State Of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Changing culture ... maybe
Minion (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 25, 2017
Good people. New managers are importing new ideas & methodologies
Some worker are open to and wish to initiate progressive change
Many others are career bureaucrats averse to change
Cons
Low pay, restrictive policies out of step with peer economy will continue to hinder growth and progress
okay
Park Ranger (Current Employee) –  Sapphire, NCSeptember 24, 2017
I was enrolled in some intense training that was overwhelming. I was required to go to 11 hours per day six days a week. When it was just in the park it was okay. I had a supervisor that favored other employees. It was the boys club.
Pros
I like the job.
Cons
the hours and law enforcemnt
it was ok
cook (Former Employee) –  Badin, NCSeptember 21, 2017
i didn't enjoy working there long hours lousy pay no benefits and no paid time off environment was lousy and it was very hard work not a friendly environment
Terrible arrogant management
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  NCSeptember 8, 2017
All politics. Some people can do whatever they want while others that are not American born but naturalized citizens are treated as unworthy. Nasty discriminatory behavior. Intimidation, harassment, retaliation when you complain. Everything is swept under the rug but when you are "different" you are constantly talked down to underminded and threatened with investigations for unfounded or made up reasons and threatened with written warnings.
Pros
Are there any
Great place to work.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 20, 2017
Great place to work. People are friendly and productive to get the business of the state of North Carolina don. I have enjoyed working for the state of North Carolina.
Great entity to work for as far as mobility
Deputy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 18, 2017
Working for the State of NC involving many different departments so the mobility is very good. The amount of paperwork involved in my position is heavy but several co-workers are placed in different divisions to assist with the process.
Busy Office
Judicial Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 17, 2017
Greeting the public and attorneys and parties in cases is the standard throughout the day. Lots of questions and requests for information and a big communication hub via telephone, email and in person. High stress enviornment and lots of prioritizing. Have to wear many hats and be comfortable changing tasks at a moments notice. Lots of working alone and working as a team.
Pros
Retirement savings account, good vacation and holiday schedule, offer many types of benefits
Cons
High stress, minimal opportunity to advance
correctional officer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 16, 2017
make sure area is secure. operate doors and switch board. transport inmates to locations. search lockers and persons, keep a detailed log of activity throughout the shift
fast paced and skill required
Agent/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 11, 2017
I have always enjoyed working for the state of NC in law enforcement, however it is apparent that there could be more compensation to the law enforcement agents who put their lives on the line for justice for the long hours required to work.
Worked for small 68 bed A&D unit of the state for 2 years
Clinical Director of psychiatric, medical staff (Current Employee) –  Black Mountain, NCAugust 2, 2017
If left to manage and practice with other physicians, the job would have been optimal. A major issue is excessive and, at times, micro management by administrators in central office (Raleigh). Though well-intentioned, this central management style lacked an organic understanding of our hospital's strengths as well as the needs of the community.
Pros
fair salary, health insurance, pension plan
Cons
political management
Job security
Probation/Parole Officer II (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 31, 2017
There is job security, however the job is mentally draining and management does not appreciate all of the hard work and effort you do, however if you are fortunate enough to be placed with a good group of people it makes the job easier.
busy, productive, and rewarding.
Owner Operated/ Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 25, 2017
Primarily responsible for tenants rents, deposits, fees, and file management. Improved curb appeal, Enforced occupancy policies. Contacted tenants in violation of policies to resolve violations. Sourced and selected contractors to perform necessary maintenance or repairs.
Pros
my own pace.
Cons
some home repair emergencies every now and then
Enjoyed working with the State of North Carolina, Employment Security Commision
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 21, 2017
A typical day at the State of North Carolina was very busy and enjoyable. I learned about the different departments within ESC and how each was different but yet the same. Management was easy to work with. The workplace culture was wonderful I got to work with a lot of wonderful people. The hardest part of my job was working with offices all over the state trying to get a correct inventory of all furniture in each office. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with wonderful people.
Pros
Wonderful people that I got to work with.
Cons
Everything changed with election of new government.
not very fun atmosphere very demanding
Contruction Worker (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, NCJuly 21, 2017
this company wants you to work long hard hours for little pay an not feel any type of emotion about it a person like me didn't last long I'm not a push over or a butt kisser an that what you have to be to get ahead in a company like this I don't mind working hard but I wont sacrifice my integrity as a man to do it i
Nc state
Deputy (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJuly 18, 2017
Working for an elected official is by far the worst thing on the planet, because you serve at the pleasure of them. They can let you go in a matter of a second if they dont like you. I feel that some places within the State of NC government jobs are very unfair and are the least sympathetic
Juvenile Justice / front management of office
Work as a liaison (Current Employee) –  NCJuly 12, 2017
review and approve the reports from law enforcement and public in reference to filing a juvenile petition for either criminal charges or undisciplined
Pros
work with law enforcement at the court house
Cons
to be in the office all day when I am an out door person
Awesome
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, NCJune 29, 2017
I worked here for years and there was no place I would have rather been. But later management changes made my life a bit hellish. But over all I highly recommend this place.
A great place to work
Garnishment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 28, 2017
It is a fun environment and it is very important work. I am glad to be here. I am glad to have such supportive co-workers and would recommend this employer to anyone.
demanding job with low pay and extream micro managers
PROBATION PAROLE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 20, 2017
a typical day is making sure that your caseload is being supervised per policy. we deal with offenders on a daily basis and have to go by ourselves into areas of cities that local police will not go alone in. we are required to have a 4 year degree and yet we are paid with low wages. the worst part is being held accountable for things we have no control over.
Pros
co-workers and flexiable schedule
Cons
pay, managment, accountability issues.
Low Compensation and Monthly Pay
Former Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCJune 20, 2017
I worked in Corrections. I had previous experience, 7 years to be exact, but was not compensated for that. The starting salary, as with most NC state jobs,is below the national average and is an embarrassment. Like many teachers from this state, I had to seek employment elsewhere that provided a livable wage. Being paid once a month is a real headache. These professionals should be paid twice a month or every other week. I guess there's more interest to made by holding on to those funds for an entire month.
Pros
Unfortunately I can't honestly think of any
Cons
Low Compensation and Monthly Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State Of North Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

State Of North Carolina Reviews by Location