State of Mississippi Employee Reviews in United States

Not a good place to work if you have small kids and aren't able to work more than 8 hr
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJuly 16, 2016
I agree with the comment above, this is a job you take it for not working at the time but are looking. This is also no a great place to work if you have child because of the mandatory over time that is very unexpected. It's a CNA job without having to have certification and without the pay former worker for 11 months.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Low pay, unprofessional
great place to work and learn
DHS-Supervisor lll (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJuly 15, 2016
I learned an abundance of essentials at my current, as well as former employments. I realized early on that patients and empathy go a long way. I also learned the importance of policies and procedures for the state. DHS was definitely an environment for continued advancement. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to work here.
So, I would say the most enjoyable part of my job is helping the clients.
Medicaid Specialist (Current Employee) –  Senatobia, MSJuly 9, 2016
Typical work day is pretty busy, but easy to manage. Co-workers are great and the benefits are excellent. I've learned how to interact with the public at a greater more experienced level.
Loved it!
Mississippi Development Authority (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 23, 2016
The job was everything that I hoped for it to be. Very laid back and casual. I loved my co-workers as well as the management. I wasn't closely supervised and had the chance to work on my own.
This Job is Not Worth It.
Family Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJanuary 30, 2016
The only pro is the holidays and the benefits are not too shabby. Everything, and I mean everything, else is a sham. Horrible work environment, if you speak your mind, you are doomed, and you basically work 24/7. You will have no social or personal life. Don't take this job, even for the experience. It isn't worth it.
Pros
Holidays, Benefits
Cons
Pay stinks, Management is tyranical, you will have no life.
loved my co-workers, managers and clients served
Project Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 14, 2015
worked mostly by scheduled appointments, but willing to help at any given time. Served the public by making use of my bilingual skills, I maintained busy with translation of policies to meet deadlines.

I learned about some of the many areas of the Health and Human Services Department. I truly enjoyed all aspects of my job. I loved the very supportive management, co-workers and schedule flexibility. The hardest part was to say good bye.
Pros
flexible schedule
Perfect Internship
Campaign Intern for U.S. Senator Thad Cochran (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJuly 27, 2015
Learned a lot of valuable work lesson like how to approach others and communicate with new people. Gained a vast knowledge in various fields of the real working world,
Pros
Great experience
Cons
A lot of door to door walking.
It's a job.
medicaid (Current Employee) –  missississippiJuly 24, 2015
Paid holidays, reliable retirement.

Underpaid, overworked - work environment can be anywhere from bearable to downright hostile. Management is controlling and nonstop demanding. Thankless work.
Pros
Paid holidays, personal time off accrual
Cons
micromanagement, favoritism
I enjoy learning different things everyday
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  JacksonJuly 7, 2015
A lobby full and everyone is there to see the doctor. I make sure that everyone had signed in and filled out all their paperwork. I make sure that the patient I call is comfortable and conversational. My co workers are very supportive and helpful, we work as a team. I really enjoy taking care of people whether they are sick or not, old or young. The hardest thing is seeing the terminally ill children.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
not enough pay
Awesome place to work.
HARRISON COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJune 14, 2015
Learned a unlimited amount about criminal law. Work on my first computer term. Learn a lot of new program. Learn all about Grand Jury and Indictments. Worked with a very experienced team. Well organized corporoation.
Time at the Pike County Health Department
Director IV (Former Employee) –  McComb, MSJune 13, 2015
In 25 Years of working at the Pike County Health Department, a typical day was never typical. The best part of the job is helping some one who really needs your help and appreciates it, you step back at the end of the day and smile. The hardest part of the job, is some one who comes in and has an attitude and you smile and never let the attitude effect you, because you know this person needs help but is having a hard time dealing with reality. What I learned is, life is to be enjoyed true enough, but one of my enjoyments is being an office and proving what skills I still have to offer. This I miss and am ready to be back in an office. I miss working at the Health Department and my co-workers, they were not just my sub-ordinates they were my friends and we stay in touch.
Pros
monthly leave that rolled over
Cons
Management in Jackson had problems backing up District people
This job is perfect for someone who enjoys public service!!!
Special Project Officer III (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMarch 29, 2015
Record Keeping, some knowledge of laws, and excellent communication skills needed.

