State of Mississippi Employee Reviews

loved my co-workers, managers and clients served
Project Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 14, 2015
worked mostly by scheduled appointments, but willing to help at any given time. Served the public by making use of my bilingual skills, I maintained busy with translation of policies to meet deadlines.

I learned about some of the many areas of the Health and Human Services Department. I truly enjoyed all aspects of my job. I loved the very supportive management, co-workers and schedule flexibility. The hardest part was to say good bye.
Pros
flexible schedule
Perfect Internship
Campaign Intern for U.S. Senator Thad Cochran (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJuly 27, 2015
Learned a lot of valuable work lesson like how to approach others and communicate with new people. Gained a vast knowledge in various fields of the real working world,
Pros
Great experience
Cons
A lot of door to door walking.
It's a job.
medicaid (Current Employee) –  missississippiJuly 24, 2015
Paid holidays, reliable retirement.

Underpaid, overworked - work environment can be anywhere from bearable to downright hostile. Management is controlling and nonstop demanding. Thankless work.
Pros
Paid holidays, personal time off accrual
Cons
micromanagement, favoritism
I enjoy learning different things everyday
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  JacksonJuly 7, 2015
A lobby full and everyone is there to see the doctor. I make sure that everyone had signed in and filled out all their paperwork. I make sure that the patient I call is comfortable and conversational. My co workers are very supportive and helpful, we work as a team. I really enjoy taking care of people whether they are sick or not, old or young. The hardest thing is seeing the terminally ill children.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
not enough pay
Awesome place to work.
HARRISON COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJune 14, 2015
Learned a unlimited amount about criminal law. Work on my first computer term. Learn a lot of new program. Learn all about Grand Jury and Indictments. Worked with a very experienced team. Well organized corporoation.
Time at the Pike County Health Department
Director IV (Former Employee) –  McComb, MSJune 13, 2015
In 25 Years of working at the Pike County Health Department, a typical day was never typical. The best part of the job is helping some one who really needs your help and appreciates it, you step back at the end of the day and smile. The hardest part of the job, is some one who comes in and has an attitude and you smile and never let the attitude effect you, because you know this person needs help but is having a hard time dealing with reality. What I learned is, life is to be enjoyed true enough, but one of my enjoyments is being an office and proving what skills I still have to offer. This I miss and am ready to be back in an office. I miss working at the Health Department and my co-workers, they were not just my sub-ordinates they were my friends and we stay in touch.
Pros
monthly leave that rolled over
Cons
Management in Jackson had problems backing up District people
This job is perfect for someone who enjoys public service!!!
Special Project Officer III (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMarch 29, 2015
Record Keeping, some knowledge of laws, and excellent communication skills needed.

