State Of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Nurse Analyst/Consultant (Former Employee) –  NCJuly 13, 2016
It was a great place to work. However, lots of changes currently, the state is going through reorganization. The state employment is shrinking. Work culture/and work life balance was good, but they took away some of those awesome benefits with re-org. Job stability is good.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
All the good benefits are going bye bye
good place to build experience but not your bank account.
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  NCAugust 12, 2016
The managers are not leaders . no advancement. low morale. no raises. very antiquated policies and redundant processes. no succession planning. When someone leaves, it takes months to get positions replaced creating larger workloads for others.
Pros
retirement, time off.
Cons
no raises, advancement opportunities
Team work very serious job
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NCOctober 18, 2016
I worked in a medium security all male prison for 2 years and a minimum all male prison for 5 years.The hardest part of the job was not knowing the truth from a con.I learned if you give respect you get respect in most cases.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
not enough pay
Worked with public and fellow Troopers it was great
North Carolina Highway Patrol / Motor Carrier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 16, 2016
Seeing how much weight each trooper could get each day, There was something new to learn each day. Working with different co-workers each day helped you learn different ways of doing the best job. Is trying to prevent someone losing their life and you couldn't was the hardest part of the job. Going home at the end of a shift to your loved one was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
making a game out of getting weight
Cons
not being able to work with everyone
Career Enhancement
Regional Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMarch 8, 2016
Regional Director of Operation for three states Managed multi able sites North Carolina Assisted living License and State Florida Licensed, including Directing Georgia communities. Extensive Marketing skills,Budgeting Strategic and Tactical planning, Program Development, Contract negotiation. Mostly problem solving and able to communicate on various levels with advertisers artists and media contacts. Policy and procedure formulations, team leadership and management skills. Well versed regarding Veteran Administration requirements for assisted living. My co- workers see me as a team player, I work with them to make sure I know the job as well as they do. I really like the jobs I have had and I am passionate about each and everyone. The most enjoyable time is learning about the residents and caring for them. Talking to them is very important that makes a successful Community.
Pros
geting to know different people. I am a people person that helps with a job in the health care.
Cons
when you lose long term resident that have been with you for years .
Productive but under paid
State Title and Tag Administrator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 8, 2016
Overworked for little pay. I am looking for a place to grow and advance but my department is not open for pay increase however I do love the position I am in.
Great place to learn skills
Tw2 (Current Employee) –  Hillsbourgh ncNovember 17, 2016
Learned a lot of skills operating big machines .met a lot of people learn safelty at high level .became more of leader mange time better. Wrk with others better
Pros
Skill u can keep
Cons
Low pay
Great experience for young workers
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 1, 2016
The experience was nothing short of amazing. The overall feeling of the camp was light and happy, and it paid well for a camp that lasted a week. A great job.
Enjoyed the work.
Grounds Keeper/General Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCFebruary 25, 2016
Working for this company was necessary to build my skills by making sure that the grounds were well maintained. Make sure that all products were stocked completely and neatly.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
long hours.
Working for the state of NC
Driver's License Examiner (Current Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCAugust 16, 2015
The state of NC is a wonderful place to work, but there are issues within the state that has caused me to investigate other opportunities. A typical day at work is servicing customers with excellent service and ensuring policies and procedures are followed. The management at the local level is wonderful to work for and the benefits are great compared to other businesses.
Pros
no nights or weekends
Cons
not many
I enjoyed being outside and the crew I worked with. Pay was decent.
Road Crew Worker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCApril 16, 2016
I really enjoyed this job we all worked well as a team.Being outside was good except when it got really hot.The heat at times was rough but would have to say I enjoyed this job a lot.Keeping me busy is what I like.
Pros
Good crew & being outside all day.
Cons
The heat at times and working in traffic...
fast pace
Deputy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 2, 2016
Person must be able to work with internal and external customers. This may include working the attorneys, judges, and the general public.
Cons
short staffed.
Nice to work at a park
Marina Clerk (Current Employee) –  Carolina Beach, NCSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: location, steady hours

Cons: the minimum wage, unpredictable schedule, turnover rate, zero benefits, treated like a seasonal even though you are kept longer, work harder than managers for less pay
Never a dull moment
Administrative Office of the Courts (Current Employee) –  Durham,NCJuly 6, 2012
People ask me what my average day is like and I say my day is anything but average. I interact with people from all walks of life and all levels of education. Mainly I deal with people believed to have committed a criminal act based upon the evidence presented to the court . I hear testimony from physicians and psychiatrists as well as the general public to determine if someone need to be involuntarily evaluated for mental health issues or substance abuse. The hardest part of my job is enduring the horrific images presented to the court as evidence of one persons criminal acts against another. The images never leave you. The enjoyment part is when I can help someone from being railroaded by the system and ensure that they get a fair hearing.
Pros
love my job that i do .
Cons
no pay raise in several years
Learned a great deal about insurance
Office of the Controller / Central Billing Office (Former Employee) –  325 N. Salisbury St, Raleigh, NC 27603August 4, 2013
This position allowed me to see and experience all the levels of billing insurance for the state psychiatric hospitals across NC including drug treatment centers. I started in the billing department and was promoted to Sr. Biller / follow-up, then Data Management.

When Central Billing was upgrading from ARBS (Accounts Receivable and Billing System) to AFFINITY, I was chosen as 1 of the 2 on the team to work on the project team and do testing for 2 years before it went live. Shortly after this began, my mother became critically ill and I was replace on the project team.
Pros
I love accounting / and numbers.
Cons
limited advancement within the department
Constantly changing workplace with excellent management and coworkers.
Provider Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 2, 2013
There was no typical day at work because the work load as well as the urgent timeliness was constantly fluctuating. As with any state position, the demand to keep up with the changing healthcare laws and regulations created an environment where learning new things happened very frequently. In my direct position, I worked as part of a team of wonderful coworkers and was fortunate to be under excellent management as well.
Pros
Productive learning atmosphere, great benefits.
Cons
Lots of staff turnover since new administration.
Excellent Staff all the way around
Chaplain Clerk, Librarian (Former Employee) –  Maury, NCOctober 19, 2015
This was very busy environment to work for. Required multitasking on day to day bases. Management was awesome to work for and all my co-workers and I worked great together and had great teamwork skills.
Pros
Getting to work with the patients and the Doctors
Cons
The long drive to work that I had.
decent
Social/Clinical Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2016
Typical state government environment, low pay, unorganized and disgruntled employees. There are a lot of very intelligent people that work here, but most of the good ones leave for more fruitful opportunities.
Not a bad place to work
Office Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Troutman, NCNovember 23, 2015
Not the best place for advancement or pay but overall a great place to work. No 2 days are alike. Can be challenging and a lot of fun. HR is some of the worst I have ever encountered.
Pros
Location, Schedual, Beinifits
Cons
Pay, HR, Managment
very rewarding position providing a much needed service for seniors
HOME INSTEAD SENIOR CARE (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 4, 2015
Management responsibility for office staff of 15 - 17. This included scheduling for clients and caregivers. Supervised two RNs and two client care managers who performed in home visits. Hosted meeting and parties for caregivers and met with them to keep aware of their concerns and needs. Handled all after hours needs of caregivers and clients for scheduling. Worked closely with weekend scheduler. My only negative of the job was being on call 24 hours , 7 days, 52 weeks. On the plus side, it was extremely rewarding to see the caregivers bond with their clients and to see the clients appreciation for the care and concern they received from us.
Pros
Providing a much needed service for seniors
Cons
Many many hours involved

State Of North Carolina Reviews by Location