment. Very fast paced.
MS (Former Employee) –  MSMay 20, 2017
Great environment to work in. Can get a little hectic but the supervisors help and make it a team effort. Enjoyed every bit of the day to day activities and helping our clients.
Rewarding
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSMay 19, 2017
Caseload was slightly high but manageable. Co-workers willing to assist if needed. Management was very accessible and supportive. Hardest part was scheduling appointments to allow all necessary client reviews while also keeping up with new intakes.
Pros
location
Cons
work load could be high at times
Depends on the Office You Work
Division Director II (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 5, 2017
This can be a great place to work. It all depends on who you are working for. Not the best place for promotion. Pay is low compared to northern states.
Dead end job, definitely not a career
LONG TERM CARE MEDICIAD SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MSApril 21, 2017
A typical day will consist of sitting down at the desk at exactly your start time and stay there until your leave time. Very few breaks are given. Tons of micro-management but no help offered. Sort of like "crack the whip" type of thing (a manager actually used that term once). Very, very, very disorganized. There is absolutely no training! You just have to learn things on your own or ask your co-workers for help. The managers are very rude and often make personal comments that have nothing to do with the job. There is no incentive for advancement or pay increase. Expectations for the job such as the performance changes very frequently and are sometimes impossible. For example, you're told to process all applications and renewals by the end of the month. So, when you meet the deadline, they ask, "why didn't you do it before the end of the month?" Then the next week, you're asked to do the same thing by the middle of the month or the 15th. And then the next week that changes to the 10th. And when most of the company can not meet the expectations by then, they change it back to the original date. Then the process starts all over again. Compensation does not match for what's required and the education required. The amount of work is not evenly distributed and management takes pride in letting you know that they will fire you at any time.
Pros
It's a job so you will get a check
Cons
very stressful, no training, no advancement, management is rude and not helpful and compensation is not good.
The work you do is not well compensated with the pay your given.
Direct Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ellisville, MSApril 10, 2017
It is not a great place to work. it takes forever for them to even consider advancement . you are not well compensated in terms of pay and the stress of the job is not worth it.
Pros
The people i serve. The insurance.
Cons
not enough pay, not ran properly. not worth the stress
Job Security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMarch 29, 2017
I liked having the option of applying for other positions within the state in order to advance. I could take what I learned from one position and maximize on it when a job presented itself that would challenge me more.
Awesome
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 9, 2017
Great people. Great experience. The overall culture could been better but for the most part it was a breeze. I enjoyed my job and the unit under Family and Children Services.
I worked helping people obtain their geds
GED Tutor (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSFebruary 1, 2017
Helping people with thier education can be very challenging, yet very fulfilling. My favorite part was the students that completed and made something of this achievement. The hardest part was the resiliance on the part of some students
Great service to people
DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 24, 2017
Working in Medicare enables a candidate to help those who truly need the help to navigate to what can be a challenging system for healthcare needs. It was very rewarding to assist those who needed help.
can be a fun place at times
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJanuary 7, 2017
Rewarding but the environment is all for one you are on your own new worker.The work hours will change after training to 8:00 or 9:00 pm.If you have small children you better have a great support team because you will be working long hours. Large caseloads with limited staff to work the cases. The state agreed to do for the families but can't provide for the children themselves.
Pros
Holidays, Retirement
Cons
Long hours, no time for self.
Intensive
Intern Accountant (Former Employee) –  McComb, MSDecember 25, 2016
This job was not an easy job, dealing with the county, and handling the county accounts payable. During my time there, it was work intensive.
Daily Duties of a Patrolman
Patrolman (Former Employee) –  State of MississippiDecember 12, 2016
Patrolled an assigned district in a patrol car on assignment for the purpose of observing the area for possible criminal activity or other conditions that could endanger public safety, investigating complaints and enforcing laws
Investigated and reported accidents, dangerous or defective streets, sidewalks, traffic lights or other hazardous conditions.
Enforced all felony and misdemeanor laws of Mississippi
Served warrants, summons, subpoenas, civil and other official papers
Pros
The most Rewarding Career
Cons
The Salary is hard to make a living on
Workplace Environment
Auditor/Accountant (Current Employee) –  Brookhaven, MSDecember 6, 2016
It has a great working environment with supportive co-workers and management. I've learned about sales and use tax of which are not taught in colleges. I also learned how to deal with the public in an effective manner. This job has taught me how to manage my time and be consistent in meeting deadlines. However, there's not much growth potential that I desire.
Pros
Benefits, Co-workers
Cons
Growth oppourtunities
Fun workplace, Hard work, Good hours.
Snowden Grove Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSSeptember 9, 2016
Snowden Grove is a great place to work. You start working part-time while school is going on, if you have school. You can work about 8-9 hours on weekends, during the summer an international tournament called Dizzy Dean, will need you to work many long hours, for example, in my Dizzy Dean check, i worked 98 hours with 18 hours over time.
Pros
Free Food usually after Concessions closes
Cons
Heat
Not a good place to work if you have small kids and aren't able to work more than 8 hr
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJuly 16, 2016
I agree with the comment above, this is a job you take it for not working at the time but are looking. This is also no a great place to work if you have child because of the mandatory over time that is very unexpected. It's a CNA job without having to have certification and without the pay former worker for 11 months.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Low pay, unprofessional