State of Mississippi

State of Mississippi Employer Reviews

Great Place to work
Database Administrator / SAP BASIS Team Lead (Current Employee), Jackson, MSMay 14, 2014
Raises are few and far between as the state legislature has not passed a raise for state employees in years.

It is a very rewarding place to work.
Terrible pay, terrible people and terrible benefits
State of MS, DPS, State Trooper (Current Employee), Statewide.December 16, 2013
Pros: retirement, freedom
Cons: admin, no advancement, over worked, low pay, nobody can be trusted, extremely demanding
This was my dream job until I started seeing all of the politics effect every aspect of it. At first I couldn't believe it and didnt want to. I went through 22 weeks of training which was pure hell just to be screwed around, transferred all over the state and also have NO help or pay raise. My coworkers would shun you if you weren't in the right "clique" – more... and there's so much backstabbing going on that I can't even begin to describe it. I'm currently looking now for something better. – less
low pay
direct care worker (Former Employee), whitfieldAugust 14, 2013
Pros: after six months you can apply for internal positions if availible.
Cons: short breaks, hard work, low pay, sometimes unprofessional.
as a direct care worker the pay is extremely low and the turnover rate is extremely high, its a job that you take if you're not currently working at the time.
How do they expect people to make a living??
Anonymous (Current Employee), MississippiJuly 11, 2013
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: pay/salary, hours, not much room for advancement, long application/interview process
Working for the state of MS is not favorable. The pay and benefits are horrible but yet they demand so much from you, from the application/interview process to the job(s). You could wait for months to receive an interview or know of your status for a job you've applied for. They make it hard to make a living for hard working people and their families, – more... and don't offer raises!

STATE OF MISSISSIPPI, DO BETTER AND PAY THE PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING FOR YOU BETTER!!!!! – less
dead end
anonymous employee (Current Employee), Jackson, MSMay 20, 2013
Pros: time to fill out job applications, holidays and time off
the only way to advance at the MS state government is to sit at your desk the longest. Supervisors are generally people to dumb to find other jobs. Pay is very, very low. Productivity is not rewarded, it is punishable (by making you do the work your co-workers should be doing).
Loved being with the children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Olive Branch, MSJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: students
Cons: doesn't pay much
I assisted the teacher and the students with the classwork.
Enjoy the work that I do
Medicaid Specialist I & II (Current Employee), Columbus MSDecember 27, 2012
I enjoy the work that I do. I enjoy being able to help client's and answer the questions as they arise. I enjoy meeting my client's and getting to know them individually.
A variety of nursing experience obtained. Worked with patients of all ages.
RN Supervisor (Former Employee), Ellisville, MSOctober 2, 2012
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: physically demanding
Made rounds with unit physician. Conducted assessments. Admitted and discharged patients. Provided supervisory assistance to nursing support staff. Documented all medical records using electronic charting. Learned multi-tasking and time management skills. Administered medications and treatments as ordered. Attended meetings on the behalf of the Medical – more... Department. Enjoyed working with staff and HAB team as well as patients. Received award for Nurse of the Year in 2009 – less
State of Mississippi is known for burning you out and underpaying you.
FPW Specialist Investigator (Former Employee), Poplarville, MSAugust 7, 2012
Pros: holidays
Cons: you will never see your family and not be paid properly. the benefits are horrible!
The State of Mississippi does not realize that if you have children and a family that they also need to be taken care of as well as your job. They will not allow you to balance the two in your life. They demand you to get a degree you do not want and if you do not they will demote you and cut your pay.
Fun
Licensed Builder (Current Employee), jackson, Ms.July 10, 2012
As long as I am working in a field that has somthing to do with Residential and commercial construction I love it.
Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), District IX ClinicsSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: 8am-5pm great hours
Cons: low pay
As long as you do not voice your concerns - you will do fine! But if you speak out against "the click" in which certain employees are allowed to take supplies from the clinic or speak out against employees being awarded special privileges like doing errands on company (no personal leave turned in) time. While you are expected to run the clinics and – more... not complain...then you might like working for them. I know this cannot be the norm throughout the entire state, but that is how it was. – less

About State of Mississippi

Mississippi State University is a comprehensive, doctoral-degree-granting university offering to a diverse and capable student – Read more