State of Oregon Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Admin (Current Employee) –  OregonJuly 12, 2017
This is great place to work . The co workers are all pretty wonderful. Work life balance is very important here , a priority. Benefits are amazing ! There is room to advance and grow.
Busy, high work volume,
screener/cps (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 23, 2017
Hardest working people ever. High workloads, a lot of overtime, no balance between work and personal. Management is ineffective, and does not address the issue of chronic and massive staff turnover.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Massive over time, no personal life
Very interesting and challening work
Case Worker/Department Health Human Services (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJune 23, 2017
The State of Oregon was a great place to work. I found the training and work very interesting. The staff with whom I worked were dedicated to their work and very much team players.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
pay
Not recommended
Human Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORJune 17, 2017
Corrupt Mgmt is terrible at holding employees accountable and generally do not have control over the office. Lots of gossip, drama, and general laziness. Employees are not reprimanded when necessary. Lots of bullying & harassment with no accountability. Benefits are great, and the work is great. Helping people become self sufficient feels amazing but the level of stress and anxiety you will obtain from the terrible working environment isnt worth it.
Pros
Employee benefits (health insurance, pay, retirement), helping clients become self sufficient
Cons
Office politics, gossip, drama, corruption, anxiety, stress
Caring for the elderly and disabled
Homecare Worker (Current Employee) –  Albany, ORJune 15, 2017
I would go to their homes and help with their ADL's,
I loved listening to their personal history.
Management was good and caring.
Loss of a client was hard.
Pros
Living history from consumers
Cons
low pay and few benefits
Productive company to work for
Case Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 5, 2017
Working for the state is interesting. This occupation keeps you busy. Assistants are constantly in contact with Oregon courts and incarcerated facilities. I love a great challenge, and the State of Oregon has given me that.
Pros
Workload, co-worker support, etc
Cons
Favortism, micro-management, etc
productive
Office support (Former Employee) –  portlamd orJune 5, 2017
lack of training and qualified training , poor supervision and management. high turn over of employees. lack of job opportunities and promotions. lack of communication
Stressful job
Social Service Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 23, 2017
Working for the State of Oregon in the position I did was very difficult, given the nature of the job and clientele I dealt with on a day to day basis. At least I knew I was helping children.
Management made it more difficult by giving mixed messages on how to perform the job. One day it's OK to do one thing and when that same action was performed on another day, I was told that was not OK.
Extra training was not provided when you made a mistake. Instead, mgmt gives you a "fact finding" and then disciplines you with a reduction in salary. Instead of trying to correct the action through proper training, it was fact findings until they have enough to "discharge" you.
Pros
Sick time, vacation time and comp time, benefits
Cons
This review is the same as the first one
Live-in Caregiver (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORMay 9, 2017
Everything I said in the first review applies to this review. It was the same job. There must have been a glitch in the indeed.Com software. I don't know what went wrong.
I enjoy helping people and learning along the way.
Housekeeping, give medications, and grooming (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 8, 2017
To all the jobs and careers that I have done I always did excel to all my employers expectations. With the awards from some of them and letters of outstanding performance. As a person I put all of 100 % on everything that needs to be done and done right.
it was very productive and cut throat environment everyday
lead cook (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, OR 97070May 5, 2017
It was a very hectic day but we made it through the day. made family style meals for 700 people with different people everyday I learned to teach people things and learned many different things everyday
Pros
learned something new everyday, learned how to be flexible
Cons
everything
loved the baby
childcare worker (Former Employee) –  Sutherlin, ORApril 29, 2017
it was a fun job to take care of the infant. teaching him things made him grow and learn. everyday was a new discovery to him. watching him learn was amazing. was sad when the nov Came to an end.
Pros
playing with the child
Cons
temper tantrums
A good place to work with varied duties throughout the day
Baker, Cook and logistics coordinatior (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 29, 2017
A good place to work if one doesn't mind the variety of job assignments.My daily duties were baking in the morning and cooking in the afternoon The shifts are normally 8 hours with some occasional overtime,
Management and culture
Training and Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 24, 2017
Management style and culture at the Oregon Health Authority are incredibly non-supportive and emotionally draining. For several years, I have felt undervalued. Expectations are unclear, and the workload is extremely high, such that it is humanly impossible to complete the work within 40 hours per week, while overtime is not allowed. My reason for giving Job Work/Life Balance a rating of two stars is only because there is ample sick leave, and there is sometimes the option to work from home.
Great Place to work.
Laundry Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  OregonMarch 24, 2017
With the exception of the long hours you have to spend in the workplace everything was great. management was friendly, and everyone knew everyones names
Pros
free lunch
Child nutrition=working on a hamster wheel
Child Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 24, 2017
Do you enjoy running on a hamster wheel? Child nutrition involves constantly running, chaos in the workplace, with a very unrealistic workload. My experience with the child nutrition office is cattiness and petty grudges that really make you dread going to work. These positions come up often and these reasons reflect why there is so much turnover. A huge red flag for job seekers.
Pros
If you enjoy stress, burnout and no work-life balance
Cons
Job burnout, cattiness, constant chaos and turnover
Exceptional training opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 20, 2017
Constructively busy throughout day with great sense of accomplishment when time to leave for home.

I enjoyed the interaction of all staff - and had multiple opportunities to learn, create, and use my full potential of skills.

It was difficult to leave and move on to another location.
Great people, unprofessional system
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 19, 2017
Working with the Clients was amazing, helping people find resources and helping them be more self sufficient is why I got into this field. It is difficult to maintain positive in an environment where colleagues don't complete their assigned duties and management does not attempt to encourage employees through feedback and professional development.
Pros
Excellent Client's and the work itself is great.
Cons
Weak teams and lots of gossip.
Fun and Exciting Learning experience
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 16, 2017
I never thought I would have the chance and oppertunity to become a cook for one and at that the lead cook and supervisor of the kitchen crew. It was amazing
Vareity of Opportunities to learn and gain valuable work experience
Lead Baker (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 13, 2017
There was need for improvement and communication. Work environment was stressful and demanding. The salary was not acceptable to the level of experience.