State of Nebraska Employee Reviews in United States

Great group of people to work with.
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, NEAugust 20, 2016
I loved this staff and working for the State of Nebraska. It is time for me to move on to further my career in a different field of work. I worked at the front office and learned a great deal about multi-tasking and time management.I handled highly sensitive information and typed reports, pre-sentence reports along with answering busy phones.

The hardest part of the job was working a few evenings a week and the continual changes due to State processes.

The most enjoyable aspect of this job was my fellow co-workers and Management.
Pros
Staff, pay and State benefits
Cons
Evening hours and State processes
Work not so fun
Administrative Assistant-Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 20, 2016
Changes are going on steady moving everyone in different directions and it is not clear what is expected. And it can be frustrating trying to do your job and other things as well. It is a great job opportunity.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Drinking Water Program
Adult Probation District 3 (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 14, 2016
My experience was with an excellent manager and dedicated coworkers. My supervisor provided me with the freedom to make improvements and to implement efficiency practices in order to make my position more effective. The most enjoyable part of the job was the independence to do my job in the best way that I could with minimal supervision. I also had wonderful coworkers.
Pros
Great location, good benefits, many opportunities for advancement.
Lots of back stabbers
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Beatrice, NEJuly 9, 2016
Not a good place to work, first off everyone knows each other or are related and more than willing to Stab each other in the back!
Lazy Managers and Shift Supervisors, Never in my Life seen so Many Smokers and All have to take a Break all at once n take 20- 30 minutes and take at Least 6 breaks a night then they have to rush rush everything before end of shift. Some homes are alot more orginized then others.
Everything you learn in class you may as well throw out the window because once you get out on the homes it is a whole different ball game . They pressure you to learn everything Fast and get Upset if you dont feel comfortable doing things.
You get burnt out with the job FAST!!!
Pros
Good benifets
Cons
To many to list
Now is not the time.
State of Nebraska OCIO (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 8, 2016
I have supported this client for 18 years. I am one of 4 leaders for all IT development and review. New Governor appointees are replacing all of us with new SOHO experienced and helpdesk level one workers. Look for the results in a news story soon.
Pros
Was good
Cons
You now have zero voice in design decisions.
Fun, Laid back workplace
CDAC (Current Employee) –  South Sioux City, NEJuly 6, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to meet and care for new clients throughout the siouxland area. I have learned how to be more compassionate and understanding.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
A lot of driving
Professional office located in the state office building in Lincoln, NE
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 28, 2016
I worked in several different positions while working for the State of Nebraska, Dept of Administrative Services I worked for the Dept. of Revenue, Dept of Corrections, and Dept of Roads.
Pros
Great hours
Productive AND happy people.
Office Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 3, 2016
Work load was perfect, not too little, not too much. The supervisors are interactive with clerks and not just in a critique manner. Flexible with hours and needing time off. Everybody is friendly to one another, always a hello in passing by. I even experienced chivalry!
Pros
Great interaction between supervisor(s) and clerks
Cons
Difficult to get hired on permanent
Very stressful environment
Correctional Canteen Operator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 31, 2016
Management is clueless. They do not take the time to address employee issues.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to go home at the end of the day without being mandatoried to work a 16 hour shift.
Cons
Difficult to know what is expected
Human Resources Manager, Payroll and Benefits (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 29, 2016
Changes in management made it difficult to produce due to changing expectations.

So many people are stuck in their ways.
Pros
Good, hardworking employees
Cons
Too many managers
A bad experience.
Health & Human Services Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 28, 2016
I was interviewed and brought in with the understanding I would be replacing my manager's team lead. Within a few weeks of going through training, I learned our team lead was not leaving and I would not be career-pathing into a team lead role.

What followed was a comedy of errors. The team lead on my team initiated offensive behavior towards team members on an almost daily basis and behaving in petty ways and trying to use a level of authority her role did not permit. My supervisor was a micro-manager who would give vague answers and expect me to self-improve.

When it became clear I started looking for a new role, I went from being his team's top performer to being the team's weak link overnight.
Pros
a pension plan I suppose.
Cons
mandatory hour long lunch breaks, no flexibility in schedule for life needs.
Rewarding career
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMay 18, 2016
The only thing that would make this position better would have been to make it a permanent position. Working with my clients and coworkers was very enjoyable and fulfilling.
Great benefits
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 13, 2016
Good benefits for a typical 8-5 job. Work with all sorts of people.Easy to move up. Co-workers are all types of people. Only down side is minimal raises.
A job is what you make it.
Communications Liaison, Public Health (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 5, 2016
A lot of disgruntled people working for the State, still a good place to work, would like to stay on but this job wasn't for me.
The benefits are amazing.
County Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Plattsmouth, NEMarch 31, 2016
I love the work. It's very interesting and something new everyday. The retirement is nice and the pay is comparable to other places around. The vacation and sick pay are wonderful and you get holidays and weekends off.
Management and politics are defeating the purpose
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  BSDCMarch 9, 2016
Management's attitude is to run this like a government and not a business. Management will not allocate resources for manpower. As a former shift supervisor during a weekly management meeting, I was told by my administrator that staff needs overtime to pay off cars and houses they can't afford. This is why BSDC cannot keep help because the workers are short staffed and those above them pile on more work and do not lift a finger to help. The employees get burnt out and afraid!

Why are they frighten and tired? When working 16 hours days and making a mistakes which could lead to being put in jail, having a public permanent record which will never allow you to work around vulnerable people and/or being fired... looms over their heads consonantly, until you can't take it any more! Management will not work directly with the individuals because of this fear of punishment, yet they do nothing to help relieve it! They criticize the staff for being lazy.

Actuality there are no real managers working for DHHS! Not one including HR knows how to plan! The management team has no concept of the principles of management therefore none of their plans will ever succeed because they lack of elements to planning. When you expose this flaw you will receive backlash and be demoted or fired. If you are a good person and trying to help the people you are caring for, you will be abused and mistreated which leaves the bad ones behind.

We elected a governor who knows business and was going to apply it? State Of Nebraska needs business leaders and not labels or experts!
Pros
You build relationships with the individuals you serve.
Cons
No management!
Seeing a finished job be sent out is a good thing.
Finishing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 2, 2016
Management is sometimes telling the wrong info to the wrong people.

People need to have more of a thick skin attitude.

Management needs not to be afraid of making errors.

I like to work hard.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Comunication
I have been in Management and I enjoy it.
Maintanence (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 18, 2016
I like to work for the State of Nebraska on doing Maintenance. I find it helpful in the long run because i will be able to help fix things at my future job, or anywhere need be.
Pros
learn new things to fix that i didnt know how to.
Cons
sometimes parts wont work right gets fusterating but a little break helps then i return to it.
Loved the hours that I worked. ( after last 2 jobs that was 60+, hours
Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 1, 2015
Loved the hours. 7-3:30. after working 60+ hours at the other jobs, this was a needed change. Worked with great people in my office. didn't know anything about inmates, but now I have a good insite.
Pros
Hours that I worked
Cons
had to watch my back around the inmates
Love helping people
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 4, 2015
I enjoyed the work I did. I got to work with great people and help other great people. There were politics, but, that's any job. I learned a lot about different assistance programs and what it takes to be a social worker. The supervisors I worked with were great, the other employees were, too. The hardest part of the job was leaving something undone at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part was successfully helping someone with their situation.
Pros
helping people
Cons
not being able to help people

State of Nebraska Reviews by Location