I love serving the public and I hope to be in public service for the rest of my career.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
All the good food places nearby.
Very Hostile lace too work.
CS first EW in the end (Former Employee) –  Greenwood,MS.March 5, 2015
Ok so your getting a fair warning,I only wished someone would have warned me. Taking this job was a bad move, I was literally in h$ll from 8 until 5,my only comfort were lunch breaks and going home. I worked in The Greenwood, MS. division the director there is a bully and a micromanager tyrant. Their turnover rate is very high she is rude to the customers, and DHS workers. If you like directors that reprimand you in front of clients and others, and who stands over your shoulder all day this job is for you. While one may be lead to believe this reviewer is just lazy, go there as a client or just sit in the front lobby and observe her, you will see this bully in action. I ray daily For God to forgive me for quitting a job when so many other are in need of one. It was just that bad.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
your training and work environment is hostile.
Worst state to work for!
Environmentalist (Current Employee) –  JacksonFebruary 2, 2015
It's all a political game. I agree w 1 of the other reviewers....as long as you don't voice your opinion, you may be able to keep your job. And if you are apart of a certain"click" you WILL be protected. ALL of the head hunchos; promote and encourage bullying, harassment, and retaliation. If you voice your opinion or complain, you WILL be retaliated against by the ENTIRE agency and all of the negativity comes from high up. Supervisors don't have a voice, miromanagement is HUGE. They do not want employees who just want to mind their own business and do their work. They will deny you from trainings, but instead write u up for missing a fake in-service implemented to pick on "you"; the person who complains or speaks their mind......if you can deal with being a part of a "click" who has no morals, values or no conscious then the state is definitely for you!
Pros
none other than being off on weekends
Cons
promote violence, low pay, deny training opportunities, huge micromanagement issues
Cons out weighs the pros by far. Don't do it!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus,MSOctober 6, 2014
Great people to work with but poor management and training. The office is under staffed which means heavy work loads. Pay is very low for the amount of work.
Pros
paid holidays, personal leave time, off on weekends
Cons
very low pay, heavy work load, under staffed, high insurance deductible, poor benefits with high rates.
Great leave time; Good insurance and retirement
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 29, 2014
It was a good decision to have worked for the State. Only disadvantages, pay lags behind private sector and cost of living raises are infrequent.
Pros
the amount of holiday and leave time available
Cons
infrequent raises
Very rewarding
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Holly Springs, MSSeptember 10, 2014
I learned from working at the State of Mississippi that there are many hard working social workers and supportive staff who are in this field of practice because they want to help people in their time of need. Unfortunately, the major stake holders do not place a high enough value for this specialty which has resulted in poor work performances and poor morale.
Pros
paid time off and retirement package
Cons
unaffordable health insurance and high case loads
It was a very nice to place to work.
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSAugust 18, 2014
I really enjoyed going to work everyday and I had great co-workers. I was happy to be able to assist patrons with finding a job. It was difficult when the patrons would come in to complain about their unemployment and we were actually the employment side. But all around it was a wonderful place to work.
Great Place to work
Database Administrator / SAP BASIS Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 14, 2014
Raises are few and far between as the state legislature has not passed a raise for state employees in years.

It is a very rewarding place to work.
Terrible pay, terrible people and terrible benefits
State of MS, DPS, State Trooper (Current Employee) –  Statewide.December 16, 2013
This was my dream job until I started seeing all of the politics effect every aspect of it. At first I couldn't believe it and didnt want to. I went through 22 weeks of training which was pure hell just to be screwed around, transferred all over the state and also have NO help or pay raise. My coworkers would shun you if you weren't in the right "clique" and there's so much backstabbing going on that I can't even begin to describe it. I'm currently looking now for something better.
Pros
retirement, freedom
Cons
admin, no advancement, over worked, low pay, nobody can be trusted, extremely demanding
Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  District IX ClinicsSeptember 17, 2013
As long as you do not voice your concerns - you will do fine! But if you speak out against "the click" in which certain employees are allowed to take supplies from the clinic or speak out against employees being awarded special privileges like doing errands on company (no personal leave turned in) time. While you are expected to run the clinics and not complain...then you might like working for them. I know this cannot be the norm throughout the entire state, but that is how it was.
Pros
8am-5pm great hours
Cons
low pay
low pay
direct care worker (Former Employee) –  whitfieldAugust 14, 2013
as a direct care worker the pay is extremely low and the turnover rate is extremely high, its a job that you take if you're not currently working at the time.
Pros
after six months you can apply for internal positions if availible.
Cons
short breaks, hard work, low pay, sometimes unprofessional.
How do they expect people to make a living??
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  MississippiJuly 11, 2013
Working for the state of MS is not favorable. The pay and benefits are horrible but yet they demand so much from you, from the application/interview process to the job(s). You could wait for months to receive an interview or know of your status for a job you've applied for. They make it hard to make a living for hard working people and their families, and don't offer raises!

STATE OF MISSISSIPPI, DO BETTER AND PAY THE PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING FOR YOU BETTER!!!!!
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
pay/salary, hours, not much room for advancement, long application/interview process
dead end
anonymous employee (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 20, 2013
the only way to advance at the MS state government is to sit at your desk the longest. Supervisors are generally people to dumb to find other jobs. Pay is very, very low. Productivity is not rewarded, it is punishable (by making you do the work your co-workers should be doing).
Pros
time to fill out job applications, holidays and time off
Loved being with the children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJanuary 28, 2013
I assisted the teacher and the students with the classwork.
Pros
students
Cons
doesn't pay much