I love serving the public and I hope to be in public service for the rest of my career.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
All the good food places nearby.
Very Hostile lace too work.
CS first EW in the end (Former Employee) –  Greenwood,MS.March 5, 2015
Ok so your getting a fair warning,I only wished someone would have warned me. Taking this job was a bad move, I was literally in h$ll from 8 until 5,my only comfort were lunch breaks and going home. I worked in The Greenwood, MS. division the director there is a bully and a micromanager tyrant. Their turnover rate is very high she is rude to the customers, and DHS workers. If you like directors that reprimand you in front of clients and others, and who stands over your shoulder all day this job is for you. While one may be lead to believe this reviewer is just lazy, go there as a client or just sit in the front lobby and observe her, you will see this bully in action. I ray daily For God to forgive me for quitting a job when so many other are in need of one. It was just that bad.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
your training and work environment is hostile.
Worst state to work for!
Environmentalist (Current Employee) –  JacksonFebruary 2, 2015
It's all a political game. I agree w 1 of the other reviewers....as long as you don't voice your opinion, you may be able to keep your job. And if you are apart of a certain"click" you WILL be protected. ALL of the head hunchos; promote and encourage bullying, harassment, and retaliation. If you voice your opinion or complain, you WILL be retaliated against by the ENTIRE agency and all of the negativity comes from high up. Supervisors don't have a voice, miromanagement is HUGE. They do not want employees who just want to mind their own business and do their work. They will deny you from trainings, but instead write u up for missing a fake in-service implemented to pick on "you"; the person who complains or speaks their mind......if you can deal with being a part of a "click" who has no morals, values or no conscious then the state is definitely for you!
Pros
none other than being off on weekends
Cons
promote violence, low pay, deny training opportunities, huge micromanagement issues
Cons out weighs the pros by far. Don't do it!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus,MSOctober 6, 2014
Great people to work with but poor management and training. The office is under staffed which means heavy work loads. Pay is very low for the amount of work.
Pros
paid holidays, personal leave time, off on weekends
Cons
very low pay, heavy work load, under staffed, high insurance deductible, poor benefits with high rates.
Great leave time; Good insurance and retirement
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 29, 2014
It was a good decision to have worked for the State. Only disadvantages, pay lags behind private sector and cost of living raises are infrequent.
Pros
the amount of holiday and leave time available
Cons
infrequent raises
Very rewarding
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Holly Springs, MSSeptember 10, 2014
I learned from working at the State of Mississippi that there are many hard working social workers and supportive staff who are in this field of practice because they want to help people in their time of need. Unfortunately, the major stake holders do not place a high enough value for this specialty which has resulted in poor work performances and poor morale.
Pros
paid time off and retirement package
Cons
unaffordable health insurance and high case loads
It was a very nice to place to work.
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSAugust 18, 2014
I really enjoyed going to work everyday and I had great co-workers. I was happy to be able to assist patrons with finding a job. It was difficult when the patrons would come in to complain about their unemployment and we were actually the employment side. But all around it was a wonderful place to work.
Great Place to work
Database Administrator / SAP BASIS Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 14, 2014
Raises are few and far between as the state legislature has not passed a raise for state employees in years.

It is a very rewarding place to work.
Terrible pay, terrible people and terrible benefits
State of MS, DPS, State Trooper (Current Employee) –  Statewide.December 16, 2013
This was my dream job until I started seeing all of the politics effect every aspect of it. At first I couldn't believe it and didnt want to. I went through 22 weeks of training which was pure hell just to be screwed around, transferred all over the state and also have NO help or pay raise. My coworkers would shun you if you weren't in the right "clique" and there's so much backstabbing going on that I can't even begin to describe it. I'm currently looking now for something better.
Pros
retirement, freedom
Cons
admin, no advancement, over worked, low pay, nobody can be trusted, extremely demanding

State of Mississippi Reviews by Location