State of Montana

State of Montana Employer Reviews

Productive place to work
Social Services Case Manager (Former Employee), Superior, MTAugust 1, 2014
Pros: good schedule and benefits
A typical day was meeting with people processing benefits
I can not even start to make a list of things I learned over the years many many lessons
The hardest part of the job was not always being able to help people as much as you would of liked to
the best part was all the people you encounter on the way from the people you are serving to the people – more... in different agencies that you work along side – less
Serving the people
Montana State Representative HD 47 (Former Employee), Helena, MTJune 13, 2014
Pros: feeling of accomplishments like no others
Cons: publically on displayed with the media complaining when you actually used your medical benifits.
Serving the people of Montana was such an honor, one I shall always cherish. Yet as every Citizen is essentially your boss I do not understand why they complain when you actually use your benefits. Case in point. We had the need to go to the hospital and then every liberal opponent took the media complaining I was wasting tax payer dollars.

This showed – more... the obvious inability for my 'bosses' to understand how health benefits work. it was this sort of thinking and knee jerk activity that made it a challenge to work for the people. – less
BUSY, FREE FOR ALL
Child Protection Specialist (Current Employee), Great Falls, MTFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: work load lack of support disorganized training
Work load excessive with minimal support/training. Difficult establishing the connections that make the job so worthwhile because time available per family on case load is limited by the amount of work that needs to be accomplished in a day. Could be a rewarding job.
challenging, stressful and rewarding
Staff Attorney for MDT (Former Employee), Helena, MTFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: forty hour work weeks and good benefits.
Cons: frequent travel to distant cities.
There were no typical days. Some days required travel to distant cities for trials or hearings, and others involved brief writing at my desk and many tasks in between.

This job required specialized knowledge of Montana eminent domain law, the rules of evidence and civil procedure and a working knowledge highway construction.

Jury trials were both – more... the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Lots of talk and little walk
Confidential (Former Employee), MontanaJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: cya environment, lots of talk and little walk
In terms of employee development, their is none. In recruitments you will see employer of choice or come grow with us but once in be prepared to stay status quo.

Once in, keep your head down. If you shine you will be eliminated.
You don't want to shine above your manager. Its a CYA environment.
good food
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Anaconda, MTJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: good work inviorment
making the deserts was my favorite part. I loved the staff and liked how we worked as a team.
Bad Moral with Bad Administration
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Deer Lodge, MTJanuary 7, 2014
Its hard to get up and enjoy going to work at the Montana State Prison
Productive and fast paced work place.
Dishwasher / Janitor, Shelby and Deer Lodge (Former Employee), Deer Lodge, MTDecember 24, 2013
Worked 3:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. shift 5 days a week, operated commercial dishwasher in high-volume kitchen, maintained clean, sanitry, organized work area at all times. Swept and mopped floors, emptied trash, cleaned restrooms, hallways, operated buffers, wiped down and sanitized all surface areas. Worked with a great team.
Open minded call center group with sense of family
Unemployment Insurance Examiner, Salary (Former Employee), Helena, MTDecember 24, 2013
Pros: flexible hours and tours
Logging onto a phone system in a call center arena was first and foremost. Opening all pertaining systems to deal with the daily communications with claimants and employers. Educating claimants and employers on requirements and procedures and timelines for the claim process. Communicated with co-workers and management on certain claims and situations. – more... Open door policy and no time frame when speaking with a claimant.
The hardest part of the job was telling the claimant that there was no estimated time for their claim to be processed. Having to give a claimant information but not dates and timeframes was difficult, especially when dealing with their monies.
The most enjoyable part of this position was the friendships developed between co-workers and the openness to discuss problems or situations. – less
Great place to work!
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Helena, MTDecember 16, 2013
Pros: everything!
Cons: salary cap at current job level
Provided a variety of administrative support. If it needed to be done, I got it done! Worked with people on all levels to complete work efficiently.
Motivated and Educated
Department of Justice (Current Employee), Helena, MTDecember 9, 2013
Job seeker with many qualifications seeking position to maximize skill set.
A unique work environment which offered challenges on a day to day basis.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Deerlodge, MTOctober 21, 2013
Pros: free meals, great benefits
Cons: negative environment, long drive, no compensation
A day in the life at Montana State Prison offered an array of different work areas and units. Working at Montana State Prison broadened my skills such as communication, being patient, record keeping, filing, direct supervision and use of restraints.

Many co-workers of mine were easy to get along with and had a good attitude about work. Working with – more... these co-workers made my work environment easy to deal with and made the days go along smoothly. The hardest part about this job was the negative environment of prison life. The most enjoyable part of working there was the different work environments each day. – less
fast paced work environment
Drill Instructor, Sergeant (Former Employee), Deer Lodge, MTOctober 12, 2013
Pros: free meals, weight room, holiday and vacation time
Cons: keeping an intensity level for 10 hours, no room to advance
Marching the platoon to conduct work details, conducting PT running in formation singing cadence, confronting offenders on their attitudes and thinking errors whiles maintaining a daily schedule.
I learned how to conduct Drill and Ceremony, Serve write ups, how to utilize mechanical restraints.
I felt management needed improvement as far as consistently – more... working together.
I was fond of most of my coworkers we always had each others back when we needed it the most.
The hardest part of the job was handling offender manipulation.
The most enjoyable part of the job hearing the success story of an ex offender that took the knowledge we gave him and ran with it. – less
investigate reports of child abuse and neglect on children
Child Protection Specialist (Current Employee), Bozeman, MTOctober 2, 2013
very emotionally draining profession. very difficult to manage your personal life without the job interferring at some point.
Great people to work with
Auditor I (Former Employee), Helena, MTSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: work life balance, co-workers
Cons: management/supervisors unqualified and power hungry
Enjoyed working with my co-workers, pay was acceptable. The work life balance was great, loved the flexible schedule.
Management was clueless and power hungry.
Stepping stone to further my career in Law in Forcement
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Deer Lodge, MTSeptember 9, 2013
It's been a great 6 years at Montana State Prison. Everyday is something new and rewarding. I am ready to move on from Montana State Prison, and move to what I am really passionate about and that is a Police Officer. I want to protect and serve a community. Given the opportunity I know I can succeed.
Great benefits
Civil Engineer Tech (Former Employee), Wolf Point, MTSeptember 1, 2013
Pros: benefits were a plus.
Cons: not enough overtime.
Employment was great. The benefits package was unmatched. The only thing was it was a summer job only.
old unchangable tactics
CNA (Former Employee), Columbia FallsAugust 30, 2013
Pros: free lunch, benefits
Cons: rumors, pay is behind, rules that are unchangable and too old school, working with old people from the stone age
management is bad, all a bunch of old women, not interested in change and want things done only one way. i wouldnt recommend this job for young people. dedication and hard work wasnt recognized, only the mistakes. working your butt of doesnt get you anything until youve worked over 1,040 hours or you get a position which takes forever. until then they – more... can fire you without it being "personal" yet at the same time, its all personal. also, good people were fired and people that made mistakes over and over got a slap on the hand, all taken from personal experience. things definitely need improvement. i thought it was better than private pay homes, but im disappointed to say i was wrong. also alot of drama, back talking, rumors, ect. this place is nothing but trouble. – less
State government
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Helena, MTJune 27, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: its political
Job security is great and the pay is ok and the benefits are good. Its very political.
Tax Credit Specialist and Eligibility Auditor (Current Employee), State Auditor's OfficeJune 6, 2013
Pros: own office, flexible hours
Cons: unstable program
I enjoy working for the State of Montana but my options are limited.