State of Oregon Employee Reviews in United States

Great
Substitute care provider (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 25, 2016
I am writing this as a 20 word minimum. The state is filled with people who vary, and some are great others are not. I really hate that we have to fill this out.
Great team
Business Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 14, 2016
Very nice people to work with, a lot to learn from being involved in state projects. The hardest part is to gather information from different departments.
Pros
nice and helpful team
Cons
long approval process
Flexible and Friendly enviorment
Audits, Appeals and Hearings Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 8, 2016
Management was friendly and understanding. Team work was promoted and essential in everyday activity. There was no micro managing and allowed us to work at our own pace. However, advancement was somewhat discouraged amongst employees as there were most often candidates already in mind.
Pros
Flexibilty and understanding with family comes first
Cons
advancement was difficult due to hiring strategies
opportunity and frustration
Manager (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 26, 2016
State of Oregon offers many opportunities for hardworking, motivated people. Especially true as the state will begin to see many retirements in the near future. However, culture and direction are all set by the Governor, and the Governor's Office will be relatively unstable for the next 2.5 years.
test
Human Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Prineville, ORJune 21, 2016
I have no official review for this company. I am testing the website to see if it meets my expectations. I am not currently looking for employment.
State Caregiver Provider
Caregiver Provider (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJune 14, 2016
I enjoyed being a caregiver for my parents. I learned how to be more patient and compassionate. The hardest part of my job was watching my clients health declined. It is very rewarding knowing you are making a difference in their lives.
high stress but also generous salary
Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJune 8, 2016
A typical day at work is go-go-go. I never know what I am walking into and it is never the same day twice. I tend to like this as I need different kinds of activities to stimulate my mind. I have learned how to be compassionate while also assisting people to help themselves as much as they can within their circumstances. I have learned to be an exceptional listener and not to try to rush in and solve people's problems.

Management can be very helpful and are very 'human' with myself and my coworkers. I believe they advocate for us and have our best interest at heart.

My coworkers are all wonderful, highly qualified people who put 110% into their jobs. We all experience some burnt out but we also support one another and get through the tough times together.

One of the hardest parts of the job is the level of restrictiveness that is inherent in the environment. I would like to do more for my clients but the environment does not allow for particular types of intervention. Another difficult part of the job is learning the ins and outs of the correctional culture.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am able to make a lasting difference for a client or when they tell my supervisor that what I said to them changed something for them.
Pros
Good salary, job security, union representation
Cons
High stress, restrictive
Too many unqualfified micro-managers.
OS1 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 7, 2016
Helping people was FIRST for me, despite the tendency by management to micromanage.
Numbers aren't ALL that matter---PEOPLE DO!
Pros
Great Ins
Cons
Too many times it was the 'numbers game'
Excellent place of business
Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 20, 2016
Although I was working mainly as a volunteer, this location has some of the friendliest staff I have come to know, as they exhibited nothing but absolute kindness and expertise in the work field.
Fleet - Supply Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 20, 2016
Good place to work, but advancement not tied to performance. Great healthcare but no retirement, only an IRA. Workers have an unwarranted negative public perception.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Advancement
Fun job
Home care worker (Former Employee) –  La Grande, ORMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed working through DHS and the state of Oregon assisting the elderly and disabled It was a great way to meet new people and I felt good about assisting them in there days.
Pros
lots to do through out the day
Cons
hard not to get to know the people and loosing them is quite hard.
Awesome place to work
OS2 (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 10, 2016
I love working here. I have been working for the state for the past 15 months and if we were not moving this summer I would want to stay here.
Fast-paced data entry
Human Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 20, 2016
Training was thorough, great help when needed from leads. Great place to work if you are good with constant changes with processing procedures.
Fun people to work with
OREGON STUDENT ASSISTANCE COMMISSION (OSAC) (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 28, 2016
Excellent management that gives the tools to work with.
Slow paced.
Nice work environment near natural surroundings.
Less work pressure.
Flexible hours.
The State of Oregon is a great place to work
Interim Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 2, 2015
I worked for the state of Oregon for 16 years. If you are a hard worker there are lots of opportunities to advance. The culture is positive and supportive. In IT the hours can be crazy, but that comes with that type of work.
Pros
Good benefits
Excellent benefits/ Good pay
Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 19, 2015
This was a good stable job. Very hectic fast paced office. My manager was very intelligent and had great ideas. I worked mainly with the budget officer and we worked very well together. The most enjoyable part of my job was balancing our budget at each stage of the budgeting process. Only resigned to relocate to Arizona.
Great people and great expertise
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 24, 2015
The people have the knowledge and skill to get the job done. They have the integrity to always put the needs of the client first and then think of what else can be done to go the extra mile when needed
Was a great company when it started
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 22, 2015
Over the years the company reorganized and moved many functions to California. Good severance packages were provided to employees.
Fun, friendly, good hours.
Home Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Salem, OrOctober 21, 2015
A normal day of work would be meeting with the parent of the disabled teen and reviewing what needs I will need to do that day. I've learned how to understand the child more, since they are unable to talk. I really like the management here, I am able to work out whatever schedule works with me and however many hours I require. I do not have any co-workers that I see. The hardest part is always being able to understand their wants/needs. The most enjoyable part is being able to play with the child and spend time with them and make them happy.
Pros
Great schedule. Outcome of the job.
Cons
Not being able to fully communicate.
Psw
Personal Support Worker PSW (Current Employee) –  OROctober 5, 2015
Right now I am working with kids w/ disabilities. It is a very rewarding position as I get to help kids w/ needs on a daily basis.I am teaching them basic life skills & how to associate in a public place. It is very rewarding to see them succeed.
Pros
Working at my own schedule
Cons
No benefits, vacation time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Oregon. Our community is ready to answer.